The Sixth Glass - Boulevard Brewing Co.

The Sixth GlassThe Sixth Glass

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-15-2007

”Do you know what dwells in a glass?” asks Ole, in Hans Christian Andersen's The Watchman of the Tower. Better known for stories such as The Little Mermaid, Andersen wrote this short, cautionary tale for a somewhat older audience. Our quadrupel ale, also meant for the mature connoisseur, is a deep and mysterious libation, dark auburn and full-bodied, its sweetness deceptive. As Ole describes the glasses in turn, their contents become more ominous until, in the sixth glass...

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Sixth Glass Alström Bros
Reviews: 761 | Hads: 2,635
1.95/5  rDev -52.2%

12 oz bottle, poured into a wide-mouth snifter at approximately 50 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange-amber, and forms a thick orange head with good retention and lacing. I'm hesitant right away, because I've found orange in the color of a beer, particularly in the head, generally indicates significant hop presence.

Smell: Sweetness strikes right up front, all cotton-candi sugar, wreathed through with notes of plum and fig. There's something faintly floral in the aroma as well, but as it is faint, I'm keeping hope alive.

Taste: Right out of the gate, and through the entirety of the tasting process, my hop-sensitive tongue picks up a significant torrent of something floral and spicy, which dominates the entire flavor profile for me start to finish. By the end, I can pick out something resembling a caramel and candi sugar sweetness, and possibly some dark fruits, but for the most part I get only a mouthful of floral-spice hops that also have some citrus along.

Mouthfeel: Extremely sharp with carbonation.

Overall: I won't be picking this one back up. When I want a quad, I'm looking for yeast esters to shine against a backdrop of sweet malt. This doesn't accomplish that at all. It tastes like an attempt to hop up a quad. Back to Abt 12, Rochefort 10, Three Philosophers, Trois Pistoles, and so forth I go.

2.14/5  rDev -47.5%

Sixth Glass
12oz to duvel tulip
10.5% ABV
Best by 12/26/14

A – Opaque murky brown. Can barely make out some sediment and bubbles near the glass wall. Thin but complete layer of khaki head.

S – A lot of alcohol and some slightly sweet dark fruit. The alcohol is potent. Dark cherry, raisin, a bit of leather.

T – Some dark fruit that’s washed away by the alcohol. The alcohol isn’t very sharp, but it’s there. The cherries and raisins are up front (though a fizziness detracts) and then get washed away by alcohol. Very slight characteristic Belgian taste emerges for a second, then a light alcohol taste is the only taste. Finishes out with alcohol and a pinch of dark fruit.

M – A fizziness up front that obscures the taste for a second, I don’t like this. Medium bodied for most of the way through. Alcohol is apparent but not sharp. A semi-wet finish, appropriate for style.

O – Unfortunately this beer has large dings in every major category. I regret buying a four pack to cellar, but will see if the alcohol mellows with age. It ought to, or I also made a small (much smaller) mistake on buying a half case of Parabola; so I’m definitely hopeful. Alcohol was everywhere, almost like someone put brown sugar, cherries, and raisins into some Malibu/tonic. I don’t have much nice to say, so I’ll stop writing.
3, 2, 2, 2.25, 2.25; 2.15.

2.16/5  rDev -47.1%

750 mL bottle into a Duvel tulip. Reviewed from notes.

After an "Old Man and the Sea"-esque struggle, I was finally able to uncork this sucker. Pours ruby, magenta, and it's nearly translucent. 1.5-finger tan head that really lasted, with a creamy consistency. Nice lacing.

Dark fruits in the aroma, with some toffee and brown sugar as well. There's a definitive sour twang as well, with a tart cherry-like smell that becomes more evident as it warms. I'll be damned, but this almost smells like super generic, bottom-of-the-barrel duck sauce, saccharine sweet with a touch of citrus. There's also a slight metallic note at work, though it's not terrible

The taste is very bready, with a ton of biscuit malt. The dark fruits from the aroma come into play, but that bread character totally overwhelms them. Astringent bitterness in the finish, this isn't nearly as sweet as the aroma. Worst of all, there's a tinny, metallic taste that's terribly off-putting.

