Saison-Brett - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Saison-BrettSaison-Brett

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-13-2007

Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison-Brett Alström Bros
Reviews: 711 | Hads: 2,947

I have had this bottled and on tap and it is better bottled. The cork releases with a pop which gets louder as the beer ages releasing herbal and spicy hop aromas mingling with cidery, yeasty fruit aromas with a little barnyard funk that gets more pronounced as the beer ages. It pours a lively, hazy straw with a fizzy quickly dissipating, fluffy head. In older versions the head is more pillowy and persistent. Bread and biscuit malt flavors support and mellow the tart, citrusy funky, earthy saison yeast flavors. Mid-palate reveals some peach. The palate finishes dry and tart with a moderate hop accent. The Brettanomyces really shows up with a very finely bubbled, soft, moussey texture that becomes more luscious and alluring as the beer ages. (750 characters)

Pours out a nice clear blonde with some very, very mild haziness to it an enough carbonation to lift an F-18. The head is thick, white and frothy; in fact it might be what you’d expect angels to be floating on in heaven!
Grass, apples, mild tangerine, lemon zest and other earthy aromas come through.
Sharp and bitter, the hops come out as it hits the corners of your mouth. It’s sweet overall and very carbonated. Apple and pear flavors do come through in the background.
This is medium to light bodied.
Overall, this is an excellent beer and represents the style well in my opinion. If you think otherwise, then lend me your taste buds! (643 characters)

From about a year earlier ('13 bottle)
Gargantuan white frothy head, slightly hazy golden body, ample carbonation.
Smells perfumy, barnyard funk is there, some herb/ basil, light spice. Very nice, refreshing scent and yet complex to the nose. I'm hoping this tastes as phenomenal as it now smells, as well as how I recall it tasting the first and only time I tried this a couple of years ago..
It certainly does. First sip recalls how flavorful this is, with the spice notes just right, hop very well-balanced in the mix. There's the unusual bubble-gum-like flavor (to some may be like apple) and finish that must be credited to the use of the brettanomyces. Bready malts, juicy, and then a drier end with some prickly feel upon the finish. Much going on here, and it's all right.
Creamy smooth mouth, medium carbonation, refreshing, complex. For me this is the best saison I've ever had. 5's across the board when I get this impression. Extra bottle to cellar a bit (not for much longer).
...Update: Just popped the other cellared '13. Still fantastic. Much of the same impressions, although a bit more prickly, spicy and dry-finishing than I recall upon having this when purchased like last time.
Still the best of the style I've tasted, although if aging I'd recommend no more than 6-8 months. I like this better "fresh." (1,327 characters)

This is such a wonderful beer possibly my favorite. It does best with a little age. Typically give it 1 to 2 years to get maximum complexity and funk. I would not recommend drinking it fresh. The freshest one I've had was very lacking in all the things that make the beer great. When had at the right time this is the kind of beer you can take a drink of, swallow, then exhale through your nose and get all kinds of flavor explosions for several breaths. Complex and funky are the operative words. (497 characters)

Gorgeous, slightly hazy amber/peachy color, 2- 3 fingers of frothy, lacy head. Amazing, complex aroma and flavor of pear, white grape, peach, graham cracker, pineapple, guava, horseblanket, barnyard funk, clove and coriander, earthy hops, and even a touch of banana.

Creamy body (for the style) with lots of mouth-coating goodness in the very lengthy, dry finish.

This one is about as wonderful as a saison gets. (414 characters)

Appearance: When poured into my pint glass (messed up and should have used a tulip), the first thing I noticed was the excessive, foamy head (at least 3 fingers worth). The head retention was good and it had light lacing. The body was a hazy amber.

Smell: The earthy essence of the Brett is front and center; there is almost a little funk smell along with a little fruitiness. Overall, it's a nice smell.

Taste: The funky Brett taste is the most noticable aspect of the taste. There is also citrus, malt, and biscut flavors. It's a complex taste that mixes sweet and sour. It's a dry beer that has little bitterness.

Mouth: The medium bodied beer finishes dry and clean. The carbonation is there too.

