2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Saison-Brett - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Saison-BrettSaison-Brett

Ratings: 1944

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-13-2007)
View: Beers (44) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison-Brett Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,944 | Reviews: 627 | Show All Ratings:
darthhamby

Missouri

When it first opens a rush of floral notes hits you. The eggshell white head about 2.5" thick. Lots and lots of carbonationation. It was like looking at a champagne glass. Very light straw color like SRM 1. Citrus and floral notes followed earthy notes. Stronger than the Tank 7 and can pick up on the Brett yeast. Medium body followed with light lacing. So many flavors jump out like pineapple, lemon, grass and white peach. I am so glad I waited until the release of the 2013 to drink the 2012. Boulevard really out did themselves this time, may need to get a second bottle of the 2013 to age as well.

05-30-2013 03:52:43 | More by darthhamby
Impfan

Washington

Gorgeous, slightly hazy amber/peachy color, 2- 3 fingers of frothy, lacy head. Amazing, complex aroma and flavor of pear, white grape, peach, graham cracker, pineapple, guava, horseblanket, barnyard funk, clove and coriander, earthy hops, and even a touch of banana.

Creamy body (for the style) with lots of mouth-coating goodness in the very lengthy, dry finish.

This one is about as wonderful as a saison gets.

06-10-2013 19:52:58 | More by Impfan
TBoneJones

Gargantuan white frothy head, slightly hazy golden body, ample carbonation.
Smells perfumy, barnyard funk is there, some herb/ basil, light spice. Very nice, refreshing scent and yet complex to the nose. I'm hoping this tastes as phenomenal as it now smells, as well as how I recall it tasting the first and only time I tried this a couple of years ago..
It certainly does. First sip recalls how flavorful this is, with the spice notes just right, hop very well-balanced in the mix. There's the unusual bubble-gum-like flavor (to some may be like apple) and finish that must be credited to the use of the brettanomyces. Bready malts, juicy, and then a drier end with some prickly feel upon the finish. Much going on here, and it's all right.
Creamy smooth mouth, medium carbonation, refreshing, complex. For me this is the best saison I've ever had. 5's across the board when I get this impression. Extra bottle to cellar a bit (not for much longer).

08-24-2013 03:15:40 | More by TBoneJones
vickersspitfire

Pours out a nice clear blonde with some very, very mild haziness to it an enough carbonation to lift an F-18. The head is thick, white and frothy; in fact it might be what you’d expect angels to be floating on in heaven!
Grass, apples, mild tangerine, lemon zest and other earthy aromas come through.
Sharp and bitter, the hops come out as it hits the corners of your mouth. It’s sweet overall and very carbonated. Apple and pear flavors do come through in the background.
This is medium to light bodied.
Overall, this is an excellent beer and represents the style well in my opinion. If you think otherwise, then lend me your taste buds!

01-06-2014 05:22:09 | More by vickersspitfire
Beericjb

Connecticut

4.98/5  rDev +15.5%

2012 bottle.

A: nice light golden color. Couple of fingers head with little retention. The amount of yeast makes up for the lack of head retention/lacing. Soooo much yeast, it is beautiful.
S: Super funky smell. Smells kind of like a dank basement in a good way.
T: taste is everthing I could hope for. Nice citusy taste with lots of musky funkiness. A bit of bitterness too.
M: nice and crisp like as a saison will be. A bit dry with some creaminess from the yeast
O: Pretty much what I was ecpecting. Just funky saison heaven.

08-05-2012 02:29:42 | More by Beericjb
rhoadsrage

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

(Served in a tulip glass) #07072 2009 batch
A- This beer has a clear apricot body with a creamy soft peak head of antique white that last for the full beer turning into cobwebs as the glass empties. There is a sea of carbonation supporting the head.
S- This has a beautiful fresh floral apricot aroma from the second the cork pops and some tulip and natural bubblegum notes for days. The aroma turns into a very pleasant Windex aroma with a soft pine finish and I would give this 5++ on the aroma. I could not stop huffing this elixir.
T- The nice grapefruit flavor has a soft earthy note and that wonderful musty brett quality with some dried apricot notes to follow. There is a soft green bite at the finish to this beer.
M- There is a medium-light mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a tight cleaning fizz under the flavor.
D- This is a beautiful beer. The full fragrant flavor has a nice complexity with some bright fruity flavors and crispness. This is a great beer now and I will have to try this aged to see how the brett flavors come out.

