Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

The Sixth Glass - Boulevard Brewing Co.

The Sixth GlassThe Sixth Glass

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-15-2007

”Do you know what dwells in a glass?” asks Ole, in Hans Christian Andersen's The Watchman of the Tower. Better known for stories such as The Little Mermaid, Andersen wrote this short, cautionary tale for a somewhat older audience. Our quadrupel ale, also meant for the mature connoisseur, is a deep and mysterious libation, dark auburn and full-bodied, its sweetness deceptive. As Ole describes the glasses in turn, their contents become more ominous until, in the sixth glass...

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Sixth Glass Alström Bros
Reviews: 752 | Hads: 2,598
3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

I am afraid I set myself up for disappointment on this one. I was hoping to have an experience similar to a La trappe, but it wasnt there. The color is amazing, smell wasn't horrible either. My biggest dissappoinment was in the flavor and mouthfeel, they are almost inter-twined for me on this. It didn't have the smooth and rich feel I was expecting and that brought along a kind of harsh flavor for me. I am not sad I tried it but it will not make it into the regular line up.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

I poured this 750 ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: hazy dark cherry wood color, abundant, fizzy, yellowish cream colored head falls into a persistent cap, lacing is good.

S: molasses, fermented apples, nutmeg, clove, alcohol, cherries.

T: the clove, nutmeg, and apples hit up front, the sour cherries and molasses hit in the middle, and the finish features a long alcohol burn. The hops form a subtle floral backdrop that acts like a canvas for the other flavors..

M: medium-heavy weight, adequate carbonation, velvety mouthfeel.

D: Tastes like a liquid mincemeat pie! Very tasty.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from the bottle into a wine goblet

Appearance: Looks awesome. Hazy amber brown. Thick foamy cream colored head. A little more than a finger's worth with great retention. Lots of carbonation. Tons of lacing. I wish all beers looked like this

Smell: Dried dark fruits. Sweet raisins. Sugary caramel. Maybe some figs. Yeast and booze (and lots of it)

Taste: Follows the nose for the most part. Lots of Belgian yeast character. Slightly tart plums. Caramel malts. As it warms it gets notes of apples. Warming booziness

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and rich. Lots of character. Crisp carbonation

Overall: A nice quad for sure. Not an all the time beer or an all the time style but worth trying

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Purchased from Hyde Park Market, 10.99.

A: Poured hazy orange with a nice fluffy off white head. Thin head stayed throughout, very nice.

S: Dark fruits, raisins, spicy, really quite nice. I was not expecting so much. Straight from the pop of the cork; a rush of aromas. Booze.

T: Sweet, candy sugar. Dark fruits and spice again in the flavor. Good maltiness as well.

M: Very smooth. From what I have read, I thought it was going to be more zesty, but it is pretty smooth drinking and going down. Medium body.

D: A very good quad. I can not find any faults really. One I will be going back to many times I am sure.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured cold into a libby stout glass.
Look = 4.25 For some reason this bottled gushed big time when I opened it. Pours a cloudy amber with red highlights, 1.5 fingers of light brown head that fades to a ring. Medium lace.
Aroma = 4.25 Sweet caramel malts, dark fruits, cherry, figs, boozy.
Taste = 4.0 Follows the nose for the most part, sweet caramel highlighted with cherry and fig notes. Booze comes out more and more as it warms.
Feel = 3.75 Medium bodied with light to medium carbonation, a little fizzy, clean finish.
Drinkability = 3.75 10.5% ABV comes out as boozy, detracts for drinkability a little.
Overall = 4.0375 Very tasty, complex and interesting Quad here.

Poured a very light colour for a quad. This is only my second or third quad, but I know the colour is supposed to be darker. It's sort of a yellowish red. The head was enormous for such a high-alcohol beer. I'm not sure how it was possible. I had trouble pouring it gently enough to get a decent amount of liquid in my glass without it foaming over. I'm fast becoming a fan of quads. Perfect for someone who likes the high alcohol and intense flavour of trippels, but dislikes coriander. This one is pretty good, but it is not as good as the last one I had, The Reverend. Sorry to get so personal in my reviews, but I like to give as useful a review as possible by giving my background in the style. This one is just a bit too bitter and dry for a quad. It tastes like it's been dry-hopped. From what I've read, I don't feel like this is the idea of a quad. The last quad I had was much better balanced. This one is quite good as well, but not at the same level. A really good quad doesn't need as much spicing as this one has, in my opinion, but then again my opinion is truly a humble one. I'm a total noob to the style. So, take that with a grain of salt.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. bottle with a best by date of 5/18/14....so yeah, I'd say it's still good >_> Poured into chalice.

