Saison-Brett - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Saison-BrettSaison-Brett

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-13-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison-Brett Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pale hazy orange color with a big ivory-colored head. Good retention, chunky lacings.

The aroma is clean and refreshing with notes of lemon peel, tangerines, wheat crackers, mild brett and well integrated hop notes.

The taste is very refreshing with a gentle sweetness and a mildly tart complement. A light malty backbone is coupled with lovely fruit notes of lemon and tangerine. Clean brett aromas and well integrated hop notes. The finish is dry with a light bitterness to it and tart citric notes. No sign of the alcohol.

Moderate body, effervescent character.

A lovely beer - refreshing and easy to drink but still lots of character.

ricke, Jan 14, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

I picked up 2 of these beers. And figured one now and one to lay down.

A: Poured a cloudy straw haze with a thick white head

S: Saison mostly, a little lacking of brett

T: Nice but not what I expected. I thought it was very close to their Smokestack Saison. I think it needs time

M: Very nice.. Dry and musty. I liked it.

D: Very drinkable but it needs time.

I'll update my review in a year or two

madtowndmb1, Jan 08, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle on 12/10/09
thanks to Hophead101 for sharing this one

A - pours an orangish yellow with 2 fingers of fluffy white foam

S - slightly funky aroma, hints of spice, some citrus, nicely balanced, nothing too strong

T - citrus, old shoe, some pepper and farmhouse funk

M - nicely carbonated, has an almost syrupy malt feeling which slightly detracts from the overall enjoyment

D - the funk and malt almost even out, i wish the brett was more dominating the taste

mikereaser, Jan 08, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -10.3%

A: HUGE head of tiny bubbles, fluffy, nice retention. Golden, and slightly opaque.

S: Tasty fruits and intense citrusy hops. Spicy, peppery. Apple, and some pear when you dig.

T: Light pale malt upfront, lemon, spicy (pepper), juicy citrus. A bit sweet. Citrus, fruit & light funk finish. Not as funky as I was expecting.

M: High carbonation

An interesting beer from Boulevard. I was expecting a bit more from this after having had the regular saison, and it was a bit of a letdown. Still a nice beer though.

darklordlager, Jan 08, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to my pal bierguy5 for picking this one up for me.

Pours a pissy yellow with multitudes of bubbles and some yeast particles. Head is light, large, and fluffy and a brilliant white.

Aromas of sweet tart fruits, hints of berries, nice citrusy nose, hints of floral esters. Slight funkiness but more clean in nature.

Well balanced with nothing really overpowering and not a huge complex nature. Straightforward and very quaffable. Nice brett addition just adding that bit of tart sourness that brings forth the spicy character of the saison. White pepper, lemon, and wild berries. Yeasty flavors with a crisp clean finish. Nice amount of acidity as well.

mcallister, Jan 08, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

2009 - Batch 2 Bottle No....errr forgot to write that one down.

A: Poured into a Duvel Tulip, this saison has a very clean golden poppy colored body to it. The head cascades like a soapy bucket of water, nice and full of vertical abnormalities. The head keeps plenty of retention as a small continuous stream of carbonation won't let it die. Chunky lacing. Pretty spot on for the style.

S: The smell is of grassy hops, pear skin, peppery yeast, and a grain quality that is like crackers.

T: This beer has an extremely dry character to it. The initial taste up front is grassy and grain-like. Midway through the sweet part of the beer comes out, apple/pear skins come to mind, and is followed by a wave of dryness, spicy & peppery phenols. The finish of this beer is dry and short. For it's style it's good, but after drinking a Saison Rue from the Bruery last night I am finding myself not liking this beer as much as I though I would have. A moderately balanced beer, but the dryness is powers it's way over a lot of the flavors and I find the finish to lack a lasting impression.

M: This beer has an amazing feel to it, absolutely creamy and smooth as it rushes itself across the tongue on it's way to the stomach. Tone the carbonation down a little and it's damn near perfect for the style.

D: I would be interested in trying another batch perhaps? I didn't get the sweetness or funk/tartness I was craving from the style. The look and mouthfeel are damn impressive. All in all a good beer.