12-07-2009 22:18:05 | More by rhoadsrage
Mistofminn

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

Review #300. Finally! One of my most sought after beers since it eluded me the first time it came around. Here's hoping the second batch is as good as the first.

Bottle #07520 of 13400. Batch 2009-2.

Poured into my Surly tulip. This pours a hazy golden orange color. I can't see many floaties in my glass, but I can see them in the bottle. As typical with brett-brewed beers (at least my experience) the head is overwhelmingly big and hard to control. Large chunky white head produced with every pour, took me three of four pours to get a full glass, and still had a two finger head. Lively carbonation. Leaves tons of lacing.

The nose lets you know right away there is no doubt this has brett in it. Smells like a christmas potpourri mixed with brett funkyness. This is amazing, I've never smelled anything like it. So juicy and floral, so mezmorizing...this is fantastic. I wouldn't even label it as "barnyard-like," I think holiday potpourri is a better discriptive word.

As this golden nectar finally hits my lips, I understand what all the hype is about. Spices and funkyness galore, potpourri and hay, horse barn and pine wreaths. Lingonberries! Yes! Lingonberries! I'm sure they aren't in there, but I honestly feel as if my bottle tastes like they are. Earthy yet fruity, spicey yet mellow, this is incredible.

The mouthfeel is spot on. As typical with wild yeast brewed beers, the body is lighter and the carbonation, while high, is very smooth and mellow. I love the contrast between the room temperature head and the cold liquid below it.

Drinkability is amazing. If this wasn't north of 8 percent alcohol, I would drink this all night. I will definitely be opening a bottle of this for christmas dinner (or dessert).

Finally! My first white whale, so to speak. I haven't been in the beer game terribly long (long enough to review 300 beers) but this is the first beer that eluded me for over a year. As the second batch finally made it to Minnesota, I bought a couple bottles, one to drink one to cellar. I now see I'm going to need much much more. I thank Boulevard for making such a fantastic beer, and for distributing it to Minnesota. Cheers!

10-01-2009 23:54:29 | More by Mistofminn
dougofthefuture

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

This was to be my last attempt for funk. I'm not sure where this fits on the spectrum, but if this is what brett tastes like, I'm going to have to find more funky beers.

A - My bottle had less head than some of the reviews, but still a good two fingers in my tulip glass. Typical bright saison color - cloudy.

S - Horse blanket, barn yard, hay field - all the typical adjectives apply, but it smells good!

T & M - I'm not a brett expert, but I like Belgian yeasty beers because the yeast adds an interesting dynamic. This seems similar. This is a creamy beer, but the spices and funky brett blend well.

D - I want more.. It feels like less ABV than it is - light taste and highly drinkable.

Update - as I've gotten more in to funky beers, I've really started to see that this one is world class. I've updated my ratings accordingly.

11-28-2009 00:48:20 | More by dougofthefuture
acelin

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from the gorgeous brown smokestack series bottle into a pint glass ( or 3... ). Poured a beautiful honey gold with straw tinges around the edges.

This beer had a humungous head on it that settled to 3-4 fingers thick. Gorgeous amounts of lacing all around the glass.

Smelled like straw, apples, pears, and Belgian candi sugar.

It tasted so much like a witbier mixed with apples, sugar, and lemongrass. Very thick for a belgian, and quite carbonated. Perhaps too carbonated. This beer is a year old, and could easily be aged for another year or 2 to mellow out. It packs a punch and is almost soda like in its carbonation.

Drinkability is still superb for all that carbonation - truly a testament to how amazing this brew is.

01-30-2010 18:23:17 | More by acelin
OWSLEY069

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a hazy orange-ish to yellow color with a big, rocky off white head. In the aroma, small tartness, white grape like and a small earthiness. In the taste, dry earthiness, small white grape tartness, and somewhat spicy, mostly a blend of cinnamon and black pepper. A spicy bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a light dry yeasty and spice aftertaste. It hides the alcohol, somewhat Fantome like, and fantastic!

12-29-2010 21:21:20 | More by OWSLEY069
aorloski

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

I am going to start this review by saying this is easily the best saison I've ever had and one of the best beers I've ever drank.

Appearance - Pours a beautiful golden yellow with a huge fluffy white head. Beautiful lacing.

Smell - Wow, amazingly sweet, spicy, funky and lemony.

Taste - Lemon zest, black pepper, barnyard funk, sweet sweet fruits, HIGHLY complex

Mouthfeel - Perfectly crisp and carbonated.

Overall - As i said, one of the best beers I've EVER drank, period.

