Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

to view more.
Ratings: 2,601 | Reviews: 794
4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Really enjoying this one. Does it come in less than 750ml? My wife tasted it and gave the rest to me. Holy snikeys, I'm in for it. Again, smaller sizes would make it more likely to buy again. Anyway... coppery with nice head and lacing. Citrusy nose, complex hop signature and earthy finish that remind me of some oak aged ales. Will check in later...

3.94/5  rDev -0.5%

I miss this beer. I hope that Boulevard brings it back some day. Delicious malt structure balanced out with some serious hops. I was not usually a malty IPA fan but this was one of the turning points for that. The Calling is pretty amazing though. Cheers

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

A - Pours a dark honey color with a smaller head than expected.
S - Piney and subtle citrus.
T - Some caramel and apricot flavor in there.
M - Medium body and carbonation.
O - Boulevard continues to be a winner for me, I've liked everything I've tasted from them. I'll have another of these real soon.

3.24/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L: Hazy brown, much darker than I expected. Thick, light brown head with staying power.
S: Fruit, pine, toffee
T&F: Dark roasted malt, a bit of alcohol heat. Bitterness is not really sharp but lingers at the back of the throat.
O: Tamer than I expected for an IPA.

Edit: Saw the "best by" date of 1/2015 after I finished the bottle, this deserves another try.

3.66/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Deep amber in color with a murky appearance. There's a good inch of densely packed beige head resting on top. Heavy lacing is on my glass. Aroma of citrus hops and cereal grains is prominent. The flavor is a deep citrus burn comparable to an orange that is held in check by some light cereal grains. On the fade you get a nice citrus hop burn. The mouth is fairly thick,creamy, and a bit chalky.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle from 4 pack, best by 7/25/15, poured into a tulip glass

A - A murky amber orange with some sediment, huge carbo release, 3 finger fluffy white head.

S - Huge waft of ctirus when opening the bottle, slightly more muted in the glass due to the head. Some caramel malt notes as well.

T- Interesting mix. Follows the nose, the pine appears, and there is some mint like qualities. Malt takes over as it warms. Almost begins to taste English IPA like.

M - Carbonation medium to below medium as it warms, gets a touch sticky later.

O - A tasty DIPA. I imagine this will dissapoint some of hop heads due to lack of hop-ness in the taste, but I would recommend it.

4.49/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pretty good IPA, not to hoppy with a citrus after taste

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy deep orange-brown hue, with a ton of sticky lacing on the glass. One of the best lacings I've seen on a beer.

Smell: The hops are upfront on the nose, giving off pine, resin, and woody scents. There's also some hints of floral hops but it's mostly pine and resin. Hint of toffee on the nose.

Taste: This is where things get interesting with this beer. It's got a huge caramel backbone, almost toffee-like. The hops aren't in-your-face bitter; they impart flavors of pine and resin and that woodsy, earthy flavor. As the beer warms, I was getting flavors of orange too - but it almost tastes like orange that was cooked on the barbecue and allowed to caramelize. The balance here between sweet caramel and toffee-like malts and the hops is impressive. It's such a malty DIPA that I understand why this community hasn't rated this one super high.

Feel: More than medium bodied, but less than full. Sticky, oily mouthfeel. Some carbonation. Long finish.

Overall: A balanced DIPA with a huge malt backbone. If you want a DIPA with more balance than in-your-face hoppiness, this sipper is for you.

4.84/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite DIPA's Way too drinkable

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

looks great, nice amber color. good couple inches of head, good lacing. not a strong smell, sweet citrusy aroma. tastes the way it smells, very pleasant. feels good, very good after taste. makes you want to drink more. very good!

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I love this beer. Poured into tulip glass. 2 finger head with nice lacing.

Cloudy dark amber color. Hoppy yumminess. Hints of citrus including grapefruit but not overwhelming.

I seem to love Boulevard beers, and this was no exception.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a Boulevard Brewing tulip

A: Pours hazy deep reddish orange amber with a frothy light tan head that hangs around and laces well.

S: Sweet caramel malt, a little dankness, some fruitiness, and citrus and pine hops.

T: Big hop hit up front, citrus, grapefruit, tangerine, some fruitiness, maybe even a bit tropical, apricot, pineapple, light mango, a little pine, backed with big caramel toffee malt sweetness.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation, very smooth.

O: Not a super fresh bottle but well with in it's best by date, and I gotta say, it's aged quite well. I've had it before where it starts with a big grapefruit punch in the face, but the time seems to have mellowed it quite nicely making the other flavors come out. Love this one!

3.74/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Smooth high ABV IPA with good use of flavoring hops which is what I like in my IPAs.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Webby egg-tan stiff head over cherry amber body. 4
Children’s Bayer nose with grass, resin, and maraschino. 4
Yellow Danish with stone fruit filling then orange rind and a twinkle of citrus juice. 3.75
Pine sap finish and powdery bitter linger.
Medium, creamy, slight cling. 4

-- Firm hoppiness with flashes of brightness, but I wonder if it’s lost a step: how quickly do Missouri IPAs move off the shelf of a Paramus wine shop? Smooth and balanced overall, but by reputation I was hoping for more from this one. 4

4.78/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Yum. Excellent finish that isn't too bitter. Mugs up!