MPLS, Jan 04, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle of the latest batch picked up at Cyclone Liquors in Ames, IA.

a - pours a bright golden color with a huge rocky white head, quite hazy, very good retention a lacing

s - wow, awesome aroma, lots of black pepper, lemon, orange and spice mixed with a pronounced funkiness and earthiness added by the brett, light alcohol notes, lots going on

t - lot of black pepper, spice and lemon zest up front with a healthy dose of bread/yeast, mid-palate is where the brett makes its appearance with funkiness and a mild tartness developing, finish is slightly tart with lingering lemon and black pepper flavors, alcohol is present but not a prominent flavor, as the bottle says, I would expect the brett characteristics to develop a bit more over time - I like this a lot right now, but I think I'll age my other bottle a bit to let the bugs do their work

m - very effervescent in the mouth with higher carbonation, medium-bodied, fairly dry finish, some alcohol warming

d - pretty drinkable and easy on the palate right now, certainly interesting and complex flavors

Very good beer and perhaps the best saison I've ever had. I'm really looking forward to revisiting this beer with some age on it, because I think more prominent brett characteristics could take it to another level.

WeisGuy, Jan 03, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

My brother picked this up for me awhile back in Denver and sent it out. I let it cellar for a bit to really let the brett work a bit. Bottling date 1-2009.

Appearance- Pours a bright, sparkling golden with just a touch of haze in the body, probably from a bit of disturbed yeast. Huge three or four finger of meringue like off-white make this one quite a looker. Retention is great as well, with about a fourth finger sticking around throughout. Not much in the way of lacing however but lots of beading throughout the body.

Smell- Quite interesting for a saison. Lots of barnyard and funk very prominent. Furthermore, lots of citrus in the nose. Smells of lemons, with some grass and hay in the background. Complex and multi-layered from the brett.

Taste- Lots of citrus and hay in the foreground. Backed up by some musty funk. A refreshing bite on the finish. Brett has added an almost lambic-esque tartness to this that makes it very refreshing. Reminds me quite a bit of Orval in fact. I like this quite a bit.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is light on the tongue and spritzy. Substantial however and not watery in the least. Drinkability is excellent and it is very refreshing and goes down easy.

Overall, one of the most interesting takes on a saison I have ever had. Really like this and recommend it highly.

boatshoes, Jan 02, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

This was really my first beer of the new year, as I had it on the night of 1/1, although I was drinking some Moonlight Toast after midnight passed on 12/31. Sampled this before at GABF '09 but resisted the urge to review it. Bottle #7153 via trade on BA thanks to Ineedabeerhere.

The bottle was a gusher as my it was uncorked. Brought my Bruery tulip over to save as much of the foam as I could. It was hard to pour this stuff without getting a crazy amount of foam and very little beer. Once you succeed in pouring it though, it pours a hazy golden color with a massive foamy white head that takes awhile to fade.

Aroma is bretty and yeasty, along with honey, pale malt, citrus, spice, and earthy notes.

Flavor is awesome and complex. Lots of brett in there, but it's not ridiculous. Bready pale malt, honey, spice and pepper, lemon, and floral hops.

Medium-light and prickly on the palate, extremely crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability is very high. Overall this is a beer that just doesn't have many flaws to it. This is about as good as the saison style gets.

nickd717, Jan 02, 2010

Review #100.
Batch #2009-2.
bottle #06474 out of 13400.

I poured this beer into a round tulip after spending five minutes carefully working the cork out of the bottle.

This beer pours a wonderfully bright honey yellow and orange straw color. There's two fingers of tight creamy head and thousands of tiny bubbles keep cascading up from the bottom of the glass.

The nose is awesome. Peppery and spicey with lemon notes mixed with fruity esters and some slight brett funk. It smells refreshing and it's reminding me of summer which is nice because it's dangerously cold out right now.

The taste follows the nose. Sweet and bready malts with a splash of lemon, pepper, hay, horse, and earth. I'm catching a little cheese and hop bitterness as well. It's very estery, but not overdone. One of the more complex Saisons I've had in awhile. It finishes dry, peppery, and fruity. It's also a little warming, but the alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice level of carbonation. It's not biting, but the bubbles really pop.