A: Perfect Quad color. Steeped black tea color (tawny, clear auburn) with a one-finger tan head. Retention and lacing is as expected.

S: Smell is quite enticing to say the lease. Loads of Belgian-style yeast, brown sugar, caramel, lots of fruity esters.

T: Sweet, dark fruits at the beginning, reminiscent of grape skin and black cherries. Bit of spice, pepper and yeast. Candy sugar and more fruity esters near the end.

M: Fizzy and medium-bodied. 10.5%? Doesn't taste anywhere near that. It's a sipper, but very easy to drink.

O: Honestly, the taste wasn't as assertive as I expect in a Quad. It definitely has plenty of good quad qualities, but it seems to be missing just a little something to put it on the same level as something like a Rochefort 10 or St. Bernardus.

Don't get me wrong, though, this is still one of the best American quads I've ever had. If you can't find the two I've mentioned or don't want to drop $8 or $13 (respectively) for a single bottle of the aforementioned, then go ahead and grab this.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Nice orange, brown, cider color. Decent white head that laces decently.

S - White fruits. Grapes, raisins, peach, some citrus. Hops and breadiness, and a nice light malt backbone of candied fruit.

T - Great taste. Light and airy, filled with light fruits, somewhat yeasty but counterbalanced really well by the candied fruit maltiness.

M - Medium bodied, pretty dry. Carbonation is spot-on.

D - Would get this again. One of the best Quads I've had in a long time. Very impressed.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Big, bold, mildly cloudy orangey/caramel amber. Frothy, bubbly white-orange head with great retention.

S: Belgian yeasts, bready malts, citrus (apples, pears, grapefruit). Short caramel/molasses aroma escapes. Lots of fruit and bread.

T/M: Utterly smooth flavors of apples and bread on the initial sip. Complex flavors of raisins, bananas, pears along with spice, Belgian yeast and alcohol. Malty, rich, smooth mouthfeel. sticky and milky on the palate. Medium carbonation with medium sized body. Caramel and honey flavors follow into the aftertaste.

D: A great quad. Typically not my style but this is purely delicious.

4.19/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is one of Boulevard's very best offerings. Very smooth, highly drinkable, and you won't have any idea it's 10.5% ABV until you've enjoyed most of the bottle. Not quite as strong or full-flavored as some quadrupels but a great way to introduce people to the style. Great to share with friends.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Batch 68100.

Pours a hazy deep amber. A thick frothy tan head gently falls to a thin cap. Plentiful carbonation is apparent in loads of tiny bubbles rising to the surface. No lace.
Aroma is moderate to heavy. Sweet, dark. Lightly floral, banana, spicy and slightly alcoholic.
Taste is sweet with prominent alcohol. Lots of spice, light bread note. A light bitterness comes through to be overpowered by spice and slightly sticky malt in the finish.
Fairly light body and dry, with alcoholic astringency and warmth.

The alcohol is overwhelming while cool, but even when it warms I wish the alcohol was a bit less forward. More retention on the head would help but overall, nicely complex and enjoyable, a very nice sipping beer.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep red, garnet hue with a bubbly, thin head. Smells of raisins and other earthy fruits with a hint of oak. Tastes the same. The taste was of deep fruit (prunes,etc) but with a hint of chocolate. The appearance was the beast part of the beer, it was beautiful. It's a very strong beer, and im usually not a fan of quadrupel Belgians but this one was fantastic. The subtle fruit notes and dash of chocolate made for a great flavor. Mouthfeel was crisp.

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle purchased as part of a 2012 Boulevard sampler pack. A cool little bottle with the best by date rubbed off. Poured straight down the middle into a Blind Tiger Brewery snifter after letting the beer warm up a bit.

Appearance: Poured a huge and expansive two and a half fingers of khaki colored head. It’s a very creamy, sturdy looking head with a few big bubbles in the center that stick around for awhile. A light cherry mahogany body that is slightly cloudy. Nice frothy lacing coats the glass.