2.92/5  rDev -26.3%

I love the smack-you-in-the-tongue bitterness typical in an IPA.

A: Amber, bottle conditioned chunky. I prefer my commercial beers filtered, or the sediment to pack tightly.

S: I am excited. This has outstanding aroma. Big citrus aroma. Can't wait to dive in.

T: I'm waiting for it.... still waiting. It's underwhelming. My tongue isn't turning over. Mild flavor. Crap.

M: Carbonation is excellent. Head keeps buildling as it sits. Wanting that lingering bitterness though.

O: Just wasted $10 on a 4 pack. Wouldn't recommend unless you like your IPAs bite-less.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

cloudy orang with off quickly disspating white head, leaves moderate lacing on glass. Smell of pine and nutty malt. Tastes nutty with pine and slight citrus, well balanced with excellent bitters but pronounce malt. Good carbonation and IPA nip.

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a single of this in Totowa last week, having never had this before. I loved the other beers in Boulevard's Smokestack series and this picked up right where those left off, in terms of the depth and quality of the line. Even though IPA's are a dime a dozen these days, this one wasn't like anything that I've had as the hops were recessed enough to let the other flavors, alcohol, and texture of this shine through. It almost handled like a Belgian IPA, down to the cloudiness of the hue and how long it took for me to get through this!

Loved the pour to this, as the apricot hue had a nice shine to it when held up to the light, to go with the appeal of the opaqueness and fluffy head. Lots of orange and resin in the nose to go with the mint and pine in the taste with a slick mouthfeel, a good amount of booze, and only the hint of hops in the back that slowly came on after everything else settled in. Quite strong, the booze was present and enhanced the flavor profile of this while adding a nice warming effect. Not any stickiness to this in the aftertaste but the caramel could be detected once this went down and added some more depth to this, on top of the crystalline sugar-like sweetness that was underneath everything else.

Sure, this was strong but being that this was a beer to savor, that wasn't a deterrent at all. IPA's like this enhance the style overall since they show that they don't all have to be hop-bombs that burn the taste buds from the get-go. This was fabulous stuff that warmed me up nicely on a cold winter's night and next time I head to the store, I'm getting a full four-pack of this. Great stuff that deserves a higher rating on here!

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a Lovely cloudy light amber. Nice creamy head. Smells earthy, damp and musky. Nice bitterness up front. Good malt flavor, slightly sweet, finishes with a lovely hop bouquet more floral and less piney than most. An excellent IPA. Right up there with Enjoy by and Pliny in my estimation.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into DFH IPA glass
Best by date 3/2015

L-This is one of the darker IPAs........Huge off white head with never ending retention. Lots of nucleation going on as well.......

S-Piney, grapefruit hops..............some caramel, toffee malts

T-Piney, grassy, earthy, herbal hops, ........not much citrus. at first, but more grapefruit appears as it warms...........caramel, toffee, bready malts........

F-Medium bodied, mild carbonation, some sweetness, some mild bitterness in the finish......something lacking throughout the experience

O-Just not my style of IPA, heavy on the caramel / toffee malts, hops are more piney and herbal vs. tropical.
Alcohol doesn't have a strong presence which is fine
Improves as it warms........not one I would revisit

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great tasting IPA very consistent it's always great

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Really malty initial taste, kind of like the beer camp ipa from Sierra Nevada but this dipa does go down smooth. I like the amount of carbonation. But still not worth it

3.14/5  rDev -20.7%

I like this brewery but this beer surprised me by the degree to which I disliked it. It's too dark and the head is too soapy, lacking creaminess and cling. Appearance isn't a huge deal but in this case it was a harbinger of what was to come. Aroma was a dead give away- I had a relatively fresh bottle (under two months) and not much of anything was detected upon decantment- certainly none of the bright aromatics one expects in this style. Flavor is muddled, dusty, hop character of old spices, just really odd all around. Lacking even in the sweeter full bodied caramel flavor of the old school, heavy handed and malty east coast dipas. What gives. We drank a few more of these to be sure this wasn't an aberrant bottle. If given this beer in a blind tasting I would be unlikely to identify it's alleged style.

Mouthfeel could be crisper. Won't be back. Wasn't expecting world class but I'm pretty irritated I spent hard earned cash on this. A 750 of saison Brett would have been a much wiser choice.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

I liked this ipa.. Has a nice hoppy taste, but there is a malt backbone to this beer. Alcohol is pretty well hidden is this brew.. Worth a try if you can find it. Well made beer

Overly sweet and boozy for my liking. Really tastes more like a Barleywine than IPA.

to view more.
Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.