1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Saison-Brett - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Saison-BrettSaison-Brett

Ratings: 1932

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-13-2007)
View: Beers (44) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison-Brett Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,932 | Reviews: 627 | Show All Ratings:
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

1.56/5  rDev -63.8%

20012 vintage sampled January 2014

Aroma- lemon, apricot, melon, hey, lightly phenolic, - all very pleasant and mild

Appearance- very pretty crystal clear deep gold with thick cap of rocky merangue head and sheets of lace. Would look awesome if not for the tons of floaters. Its like drinking a snow globe.

Taste- Frankly rather unpleasant. Dry and grainy phantom of what was once pils malt I'm sure. light notes of hey,citrus, and vanilla but man you really gotta get past the mouthfeel problems to notice. Not very bitter. Bone dry.

Mouthfeel- Hugely problematic. Medium-light bodied with palate-ripping astringency followed by searing alcohol heat. Effervescence not helping. When I try to hold this beer in my mouth to evaluate it, I feel like I am taking the Listorene challenge.

Overall- had big expectations of this beer but this is some angry angry brett. I have no idea why this needed to be an 8.5 percent beer but the alcohol is way over the top, solvent, and ruinous. Wouldn't even say it is sharp or acidic or really even very sour. It has none of the classic brett characters except a few notes I picked up in aroma. Undrinkable. I love Bouevard, Tank 7, and sour saisons but this is not good. Maybe I kept it too long, but it is vintage-dated and says "best by 2-2014". If others are having positive experiences with this beer than I suppose it is intended to be enjoyed fresh.

01-27-2014 05:48:33 | More by JudgeRoughneck
jpmclaug

South Carolina

2.63/5  rDev -39%

Bottle shared by khiasmus at a recent tasting. Poured into a tulip

Hazy orange-yellow color with a formidable white head, smells like belgian yeast mingling with some lemony notes and a bit of funk. Definitely has more belgian yeast qualities in the flavor, some banana, lemony notes and a bit more funk. Medium body with a good bit of carbonation. Not too drinkable to me personally. I was expecting it to be a bit more sour and the brett to be more pronounced. Anyhow I could see why some would love this but it isn't my cup of tea.

03-15-2011 22:34:28 | More by jpmclaug
gory4d

2.95/5  rDev -31.6%

This is supposed to be a saison? Not quite.

Pours orange with a massive white head that thins to a white cap, lots of lacing. The smell is cruddy brett, apricot, wet sand. The taste is lots of brett and not much more: ripe horse meat, old peaches, some dirt. It's thick and then it's chewy and then it's pasty. It's the last thing I'd want to drink after a hard day in the fields.

This is just another American brett beer. As such, it's fine. As a saison, it's lousy. Boulevard's Tank 7 is a much better example.

07-10-2010 04:05:37 | More by gory4d
claytong

Vermont

3.08/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I didn't like the taste of this one one bit. Just something about it soured the wrong way. Though if your very into sours, you will probably like this one. Someone who tried it with me mentioned a hint of jock strap and while it was just for humor, it did make me think twice.

04-20-2011 00:03:58 | More by claytong
treyrab

3.1/5  rDev -28.1%

Had this beer poured generously by a freezing cold soul outside in March at the Rosso e Marrone release at Captain Lawrence. First time trying this beer, thus I was rather excited.

A: The cork pops off (no - flies off) with force with some minor creepage out the neck. The beer was cold, probably 35F, otherwise I suspect more would have gushed out. Pours a hazy marigold yellow with a HUGE white head.

S: Smell is plain, mainly with soft Brett and pepper. Not very complex. Some wet hay, grass, pepper, and Brett.

T: Nothing too sexy here. Dry as hell with the Brett, pepper, and grass.

M: Overcarbonation would be an understatement. Way too much carbonation - almost champagne-like. The kind of carbonation that gets stuck in your throat when you try to chug a cold can of soda too fast.

Overall, a decent beer. I wouldn't seek it out again as I have had many better Brett infused Saisons/Belgians.

12-10-2010 13:06:07 | More by treyrab
Brew33

3.13/5  rDev -27.4%

I was totally stoked to get my hands on this one. I'm beginning to truly appreciate the Saison style and I love Brett so this has to be a winner! Right? Wrong.

The aroma is all belgian yeast. Standard Saison with a steady dose of clove, an almost Hefe like aroma. No Brett to be found. Ths flavor was more of the same. It tasted like any other Saison on the market. Very little Brett charcter, no mustiness, no funk, no tartness. Good mouthfeel. Fairly hoppy for a Saison also.