Smell: Old cherries, sticky dates, cinnamon, bit of ginger, bubblegum, sweet alcohol, rum and spice cake. It’s a big warming aroma that draws you in but invites caution.

Taste: A beer with plenty going on. Sweet cherries, spicy esters, cinnamon and ginger followed by plenty of sweet dates, prunes, and raisins. Fragrant and perfume like alcohol rounded out by some sweet bubblegum. The beer finishes with a moist, nutty breadiness.

Mouthfeel: A very warming beer. Not boozy, but warming. While the carbonation is about in the middle and the feel is certainly creamy I expected something a little denser. Finishes dry which really brings out the spice notes.

Overall: A perfect beer to warm up with while it’s14 degrees outside. Easy to see why as it’s very sweet with a huge spice presence and fragrant alcohol. The prominent alcohol in the nose left an odd presence but I really enjoyed it in the taste. I would also like to stress that this is one of those beer that you should just drink at cellar temp or if anything chilled. In only got better as it warmed. Overall, while it’s not up there with the world class quads I still highly recommend it.

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Mildly aggressive pour yields 1.5" of thick, billowy, off-white head. Settles with minimal lacing. Held to light the beer is a brilliant, deep amber, nearly see through until sediment poured in and then cloudy after. Smell is full of dates, raisins and alcohol. The taste is malty sweetness up front with the previously mentioned dates and raisins, joined by a sour cherry presence. The finish is nice and dry with a lot of alcohol. Carbonation is medium to high serving to lighten the body and mouthfeel just a bit. As it warms up the cherries in the front end and the alcohol on the back end are even more apparent.
This is a very nice, easy drinking 10.5% quad. Probably wouldn't drink more than one in a sitting but it makes for a great winter-weekday-evening sipper!

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle purchased August 2011 into a pint glass. Bottle stamped - "best by July 2013". Nice looking brownish-orange, hazy, with a 2 finger tan head that has light brown streaking across the top. Dissipates slowly with moderate lacing.

Smells sweet, fruity and malty.

Strong taste - malt, and sweetness, with an alcohol warmth at the end. Caramel.

Feels full and smooth, creamy going down and in the mouth.

Overall - quads are not my favorite style and I tend to not like my beer tasting too much like alcohol, but I am nitpicking. Despite really tasting the abv this is a top notch beer that is tasty and smooth and looks pretty in the glass.

1.95/5  rDev -52.2%

12 oz bottle, poured into a wide-mouth snifter at approximately 50 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange-amber, and forms a thick orange head with good retention and lacing. I'm hesitant right away, because I've found orange in the color of a beer, particularly in the head, generally indicates significant hop presence.

Smell: Sweetness strikes right up front, all cotton-candi sugar, wreathed through with notes of plum and fig. There's something faintly floral in the aroma as well, but as it is faint, I'm keeping hope alive.

Taste: Right out of the gate, and through the entirety of the tasting process, my hop-sensitive tongue picks up a significant torrent of something floral and spicy, which dominates the entire flavor profile for me start to finish. By the end, I can pick out something resembling a caramel and candi sugar sweetness, and possibly some dark fruits, but for the most part I get only a mouthful of floral-spice hops that also have some citrus along.

Mouthfeel: Extremely sharp with carbonation.

Overall: I won't be picking this one back up. When I want a quad, I'm looking for yeast esters to shine against a backdrop of sweet malt. This doesn't accomplish that at all. It tastes like an attempt to hop up a quad. Back to Abt 12, Rochefort 10, Three Philosophers, Trois Pistoles, and so forth I go.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a bottle out of the newly available 4 packs in MA.

The appearance is light in my eyes. Copper auburn brown is how I'd describe it. I guess i think of quads as generally being darker than this. Nice lacing.

Smell is dead on with dark candied stone fruits, malt, and caramel. Heavenly.

The taste is solid although not as world class as I think some give it credit for. Maleness hits you right away with a somewhat chewy bread pudding note that follows and finally a rush of carbonation finishes you off. Not bad.

