The Sixth Glass - Boulevard Brewing Co.

The Sixth GlassThe Sixth Glass

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-15-2007

”Do you know what dwells in a glass?” asks Ole, in Hans Christian Andersen's The Watchman of the Tower. Better known for stories such as The Little Mermaid, Andersen wrote this short, cautionary tale for a somewhat older audience. Our quadrupel ale, also meant for the mature connoisseur, is a deep and mysterious libation, dark auburn and full-bodied, its sweetness deceptive. As Ole describes the glasses in turn, their contents become more ominous until, in the sixth glass...

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,399 | Reviews: 731

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.84/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice. The beer is a light brown color with amber highlights. A little lighter than I usually expect from a quad, but I like that. When beers get too dark they all look the same to me. Nice head, not too puffy. Decent retention, little to no lacing.

S - I love the smell of quads. From this one I'm mostly picking up yeasty aromas with slight bits of dark fruit.

T - Dark fruit dominates. The sweetness I'm picking up is something like raisin or fig, although not obviously so. I'm also picking up something like the funkiness from the saison that I'm used to tasting. Nice yeast characteristics. There is something of a lingering sour funk to it that I'm not a huge fan of. Just a touch of alcohol on the back end. The 10.5% is very well hidden.

M - Medium full bodied. Less carbonation than I would expect. Bone dry. The dryness seems to come on strong, then fade, then return as the beer warms.

O - I liked the beer, but for the Quad price point I need to love it. I'm already paying premium for a treat, so I'll pay a buck or two more for St. Bernardus.

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance:
Dark murky brown with plenty of reddish tones, great carbonation at the bottom of the glass. The head is light tan, bubbly and thick but not creamy. Very light lacing.
Smell:
Phenolic aromas are strong, spices and dark fruits are well represented in the aroma but not overpowering. Mild apple and oranges zest also come through.
Taste:
The hits thing you taste is the slight smoked dark fruits-yep you read that right smoked dark fruits, followed by the overall sweetness and then a mild bitterness as you swallow. I do taste some apricot and mild peaches around the center of my mouth. Prunes and a mild brown sugar flavor come out as it warms up.
Mouthfeel:
This is a medium to full bodied ale and it really coats your mouth with a wonderful feeling and flavor.
Overall:
This is what I would expect from a quad and this quad is one of the many great quads out there. You must try this one.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
The Sixth Glass from Boulevard Brewing Co.