It's a Saison and it's really very average. I'd happily drink it as long as someone else is paying for it. I'd have never known there was Brett in this beer if you didn't tell me. Boring in the grand scheme of things. If you like Saisons I guess it's worth a try but at the price, I can find much better examples of the style.

06-13-2010 23:36:43 | More by Brew33
gpogo

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

A- Hazy yellow straw color with a white head that dissipates to a foamy covering.

A- Smelled very similar to the Saison, belgian yeast aromas. Light floral citrus hop aroma. The brett character in the aroma is incredibly light, not much of a funk.

T- The taste was very similar to the saison as well. Coriander, belgian yeastiness. Light hints of lemon. Nice spiciness from the hops, but I taste very little of the brett. There is an incredibly small sourness that you really have to look for.

M- Medium bodied, moderately high carbonation.

D- A very drinkable brett beer. If you are looking to get into sour beers, then this one wouldn't be too offensive. I was really hoping for a mouth of funk, but I found it to be a bit too subdued.

02-19-2009 22:20:13 | More by gpogo
Pelican5

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

750 ml bottle in a CCB tulip. 2011 vintage.

Big thanks to match1112 for sharing!

A : Color is very light yellowish orange. Big frothy 3 finger head.

S : Smells of lemongrass, barnyard funk, apple juice, orange peel

T : Taste of lemon/orange zest, funk, wet blanket, green apple, some clove spiciness on the back.

M : High carbonation, dry and prickly on tongue.

O : I'm sure its a great beer for the style just not my thing. Have tried some other funky beers and dont get it. Wish I had a funk loving friend here to share this bottle with! Hard to give it a rating when its not a style i am that familiar with, probably deserves better.

Cheers ~

10-26-2012 03:45:40 | More by Pelican5
ChrisPro

3.28/5  rDev -23.9%

Mobile review of a 750 mL.

A - hazy yellow with a monster white head that just filled the glass and took forever to disappear. Tons of lace

S - little funk, lots of earth and bread notes

T - pretty mild vanilla and funk and then some strong alcohols. This was not enjoyable after a few sips.

M - medium bodied with heavy carbonation. The booze just destroyed the back of my throat and made my cheeks quiver. I don't know what happened, but this is not what I want in a

O - solid beer, but too strong and not dry enough for me. I want a clean crisp saison and some more funk and this didn't deliver. I'd give it another shot to make sure it wasn't a single bottle issue, though.

09-03-2011 13:51:28 | More by ChrisPro
beachbum1975

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

Many thanks go out to RoyMunson for sharing!

Pours a hazy, dark brass with a small, white cap of a head.

Interesting, almost floral nose and light ginger sweetness. I don't get brett on the nose.

A traditional saison base followed by light brett funk.

10-11-2009 21:51:58 | More by beachbum1975
LeeryLeprechaun

Colorado

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

Beer pours an nice yellow straw color with quite a bit of haze and a white head.

The aroma is of lemon grass and barnyard. Not a bad balance.

The beer tastes very earthy and goat is ever present.

Medium mouthfeel.

The brett in this beer is very forward. I have never licked a goat but if I did this is how I imagine it would taste. It is just too overwhelming in this beer.

08-30-2012 00:42:48 | More by LeeryLeprechaun
jbone78

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

Not really sure if some age would help this, but it wasn't at all funky. I was expecting some real funk out of this bottle. Poured into my glass, it had some sediment floating, which I liked and that gave it some haziness to it. Had a strange bubblegum flavor that lead into a spice flavor and finished pretty clean. Carbonation was right on, but I wasn't impressed with this Saison.

-Bye

03-12-2010 17:33:52 | More by jbone78
nawpnawp

3.36/5  rDev -22%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 2012 bottle (aged approx 1 year) into a tulip.

A - Pours a very golden yellow with a lot of head that sticks around for awhile until you take your first sip. Then, it dissipates quickly.

S - Sadly, I'm not getting as much of the funkiness as I expected with a year on it, but it still smells quite earthy and zesty.

T - The initial taste is dry followed by a hint of sweetness. The farmhouse feel is still very present, but I wish I had aged this even longer.

M - This leaves a very dry feel in the mouth. Almost like a dry wine, but it makes the drink very clean with little residual feeling.

I really want to like this since my craft beer taste was developed through years of Boulevard, but it still doesn't hit home. I keep thinking that more aging will make it better, but I'm not so sure anymore. I've still got two bottles of this, so I'll see how it fares in the next 2 years.