Overall: This might be the best Saison I've had. The beer is balanced in all aspects. You could grab 2 bottles, drink one now, and save one for a year or 2 and probably have the same results. (912 characters)

When it first opens a rush of floral notes hits you. The eggshell white head about 2.5" thick. Lots and lots of carbonationation. It was like looking at a champagne glass. Very light straw color like SRM 1. Citrus and floral notes followed earthy notes. Stronger than the Tank 7 and can pick up on the Brett yeast. Medium body followed with light lacing. So many flavors jump out like pineapple, lemon, grass and white peach. I am so glad I waited until the release of the 2013 to drink the 2012. Boulevard really out did themselves this time, may need to get a second bottle of the 2013 to age as well. (603 characters)

The golden colored body that was poured out of the 750 ml bomber, was cloudy. The bomber was capped with a cork, and wire cage, and the long pop, and the ample gun smoke were evidence of a good seal, and generous carbonation. The head that formed atop the pour was four fingers thick, and very stubborn. The smell was very rustic, ad the beer was clearly blessed with smells of wheat crackers, horse blanket, hay, orange peel, and white pepper. This is just exactly what I want a Saison to smell like.

The taste was dry, biscuit like, with an unmistakable presence of Brett. There was some bready sweetness, and a hint of pepper and lime juice in the finish. The combination of sweet, tart, spicy, and funky was very well done. The body was fluffy, light, and quenching, and the 8.5% ABV was very well hidden.

There are very few non Belgian beers that approach perfection for this style, but this one certainly does. (918 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

(Served in a tulip glass) #07072 2009 batch
A- This beer has a clear apricot body with a creamy soft peak head of antique white that last for the full beer turning into cobwebs as the glass empties. There is a sea of carbonation supporting the head.
S- This has a beautiful fresh floral apricot aroma from the second the cork pops and some tulip and natural bubblegum notes for days. The aroma turns into a very pleasant Windex aroma with a soft pine finish and I would give this 5++ on the aroma. I could not stop huffing this elixir.
T- The nice grapefruit flavor has a soft earthy note and that wonderful musty brett quality with some dried apricot notes to follow. There is a soft green bite at the finish to this beer.
M- There is a medium-light mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a tight cleaning fizz under the flavor.
D- This is a beautiful beer. The full fragrant flavor has a nice complexity with some bright fruity flavors and crispness. This is a great beer now and I will have to try this aged to see how the brett flavors come out. (1,050 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

2012 bottle.

A: nice light golden color. Couple of fingers head with little retention. The amount of yeast makes up for the lack of head retention/lacing. Soooo much yeast, it is beautiful.
S: Super funky smell. Smells kind of like a dank basement in a good way.
T: taste is everthing I could hope for. Nice citusy taste with lots of musky funkiness. A bit of bitterness too.
M: nice and crisp like as a saison will be. A bit dry with some creaminess from the yeast
O: Pretty much what I was ecpecting. Just funky saison heaven. (530 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Probably the best Saison I have ever had. Funky Brett, crisp apple and dry as hell. Similar to Rayon Vert but a bit brighter in the flavor profile. Simply a beautiful beer that I need to find more of to put away for a year or two. Highly recommended. Loving Boulevard right now. (278 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a hazy orange-ish to yellow color with a big, rocky off white head. In the aroma, small tartness, white grape like and a small earthiness. In the taste, dry earthiness, small white grape tartness, and somewhat spicy, mostly a blend of cinnamon and black pepper. A spicy bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a light dry yeasty and spice aftertaste. It hides the alcohol, somewhat Fantome like, and fantastic! (415 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

I am going to start this review by saying this is easily the best saison I've ever had and one of the best beers I've ever drank.

Appearance - Pours a beautiful golden yellow with a huge fluffy white head. Beautiful lacing.

Smell - Wow, amazingly sweet, spicy, funky and lemony.

Taste - Lemon zest, black pepper, barnyard funk, sweet sweet fruits, HIGHLY complex

Mouthfeel - Perfectly crisp and carbonated.

Overall - As i said, one of the best beers I've EVER drank, period. (480 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from the gorgeous brown smokestack series bottle into a pint glass ( or 3... ). Poured a beautiful honey gold with straw tinges around the edges.

This beer had a humungous head on it that settled to 3-4 fingers thick. Gorgeous amounts of lacing all around the glass.

Smelled like straw, apples, pears, and Belgian candi sugar.

It tasted so much like a witbier mixed with apples, sugar, and lemongrass. Very thick for a belgian, and quite carbonated. Perhaps too carbonated. This beer is a year old, and could easily be aged for another year or 2 to mellow out. It packs a punch and is almost soda like in its carbonation.

Drinkability is still superb for all that carbonation - truly a testament to how amazing this brew is. (739 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

This was to be my last attempt for funk. I'm not sure where this fits on the spectrum, but if this is what brett tastes like, I'm going to have to find more funky beers.

A - My bottle had less head than some of the reviews, but still a good two fingers in my tulip glass. Typical bright saison color - cloudy.