3.61/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle poured into a goblet. Color: light brown. A little to sweet for me and lacking the complexity I look for in the style. Yet, still a good American version of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Got this as an amazing extra in a trade with wnoble. Pours a murky bownish-reddish-orange with a huge head which never got below a half finger of off white. Lacing was lasting but thinner. Nose was dark fruit, some alcohol and yeast, grapefruit and spices. Taste was complex and very tasty - starting with dark fruit, moving to sweet cinnamon, grapes and dates with notes of chocolate and a wonderful interplay with sweet and bitter and alcohol warming at the end. Mouthfeel is fairly heavy, almost chewy and well carbonated. Alcohol is whew - there, in feel and in effect. Definitely a sipper. Liked this a lot and can imagine it would be even more wonderful if I had the discipline to have cellered this longer. Try this!

4.82/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a smaller smokestack 12 oz. bottle into a smokestack snifter.

Poured an opaque blood orange - burgundy color with a cream head that was rather large at first, shrinking to a finger width within minutes. Moderate lacing down the sides of the glass.

The aromas when pouring are largely cherry/sugar/dried fig based. Hardly any hop bitterness is present. Absolutely divine. Might be my favorite beer of all time. My, how my taste has changed over the last two years.

Mouth-feel is great - a little thick and sugary.

Drinkability is incredible for such a boozy beer. I could pound this back quite easily. So delicious.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Really nice deep red color, beautiful creamy head which had great retention

S: Really Aromatic, a lot of sweet spices as you might expect, like clove and nutmeg. I also get a lot of banana and biscuits.

T: The spices and banana come through quite a bit along with some vanilla and just has a beautiful sweetness which you would expect from the style. A lot of complexity between the flavors. Nice warmth from the alcohol

M: I would say perfect carbonation, nice body and very smooth

O: Awesome beer. Highly recommend. First time trying this from Boulevard and I would definitely buy again. I am very impressed.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

Big thanks to AlCaponeJunior for this one.

Poured into a tulip glass this beer has a light copperish color with a really nice red tinge on the edges when held up to the light. Has a light tan head, that was 1.5 fingers high. Left a light lacing on the glass throughout sipping it. Really like the smell on this one. Some dark brown sugar, dark fruits like plum and a great smell of sourdough bread. Taste follows suit. Balance is great in this beer. The sweetness is not overwhelming at all. Plenty of fruit and spice, and bready yeast are there. Carbonation is well tuned to keep this 10.5% beer fairly light. This is my first Boulevard beer, but it certainly won't be my last based on the quality of this beer.

3.86/5  rDev -5.4%

Picked up an extra bottle to cellar so I'm cracking one with about year on it.

Poured into a Portsmouth tulip an amber with a hint of garnet - a frothy light tan head slowly deflates - very nice given the abv.

The nose is slightly estery with sweet grain and a hint of darker fruits.

Dry caramel at first, followed by creamy fruits, raisins, plum, some light spice, and a touch of bubblegum alcohol and toastiness in the finish.

Tingly carbonation and a thin/medium body.

I enjoyed this beer much more the first time I had it - it seems much thinner than I remember - I think quad I think syrupy fruits. Definitely some of my all-time favorite bottle art, though.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 12oz to a Tulip

A- dark reddish orange w/ floaties, 3/4" khaki head

S- dark fruit, brown sugar, grapes, bubblegum, toffee, slittly boozy

T- follows the nose, except the booze is more apparent and there's acidic after taste

M- medium body, crisp carbonation, alcohol heat

O- A pretty good brew. Sadly there's rochforte 10 & st. B 12 to compare it to, and it does not stack up. The smell is nice and the brown sugar is a plus, but it's way to boozy. IMO the way a brewery can hide this is a main staple when deciding on the quality of it. It's decent but i wont be buying it again.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

A: More red and glowing than a typical quad. Still brownish orange with dark fruit notes and a substantial off white head that hangs out all day.

S: Banana, cloves, kiwi, pickled yams, honey, cinnamon. Could be more aromatic.

T: Well balanced and blended combination of traditional belgian yeast fruit esters with a light body and amply carbonation that further contribute to the lightness. Some faintly chewy candy on the end.

M: Full up front, carbonation crashing authoritatively midway, gentle finish of different fruits playing their parts staccato. A little dry thereafter (-)

O: Priced right, not super drinkable but an excellent dinner beer to have on the reg.

The Sixth Glass from Boulevard Brewing Co.