One of the best Saisons out there and it's priced really well too. I'm really looking forward to trying the bottles I have in the cellar to see how this beer ages. I plan on finishing the rest of this bottle tonight and I can't help but think that this a great beer to start the new year with.

beertooth, Jan 02, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured this 750 mL brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Numbered 5965 of 13400. The body was a bright golden and clear of sediment. The head was white, large, irregular and creamy. Clumps remained throughout.

Smell was wonderfully funky, earthy, and spicy. Cloves and nutmeg? Not too spicy, just right. Powdery. Rich.

Taste was Belgian yeast. Dirt floor cellar. Apples. Black pepper. Bright fruitiness. Wet stones. There was a nice bitter linger. This is one of the best American saisons I've had.

Mouthfeel was medium in body and had moderate carbonation.

Cresant, Dec 28, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

2009 Release

Pours a clear glowing orange color with a gigantic 3 fingers of fluffy head and some effervescent carbonation rising to the top.

Smell is a fantastic blend of yeast, citrus, and grains.

The taste is extremely light tartness, citrus zing, yeast, and Cheerios. The Brett hasn't quite had a chance to work its magic yet at this young age. There is some noticeable band aid/barnyard elements, but they are not as prominent as the small sample of the '08 that I had recently. Very thirst quenching.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of foamy carbonation. Drinkability is high due to the refreshing nature of the taste, but like with more funky beers I am more than satisfied with 12 oz. Very solid beer, highly recommended.

alcstradamus, Dec 26, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

When I pour this beer into my glass, I get a huge while fluffy head with pretty good lacing. As I hold the glass to the light, I can see through the light copper/slightly orange coloured beer, but it's slightly hazy. It's probably from the yeast; there are a lot of small bubbles floating in the glass as well. However, the head has a lot of larger bubbles. Upon smelling the beer, I get the distinct saison notes. An estery floral note, which reminds me a little bit of a sweet orange, comes through at first, but then it's immediately followed by a spicy/peppery phenol. I like the balance of the nose, especially because it's more estery than spicy, but where's the brett? I do not smell any brett, but perhaps the load of esters come form the brett more than the Belgian yeast strain. Anyways, I should probably have a sip instead of smelling it all evening.

Whoa. When taking a sip of this beer, I am completely surprised. There isn't anything reminiscent of a Saison or a funky barnyard brett character. It's almost as fruity as an IPA. I get a really sweet citrus note with a slight bit of a grapefruit initially, but then that evolves into a grainy, pilsner malt flavour. If I were drinking this as a blind test, I'd have no idea what style this beer was. There is also a slight bit of alcohol in here, but it probably comes through the beer is dry. The high amount of carbonation in the beer gives a slight acidic note which balances out the citric notes perfectly; its existence even washes the flavours off of your tongue before you have more time to figure out what the flavours are. Since the balance is almost perfect, it's hard to even figure if there is anything more to the beer besides the fruity/estery flavours and grainy pilsner flavours.

With a fairly light mouthfeel (probably should say it's aqueous), I'd say this beer is completely drinkable; even though there is a slight alcohol flavour, which I wouldn't expect from a superior 8.5% abv beer, I don't find it distracting at all. It's something that can add to the experience of drinking a Belgian beer. Think about Westmalle Tripel for a perfect example. I really like this beer, and Boulevard Smokestack special limited releases have never ceased to amaze me. So far, I've had Saison-Brett, Bourbon Barrel Quad, and the Imperial Stout, and they are all great beers. Not too mention the main smoke stack beers are great as well.

Originally for http://theiasfbeardedbrewers.blogspot.com/2009/12/boulevard-saison-brett.html

swizzlenuts, Dec 26, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a tulip which quickly formed a monsrously huge white head. Cloudy orange-yellow beer with good levels of lacing and retention. Normally I would not describe saisons or brettanomyces as smelling amazing, but Saison-Brett's nose is absolutely off the charts. Sweet lotus blossoms, rose petals, hibiscus, and various flora made for one of the best saison aromas I have experienced. The beer itself tasted of dried apples, spicy cloves, and a very light level of funk. The flavor was good, but honestly the aroma is what makes this beer. The mouthfeel is also spot on, super creamy medium carbonation and a nice light body. This beer looks, smells, and feels amazing, just too bad the taste may be the weakest link here (though it is still good).

vacax, Dec 24, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by ipa247. Thanks Jeff!