S - Horse blanket, barn yard, hay field - all the typical adjectives apply, but it smells good!

T & M - I'm not a brett expert, but I like Belgian yeasty beers because the yeast adds an interesting dynamic. This seems similar. This is a creamy beer, but the spices and funky brett blend well.

D - I want more.. It feels like less ABV than it is - light taste and highly drinkable.

Update - as I've gotten more in to funky beers, I've really started to see that this one is world class. I've updated my ratings accordingly. (837 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Review #300. Finally! One of my most sought after beers since it eluded me the first time it came around. Here's hoping the second batch is as good as the first.

Bottle #07520 of 13400. Batch 2009-2.

Poured into my Surly tulip. This pours a hazy golden orange color. I can't see many floaties in my glass, but I can see them in the bottle. As typical with brett-brewed beers (at least my experience) the head is overwhelmingly big and hard to control. Large chunky white head produced with every pour, took me three of four pours to get a full glass, and still had a two finger head. Lively carbonation. Leaves tons of lacing.

The nose lets you know right away there is no doubt this has brett in it. Smells like a christmas potpourri mixed with brett funkyness. This is amazing, I've never smelled anything like it. So juicy and floral, so mezmorizing...this is fantastic. I wouldn't even label it as "barnyard-like," I think holiday potpourri is a better discriptive word.

As this golden nectar finally hits my lips, I understand what all the hype is about. Spices and funkyness galore, potpourri and hay, horse barn and pine wreaths. Lingonberries! Yes! Lingonberries! I'm sure they aren't in there, but I honestly feel as if my bottle tastes like they are. Earthy yet fruity, spicey yet mellow, this is incredible.

The mouthfeel is spot on. As typical with wild yeast brewed beers, the body is lighter and the carbonation, while high, is very smooth and mellow. I love the contrast between the room temperature head and the cold liquid below it.

Drinkability is amazing. If this wasn't north of 8 percent alcohol, I would drink this all night. I will definitely be opening a bottle of this for christmas dinner (or dessert).

Finally! My first white whale, so to speak. I haven't been in the beer game terribly long (long enough to review 300 beers) but this is the first beer that eluded me for over a year. As the second batch finally made it to Minnesota, I bought a couple bottles, one to drink one to cellar. I now see I'm going to need much much more. I thank Boulevard for making such a fantastic beer, and for distributing it to Minnesota. Cheers! (2,165 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +14.2%

2013 Vintage

To me this is almost as perfect as a Saison can get. It looks amazing in a tulip glass, the colour, the head. It hits you first on the nose with that beautiful sweet funky brett. Your first sip has a little bit of bite from the carbonation, almost like champagne. For me the real winning part of this beer is the taste and the mouthfeel. It has a little bit of a pepper kick which to me is my favorite part of a Saison. The mouthfeel starts off with a bit of sharp carbonation bite but then as you let the beer sit it smooths out so much. Silky, funky, and sweet. On the finish, you notice more of the hops and dryness. I love this one with about a yr on it, but it has always been amazing. Changing ownership hasn't done a thing in my opinion, aside from make it more available and maybe lower the price? Love it! (828 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14%

This is as fantastic a saison as I can imagine. The 5 is within that style. The secret here is in the carbonation - different characteristics come out depending on the level of carbonation. Swirl this as it warms. Each time a new head will form, remain for enough time for s new whiff and taste and each time it's different. This is one that can find itself suitable to most any taste. I feel like folks who gave this a lower score (as in a 3) didn't give it a fair chance. I had a taste I didn't quite care for. I swirled it again and the next was quite an improvement. Fantastic saison. Highly recommend. (615 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Batch 2009-01; Bottle 2508 of 11925...in a Smokestack Series Chalice.

Pours a cloudy golden peach color, visibly effervescent, with suspended particulate and a foamy white two finger head that resists fading, leaving sheets of Belgian lacing behind. The smell is complex and nothing short of amazing! Sweet, fruity, apple, pear, and earthy yeast. The mouth feel is equally unique and rewarding. Bright yet creamy with effervescent texture, medium bodied. Full flavored, the fruity harvest celebration mixed with a well balanced tartness kicks up "Saison" to levels only imagined by Emeril Lagasse yet the earthen fruity sweetness l"coats" and lingers really well. Seriously, 'Farmhouse Ales' haven't been my Fav...but this has to be one of the best beers that i've ever had..."period". The total package is amazing..nose. texture, flavor and drinkability. Cheers to Team Boulevard! This one is outta here...i'm talk'in WOW, different planet good. This one is beyond a doubt one of the best beers that I've ever experienced!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! (1,047 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

750 mL bottle with a batch number 2008-1, so this one has been sitting in my cellar for quite some time, maybe the brett has developed more than some of the fresher bottles I have had. Pours with a huge white head that is at least twice as tall as the amount of gold nectar collecting in the bottom portion of my glass. Retention is ridiculous, static almost and lacing is noteworthy as well.