02-21-2012 22:36:32 | More by aorloski
jjayjaye

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Batch 2009-01; Bottle 2508 of 11925...in a Smokestack Series Chalice.

Pours a cloudy golden peach color, visibly effervescent, with suspended particulate and a foamy white two finger head that resists fading, leaving sheets of Belgian lacing behind. The smell is complex and nothing short of amazing! Sweet, fruity, apple, pear, and earthy yeast. The mouth feel is equally unique and rewarding. Bright yet creamy with effervescent texture, medium bodied. Full flavored, the fruity harvest celebration mixed with a well balanced tartness kicks up "Saison" to levels only imagined by Emeril Lagasse yet the earthen fruity sweetness l"coats" and lingers really well. Seriously, 'Farmhouse Ales' haven't been my Fav...but this has to be one of the best beers that i've ever had..."period". The total package is amazing..nose. texture, flavor and drinkability. Cheers to Team Boulevard! This one is outta here...i'm talk'in WOW, different planet good. This one is beyond a doubt one of the best beers that I've ever experienced!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

08-17-2009 04:03:13 | More by jjayjaye
twiggamortis420

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

750 mL bottle with a batch number 2008-1, so this one has been sitting in my cellar for quite some time, maybe the brett has developed more than some of the fresher bottles I have had. Pours with a huge white head that is at least twice as tall as the amount of gold nectar collecting in the bottom portion of my glass. Retention is ridiculous, static almost and lacing is noteworthy as well.

Does not smell a whole lot different than a fresh bottle...still plenty of lemony saison yeast with a bright, floral hop presence. Honeyed, grainy malt background with all of this steeping below a nice, woody brettomyces aroma. Absolutely wonderful smelling brew.

Leathery brett is becoming more dominant as this one ages, but there is still plenty of complexity and brightness to the beer. You can tell this brew had a pretty heavy hand of bittering hops to begin with and some of the lemony fruitiness helps that linger on awhile. Dry, effervescent finish, carbonation is high and I like that in a saison. Malts are a little less neutral than some of the classic Belgian examples - still light, but contributes some sweetness and even some biscuity flavors. This beer is so easy to write about, so much going on. I think I like this beer at about the 1-1.5 year mark the best. I like a heavy brettomyces impact, but I dont want to lose all the other nuances either. Wonderful beer that I have no problem forking out the 12 buck for, one of the best beers I have ever had.

08-08-2010 19:48:05 | More by twiggamortis420
DemoniChris

Nebraska

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A - Absolutely beautiful golden orange with a massive 3-4 finger white head. Unbelievable retention and lacing.

S - Barnyard funk, brett, citrus notes such as lemon zest, as well as some floral notes.

T - Very similar to the nose. Brett makes a huge appearance in this beer (as the name would suggest), as well as phenomenal dry hopped citrus qualities that are to die for. A superb representation of the style.

M - Like most of the smokestack series this one has quite a lot of carbonation. Smooth and refreshing and finishes nice and dry.

O - This is the best saison I've had. Boulevard smokestack series have never done me wrong and this one is my favorite offering out of them all! I really ought to age one of these bad boys for a year or two next time I see it on the shelves.

06-20-2013 21:09:09 | More by DemoniChris
nkruback

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Wow, just wow. Traded thanks to hooliganlife

Great bottle pressure upon opening. Pours clear golden, with outstanding foamy head, varying bubble size, and unprecedented head retention. Lacing is akin to a bubbling pot of rice krispie treats.

The aroma immediately reminds me of Orval. Low and behold, so does the taste! Orval being one of my favorites ever, I may be somewhat biased. What a masterfully brewed Craft Beer. Truly artisanal. Exceptional balance between mild Saison sweetness, earthy brett and solvent alcohol. However, the 8.5% is more than hidden, it is nearly nonexistent. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, with a sharp and biting carbonation. This may just be the finest crafted American beer I have had. Hats off to Boulevard, this is a truly exceptional beer.

03-05-2009 00:48:12 | More by nkruback
jnewman83

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

This, very simply is one of the best beers I've ever had. The aroma is unique, at lease compared to any beer I've had before, and reminded me of a field after a heavy rain....if that makes any sense. I'm currently cellaring a bottle that I plan on opening in celebration of graduating with my master's in December.

07-25-2011 02:51:42 | More by jnewman83
mokanmikey

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Note this is the 2013 Batch that was just released, time will change this review

A - Hazy golden with small yeast floating, Nice 2-3 finger head leaving after 2 mins, bubble lacing remaining on sides of tulip glass.