A: Pours a murky, light goldenrod color in the glass. It has a huge head, with great retention and outstanding lacing down the glass.

S: Plenty of hay. A mild yeastiness with some grain. Brett funk that opens up and becomes more dominant as it warms (horse blanket, mainly).

T: Apricot, orange rind. More than a touch of lemon zest in there. Hops manifest as herbal and floral flavors. However, the brett firmly wrestles control away in the finish. manifesting as a very funky flavor, with a strongly dominant horse-blanket aftertaste.

M: Light-bodied. If anything, it is TOO high in carbonation, with a lightly dry finish.

D: Goes down very well. It grew on me immensely as it warmed. I'd love to have more, but I think they need to tweak the brett a bit.

Arbitrator, Dec 22, 2009

Beer review - Boulevard - Saison Brett

It says Number 07872 of 13400 bottles.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden yellow color with a thick ¾" head of active white bubbles that is maintained by a whole bunch of bubbles rising. After a few minutes, the head is made up of bigger bubbles, but there is still a whole bunch of bubbles rising to maintain the head. After quite a few minutes the head is still there and looks like it has no intention of letting up at all. That is nice, and it leaves a solid amount of lace on the side of the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Right after the pour I could definitely pick up the Brett character as a defined earthy presence that was clean leather. After a few minutes the head is still thick, so I can get only some citrus notes that I think are primarily hop derived. The yeast is giving the beer a dry earthy aroma, and the citrus is turning more into a clean lemon presence as the beer sits a while.

Taste: Very clean and well balanced flavor. The malt is there and challenges the yeast, hops and such, but doesn't really take control the whole time and stays in the shadows until the finish. The funky notes are definitely present in the flavor, but are supportive overall and doesn't rule the flavor as it has in some Brett beers. The hops are very noticeable the whole time, and this makes this beer a bit unusual with the wild character...it reminds me of an "amped up" Orval in some ways. Though the malt is playing a supportive role in the beer, it does lend considerably to the mouthfeel, making the beer rather creamy as it skids across the palate on a solid bed of carbonation.

Opinion: This beer has been a pleasure to drink. I must say that it has broadened my horizons as far as Boulevard beers go. I mean, I like their Bully Porter and such, but this beer borders on outstanding. It is visually very well represented with solid and diverse aroma and flavor profiles. What more can you ask for? All this said, there is no way in heck that I would put it up there with the top of the Dupont heap of Saisons, but this is a solid offering from an American brewery. I would recommend it.

SkeeterHawk, Dec 20, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

A - pours a faint dull clearish yellow with a massive head.

S - smells very sweet. Very sweet fruits, I am picking up artificial cherries. There is a bit of earthiness to it. There is also some spicy, coriander-esque qualities in the nose.

T - The taste follows the nose. There is a lot of fruitiness combined with earthiness. It starts off very sweet and malty--there is some cherry and orange that is blended with some Belgian tasting spices. This fades to some grassy hops and dirt linger on the dry finish.

M - very full and amazingly smooth. I thought this thing was very carbonated based on the head from my very conservative pour. This abv is extremely well masked.

D - This is an interesting take on a saison. I really enjoyed it and can understand why it is so highly sought after. It definitely kept my interest throughout. I have one more in the cellar and will see how this develops in time.

birchstick, Dec 20, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks to KCHopHead for the trade...
Bottle # 10152 / 11952

Appears a hazy, light gold with a small white head. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of honey, barnyard funk, pilsner malt, sugar, and light hops.
Taste is of the aromas with a funky, lip smacking flavor that is authentic farmhouse style saison.

weeare138, Dec 15, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

(Served in a tulip glass) #07072 2009 batch
A- This beer has a clear apricot body with a creamy soft peak head of antique white that last for the full beer turning into cobwebs as the glass empties. There is a sea of carbonation supporting the head.
S- This has a beautiful fresh floral apricot aroma from the second the cork pops and some tulip and natural bubblegum notes for days. The aroma turns into a very pleasant Windex aroma with a soft pine finish and I would give this 5++ on the aroma. I could not stop huffing this elixir.
T- The nice grapefruit flavor has a soft earthy note and that wonderful musty brett quality with some dried apricot notes to follow. There is a soft green bite at the finish to this beer.
M- There is a medium-light mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a tight cleaning fizz under the flavor.
D- This is a beautiful beer. The full fragrant flavor has a nice complexity with some bright fruity flavors and crispness. This is a great beer now and I will have to try this aged to see how the brett flavors come out.