Does not smell a whole lot different than a fresh bottle...still plenty of lemony saison yeast with a bright, floral hop presence. Honeyed, grainy malt background with all of this steeping below a nice, woody brettomyces aroma. Absolutely wonderful smelling brew.

Leathery brett is becoming more dominant as this one ages, but there is still plenty of complexity and brightness to the beer. You can tell this brew had a pretty heavy hand of bittering hops to begin with and some of the lemony fruitiness helps that linger on awhile. Dry, effervescent finish, carbonation is high and I like that in a saison. Malts are a little less neutral than some of the classic Belgian examples - still light, but contributes some sweetness and even some biscuity flavors. This beer is so easy to write about, so much going on. I think I like this beer at about the 1-1.5 year mark the best. I like a heavy brettomyces impact, but I dont want to lose all the other nuances either. Wonderful beer that I have no problem forking out the 12 buck for, one of the best beers I have ever had. (1,468 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Hazy light gold color - a little like pineapple juice - with a substantial foamy white head that lingers a ll the way down. No real lacing, just occasional clumps of foam on the glass.

The aroma is funky, floral and fruity all at the same time - hints of tropical fruit, wet blankets, crackers, hay, some vague floral notes, pine - really hard to describe and seems to change as you drink.

The taste is also complex, slightly sweet and sour at once, grapefruit, pineapple, crackers, earthy, phenolic and more but nicely blended and none overpowering. Finishes nicely dry and slightly peppery.

Very nice sipping brew, especially for warm weather. Medium bodied, highly carbonated, very drinkable.

Overall a very enjoyable brew as it is, I'd like to try it with a year or two of age. (788 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A - Absolutely beautiful golden orange with a massive 3-4 finger white head. Unbelievable retention and lacing.

S - Barnyard funk, brett, citrus notes such as lemon zest, as well as some floral notes.

T - Very similar to the nose. Brett makes a huge appearance in this beer (as the name would suggest), as well as phenomenal dry hopped citrus qualities that are to die for. A superb representation of the style.

M - Like most of the smokestack series this one has quite a lot of carbonation. Smooth and refreshing and finishes nice and dry.

O - This is the best saison I've had. Boulevard smokestack series have never done me wrong and this one is my favorite offering out of them all! I really ought to age one of these bad boys for a year or two next time I see it on the shelves. (823 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

Without a doubt, the best beer that Boulevard makes (although BBQ and Rye on Rye are close). I look forward to this release each year, and often buy a whole case. Only the original classic from Dupont would be dearer to me, as this is one of my favorite styles in the world. For those that cannot find Saison-Brett, the year-long release, Tank 7, is a good substitute. (370 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Note this is the 2013 Batch that was just released, time will change this review

A - Hazy golden with small yeast floating, Nice 2-3 finger head leaving after 2 mins, bubble lacing remaining on sides of tulip glass.

S - Much like the Tank 7 from which it is derived but has more of the earthy tones with the "Brett " yeast

T - Grassy, fruity, lemon pineapple, earthy slight bitterness that lingers with the funk that lingers on the back of the throat.

M - Nice carbonation, light and musty lingering on

O - Super beer to sip and enjoy all the flavors that come through and one of the very best of the Farmhouse styles of beer you will every taste ( at least from what I have tasted and read on the style) Highly recommended if you are a fan of this style and a benchmark of American brewed interpretation of the Belgium Farmhouse style. (842 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Wow, just wow. Traded thanks to hooliganlife

Great bottle pressure upon opening. Pours clear golden, with outstanding foamy head, varying bubble size, and unprecedented head retention. Lacing is akin to a bubbling pot of rice krispie treats.

The aroma immediately reminds me of Orval. Low and behold, so does the taste! Orval being one of my favorites ever, I may be somewhat biased. What a masterfully brewed Craft Beer. Truly artisanal. Exceptional balance between mild Saison sweetness, earthy brett and solvent alcohol. However, the 8.5% is more than hidden, it is nearly nonexistent. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, with a sharp and biting carbonation. This may just be the finest crafted American beer I have had. Hats off to Boulevard, this is a truly exceptional beer. (775 characters)

Saison-Brett from Boulevard Brewing Co.