Saison-Brett - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Saison-BrettSaison-Brett

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-13-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison-Brett Alström Bros

cdugan, Feb 16, 2012

fdkayti, Feb 15, 2012

John11486, Feb 15, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a ridiculous three inch fluffy whore head on a mutrky pale gold body. Clumptastic lacing and very good head retention.

S- One of the funkiest smelling beers I've ever encountered although I have a feling there are some sweet notes hidden behind there.

T- Funky to the core. Bready and yeastiness as well. Hides the 8.5%abv incredibly well.

M- You'd think this would be highly carbonated but I'm not finding that. Mediium to medium thin mouthfeel.

D/O- Really hard to magine a better saison as this is an absolute treat. Great drinkability. Nice Valentine's Day treat with my girlfriend!

Duff27, Feb 15, 2012

alalvarez75, Feb 13, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

These bottles were a little hard to come by...Thanks for the trade matt

Appearance:
Cloudy orange-amber in color with a huge plume of fluffy white foam on top. The head took awhile to die down, but left nice lacing and a fine, risidual blanketing.
There's obviously some sediment at the bottom.

Smell:
Oh sweet baby jesus...Potent citrus, alcohol and some funky barnyard brett. I'm assuming they used a similar saison base to Tank 7 to make this beer...with the brett addition they've hit a home run. It's really quite delicate and funky.

Taste:
Crisp and drinkable, barnyard funk, and a potent bitterness. This is the complete brettanized saison and it's got all the elements that I'm looking for. I honestly can compare it to much else...

Mouthfeel:
The initial sip is lemon drop sweetness that's instantly pulverized by resiny hops and a biting alcohol. I would say this beer is light-medium bodied and provides tremendous carbonation. The aftertaste that lingers is funky, dry, and bitter.

Overall:
Wow, this is quite the beer and I'm glad I could finally try it. Initially opening the bottle I'm blown away and can't wait to try one a few months down the line.

ThePorterSorter, Feb 11, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

bottle # 17780 from 2011.

This pours a clear golden straw color with a tremendous amount of foam. There’s a yeasty, estery, funky aroma to this, familiar to anyone who has had Boulevard’s Tank 7 saison. Similar flavor on the mouth, yeasty, floral, estery with a dry finish. Wonderful character, with a lemony tang whispering underneath. As it warms it holds up.

elNopalero, Feb 10, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

leschkie, Feb 10, 2012

NickTickler, Feb 10, 2012

Reknirt, Feb 09, 2012

hoppymcgee, Feb 09, 2012

freduardo, Feb 09, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Crazy amount of head...half the glass and even with a gentle pour. Hazy golden yellow body. Some carbonation visible through the haze.

The Brett is imparting some really nice aromas here. Not as strong as a lot of Brett brews, but a nice presence. Wet hay and horse blanket aromas. The Brett has more I would say of an outdoor kind of funk than a musty basement smell. The aroma is more earthy and outdoor than inside and musty. Like with many Saison/Farmhouse beers I get an apple skin and fresh cut apple aroma. Also a delicious lemony zest goodness on the nose.

Flavors I get are of lemon, light pepper notes which add a spiciness to the mouthfeel, vanilla, white grape, and apple skins. The mouthfeel is smooth, bready, carbonation makes itself known, and the mildest of tartness sits way in the background. Very refreshing, mild bitterness in the finish, and drys out quickly...keeps you wanting to come back for more.

The one surprisingly missing aspect is the sourness in the taste. The faintest tart flavor comes through, but the wild yeast is not giving any mouth puckering sourness. Very balanced and almost unbelievable that this beer is 8.5%. It drinks so easy.

[95/100]

mindspin315, Feb 07, 2012

GuisseppeFranco, Feb 06, 2012

Fitzmke, Feb 04, 2012

XicanoBeerRun, Feb 02, 2012

jhimstedt, Feb 01, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Got this at a little liquor store in Puyallup, WA. Right? I know, I am just as suprised as you are. I had it while traveling, this is from notes.
2009 batch.

A: Golden, a little murkey, pours a good fluffy white head that simmers down to a light foam. good lacing.

S: Apples, light hoppy earthiness, nice bready notes. I thought there would've been a more pronounced funky-ness but there wasn't. I have to admit I was slightly dissapointed that there wasn't, despite the fact that this beer smells awesome!

T: A nice tart, dry body, mixed with a nice sweet malt. Good carbonation distributes and melts all the flavors into a nice harmony. Great, absolutley great.

M: Perfect.

O: I'd say ignore the expiry date. This beer can go if you let it. It just might get better! But, with that being said. This beer is fantastic now, and worth the price!

OldPenguinHunter, Jan 31, 2012

Joshgonzales79, Jan 30, 2012

bigoten13, Jan 29, 2012

RSchaeffer, Jan 28, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

My bottle was batched 2009-2

A friend pointed out to me this week that I had left this bottle in the cellar too long and I needed to drink it now. This was the 1st purchase I made when starting a cellar and I guess I forgot about it. Before continuing my review, I also want to acknowledge that after purchasing this bottle I had since learned that I am not a fan of this style of beer. Though I am not a fan, I tried to be open to what my palate was sensing.

appearance: golden yellow. Nice thick white head w/ some lacing on the sides of glass.

smell: I could smell a lot of apple notes and other crisp fruits.The smell was rather acidic...vinegary. From the smell I could tell I wasn't going to enjoy the flavor.

Taste: I was surprised that I liked the taste better than I thought i was going to. I could taste the Brett characteristic and it was alright. Also taste some hoppy notes. From the flavor I could tell I was drinking a pretty good version of this style of beer but as I mentioned above it is a style I don't necessaily care for.

Mouthfeel: Just fine. wasn't thick nor thin. The carbonation was perfect.

Overall: I would recommend this beer to anyone who knows they like this style of beer. If you enjoy farmhouse ales then I think you will appreciate this one. I personally finished 3/4 of my glass before deciding to move on to something i enjoy better.

Kidfrogger, Jan 28, 2012

grownfool, Jan 27, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Got this beer in the 100% satisfaction redux BIF. Have been really excited to try this for a long time. Opens with a loud resounding pop. I was a bit worried about a gusher, but the beer stayed put. Pours with a big billowy white head that has some great staying power with a bit of nice lacing, but there is definitely too much head here. Aroma is very nice and fruity with a lot of Belgian pale ale characteristics, not much funk or brettyness than I would have expected or wanted. Flavor is mildly sweet and fruity, but nice and dry and crisp, a bit more barnyard than the aroma (especially in the aftertaste), and a mild alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is very light with good refreshing carbonation. Exactly the dry effervescent beer I would have wanted.

Agold, Jan 25, 2012
Saison-Brett from Boulevard Brewing Co.