Saison-Brett - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Saison-BrettSaison-Brett

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-13-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison-Brett Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Excellent take. I wouldn't age it, but that's my predilections coming through - I don't want the brett to completely take over. I think the dry hopping brings this thing home for me, taking it to a place I haven't been with cleaner saisons.

Phenols will be present, so if you're one of those folks who are super sensitive to that "band-aid" flavor (like me), this may or may not be for you. It has the obvious barnyard characteristics, but over the damn top. Whooo! Strong mamma-jamma. Serious ass lemon and hay. Sun. Foam. Roll this one good for the suspension. How does sun and summertime hay bailing taste? I'm not sure, but this beer is the business.

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

4.16/5  rDev -3%

The final beer of the night, and a great way to conclude a fun, low-key tasting. Thanks for coming, friends!

Pours a nice straw color, clear and bubbly with a nice head that recedes slowly.

Smell is great. Earthy, very lightly funky, some spice, a bit of fruit - pear? peach? it's hard to place it. It's really nice though, very balanced.

Taste is excellent, and follows the nose. Really well balanced, with sweetness, earthy flavors, a bit of spice. I'd love to see how this one develops - it's really great right now. Super drinkable, I can imagine this one going well with food. Great beer for a warm summer day.

Mouthfeel is smooth, a little creamy, good carb.

Really, the drinkability on this one is just fantastic. Really pleasant, it's a great palate cleanser. If it wasn't for the price point, I could drink this all summer.

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

750ml bottle served in a snifter.
2011 vintage (bottle No. 20182)

pours a hazy golden yellow while yielding a creamy, billowing 3" head. decent head retention and some patchy lacing evident. nose is something else. aromatic with strong notes of citrus (lemon), grass, with a strong herbal / funk presence.

taste follows the aroma. very herbal, grassy and citric with some spice (esp pepper) and a secondary note of pear or peach. really nicely crafted. medium-light bodied with high carbonation.

overall this is a really good - nay, great - saison. funky, complex, and tasty! grabbed another bottle which i'll throw in the cellar for a while, would like to see what some age does to this. easily my favorite out of the offerings i've sampled from the smokestack series.

(originally reviewed: 09-12-2011)

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

I've very much enjoyed every single Smokestack Series beer that Boulevard has made. Their Tank 7 is an excellent saison, so much adored that my cousin asked for it to be his wedding present. A customer, I work in a liquor store, and I were talking about saisons and he talked about the Saison-Brett, of which we had just got. He highly recommended it and so I got it myself. Unfortunately, the weather turned a bit foul today while drinking it so I couldn't enjoy it with a blazing sun. Oh well, a damn good beer will always be a damn good beer.

The Saison-Brett looks very much like Boulevard's Tank 7. It forms a fluffy white head that fizzles away fairly quickly but a thin, perhaps centimeter or two amount of head stays on top throughout drinking. There's a lot of lacing too. My first pour brought about a slightly cloudy and golden beer with tiny yeast particles floating about. My second pour, after swirling it to get more yeast, brought about a more cloudy beer with more yeast.

Some interesting aromas going on with this one. Floral and lemon citrus hops, a little bit of black pepper spice, grassy sweetness, and that distinct Belgian yeastiness. The brett, as I guess I will now call it, bring some good funkiness to the nose.

I guess the taste of this beer is divisive, at least with those who don't appreciate good beer. I thought my mother and sister would at least think it was decent but they both loathed the taste, making disgusted faces after trying it, and my brother, who isn't much a fan of brett beers, liked it. The Saison-Brett has a good balance between its Belgian yeasts, the funkiness of the brett, and hops. Up front is slight bitterness and lemon zestiness from the hops. It's followed by Belgian yeast goodness, a sort of floral, if that can be attributed to taste, and herbaceous character. Do I detect jasmine? Not sure. This is what makes Belgian beers so interesting, and saisons particularly, in my opinion. The brett brings a mild funkiness to it that is sort of barrel-aged in character. At the end there's a delightful grassy sweetness and a bit of tartness. Even though it's 8.5% ABV, I couldn't detect booziness.

Medium-bodied with a medium-high carbonation. It all goes down smooth, the yeastiness giving it a more creamy feel. The finish is nice a dry.

I had no doubt I'd enjoy this beer and it didn't disappoint. Saisons are still my favorite Belgian style beer and Boulevard's offerings have helped with coming to that belief. This beer is a good use of brett. It's funky but isn't bold in its addition to the beer's other qualities, meaning it's a well-balanced and enjoyable beer. No doubt there will be many children named "Brett" after this beer.

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Big white fluffy head on top of a nice gold yellow body. Initial aroma gives you a bit of juicy fruit notes and some spice. Opens up quite a bit more on the palate. Nice balance of flavors but not quite as funky as expected, only slightly musty. Apple and citrus notes with some bubblegum notes. Pepper and lemongrass offset the sweetness. Crisp and bubbly mouthfeel makes for quite a refreshing beverage. Overall, truly an exceptional saison just a few shades shy of perfect.

4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

2012 750ml bottle. Served slightly chilled in a tulip.

Pour clear as can be light straw color. Frothy head that holds nicely. Very fine bubbles lace the glass. Cork made a decent sound, but appears to have average carbonation.

Smell is subtle, but distinctly Brett. More of a citrusy - floral brett aroma. Very bright and pleasant.

Subtle flavor profile as well. Really rolls on the tongue. Start mild and thin, and ends with a sharper bite from Ph and carbonation. I expected more of a sour note, but that isn't the beer's fault. Tartness is there, just way modest. 8.5%ABV is both respectable and very well hidden. Slight white wine character, but an impressively clean tasting fermentation.

Its a very refreshing beer. Not much too it. I'm sure it was a complex process to make, but the outcome comes off quite simple.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Saison-Brett from Boulevard Brewing Co.