Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Saison-Brett - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-13-2007

Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison-Brett Alström Bros
Reviews: 728 | Hads: 3,037
1.68/5  rDev -60.8%

20012 vintage sampled January 2014

Aroma- lemon, apricot, melon, hey, lightly phenolic, - all very pleasant and mild

Appearance- very pretty crystal clear deep gold with thick cap of rocky merangue head and sheets of lace. Would look awesome if not for the tons of floaters. Its like drinking a snow globe.

Taste- Frankly rather unpleasant. Dry and grainy phantom of what was once pils malt I'm sure. light notes of hey,citrus, and vanilla but man you really gotta get past the mouthfeel problems to notice. Not very bitter. Bone dry.

Mouthfeel- Hugely problematic. Medium-light bodied with palate-ripping astringency followed by searing alcohol heat. Effervescence not helping. When I try to hold this beer in my mouth to evaluate it, I feel like I am taking the Listorene challenge.

Overall- had big expectations of this beer but this is some angry angry brett. I have no idea why this needed to be an 8.5 percent beer but the alcohol is way over the top, solvent, and ruinous. Wouldn't even say it is sharp or acidic or really even very sour. It has none of the classic brett characters except a few notes I picked up in aroma. Undrinkable. I love Bouevard, Tank 7, and sour saisons but this is not good. Maybe I kept it too long, but it is vintage-dated and says "best by 2-2014". If others are having positive experiences with this beer than I suppose it is intended to be enjoyed fresh.

2.5/5  rDev -41.7%

The other reviews had me optimistic about this... maybe it's a one-off, but to be honest - this beer was horrible. Something like transmission fluid with smelly socks kind of describes it. Purchased at Bev-Mo in champagne style bottle. Very expensive, very poor. Bummed. I have always enjoyed Boulevard's brews... until now.

2.71/5  rDev -36.8%

Bottle shared by khiasmus at a recent tasting. Poured into a tulip

Hazy orange-yellow color with a formidable white head, smells like belgian yeast mingling with some lemony notes and a bit of funk. Definitely has more belgian yeast qualities in the flavor, some banana, lemony notes and a bit more funk. Medium body with a good bit of carbonation. Not too drinkable to me personally. I was expecting it to be a bit more sour and the brett to be more pronounced. Anyhow I could see why some would love this but it isn't my cup of tea.

2.96/5  rDev -31%

This is supposed to be a saison? Not quite.

Pours orange with a massive white head that thins to a white cap, lots of lacing. The smell is cruddy brett, apricot, wet sand. The taste is lots of brett and not much more: ripe horse meat, old peaches, some dirt. It's thick and then it's chewy and then it's pasty. It's the last thing I'd want to drink after a hard day in the fields.

This is just another American brett beer. As such, it's fine. As a saison, it's lousy. Boulevard's Tank 7 is a much better example.

Not gonna reiterate what everyone else has said about this beer. My first taste reminded me of the smell of my laundry detergent. I'm a fan of Boulevard, but not this beer.

3.13/5  rDev -27%

I was totally stoked to get my hands on this one. I'm beginning to truly appreciate the Saison style and I love Brett so this has to be a winner! Right? Wrong.

The aroma is all belgian yeast. Standard Saison with a steady dose of clove, an almost Hefe like aroma. No Brett to be found. Ths flavor was more of the same. It tasted like any other Saison on the market. Very little Brett charcter, no mustiness, no funk, no tartness. Good mouthfeel. Fairly hoppy for a Saison also.

It's a Saison and it's really very average. I'd happily drink it as long as someone else is paying for it. I'd have never known there was Brett in this beer if you didn't tell me. Boring in the grand scheme of things. If you like Saisons I guess it's worth a try but at the price, I can find much better examples of the style.

3.13/5  rDev -27%

Had this beer poured generously by a freezing cold soul outside in March at the Rosso e Marrone release at Captain Lawrence. First time trying this beer, thus I was rather excited.

A: The cork pops off (no - flies off) with force with some minor creepage out the neck. The beer was cold, probably 35F, otherwise I suspect more would have gushed out. Pours a hazy marigold yellow with a HUGE white head.

S: Smell is plain, mainly with soft Brett and pepper. Not very complex. Some wet hay, grass, pepper, and Brett.

T: Nothing too sexy here. Dry as hell with the Brett, pepper, and grass.

M: Overcarbonation would be an understatement. Way too much carbonation - almost champagne-like. The kind of carbonation that gets stuck in your throat when you try to chug a cold can of soda too fast.

Overall, a decent beer. I wouldn't seek it out again as I have had many better Brett infused Saisons/Belgians.

3.17/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I didn't like the taste of this one one bit. Just something about it soured the wrong way. Though if your very into sours, you will probably like this one. Someone who tried it with me mentioned a hint of jock strap and while it was just for humor, it did make me think twice.

