Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

to view more.
Ratings: 2,602 | Reviews: 794
Reviews by karengarys:
4.48/5  rDev +13.1%

I didn't plan on reviewing this... ...but...

After I poured it, I watched the concoction churning in the glass going crazy, and decided I just had to.... ...or maybe a youtube video was in order, but I'll do my best in words...

So, I poured this stuff, and it was filling the glass... Got to the bottom of the bottle where that murky stuff glops into the glass... cool... and I watched...

This poured very cloudy, leaving a beautiful soft light caramel colored head... But look at the fireworks in the glass! It was churning like crazy, bubbles were going up to the top of the liquidey part under the foam - it looked like it was boiling! This went on, but it didn't over-excite and get all over! The head just stood there, and all the commotion happened underneath! I just sat there and watched it for a while!

Better news, it smells good. Nice clean floral hops - I don't know what to label it, but it is the stuff you want to smell in an IPA. Citrus, sweet, clan.

And even better, it tastes good. Pine bite, nice bitter, with an edgy finish that works... No alcohol flavor appearance at all.

Mouthfeel cold is nice and prickley, as it warms it flattens out a bit.

Nice body to this. Kinda like a chewin' beer!

Overall, I'd recommend this. It stands out as an above average IPA. It is not watery at all. The tastes are huge and good. Smells good. Fun to watch in the glass as it settles down. Yep, if you see this, try it.

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%

Picked up a four pack on Saturday for the big Michigan victory.Poured into a nonic a deeply hazed deep orange infused copper color with a huge blooming head that over filled the glass even with a pretty gentle pour.Aromas were deeply fruity and resiny with sweet alcohol.and caramel looming large as well.I found the flavors to pretty sweet with a lot of suary notes,the hops were there lending tropical fruit and pine resin notes but this is another sweet ladened DIPA.It's not bad and is alot like others of the style but it just gets to sweet and sticky after awhile....in my opinion.

3.92/5  rDev -1%

I picked this up on a trip to St. Louis a few weeks ago and it's the first Boulevard offering that I've tried. 750 ml bottle with a Batch number of 0-9310 and a freshness(?) date of 11/10.

A: Went with a medium-hard pour into an oversize wine glass on this one, which I immediately found out was a mistake. It had a massive, 5 or 6 finger head that retreated slowly and left clumpy, big bubbles of froth behind on the glass. The color is a copper-amber, which is not really what I was expecting from this IPA. It actually looks a little more like a quad than an IPA.

S: When first I popped the cork, the aroma was a pretty intense citrus-hop profile, but that faded quickly and left behind more of a grassy and floral hop smell. The strength of the aroma also faded considerably as the beer warmed a bit. It was quite large at first whiff. There are some good orange and grapefruit characteristics hiding behind the grassy notes. It is a pleasant smell.

T: The taste essentially represents the smell, but is not as big as the aroma suggests it might be. It lacks a quality that I really look for in an IPA, which is that lingering grapefruit-ty bitterness that really jumps on the back of the palate. However, it does have a pleasant, bittersweet hop/malt combination that makes it a good sipper.

M: Perhaps a little thin for an IPA with this high of an a.b.v. I would expect a little more malt balance to give it a heftier mouthfeel, but it isn't there. I'd say it's a little above average

D: This is pleasant to drink. I split the big bottle with my girlfriend and didn't find it at all hard to rip through. I found this to be a good, enjoyable IPA, but not an elite one.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%

75cL bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Batch number 09135

Poured a hazy darker orange bordering on ruby. A 2 finger bone head recedes to a small layer of tiny bubbles on the surface. It is much more ruby than other IPA's and I think its looks great in the glass

It smells of a non discriminant hop. To me it is neither floral or grassy or citrusy. It isn't really punch you in the face as I expected but I suspect this bottle has some age.

The taste has this ridiculously smooth bitterness with an accompanying malt sweetness. It ends with just a small taste of citrus hops on the back. Enjoyable and really balanced for the gravity but it shows the age.

It is very smooth for an IPA in the mouthfeel and drinks quickly as it is so balanced.