S - Much like the Tank 7 from which it is derived but has more of the earthy tones with the "Brett " yeast

T - Grassy, fruity, lemon pineapple, earthy slight bitterness that lingers with the funk that lingers on the back of the throat.

M - Nice carbonation, light and musty lingering on

O - Super beer to sip and enjoy all the flavors that come through and one of the very best of the Farmhouse styles of beer you will every taste ( at least from what I have tasted and read on the style) Highly recommended if you are a fan of this style and a benchmark of American brewed interpretation of the Belgium Farmhouse style.

05-26-2013 03:31:49 | More by mokanmikey
klewis

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Hazy golden with a big, thick, foamy head. A long sustain with at least 1/2" of foam throughout the duration of the drink. Heavy lacing.

S: A pleasantly funky brett smell with earthy hop aromas.

T: Funky with, as my wife puts it, "buttery goodness." A light sweetness on the front of the tongue followed by a moderate hop bitterness and flavors of lemon zest and citrus. Light notes of black pepper round out the taste.

M: Full-bodied with lots of carbonation. A lingering of funk and mild bitterness on the palate.

D: Truly deserving of its current title of best saison. Do whatever it takes to get some of this.

09-16-2009 02:16:38 | More by klewis
Cresant

Kentucky

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured this 750 mL brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Numbered 5965 of 13400. The body was a bright golden and clear of sediment. The head was white, large, irregular and creamy. Clumps remained throughout.

Smell was wonderfully funky, earthy, and spicy. Cloves and nutmeg? Not too spicy, just right. Powdery. Rich.

Taste was Belgian yeast. Dirt floor cellar. Apples. Black pepper. Bright fruitiness. Wet stones. There was a nice bitter linger. This is one of the best American saisons I've had.

Mouthfeel was medium in body and had moderate carbonation.

12-28-2009 18:50:50 | More by Cresant
afausser

Montana

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber wheat and peach toned straw. This one's a gusher and got everywhere, and after a brief intermission to clean the mattress it spilled all over, took an extremely slow pour to get in the glass. The head is a few inches big and is not gonna die down anytime soon. The carbonation is in swirls, streams, and clouds, and dare I say it, clouds that remind me of a smokestack, with thick plumes coming out fairly consistently. The carbonation moves so much, but the head stays extremely still and no movement is evident. This brew is absolutely amazing looking, with an entirely ridiculous head and carbonation. Webby and sticky, uneven patches of lacing.

Smell: Smells deliciously sour, and mouthwatering at that, with tones ranging from green apples to sour powder. Some grapefruit and pretty obvious brett, as well as just the slight amount of funk. Smells simple, light, and nice.

Taste: Taste is a slightly sour barnyard funk with heavy brett, and is combined rather nicely with fruit notes (particularly granny smith apples. The sourness is pleasantly present, and doesn't overwhelm, yet for someone who absolutely loves sours the way I do is amazing for being toned down a bit but managing to be full bodied. The funk isn't too overwhelming either--there are grass, hay, leather, and tobacco notes, but nothing that smells too much of horse. Increasing banana and some clove spice as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is excellent, I was almost terrified that this one would be overcarbonated, but it is very nice and well done, and easily drinkable, and actually fairly calm. It is a little on the foamy side...

Drinkability: This is an amazingly crafted and easily drinkable brew. It was an absolute pleasure to consume and as a whole, I really have few complaints. Its different elements blend together fairly amazingly. This is absolutely one of the best Boulevards that I have had to date, and is quite impressive--I would never guess the ABV.

04-20-2010 02:51:33 | More by afausser
JamnesCameron

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Gift from AleWatcher as an invitational to the Blind Beer BIF #4. Thanks Jeff for filling a want!

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Pours a hazy orangey gold, with a huge frothy offwhite head of about three fingers. Head is very slow to drop.

Aromas of spicey yeast, lemon zest, sweet malt. Some funk. Screams "belgian!"

Flavors of orange and lemon zest, background bitterness, alcohol bite, hints of sweet malt. A little pepper. Something else lingering in there. The funk is brett, a little barnyardy. Finish lingers on a citrusy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium, light mouthcoating bitterness. Not as dry as I'm used to for a saison.

Highly drinkable saison. Now one of my favorites.

03-11-2011 02:39:03 | More by JamnesCameron
sweetwillyrolbar

North Dakota

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

From my Libbey Embassy Royale Poco Grande tulip.

Appearance: Pale straw/golden in color. Expected more haziness, but the first pour has excellent clarity. Subsequent pours get progressively hazier, and the last I couldn't see my hand through the glass. Soft, pillowy white head which takes its time settling. As the beer clears its way farther down the cup, the white foam utterly clings to the cup; excellent retention.