3.2/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Apricot yellow body with a volcanic rush of carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass; thick, chunky head. Very spicy, peppery aroma; funky citrus; vinyl. Taste closely mirrors the aroma; some yeast-like tones; heavy phenolic presence. Medium body; coarse on the palate; mostly dry finish.

I've had this beer several times before, especially four-five years ago. It wasn't within my usual sphere of beer preferences but I recall it being intense and interesting. I honestly can't say how this current version compares to some of the earlier versions, yet it seems rather rough and overly intense. There's a strong phenolic element that isn't balanced out by any other desirable flavors. This sample leaves me with feelings of vinyl and burnt rubber more than anything else. It has some redeemable qualities, yet the harsh phenols leave little room for appreciation for anything else this beer offers. Harsh and bruising.

3.26/5  rDev -24%

A- Hazy yellow straw color with a white head that dissipates to a foamy covering.

A- Smelled very similar to the Saison, belgian yeast aromas. Light floral citrus hop aroma. The brett character in the aroma is incredibly light, not much of a funk.

T- The taste was very similar to the saison as well. Coriander, belgian yeastiness. Light hints of lemon. Nice spiciness from the hops, but I taste very little of the brett. There is an incredibly small sourness that you really have to look for.

M- Medium bodied, moderately high carbonation.

D- A very drinkable brett beer. If you are looking to get into sour beers, then this one wouldn't be too offensive. I was really hoping for a mouth of funk, but I found it to be a bit too subdued.

3.28/5  rDev -23.5%

750 ml bottle in a CCB tulip. 2011 vintage.

Big thanks to match1112 for sharing!

A : Color is very light yellowish orange. Big frothy 3 finger head.

S : Smells of lemongrass, barnyard funk, apple juice, orange peel

T : Taste of lemon/orange zest, funk, wet blanket, green apple, some clove spiciness on the back.

M : High carbonation, dry and prickly on tongue.

O : I'm sure its a great beer for the style just not my thing. Have tried some other funky beers and dont get it. Wish I had a funk loving friend here to share this bottle with! Hard to give it a rating when its not a style i am that familiar with, probably deserves better.

Cheers ~

3.29/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Got a ton of unpleasant brett and band-aid qualities even from an '14 Saison-Brett. Might have just been at a bad spot at the time. But I love brett beers and this was very...underwhelming.

3.32/5  rDev -22.6%

Mobile review of a 750 mL.

A - hazy yellow with a monster white head that just filled the glass and took forever to disappear. Tons of lace

S - little funk, lots of earth and bread notes

T - pretty mild vanilla and funk and then some strong alcohols. This was not enjoyable after a few sips.

M - medium bodied with heavy carbonation. The booze just destroyed the back of my throat and made my cheeks quiver. I don't know what happened, but this is not what I want in a

O - solid beer, but too strong and not dry enough for me. I want a clean crisp saison and some more funk and this didn't deliver. I'd give it another shot to make sure it wasn't a single bottle issue, though.

3.33/5  rDev -22.4%

Many thanks go out to RoyMunson for sharing!

Pours a hazy, dark brass with a small, white cap of a head.

Interesting, almost floral nose and light ginger sweetness. I don't get brett on the nose.

A traditional saison base followed by light brett funk.

3.34/5  rDev -22.1%

Beer pours an nice yellow straw color with quite a bit of haze and a white head.

The aroma is of lemon grass and barnyard. Not a bad balance.

The beer tastes very earthy and goat is ever present.

Medium mouthfeel.

The brett in this beer is very forward. I have never licked a goat but if I did this is how I imagine it would taste. It is just too overwhelming in this beer.

3.36/5  rDev -21.7%

Not really sure if some age would help this, but it wasn't at all funky. I was expecting some real funk out of this bottle. Poured into my glass, it had some sediment floating, which I liked and that gave it some haziness to it. Had a strange bubblegum flavor that lead into a spice flavor and finished pretty clean. Carbonation was right on, but I wasn't impressed with this Saison.

3.4/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 2012 bottle (aged approx 1 year) into a tulip.

A - Pours a very golden yellow with a lot of head that sticks around for awhile until you take your first sip. Then, it dissipates quickly.

S - Sadly, I'm not getting as much of the funkiness as I expected with a year on it, but it still smells quite earthy and zesty.

T - The initial taste is dry followed by a hint of sweetness. The farmhouse feel is still very present, but I wish I had aged this even longer.

M - This leaves a very dry feel in the mouth. Almost like a dry wine, but it makes the drink very clean with little residual feeling.

I really want to like this since my craft beer taste was developed through years of Boulevard, but it still doesn't hit home. I keep thinking that more aging will make it better, but I'm not so sure anymore. I've still got two bottles of this, so I'll see how it fares in the next 2 years.

3.41/5  rDev -20.5%

A: absolutely beautiful beer with intense carbonation and a large foamy Whitehead, clear golden body.

