Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

(Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros

1.45/5  rDev -63.4%

Batch D8240 - not idea what this means with relation to date. Purchased at Surdyks in Minneapolis in early February '09. Cellared until uncorking.

Stale as the day is long. Wet cardboard dominates this one and it's down the drain. Disappointing to say the least. No hop character at all, although the copper color and heavy foam head were promising. Aroma and malt flavor like an old wet towel. Not a slam review, but after a recent dead 6'er of Racer 5 I'm a little intolerant of stale $9 beers.

I'll try again and reprise this if necessary as it seems my experience is an exception. I want to like this brewery, but this was my first Boulevard purchase. The liquor store has an impressive display of Smokestack beers, and I'd expect some turnover so maybe this one got away.

1.5/5  rDev -62.1%

1.75/5  rDev -55.8%

1.95/5  rDev -50.8%

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

With one of the classiest names in the biz, it's no doubt that this is sure to entertain and delight with unequivocal ecstasy. It's been awhile since I spent good hard earned money on one of these corked and caged joints and been a bit disappointed. But those days were West Coast days. Now I'm here, a bottle as an extra from my man Peesie. 12oz proprietary (unnecessary) bottle. First time in this format.
Dark orange with an overly ample plumage. A bit troublesome with the consistency of the pour.
Wonderful metallic and cardboard flavors emanating from the depths of the glass. A little bit of vague hop flavor. Kind've awful to put to my nose. Regardless, and heedlessly, perhaps headlessly, I purse the glass between my lips to achieve the taste. The oxidation of what may be a perfectly fine beverage was exquisite. If that's what they were going for, they did it well. I assume not, and I was unable to have much more than a few ounces. Fortunately, my dear lady, who usually is well-equipped with her tasting acumen, chose to focus on the strong bitterness and the not-overly-sweet nature of the beverage. Pity her soul.

2.2/5  rDev -44.4%

2.25/5  rDev -43.2%

2.4/5  rDev -39.4%

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

Served in a bottle at the Bayou in Salt Lake City.

Was a little letdown by this one - my server talked very highly of it, so I splurged the $18 for the 750ml bottle.

Deeper orange color, creamy head and lacing.

Smell was very grapefruit with a touch of floral hoppiness - almost pine, but not quite.

Very sweet on the palate, but not in a heavy, malty way. Light caramel, grapefruit, and almost a Vick's Vapor Rub sensation. Finished with a fairly subdued light and floral hoppiness, bitterness was more inline with a standard IPA.

Was rather thin in the mouth, but the overbearing sweetness and effervescent nature of the brew made it difficult to drink quickly.

In short, I definitely wasn't impressed with the DW. Very very sweet and light for a DIPA, yet still very slow drinking. Not a bad beer, but not one your typical IPA-lover would probably be thrilled with. Gorgeous bottle and art, however - love brewers with the stones to do 750ml corked bottles and rad artwork.

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.