The Sixth Glass - Boulevard Brewing Co.

The Sixth GlassThe Sixth Glass

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.50% ABV

”Do you know what dwells in a glass?” asks Ole, in Hans Christian Andersen's The Watchman of the Tower. Better known for stories such as The Little Mermaid, Andersen wrote this short, cautionary tale for a somewhat older audience. Our quadrupel ale, also meant for the mature connoisseur, is a deep and mysterious libation, dark auburn and full-bodied, its sweetness deceptive. As Ole describes the glasses in turn, their contents become more ominous until, in the sixth glass...

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-15-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Sixth Glass Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

Tasted 27 August 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a clear dark amber. Despite a very gentle pour, I've got some serious floaties in my glass. One finger of yellowish head, good retention, decent lacing. Not bad, just wish those floaties were back in the bottle.

Smell is delightful quad-essence. Big, sugary, and fruity. Brown sugar and figs dominate, with noticeable alcohol in the back. I'd like a little more yeast, please.

Taste is, well, just not all that good. It has a good side, but the bad side is much too strong to let that nice friendly side shine through. Good side is soft and sweet, though not as deep as I'd like it to be. Bad side is sharply bitter, with the alcohol screaming at me as if this were straight liquor. I know to expect the alcohol taste in high-ABV beers, but this is something else entirely.

Medium body, very sticky, but with really high carbonation. Should a quad be this fizzy? I don't think so. A little odd.

After continuing to sip this, I had to downgrade the taste from a 3. I struggled through this glass, and I don't ever plan to drink it again. Hoping that Boulevard's BBQ is nothing like this (at least, nothing like the bad half). How does a 10% beer come across as THIS alcohol-forward.

2.83/5  rDev -32%

Not my favorite from Boulevard.

A: Burnt orangish red with some head and a little lacing.

S: Some fruity spiciniess and lots of alcohol.

T: Not getting much but the alcohol. Can't notice any yeast or balance. A little cherry maybe behind all the alcohol. Wow! I've had some big beers and liked them, but the alcohol wasn't all I could tast.

M: Well carbonated with a lighter body.

D: I didn't make it past the first glass, so that probably speaks for itself.

2.95/5  rDev -29.1%

Big thanks to the kind trader that gave this one away, I was initially tempted to trade for this one based off of the name and label. As time grew on, I grew more and more hesitant to pull this beer out of my cellar. I have fallen in love with aging beers, but the thing is that I hadn't had this one fresh (semi-fresh). I needed to try this one just to see it's roots, shared with treyrab.

Beautiful hazy ruby red with orange tones that lighten up this stunning appearance. Beautiful 2 finger light yellow 2 finger head that remains through out the duration of the beer. Very nice.

The smell is very quad-tacular. Really nice sweet white grqapes stick out the most. A sugar complex is also very noticeable, as is some sweet cherry and some light brown sugar and bannana as well as some pleasing dark red grapes.

Don't know about this one, not on my short list of favorite quads. Tons of rougher tastes that would be better with time. Some prevelant alcohol tastes which really overshadow the other sweeter tastes. Way to hot. I'm serious my mouth lit on fire. Each sips tastes like a St. Bernardus 12 with a shot and a half of cheap vodka. Maybe try and grab another and let it sit for at least three years out of fear.

Poured from 750 ml corked bottle; it presented a caramel, herbs aroma with presence of alcohol, deep dark amber color, frothy tan foam head, medium sweetness and spicy taste (apple cider), thin feel, light medium body, I like the entire series of Smokestack brews from Boulevard but this is just average.

The Sixth Glass from Boulevard Brewing Co.