S: saison on yeast, a slight hint of acidity, a touch of alcohol.

T: not really doing it for me, perhaps this one would be better after some time. I am getting a fairly strong alcohol flavor despite relatively low ABV, sharper bitterness than I expected and just a tiny hint of bret funk.

M: silky with tons of carbonation, really great.

O: judging by my look and mouth feel ratings, this beer was obviously made well, the flavors just didn't quite work for me and perhaps it needs some time to mature.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle - best by 3/2013
2011 Vintage

A: Cloudy unfiltered beer that is light golden in color. Tall creamy white head that lasts a while.

S: Funky and earthy smelling. I cannot say that I detect any of the brettanomyces that the label promised. Though, it did say something along the lines that the brett fans may have to wait for the sourness to develop.

T: Tart, funky, and peppery taste on the palate. Based on the smell, I wasn't expecting much in the sour department and I was right.

M: Carbonated well. Smooth to drink, but leaves the mouth dry and the peppery spices give leave behind a little kick.

O: My first offering from Boulevard Brewing Company. Based on the very high ratings, detailed positive reviews, and promise of brett by the brewery, I was looking forward to this. This was a good beer, but not really what I was expecting. I have several bottles remaining that I plan to age and see if I just drank this one too early.

3.53/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy orangish golden color with over two fingers of white head that dissipates leaving a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Quite herbal and a bit like hay. Some hints of lemon in there too.

Taste: A bit acidic, but the dominant flavor is herbal, hay, and has a slight musty quality to it. There are some citrus notes with a very acidic finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, champaign like carbonation, dry finish.

Overall: I wasn't impressed given the high expectations I had. I just assumed I would love this beer. The mix of flavors threw me off. I guess this goes to show why there is more than one beer, different strokes for different folks.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Large corked and caged bottle, thanks to stoutsnipas. I had multiple pouring of this one, as the disappointment grew and I wanted to make sure.

Nice looking, slightly hazy golden, nice looking foamy white head that is quite large and holds well.
Aroma is sweetish, yeasty notes, some hoppiness, but no funkiness or acid/sour notes to be noticed.
Medium bodied, well balanced but overall uninteresting combination of sweetish malts, minimal tartness, grainy. I kept looking for signs of Brett, and had to use my imagination more than my palate.

3.54/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not my style and really don't understand the appeal, but I guess Saisons have to grow on you. Kind of sweet, spicy, very funky. High carbonation, huge out of control head. Barnyard? Don't really detect that, but I guess I'm not familiar with wet horse blanket.

3.61/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Started at 56 degrees. Never had a Saison before and I did not care for it much. But I can see why people who like this style say it's world class. Gotboff to a bang as the cork rocketed off. It poured a murky gold. The head was ridiculously tall and had the texture of honeycomb merengue that clung to the sides of the glass for dear life. Smell and taste featured citrus and some earthiness. There's also a bit of sourness. I get the "funky" comments. Mouthfeel was medium and the texture was the best feature for me. Overall I do not like IPAs and this reminded me too much of that. Still, an interesting beer that I wanted to like. I have another bottle I will revisit in about a year.

3.61/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy yellow-ish orange color with a large white head that left some sheets of lacing on the glass. Aroma is dry, grassy, some notes of lemon and only a very light brett funk. Taste is pretty much the same, brett notes are very subtle, lightly tart, a touch of lemon and leather, but man this thing is dry and really crisp and refreshing. A bit of fruit and citrusy hops in the background. Nothing really stands out in the flavor, everything is just very light and mellow. I suppose I was expecting more brett/lemon character, but it's bone dry and not overly complex. Crisp, dry mouthfeel, carbonation is also lower than expected. Maybe I was expecting way more brett character,maybe this just needs more time in the bottle, but I'm not overly impressed. It tastes good, but just not much flavor overall. I say hang on to these bottles for a year and see what happens.

3.62/5  rDev -15.6%

Thanks to BA NCTRNL for hand delivering these all the way to Chicago!

Bottle 03266 of 11950.

Being a native Kansan I could not wait to get my hands on the new Smokestack. Been drinking Boulevard Pale and Wheat since before I was legal, so I know what to expect from them. Saison with Brett is no different. Extremely balanced but still with defined flavors. Great presentation from label art to pour.

Poured gently into a tulip and let the frothy head settle. The funk is not in the aroma, even as it warms, not inviting but not bad either. Spicy hop flavor washed away by a sweet/tart wave. I don't really get any leather/horse blanket funk until the aftertaste, which stays around for awhile. It is still very minor even as it warms. Real sticky mouth feel, keeps you licking your lips and roof of your mouth. More aggressively hopped than the original Saison with more body. Brett is extremely well balanced and according to the label with become more pronounced with age. I with I had a case cause I want to follow this up with my second bottle which is going away until August. I will update this review at that time.

Saison-Brett from Boulevard Brewing Co.