Saison-Brett - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Saison-BrettSaison-Brett

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-13-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison-Brett Alström Bros

Fitzmke, Feb 04, 2012

XicanoBeerRun, Feb 02, 2012

jhimstedt, Feb 01, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

Got this at a little liquor store in Puyallup, WA. Right? I know, I am just as suprised as you are. I had it while traveling, this is from notes.
2009 batch.

A: Golden, a little murkey, pours a good fluffy white head that simmers down to a light foam. good lacing.

S: Apples, light hoppy earthiness, nice bready notes. I thought there would've been a more pronounced funky-ness but there wasn't. I have to admit I was slightly dissapointed that there wasn't, despite the fact that this beer smells awesome!

T: A nice tart, dry body, mixed with a nice sweet malt. Good carbonation distributes and melts all the flavors into a nice harmony. Great, absolutley great.

M: Perfect.

O: I'd say ignore the expiry date. This beer can go if you let it. It just might get better! But, with that being said. This beer is fantastic now, and worth the price!

OldPenguinHunter, Jan 31, 2012

Joshgonzales79, Jan 30, 2012

bigoten13, Jan 29, 2012

RSchaeffer, Jan 28, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -15.4%

My bottle was batched 2009-2

A friend pointed out to me this week that I had left this bottle in the cellar too long and I needed to drink it now. This was the 1st purchase I made when starting a cellar and I guess I forgot about it. Before continuing my review, I also want to acknowledge that after purchasing this bottle I had since learned that I am not a fan of this style of beer. Though I am not a fan, I tried to be open to what my palate was sensing.

appearance: golden yellow. Nice thick white head w/ some lacing on the sides of glass.

smell: I could smell a lot of apple notes and other crisp fruits.The smell was rather acidic...vinegary. From the smell I could tell I wasn't going to enjoy the flavor.

Taste: I was surprised that I liked the taste better than I thought i was going to. I could taste the Brett characteristic and it was alright. Also taste some hoppy notes. From the flavor I could tell I was drinking a pretty good version of this style of beer but as I mentioned above it is a style I don't necessaily care for.

Mouthfeel: Just fine. wasn't thick nor thin. The carbonation was perfect.

Overall: I would recommend this beer to anyone who knows they like this style of beer. If you enjoy farmhouse ales then I think you will appreciate this one. I personally finished 3/4 of my glass before deciding to move on to something i enjoy better.

Kidfrogger, Jan 28, 2012

grownfool, Jan 27, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -2.6%

Got this beer in the 100% satisfaction redux BIF. Have been really excited to try this for a long time. Opens with a loud resounding pop. I was a bit worried about a gusher, but the beer stayed put. Pours with a big billowy white head that has some great staying power with a bit of nice lacing, but there is definitely too much head here. Aroma is very nice and fruity with a lot of Belgian pale ale characteristics, not much funk or brettyness than I would have expected or wanted. Flavor is mildly sweet and fruity, but nice and dry and crisp, a bit more barnyard than the aroma (especially in the aftertaste), and a mild alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is very light with good refreshing carbonation. Exactly the dry effervescent beer I would have wanted.

Agold, Jan 25, 2012

Skye1024, Jan 23, 2012

ThirstyHerf, Jan 22, 2012

jALEson, Jan 22, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip. Batch 2011-2, best by 2013.

Appearance: Careful pour yields a 3 inch rocky white head that leaves walls of bubbly lacing. Pours clear gold, and leaves little subsequent lacing.

Smell: Very effervescent. Bretty tang, but not really musty or dirty. Lots of mineraly smells. Approaches fruity (peach).

Taste: I had to drink some of the head to avoid spilling the beer, and it tasted only of mild brettanomyces flavors.

The beer itself has an awesome and unexpected malt backbone, much more pronounced than in most saisons and pairing very well with the mild brett funk. Indistinct but noticeable hop flavor, with above average bitterness.

Nice balance; more traditional pale ale flavors than cologne-y saison flavors actually (though the latter are present). There's a great fruity element that tastes like strawberry and peach. Not the most complex saison or brett beer around, but well balanced and very palatable.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. High side of moderate carbonation. Very dry.

Overall: This is a great beer to pair with food. It doesn't fully come together for me, and the mouthfeel is a little harsh, but I really love some of the flavors it delivers. Would drink again, but preferably when it's hot out and with a meal.

Pahn, Jan 22, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

RWNewhouse, Jan 20, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

Review from notes. Big thanks to Lee for this one!

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a very large, foamy white head. Had to wait a few minutes to even attempt to drink any. Great retention and sizeable lacing down the sides.

S: Grassy with nice elements of fruity zest and some light spices, mostly pepper. The brett gives it a little funk, but not as much as I was expecting. I assume that as the beer ages, the funk comes out more.

T: Similar to the aroma, sweet fruit and citrus zest right away, mostly orange and lemon. The brett comes out a little bit, giving it a little bit of an earthy/barnyard flavor. The spices are on the light side.

M: Medium bodied with high carbonation. Extremely smooth and easy drinking. No sign of the abv at all.

O: Really impressed with this beer, lived up to its reputation for sure. A beer I could drink everyday. Would love to see what happens to a bottle with a little bit of age on it.

mdaschaf, Jan 20, 2012

Kahlerbock, Jan 19, 2012

mcc1654, Jan 19, 2012

KAF, Jan 18, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

gkunkle, Jan 18, 2012

MeisterSmudge, Jan 16, 2012
Saison-Brett from Boulevard Brewing Co.