Mouthfeel is a little overcarbonated, and could stand to be toned down. For a beer this big, it's quite thin.

Given that St. Bernardus is roughly the same price, this is quite a tough sell. An inferior quad, and an unfortunate miss from Boulevard.

2.2/5  rDev -46.1%

I had many friends tell me that "The Sixth Glass" was some outstanding brew and that I needed to try some. So i dropped about $10 on a 4 pack of some on my way home from work. Popped the top and the beer smelled good. Took a swig and let me tell you it was a terrible tasting beer. I should have thrown the whole pack out the window but I figured I'd give it a shot. No matter how many you drink, it's still terrible.

It has some side effects.

1. Gut Busting Diarrhea that gives you very little notice.

2. After 2 at 10.5%, you become the ultimate asshole

3. A 3 day headache that would make a preacher curse.

My advice don't waste your money. I realize it's voted world class but pond water is more tasty! Or hell sewer water!

2.71/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer comes in a rich amber red color with a fluffy white head.

The aroma has bright fresh sugary fruit sweetness. Tart plums, some breadiness, caramel sweetness. Boozy cherries, figs, alcohol comes through.

The flavor attacks aggressively of alcohol throughout. From the top of the back to the back of the throat, there is alcohol burn. There’s a slight candied fruit note, almost a gummy candy flavor, but other than that, alcohol is all I can find.

Booze booze booze. The beer was absolutely dominated by alcohol. It gets even worse as it warms and I had to pour it out. I don’t know if it was infected as it nasted like nail polish and alcohol.

2.71/5  rDev -33.6%

A = brown, cloudy and thick, a little like an unfiltered cider. Head puffs up to about an inch but is thin an dissipates quickly.

S = Figs, apples and an almost soapy alcohol

T = More figs and apples, brown sugar. Very sweet aftertaste with a metallic hint. Alcohol.

M = Not much body, with an astringent feel left behind.

D = Lacks balance between the sweet fruits and the alcohol. Reminds me of watered down raisinjack. I'll finish the bottle but won't buy another.

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%

Tasted 27 August 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a clear dark amber. Despite a very gentle pour, I've got some serious floaties in my glass. One finger of yellowish head, good retention, decent lacing. Not bad, just wish those floaties were back in the bottle.

Smell is delightful quad-essence. Big, sugary, and fruity. Brown sugar and figs dominate, with noticeable alcohol in the back. I'd like a little more yeast, please.

Taste is, well, just not all that good. It has a good side, but the bad side is much too strong to let that nice friendly side shine through. Good side is soft and sweet, though not as deep as I'd like it to be. Bad side is sharply bitter, with the alcohol screaming at me as if this were straight liquor. I know to expect the alcohol taste in high-ABV beers, but this is something else entirely.

Medium body, very sticky, but with really high carbonation. Should a quad be this fizzy? I don't think so. A little odd.

After continuing to sip this, I had to downgrade the taste from a 3. I struggled through this glass, and I don't ever plan to drink it again. Hoping that Boulevard's BBQ is nothing like this (at least, nothing like the bad half). How does a 10% beer come across as THIS alcohol-forward.

2.87/5  rDev -29.7%

Drank a 750 ml bottle from Batch 68256

A-Clear mahagoney with large than head that hangs on.

S-Sweet, malty, raisin, toasted and burnt malt

T-Hoppier than the world class Belgian Quads and unlike them the alcohol is not well hidden.

M-Light for the style. More carbonation and astringency than others.

D-Below average for the style due to the alcohol burn that is balanced better with the real good versions of this style

The appearance and smell are by far the best attributes of this quad. I had big hopes that quickly faded after tasting. Not a bad beer but doesn't match up with some of the Belgian/Netherlands versions.