I truly believe this bottle is past its prime. I acquired two bottles in September and drank one then and forgot about this one until now. I recall it being way more hoppy in the nose and not it is rather nondescript. I actually enjoyed this beer very much because it is so balanced and smooth but I can tell it is not what it should have been. I reviewed to style and while my personal feeling of this beer is higher than the ratings I want to give an honest to style rating. If I am interpreting the date code right this was brewed in mid-May. so it is 7.5 months old. My bottle that was 4 months old I recall being much better. I want to review this beer with a fresh bottle.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

This one was donated to the cause by my good friend bjones10. Thanks Brian. There's a lot of hop action in this. Brewer says that they use Zeus & Magnum for bittering and aroma. Ahtanum for aroma and Ahtanum, Centennial and Chinook for dry hopping. That's a lot of hops for a 750ml bottle! I pulled the cork out with my teeth - made me feel like a man. This is batch D8144 - here goes...

A: Man, it's a handsome bottle. Champaign style cork and bottle shape. Vintage poster looking label. Nice frothy yellowy white 2 finger head that dissipated to a nice thin head. Lacing is frothy. Color is really interesting. Hazy as you would expect but a mysterious dark reddish brown. Head comes back with subsequent pours.

S: Fresh grass, slight grapefruit but there is definitely a sweeter apricot type smell there too. Very bold but the sweetness rounds off the overt sharpness you can sometimes get from big hops.

T: Wow. I didn't expect this to be balanced (as much as an IPA can be balanced). The caramel malt is an exceptionally strong back bone and the bold hops sit right on top of it. No real conflicts, it works pretty well. The overall taste is a nice bready maltiness with citrus. The hop aggressiveness is there on the palette throughout and gives a nice crisp finish. Plenty going on in this brew.

M: It is crisp and light but the malty roundness of the taste makes it feel more medium bodied. Medium carbonation that is soft on the tongue but gives it plenty of life - just right.

D: This is a great beer. Pretty strong IPA. I drank the first pint
quickly but then I slowed down. I think the strong citrus and sweet malt was a bit much after a while. Having said that, I would be happy to have this beer often if I could get my hands on it. Makes me want to try more Boulevard.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue IV:

Part of Boulevard Brewing Co.'s Smokestack Series. The head retention is nothing less than what we expected from this style, lots of sticky action on the glass. Mild, chill haze and tawny in color. Clean pungent oily hop aroma of mint, citrus and evergreen. Sure, there is a splash of malt in the nose, but the hops dominate. Hearty medium body with a smooth carbonation that flows very well. Bitterness is there but nothing drastically sharp, seems the focus is more on flavor. Oily and a little pungent, the hops bring forth layers of complex flavors; earth, herbal, mint, citrus, pine and tobacco. Alcohol warms the mouth a bit with tones of ripe pear, plum and a very faint white pepper backing. Almost forgot the malt because the hops are so flavorful--bready with a biscuity tone seem to be the base. The finish is semi-dry.

Very drinkable, but you'll still want to sip this one. We really love and appreciate the angle of more flavors versus trying to kill the palate with raw bitterness. Delicious.

Poured aggressively into my nonic. Bad mistake. Generous head quickly overpowers the pint glass and I have to wait to finish the pour.
Dark brown/red cloudy appearance. Nice bronzy head retention. Smells nicely tart.
Taste, pine and citrus. Nothing overpowering but somewhat lacking in malt balance also.
Overall though, a good beer. I enjoyed it a lot and will definitely have another.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy, deep copper coloring with a foamy beige head. Clumping up nicely into tasty globs. No visible carbonation.

Pine needles and grapefruit on the nose. Not overbearing though. Smells like it won't be that heavy.

Interesting, need another sip. Not typical. Very subtle at first, then starts to sizzle on the tip of your tongue. Tart hoppy finish that sticks around on your breath.

Watery up front. Slight boozy burn on the finish. Some lingering waxy feeling.

Good, high abv IPA. You do notice the alcohol though and it might keep me from ordering more than one at a bar.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Best by 10/18/11; poured into a snifter

A - First off, I love the design of the labels and bottles of the Smokestack Series. Pours a slightly hazy deep copper with at least three fingers of dense tan head. Head has great retention and leaves a lot of lacing.

S - Quite floral, with a nice amount of citrus and noticeable caramel malt. Also a very faint bubblegum aroma.

T - Taste is also has a floral presence, but also an assertive bitterness and pungency of hops up front, mainly grapefruit zest and some citrus pulp, with a small grass presence as well. There is a decent amount of malt as well, but it is rather hidden behind the bitterness.

M - Medium, resinous mouthfeel with long lasting bitterness.

O - This is a solid, if not spectacular, DIPA. I would definitely have it again, but wouldn't go out of my way for it.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

750 ml bottle, batch 08303. Pours a murky tea color with a monstrous frothy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet and sugary fruity citrus and melon hops with a little resin.

