Saison-Brett - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Saison-BrettSaison-Brett

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-13-2007

Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,754 | Reviews: 688

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sent from my brother in KC (my Boulevard connect)
Poured from bomber into chalice
BBD 02/15

A - cloudy, golden yellowish with massive, foamy white head. Lots of "goods" floating around.

S - really nice nose here. A bit bready yeast going on with some hints of grapefruit and a nice mellow citrusy hop aroma. Definitely a little funk smell goin on.

T - excellent balance goin here. Follows nose as far as citrus and hops go. Was expecting a little more from the Brett but was satisfied with what I got. A little tartness as it falls down the back.

M - lots of carbonation. Really light on the tongue with the aforementioned tartness. Somewhat dry and little hint of alcohol.

O - can't say I was disappointed with this one. Boulevard always leaves me happy. Not the best saison I've had, but certainly up there. Wish I had more.

2.5/5  rDev -41.7%

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

2.25/5  rDev -47.6%

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer several years ago when I really could not get myself to like a saison. Now that I am more accepting of the style, I am giving it another shot.

Appearance - Poured into a glass, the saison was a golden yellow color and produced an aggressive white head. I might go so far as to propose that this beer was happy to see me.

Smell - The aroma had the funk of a saison but something more. It is evident that this beer is hopped.

Taste - At the front, you get gritty lemon rind that puts the side of the tongue on high alert. The hops, which are masked to a degree, assault the central portion of the tongue. The hops make this an elite saison, yet they do not overwhelm the delicate balance of funk. A dry citrus aftertaste comes as the finish.

Mouthfeel - A good saison should have enough sediment to look like a snowglobe. My glass looks like a scene from "It's a Wonderful Life." The head was overly foamy, making the saison hard to pour. However, I would not take points off for this.

Overall - One of my favorite saisons.

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Saison-Brett from Boulevard Brewing Co.