The Sixth Glass - Boulevard Brewing Co.

The Sixth GlassThe Sixth Glass

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-15-2007

”Do you know what dwells in a glass?” asks Ole, in Hans Christian Andersen's The Watchman of the Tower. Better known for stories such as The Little Mermaid, Andersen wrote this short, cautionary tale for a somewhat older audience. Our quadrupel ale, also meant for the mature connoisseur, is a deep and mysterious libation, dark auburn and full-bodied, its sweetness deceptive. As Ole describes the glasses in turn, their contents become more ominous until, in the sixth glass...

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Sixth Glass Alström Bros

Epic Beer in my eyes. Here goes the praise.

A = Nice amber with perfect head to it about 1/2 inch of small bubbled light tan

S = A sweet smell hits first then the light malt scent

T = off the charts great. has a perfect sweetness from that caramel taste. then the malt gets you and its not dank at all just perfect

M = perfect carbonation, you can tell its got small carb bubbles and really make for a perfect cling and sweetness gives way a clean finish

I love this beer, Rochefort 8,10 and Sixth Glass Quad..my tops!!!

the sixth glass quadrupel from smokestack. Originally had in 750mL, multiple re-reviews in 12oz bottles.

Tried this one first on vacation in TX at my mom's house. Surprised Boulevard makes it this far south... but then again, I'm not surprised, it's a great brewery. I was truly ecstatic tho when I saw they had a smokestack series at the local supermarket (although this was the only one).. and not only that, it was one of the ones I hadn't tried yet!

Life is good, that's why they make these beers... so you don't forget!

Absolutely beautiful brew, clear copper-amber, many rising bubbles, and a full, thick, lasting head with ample lacing that slides down the glass to rejoin the head accents this fantastic beer creation.

Raisins, dark fruits, plums, cherries, mild hops, yeast and sweet malts all shine through on this very spicy smelling, wonderful brew. At this ABV, there's no covering up a slight scent of alcohol, but it seems to only enhance in this case. FABULOUS.

Tastes much like the smell, fabulously delicious and complex as any beer I've ever had. All the dark fruits are hinted at, especially raisins, cherries and figs, with a touch of delicious apple. The spices stand out equally, and spicy it is. Pepper is definitely present, as are a whole bunch more sweet and spicy flavors. There's also a noticeable flavor of delicious yeastiness, a very mild alcohol flavor (faint for such a strong beer), and some sweet breaded malts and just a touch of hops, perfectly balanced. The sweet raisiny spiciness lingers oh so nicely with every sip.

Mouthfeel is thick, rich, and wonderful; nothing short of a work of art. A warm feeling of satisfaction permeates the gullet as this strong brew works its magic. The perfect fruity aftertaste finishes it off.

Note: Mouthfeel probably got a little better as it warmed, but overall this brew showed almost equal character and enjoyability over the full range of temperatures, which for me were from cold refrigeration temperature upon opening (pouring into a snifter) to the full on room temperature warmness upon finishing my last sip of the 750 mL bottle almost two hours later. This hasn't changed over multiple sessions of re-reviewing this beer.

Drinkability is absolutely perfect. Few beers meet such a high standard in any style, any country. America SHINES on this one. I challenge any foreign country to top this beer.

EDIT: upon re-review multiple times, I'm upping my rating on this one to a perfect FIVE. I've done enough reviews that I know that this one is as close to perfect as it's likely to get, and I have never, ever liked a beer more than this one. If something else winds up beating it, I'll change my review back to the original 4.85 it was on the first go-round. Even on my fifth or sixth re-visitation of this brew, I still absolutely love it every time. This is my favorite smokestack, favorite quad, and remains my highest rated beer for good reason.

The Sixth Glass from Boulevard Brewing Co.