rhoadsrage, Dec 07, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

75cl bottle shared by Diomede. Opaque gold with yeast chunks floating around and a white, frothy head. The aroma is just straightforward citrus and brett with lots of lemon peel, grass, and hay. Not really intense though, and seemed to dissipate after awhile, needing a top-up to kick back into action. The flavor is relatively clean for a saison, but gets all the nuances in there, with dry malt flavors, soft yet spicy bitterness and hop flavors, and a nice light bretty funk. Medium-light body with higher carbonation and smooth bubbles. Nothing really amazing about it, but it is no doubt a quality and well constructed saison. Everything balances out to make an exceptionally drinkable beer, especially considering the alcohol content. I'm not sure how old this bottle was, but it did have a relatively bright, fresh quality to the flavor and aroma, so maybe more time in the cellar would add some interesting stuff to it with the yeast developing a little more. Definitely worth seeking out again.

bulletrain76, Dec 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle courtesy of Diomede. Pours a very cloudy goldenrod color with a wet off-white head. Aroma is pungent with brett and sharp spices. Fruity with apples and lemons, with some cinnamon and pepper notes as well. Flavor starts off with tart lemon, hay, grass, and dried stone fruit, then melds into a sweet honey/vanilla note before finishing dry, clean, and earthy. Nice soft mouthfeel, complex yet drinkable.

illidurit, Dec 07, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

bottle courtesy of Diomede

S: Brett, tart, earthy, grainy, sharp, amazing

A: Golden yellow, large thick fluffy white head, champagne like

T: Grainy, earthy, tart, dryness, all balanced well

M: Perfect for style. Medium, slick and dry.

D: Dryness and tartness leaves you craving more

Overall: Impressive smell, and for style the brett inegrates well.

bret27, Dec 06, 2009

Aroma: It has a perfume like aroma with some herbal notes.

Appearance: It has a nice hazy golden body. The head is an off white color with sort of a little bronze tone. This is a mad foamy beer. It has a great spread out lace.

Tastes: The esters of melon and banana. The hops presences are herbal.

Mouthfeel:It has a full to medium body with a little bit of tingle.

Drinkability: Great dinner beer or just sitting and relaxing beer. It is very easy to finish the bottle.

MTNboy, Dec 06, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +10%

fresh batch 2009-2 #02689 out of 13400

pours bright and somewhat hazy yellow gold with a big 3 finger pillowy head that fades down to a film and leaves noches down the glass

smell - dry hopped hell yes!! - beyond that very fruity some pepper & funk but the hops take center stage

taste - this is tough to rate - this bottle is fresh and while this is by far the best saison i have had hands down i feel that age would only make it better - the hops seem to over power the funk - very fruity banana peach pepper and the funky brett - if the brett was stronger this would be a mind blowing saison - good thing i have a couple to age

mouthfeel is great - light yet strong in flavors plenty of carbonation that gives that bite upfront and leaves you with the smooth creamy finish

drinkability - no matter what time of year or what the weather is i could drink this beer

jsh420, Dec 03, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip glass. Only a few more days till the LSAT trying to calm myself down with a nice bottle of beer.

A: Pours out bright, clear and brilliantly gold, head is high and tight and two inches thick though it fades into a cap but does leave behind some nice bits of lace.

S: Peaches and pears, wonderfully sweet with only hints of white grapey tartness.

T/MF: Wonderfully mix of sweet and tart, almost a carbon copy of the aroma with the volume turned up. Peppery, peaches and pears with the skin of white grapes all mixed together. Feel is lively, slightly chewy and has a wonderfully bright texture.

D: It's almost indescribable how nice and tasty this beer is, really no need to get overly flowery with descriptions here. If you see this beer buy it, it stacks up with any other saison out there today.

bluemoonswoon, Dec 02, 2009
Saison-Brett from Boulevard Brewing Co.