06-07-2013 19:05:44 | More by nawpnawp
brdc

Wisconsin

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Large corked and caged bottle, thanks to stoutsnipas. I had multiple pouring of this one, as the disappointment grew and I wanted to make sure.

Nice looking, slightly hazy golden, nice looking foamy white head that is quite large and holds well.
Aroma is sweetish, yeasty notes, some hoppiness, but no funkiness or acid/sour notes to be noticed.
Medium bodied, well balanced but overall uninteresting combination of sweetish malts, minimal tartness, grainy. I kept looking for signs of Brett, and had to use my imagination more than my palate.

05-05-2009 01:28:48 | More by brdc
oline73

Maryland

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy orangish golden color with over two fingers of white head that dissipates leaving a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Quite herbal and a bit like hay. Some hints of lemon in there too.

Taste: A bit acidic, but the dominant flavor is herbal, hay, and has a slight musty quality to it. There are some citrus notes with a very acidic finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, champaign like carbonation, dry finish.

Overall: I wasn't impressed given the high expectations I had. I just assumed I would love this beer. The mix of flavors threw me off. I guess this goes to show why there is more than one beer, different strokes for different folks.

08-07-2011 22:38:31 | More by oline73
beerfan99

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle - best by 3/2013
2011 Vintage

A: Cloudy unfiltered beer that is light golden in color. Tall creamy white head that lasts a while.

S: Funky and earthy smelling. I cannot say that I detect any of the brettanomyces that the label promised. Though, it did say something along the lines that the brett fans may have to wait for the sourness to develop.

T: Tart, funky, and peppery taste on the palate. Based on the smell, I wasn't expecting much in the sour department and I was right.

M: Carbonated well. Smooth to drink, but leaves the mouth dry and the peppery spices give leave behind a little kick.

O: My first offering from Boulevard Brewing Company. Based on the very high ratings, detailed positive reviews, and promise of brett by the brewery, I was looking forward to this. This was a good beer, but not really what I was expecting. I have several bottles remaining that I plan to age and see if I just drank this one too early.

09-05-2011 06:04:08 | More by beerfan99
KeefD

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy yellow-ish orange color with a large white head that left some sheets of lacing on the glass. Aroma is dry, grassy, some notes of lemon and only a very light brett funk. Taste is pretty much the same, brett notes are very subtle, lightly tart, a touch of lemon and leather, but man this thing is dry and really crisp and refreshing. A bit of fruit and citrusy hops in the background. Nothing really stands out in the flavor, everything is just very light and mellow. I suppose I was expecting more brett/lemon character, but it's bone dry and not overly complex. Crisp, dry mouthfeel, carbonation is also lower than expected. Maybe I was expecting way more brett character,maybe this just needs more time in the bottle, but I'm not overly impressed. It tastes good, but just not much flavor overall. I say hang on to these bottles for a year and see what happens.

07-15-2011 16:14:30 | More by KeefD
tewaris

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

Not sure who brought it to the table but thanks nonetheless.

Golden, clear and very very bubbly. Good looks certainly. More lemony than funky aroma but very appetizing. Aroma exceeds taste by far... taste is rather run of the mill. Slightly bitter, spicy, and fruity. Great prickly mouthfeel with a dry finish. Worth seeking out.

5, 4.5, 3, 4, 3.5

05-22-2012 05:25:05 | More by tewaris
Kidfrogger

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

My bottle was batched 2009-2

A friend pointed out to me this week that I had left this bottle in the cellar too long and I needed to drink it now. This was the 1st purchase I made when starting a cellar and I guess I forgot about it. Before continuing my review, I also want to acknowledge that after purchasing this bottle I had since learned that I am not a fan of this style of beer. Though I am not a fan, I tried to be open to what my palate was sensing.

appearance: golden yellow. Nice thick white head w/ some lacing on the sides of glass.

smell: I could smell a lot of apple notes and other crisp fruits.The smell was rather acidic...vinegary. From the smell I could tell I wasn't going to enjoy the flavor.

Taste: I was surprised that I liked the taste better than I thought i was going to. I could taste the Brett characteristic and it was alright. Also taste some hoppy notes. From the flavor I could tell I was drinking a pretty good version of this style of beer but as I mentioned above it is a style I don't necessaily care for.

Mouthfeel: Just fine. wasn't thick nor thin. The carbonation was perfect.

Overall: I would recommend this beer to anyone who knows they like this style of beer. If you enjoy farmhouse ales then I think you will appreciate this one. I personally finished 3/4 of my glass before deciding to move on to something i enjoy better.