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Not my favorite from Boulevard.

A: Burnt orangish red with some head and a little lacing.

S: Some fruity spiciniess and lots of alcohol.

T: Not getting much but the alcohol. Can't notice any yeast or balance. A little cherry maybe behind all the alcohol. Wow! I've had some big beers and liked them, but the alcohol wasn't all I could tast.

M: Well carbonated with a lighter body.

D: I didn't make it past the first glass, so that probably speaks for itself.

2.99/5  rDev -26.7%

Reviewed: 12/30/08

The Quadrupel ale presented a dark and slightly cloudy appearance. Almost chocolatey looking. Surprisingly, there was not much aroma with this ale. The taste was chocolatey with hints of a caramel finish. The Sixth Glass seemed very carbonated but kind of heavy with a smooth finish. This is a pretty decent ale I would definitely drink this again.

Poured from 750 ml corked bottle; it presented a caramel, herbs aroma with presence of alcohol, deep dark amber color, frothy tan foam head, medium sweetness and spicy taste (apple cider), thin feel, light medium body, I like the entire series of Smokestack brews from Boulevard but this is just average.

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Big thanks to the kind trader that gave this one away, I was initially tempted to trade for this one based off of the name and label. As time grew on, I grew more and more hesitant to pull this beer out of my cellar. I have fallen in love with aging beers, but the thing is that I hadn't had this one fresh (semi-fresh). I needed to try this one just to see it's roots, shared with treyrab.

Beautiful hazy ruby red with orange tones that lighten up this stunning appearance. Beautiful 2 finger light yellow 2 finger head that remains through out the duration of the beer. Very nice.

The smell is very quad-tacular. Really nice sweet white grqapes stick out the most. A sugar complex is also very noticeable, as is some sweet cherry and some light brown sugar and bannana as well as some pleasing dark red grapes.

Don't know about this one, not on my short list of favorite quads. Tons of rougher tastes that would be better with time. Some prevelant alcohol tastes which really overshadow the other sweeter tastes. Way to hot. I'm serious my mouth lit on fire. Each sips tastes like a St. Bernardus 12 with a shot and a half of cheap vodka. Maybe try and grab another and let it sit for at least three years out of fear.

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Chilled 750 ml C&C bottle poured into a Troegs stemmed tulip. Bottling date is misprinted and rather hard to read, but it appears to indicate July 7, 2011.

Look- Cloudy medium amber with a bit of sediment, despite my best efforts. Big (four+ fingers), craggy, sticky, foamy buttermilk-colored head. Actually, it looks quite a bit like whipped pancake batter. Clings to the sides, leaving a craggy bowl-like meniscus. No lacing once it finally settles, which is expected at this ABV.

Smell- Big fruits- strawberry, grape, apple cider, ripe banana, and bubblegum. Reminds me of gewürztraminer wine, in fact. Spicy/flowery yeast, some booze and strong toffee/caramel malt round it out. Alcohol/flowery character builds as the beer warms and the head falls, making it more boozy and perfume-like, but never too much so. Exceptional!

Taste- Bold flavor, mellow feel. Starts out with strong candied pears, treacle, and summer melon. Toffee, graham cracker, rye whiskey, and sassafras push through before transitioning to lemon zest, fresh crusty bread, and a bit of peppery alcohol. Aftertaste is akin to decent peach schnapps with the faintest hint of bitterness. There are more than a few subtle flavors here that I can't really pin down, but it's delicious and beautifully put together.

Mouthfeel- Full body, mild to moderate carb. Creamy feeling, silky smooth,. Mildly astringent towards the finish, alcohol is definitely present throughout but not offensive. Significant warming, surprisingly clean finish. Drinks like a dessert wine or liqueur.