The flavor is subdued and a bit watery with some fruity hops and some resiny bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is light bodied and watery.

Overall, unbalanced towards the hops and pretty watery washed out mouthfeel, but I like the hop aromas and flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

An outstanding IPA! Found this little gem on a trip up the California coast, but it comes from my home state of Missouri.

Bottle thanks to Fugazme. Pours a clear copper amber body with a large offwhite head. Lots of clumpy and patchy lacing.

Aroma features orange and pink grapefruity hops, edged by a touch of pine. Solid caramel malt aromas suggest a good balance to follow.

Mouthfeel is creamy, with a medium carbonation and body. No hint of alcohol.

Taste is pleasantly balanced. Citrusy orange and pink grapefruit notes are enhanced by a touch of kiwi, and balanced by a subdued, but sturdy enough, bready caramel malt profile. Finishes clean and even with no significant aftertaste.

Nothing spectacular here but a very solid and enjoyable example of the style. I wish I had another.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Beer name/Brewer: Boulevard Double wide

Serving info: Large Bottle caged and corked. No freshness/vintage dating that I could find.

Pours: Quite cloudy, medium almond amber, under a LONG lasting khaki head. Great head! Slow to turn to a super thick collar and leaves gobs of thick strands of lace.

Nose: Minty pine nose, underplayed with dark toast vapors

Flavor notes: Tasty hopped up ale, with notes of more mint, leafy, herbal hops and malty underpinnings.. Heady brew @ 8.5 %, but to my taste buds the alcohol is nowhere in the flavor profile. Quality stuff, I enjoyed every sip!

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Best by date of 7/27/12

Pours two fingers worth of egg shell colored head. Hazy amber body. A thin cap of head remains, with a good amount of small bubbles clinging to the glass.

Smells very mildly of floral hops. Carmel and toffee malts, some breadyness as well. This is a let down with respect to hop aroma in my opinion. I know there's plenty of ways to make a beer but a double IPA should have a good hop presence in the nose.

Tastes quite complex and present. Citrus, carmel, toffee, some tropical fruit. The finish has some more sugary sweetness mixed with piney bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium, medium carbonation. Good balance overall.

This is a fairly tasty big beer. I'd like a lot more hop's in the nose but I'll have to accept that this is the way it was suppose to be.
Good price at $2.50 a 12oz bottle.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Marked best by 3/12/12

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, high carbonation, brownish orange in color, cloudy

Smell: big piney hops, some citrus hops and a touch of pale malt and caramel

Taste: the start is slight caramel with piney and citrus hops. The citrus hops keep on getting stronger and they eventually mix with a touch of sugar at the end.

Mouthfeel: sweetish start with a bitter middle and a sweetish end, high carbonation, light bodied

Overall: Refreshing beyond belief. One of the best ipas I have had in a while. I love how the citrus just jumps but this never gets to be too bitter. A great beer.

The beer pours a dark orange color with a white head. The aroma is a mix of pine and citrus hops with a tad bit of caramel malt. The flavor is more of the same. I get a lot of piney hops, along with some bitter orange notes. All of this is balanced out with some caramel malt. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice IPA.

4.01/5  rDev +1.3%

Another DIPA into the DFH tulip...

A- Head exploded upon contact with the bottom of the glass, almost like spray insulation, despite a somewhat gentle pour. Very fluffy with tremendous retention. Beautiful ruby in color with a noticeable haze.

S- Sweet malt, rock- or cotton candy. Fresh pine and maybe apricot or peach. Reminiscent of an orange liqueur, maybe.

T- Definitely not a hop bomb. Clean and sweet up front with a gentle piney finish. Faint raisin bread element to it.

M- Silky, full, and rich- which is weird, considering that for that first fleeting moment of each sip, there is a fresh, crisp thing going on that makes you think it might come off dry. Then a velvety richness soaked in fruity juiciness sort of spreads all over your mouth.

O- Very good beer overall. In spite of a weak nose, this beer just keeps getting better the more it warms. You'd never guess the ABV if you didn't know it. I'm pumped that Boulevard finally made their stuff easily available to me.

4.26/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Rich, fairly dark amber with loads of suspended yeast. Huge, frothy, cream colored head, which looks like it belongs on a root beer float. Head mostly dies down after a couple minutes. Doesn't really look like a DIPA, but a very nice appearance nonetheless.