01-28-2012 21:40:59 | More by Kidfrogger
OlieIPA

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Mauerhan! Poured into a Bruery tulip glass and shared among friends.

A: Extremely bubbly...the cork just about exploded off the bottle. Settled nicely into the glass and possessed a hazy gold body with ample amounts of lacing and head.

S: Earthy/musky upfront with slight hints of citrus and biscuit malt backbone.

T: Sweet and sugary flavors upfront that remind of some sort of candied banana. This initial sweetness soon fades and develops into a vegetative/earthy flavor that's nice at first, but then turns into a harsh bitter finish.

M: Medium body, slightly chewy, and mild carbonation.

D: Not too bad, but the finish on the beer makes it hard to drink at times.

Overall: This is what I would call "A Nice Beer", but nothing spectacular. Cheers!

09-26-2009 17:19:39 | More by OlieIPA
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

2012 Bottle
Solid two fingers of foamy head. Light to medium straw colored but cloudy.
Smells of lemon and spice.
Lemon flavor, but with a mild bitterness. There's a general dryness to it, which is nice.
Crisp texture with a lightness to the body.
Pretty good, though a 2010 bottle I had a year ago was better.

12-01-2012 02:33:55 | More by Fatehunter
Bierguy5

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

750 ml bottle. 8.5% ABV. Batch 2008-1, part of the Smokestack Series. Pours a hazy gold color, with a thick fluffy white head. Lots of active carbonation. Great retention and lace.

Starts oddly enough with a whiff of American hops. Hints of tartness and a bit of funk. An afterthought of white pepper with a yeasty component as well.

A bit tart up front. Some residual sweetness, and a bit earthy. Some peppery flavor. Good amount of bitterness. Doesn't seem to be a great deal of brett character.

Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. If this were attenuated more, could really be nice. still, pretty good in my book.

11-28-2008 21:14:12 | More by Bierguy5
Floydster

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

750 ml bottle purchased online for around twelve dollars, forgot where I got this, drank on Sunday, reviewed from notes, served in my Duvel tulip glass, color is a bright golden orange, 1 1/2 inch fizzy white head that does not last long, not much lacing either, aroma consists of tartiness, sweet malts, funk, lemons, sour apples, grains, brettanomyces, oranges, grass, and mustiness, flavor starts off with citrusy fruits and a little bit of the wild yeast feel, pale malts in the middle, finish is dry with funky orange and chewier malts, pretty rustic overall, crisp even once it warms, sharp, citrusy, and dry mouthfeel, medium bodied, lots and lots of carbonation, taste lingered pretty well, pretty easy to get down, alcohol is only noticed when it warms, it is not hot or anything but shines through a little along with some sweetness, not my favorite saison but the brettanomyces helps things out in a number of ways, will probably cellar my other bottle for at least a year and see what happens, worth trying

08-05-2009 04:10:40 | More by Floydster
KickInTheChalice

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass. 2009 bottle, from notes.

Appearance: This pours a golden yellow, mostly clean with a bit of haze in the middle. Lots of carbonation evident from the ever-present champagne carbonation rising up to support a generous fizzy head.

Smell: A lot of barnyard funk and light grain, then some tart green apples, white grapes, and lemon zest. Lightly spicy and a burst of grassy aromas toward the end.

Taste: Pale malt helps the flavor start sweet, then turn sour with some green apple and white grape notes. It turns funky with a good dose of barnyard and wet dog. Finally the grassy flavors come out to smooth out the finish.

Mouthfeel: This has a medium body with tons of crisp carbonation. Fairly dry, but not over the top.

Drinkability: This was well-made, but I did not completely connect with it. This is one worth coming back to revisit as I venture deeper into Saisons and sours.

02-14-2011 22:05:38 | More by KickInTheChalice
kawilliams81

Yukon (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Served in a La Chouffe tulip.

A- Light golden, almost all head when poured. Lots of lacing left on the glass.

S- Citrus and spices primarily. Brett comes through as it warms and gives it a barnyard/funk aroma.

T- Tastes like a typical saison with a little Belgium pale ale mixed in, but then the Brett comes through and gives it a little sour, funky flavor at the finish.

M- Thin with a lot of carbonation. Bitter and funk leaves you with a dry mouth feel.

O- Kind of torn with this one. The funky aroma at first smell got my hopes up, but the sour didn't really come through in the taste.

08-06-2011 02:47:32 | More by kawilliams81
Saison-Brett from Boulevard Brewing Co.