Overall- Extraordinarily well balanced- not "too" anything, and goes down deceptively easily. There are plenty of big beers around, but it is rare to see one that showcases so many elements so well without seeming chaotic, and man, is it good! I'm planning on going out tomorrow to grab a bottle (or six) for uncorking down the road.

Re-evaluated January 2015. Mediocre at best for a quad. Thin and harsh from a 12 oz bottle. I feel like this has suffered a lot since the brand changed ownership. Ratings adjusted.

3.11/5  rDev -23.8%

12 oz into snifter

A Burnt orange, wispy head.
S Yeast, Candy Sugar, light malt.
T Light malt, a bit of red fruit, hint of candy sugar
M High carbonation, thinner than expected
O This beer is fine, nothing special, but nothing wrong with it. To call it a quad and compare it to Belgians is a joke, but its a fine beer.

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%

S: Cinnamon and clove with a rich bready backbone.

L: Hazy dark burnt orange, off-white head that dissipates to a dusting. Some sediment present.

T: Spicy cinnamon and clove, slight bready malt. Spicy bitterness leading to a quite dry palate. Alcohol slightly present.

M: Medium-high carbonation. Medium bodied.

Meh, very one-noted, missing the dark fruit and dark candy notes.

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A - Cloudy caramel color. Half finger of head. Lots of carbonation. Pretty beer. Not all that much lacing.

S - Sweet fruit. Maltiness. It has a thick smell. Hmmm, kind of not that welcoming. Apples, then sour apples, grapes, white wine (of which I'm not that much of a fan). Smells somewhat like a foot.

T - Sweetness first. The girlfriend said it smells like a foot (I agreed) and now I'm getting the taste of a sweaty gym bag. Lots of carbonation. Alcohol... it is over 10%. Every sip is revealing something new for me--definitely not all pleasant tastes.

O - I'm not going to be finishing this one. I knew that this style was not my favorite but this really is not as wonderful as I thought it might be. A few sips made me think "oh ok maybe this is pretty good." However the bitterness and imaging have turned me off.

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Disappointing. Not the best attempt at Belgian style strong ale. I could barely taste the Belgian yeast used in bottle conditioning.
-Rich hazy burnt orange color, almost mahogany, two fingers of beige head
-Aroma of dried fruit, perhaps raisin and cherry with a hint of date
-A twing of spice
-Alcohol anyone? I've had triples with higher content and less alcohol taste
-Nice feel in the mouth. Smooth, malty and sweet.
-Not a bad beer by any means, just not what I was expecting. With a name like Quadruple, you have to bring it! This beer didn't have that nice Belgian greeting you get with the first mouthful.
-Many of my friends can't stomach most of the beer I like and they all enjoyed this. That should tell you something.

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

25.4 fl oz brown champagne bottle, caged & corked. Batch # 611175, best before 06/2013.

Served in a tulip.

Rustic copper in color with a mahogany hue. Carbonation-filled off-white head that fades to a broken sheet after a moment. A few traces of spotted lacing, but not much strength.

Aged, vinous fruit aromas, especially fig and plum. The aroma boasts a hefty dose of Belgian candy sweetness that is only mildly subdued by a brief must. The alcohol presence is bland, yet intense; similar to a cheap whiskey.

Intensely sweet from the onset. The sweetness is primarily comprised of vanilla and Belgian candy sugar. Fig, raisin, plum with very mild notes of orange peel. The alcohol presence is bulky and flat; rubbing alcohol. An intense amount of carbonation cuts the sweetness and allows a stiff, toasted out aftertaste.

Full bodied; a pretty intense level of carbonation, but in line for the style. Spots of slickness on account of the alcohol presence.

A pretty big Quadrupel with some refinement issues.

3.21/5  rDev -21.3%

The Dooper shared this one with me a week back. We had this one and the Boubon Barrel Quad back to back. Cheers for the cool beer night man!