Smell: Slight white pepper, but very apparent funk of straw/dirt. (The earthy character I expected.) If you scraped a horses hoof of dirt on the underside and then smelled it.... divided by two. Some citrus, rather musty.

Taste: WOW. What a pick for my first brett beer. This pleasant, but unmistakably sharp bite of this beer just kicks you in the mouth. The phrase I've heard, "barnyard funk", is extremely appropriate. This flavor is, however, difficult to understand until you experience it. Wonderfully complex, with an array of flavors beginning to end. As for ABV... what ABV? Highly drinkable. Bit yeasty, and slight apple tartness. The funk dominates waaay more than the faint tart qualities.

Mouthfeel: Fuller than I had expected, but still light and appropriate for the style. Very appropriate carbonation, so refreshing yet flavorful.

Overall: I expected a lot from this beer and it lived up to expectation 100%. Simply one of the best examples for the style, in my experience. Elegantly & unapologetically funky.

08-01-2011 17:13:05 | More by sweetwillyrolbar
Mississipping

Mississippi

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

2011 vintage poured into a fantome tulip and paired with locally made Mississippi herb goat cheese ... absolutely perfect!

A: pours a completely clear golden color with a massive foamy, off-white head that fills 2/3 of the glass.  It takes forever for the head to subside so I can get a little more liquid in the glass.  Extremely impressive sea foam lacing left behind on the glass.  The head never settles completely, leaving a moderate film covering the surface.

S: Holy funk, Boulevard!  Really nice Bretty barnyard qualities are dominant.  Musty hay, horse blanket, and grass, accompanied by lemon zest and cracked pepper and a slightly spicy hoppiness.  There is also a touch of damp wood, gym socks, and mushrooms that really adds some complexity to the aroma.  Really an exceptional smelling farmhouse ale.

T: The taste is funky as hell, too, but there is a significant amount of lemon zest that balances things out.  It starts out with a wonderful earthy taste, comprised of damp hay, grass, and something resembling celery and mushrooms, along with a nice, but subtle, hop profile.  Transitions slowly to a fresh lemon zestiness with some cracked pepper, both of which linger long after you swallow.  The Brett funkiness lingers as well, mainly in the sinuses, as if you were truly in a barn.

M: Medium-bodied with an excellent level of carbonation, that is slightly high, but very, very pleasant.  The higher carbonation makes it spritzy and accentuates the flavors.  As you roll it around in your mouth, foam forms just like when it was originally poured into the glass.  Slightly drying at the finish, but only on the back of the tongue.  The lingering flavors keep the mouth slightly wet between sips as it waters in anticipation.

D: Absolutely exceptional example of the style.  This is hands down the best American made farmhouse ale, if not the best of its kind.  Wildly funky, yet not over the top.  Earthy, citrusy, herbal, and slightly vegetal.  Amazing complex yet perfectly balanced.  Try it if you can!

10-02-2011 03:19:51 | More by Mississipping
kbnooshay

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I've been wanting to get ahold of this one for awhile. Now i gotta get some Boulevard BBQ!!!

A - Poured a golden straw colored with lots haze. The white frothy-foamy shapeshifting head was pretty big resulting in a nice glass coating lace.

S - Smells sour and i detect hints of apple, orange of lemon.

T - Tastes just like it did at the Belgian Beer fest in september with the slightest but pleasant funky band-aid flavor. This is less sour than i expected though but its very tasty. Has a great earthy taste to it but at the same time its very fresh due to the hops! PERFECT contrast! Later on i sniffed it again and inhaled some of the beer up my nose and after that the beer tasted like brown sugar. WEIRD. Yeasty-tasty.

M - medium(almost milky mixed with soda)body. Slick with an attack of the tingles. Ever so slightly dry. I will try to buy a few bottles of this every year or so. SO GOOD.

2 more in the basement)WOO-HOO!!!

I'm drunk. I had other beers earlier. good night...beer.

12-09-2011 04:54:27 | More by kbnooshay
alex_hart

Oklahoma

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

bomber served in the smokestack series glass

this beer is incredible..from the impressive head retention, to the smooth carbonation, to the light effervesent feel of it, it is top notch 100%...it starts delicious and keeps on getting better and better..even the left over "floaters" in the brew give it an extra boost of flavor...great find

03-02-2013 04:05:22 | More by alex_hart
Saison-Brett from Boulevard Brewing Co.