Smell: Caramel, citrus and toasted bread - not as much going on as I had hoped.

Taste: Huge amount of citrus and apricot upfront over a nice layer of caramel malts. Quite bitter finish, with lots of pine and spiciness.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium to full body, quite creamy and extremely dry.

Overall: Delicious and wonderful. The aroma is weak, but the taste and the mouthfeel more than overcome it.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

As IPA's go, one of the best. Pours hazy orange-copper with a thick, frothy off-white head. Sweet, fruity aroma with grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and pine. Taste is as big as an Imperial without the heavy mouthfeel. Lots of citrus-with-caramel flavors. The apricot and blood orange do show through as advertised. Melon and spice do come out as the beer warms. Big hop flavor without being a hop bomb. Loved it.

3.01/5  rDev -24%

12oz bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead tulip.

Pours a hazy rown color with a creamy yellow head and some thin creamy lacing. Nose is a bit disappointing, it's malty and earthy, light citrus in the background but it's subtle.

Taste is quite bitter, a bit sweet and sharp with a lot of earthy mellow flavors. I think the this ipa would actually benefit from some age.

3.46/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Reviewed from notes. Consumed 08/09/09

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into a water glass. Light pour evokes a four finger head of off white head that shows great retention and plenty of lace. Color is a cloudy copper orange.

Nose- Orange and tangerine, some floral notes. A bit of caramel. Some metallic notes.

Pallate- Huge amounts of a caramel and biscuit. Some overripe orange, lemon rind. Pleasant lasting bitterness. Long dry finish. Very balanced for a double IPA.

Mouthfeel- Thick, and Dry.

Drinkability- A bit strong and heavy, personally I enjoyed the single wide more.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Double Wide opens with a lovely hop aroma, full of lemon, pink grapefruit, pine resin, and light touches of eucalyptus. These hop aromas are nicely balanced by a large and sugary malt base, which brings enough brown sugar that the bottle's mouth is sticky, as well as toast crust and excellent hints of fruits, including black cherry, fig, apricot, and orange. Subtle vanillas linger in the background, as well as a touch of bubble gum and cola. As a whole, the nose is very enticing, and the large malt base is an instant indicator that equal attention in this IPA has been paid to all ingredients, rather than just to the hops.

On the tongue, the beer opens with a sugar and hop combo, the former bringing brown sugars and touches of molasses and vanilla, and the latter--which comes to dominate the mouthful--adding pine, grapefruit rind, and dandelion stem. The beer is decently bitter at 71 IBUs, but the bitterness is a nice complement to the hop flavors, and does not overwhelm the taste. A slight alcoholic whang does permeate the mouthful. The aftertaste is strong on grain flavors such as toast and wheat bread, as well as a continuation of the grapefruit rind and light plant stem flavors, and lingers for a good while. Mouthfeel is medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is an excellent IPA, being not only nicely crafted at the hop level, but at the malt level. The beer is not without slight imperfections, as the plant stem flavors and slight alcoholic kick do gently mar the flavor profile, but as a whole this is great fare, and worth trying.

3.66/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Deep amber in color with a murky appearance. There's a good inch of densely packed beige head resting on top. Heavy lacing is on my glass. Aroma of citrus hops and cereal grains is prominent. The flavor is a deep citrus burn comparable to an orange that is held in check by some light cereal grains. On the fade you get a nice citrus hop burn. The mouth is fairly thick,creamy, and a bit chalky.

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

Prying off the cap releases a floral nose with a little grass over light fruit and a hint of grain. Pours hazy gold with a 2” finely bubbled off-white foam cap. An exceptionally creamy palate with big citrus, traces of melon or perhaps guava, very light caramel and light grain notes finishes with a citrusy hop accent that segues into a quinine type bitter over lingering citrus flavors. A very creamy medium body with fine soft carbonation.

3.23/5  rDev -18.4%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via online
Thanks, www.archerliquors.com!

A dark, clear auburn with a huge, persistent, very light khaki colored head that sticks around for minutes. When it eventually subsides, it leaves messy lacing down the glass.

This aroma has some citrus hop presence, but it's relatively malt-forward, with caramel malt, pale malt, and freshly baked bread providing most of the aroma.

The flavor follows similarly, with sweet toffee, bread, and caramel dominating the flavor, along with a bit of citrus and pine, and a touch of alcohol heat. Average.

Medium bodied with moderate to high carbonation.

An average, drinkable DIPA. Nothing more, nothing less.

to view more.
Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.