From a bottle into a mini-snifter
Best by 7 October 2012

APPEARANCE: Pours out dark auburn and yields a one finger, medium looking, cream white head with excellent retention. Cloudy with piles of carbonation evident. A good foam cap remains leaving some nice lacing down the sides of the glass.

SMELL: Caramel and toasted malts and some mild, spicy yeast notes. Some dried dark fruits in there as well. A touch of floral hops for good measure. Medium strength nose.

TASTE: Medium strength flavors as well. Toasted and caramel malts, toffee, and some spicy yeast qualities again. Bread in there, alongside some dark fruits notes. Mild but lingering aftertaste is slightly spicy, caramely sweet, with some bitter hop flavors and a touch of booze. This is nicely balanced, but unfortunately a little too mild to stand out.

PALATE: Medium body and medium-high levels of carbonation. Creamy on the palate, goes down smoooth and finishes slightly dry. Some spicy alcohol at the finish.

OVERALL: This is a good beer, but the nose and flavors are a little too mild compared to its Belgian cousins. It's lacking that bold spiciness as well. Good stuff, but can't compete with the homeland. Cheers again for sharing Dr. Doops.

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured 12oz bottle into Westy 12 glass.

A- Pours clear, darker orange in color. Big one finger white head. Quickly down to a very thin cap.

S- Sweet smelling. A little hoppy smell to it. Dark fruits mostly though. Raisins are picked up. A little boozy too.

T- Follows the nose pretty close. Dark fruit flavors throughout, however not as dominant as you'd like. Get some hop flavors poking through to. Hotter than other quads I've had, especially as it warms.

M- Medium body, but closer to the lighter side. Moderate carbonation. Boozy in the mouth.

D- Compared to the few other quads I've had, this one fell way behind. The dark fruits weren't as strong and drank a little bitter. Doubt I'll have another one... unless they are giving them away. lol

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

Murky amber/mahogany she be in the ol' Corsendonk tulip, anything but an easy pour produces a massive foamy tan head - but no lacing to speak of. Sweet dried dark fruits in the aroma.

The quaff is not that impressive, a semi-boozy blast of a cloying cherry syrup. No Belgian yeast, just an over carbonated brew that doesn't drink that well. A mediocre stab at the Belgian dark ale, I won't be after any more of this one.

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

I poured a bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance- Poured a cloudy amber color with a thick white head that lingered for a very long time. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Yeast and raisin.

Taste- Spices and raisin with a bit of alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and creamy. Nice carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall- Somewhat enjoyable. I don't think I will buy it again. Not bad, just not for me.

3.27/5  rDev -19.9%

Aroma - Grape like ester. Mild alcohol. Malt sweetness. Almost reminds me of a sweet wine.

Appearance - Light brown with red hue. Small head on pour that dissipated to nothing. No lacing. Nice color.

Flavor - Malt sweetness over alcohol. The pleasant ester aroma doesn't come through in the flavor. Enough bitterness not to be cloying.

Mouth Feel - Medium-light body. High carbonation. Mild alcohol; not overpowering.

Overall Impression - Mediocre Quad. Nice color. Okay aroma. Very drinkable, but with other beers available I probably won't buy again.

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

During the holiday's I've been drinking nothing but Belgians and this was today's beer. This beer has a sexy apperance, but is lacking in mouthfeel and taste. It has a wonderful head and is a very nice dark ruby, but something was missing when I tasted it.

3.31/5  rDev -18.9%

A: pour with a solid 3 fingers of head. Copper color. Light for a quad

S: lots of vinegar. Some good figs/grapes.

T: strong figs and some red grape taste. Stinger vinegar taste than I like. Not bad but doesn't blow me away.

M: the mouthfeel completely depends on the pour. Can be overly carbonation or too sryupy. Overall the mouthfeel can be done

D: overall not the greatest example of the quad. Still an enjoyable drink.

The Sixth Glass from Boulevard Brewing Co.