Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,614 | Reviews: 797
1.5/5  rDev -62.1%

Batch D8240 - not idea what this means with relation to date. Purchased at Surdyks in Minneapolis in early February '09. Cellared until uncorking.

Stale as the day is long. Wet cardboard dominates this one and it's down the drain. Disappointing to say the least. No hop character at all, although the copper color and heavy foam head were promising. Aroma and malt flavor like an old wet towel. Not a slam review, but after a recent dead 6'er of Racer 5 I'm a little intolerant of stale $9 beers.

I'll try again and reprise this if necessary as it seems my experience is an exception. I want to like this brewery, but this was my first Boulevard purchase. The liquor store has an impressive display of Smokestack beers, and I'd expect some turnover so maybe this one got away.

2.05/5  rDev -48.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

With one of the classiest names in the biz, it's no doubt that this is sure to entertain and delight with unequivocal ecstasy. It's been awhile since I spent good hard earned money on one of these corked and caged joints and been a bit disappointed. But those days were West Coast days. Now I'm here, a bottle as an extra from my man Peesie. 12oz proprietary (unnecessary) bottle. First time in this format.
Dark orange with an overly ample plumage. A bit troublesome with the consistency of the pour.
Wonderful metallic and cardboard flavors emanating from the depths of the glass. A little bit of vague hop flavor. Kind've awful to put to my nose. Regardless, and heedlessly, perhaps headlessly, I purse the glass between my lips to achieve the taste. The oxidation of what may be a perfectly fine beverage was exquisite. If that's what they were going for, they did it well. I assume not, and I was unable to have much more than a few ounces. Fortunately, my dear lady, who usually is well-equipped with her tasting acumen, chose to focus on the strong bitterness and the not-overly-sweet nature of the beverage. Pity her soul.

2.56/5  rDev -35.4%

Poured into a 16oz. snifter.

A-Lots of head right away. Cloudy, orange/caramel color.

S-Malty caramel upfront with a hint of pine hops.

T-Very thin! Notice the maltiness right away with the bitter piney hops at the finish. Lacking.

M-Again very thin! For 8.5% should be thicker and a bit chewier.

D-Can drink this all day, if I actually wanted too, because of the thinness.

Very disappointed. Not sure how this is rated A-. Use to DIPA's like Dreadnaught, Double Jack, Hopslam, Maharaja which are all in a different league than this beer.

2.59/5  rDev -34.6%

Served in a bottle at the Bayou in Salt Lake City.

Was a little letdown by this one - my server talked very highly of it, so I splurged the $18 for the 750ml bottle.

Deeper orange color, creamy head and lacing.

Smell was very grapefruit with a touch of floral hoppiness - almost pine, but not quite.

Very sweet on the palate, but not in a heavy, malty way. Light caramel, grapefruit, and almost a Vick's Vapor Rub sensation. Finished with a fairly subdued light and floral hoppiness, bitterness was more inline with a standard IPA.

Was rather thin in the mouth, but the overbearing sweetness and effervescent nature of the brew made it difficult to drink quickly.

In short, I definitely wasn't impressed with the DW. Very very sweet and light for a DIPA, yet still very slow drinking. Not a bad beer, but not one your typical IPA-lover would probably be thrilled with. Gorgeous bottle and art, however - love brewers with the stones to do 750ml corked bottles and rad artwork.

2.63/5  rDev -33.6%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 7/7/12
*From notes

A: Clean ruby orange in color. A good pour yields a three finger head. Decent retention and moderate lacing.

S: Malty pine. Almost stale, yet I know this is fresh. Huh...that's not what I was hoping for.

T: Disappointingly malty. Not the big, juicy beer I was hoping for. Very east coast. Actually, this beer has no coast. At least the east coaters "taste" fresh. To be polite, this is simply not my thing.

M: Waaay overcarbed. Effervescent and, for the style, really dull.

O: I'm still waiting for Boulevard to wow me. I'm right here...still waiting....

2.67/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance- Orangy brown,very cloudy,with a tan 2-1/2 finger tight head that left little lacing. There is more sediment present than I am used to seeing in this style.

Smell- Fairly strong aroma of fruity,piney hops.

Taste-The beer had a spicy,carbonated,bitter and alcoholic opening that finished chalky and a little solventy. There was a lot of nicotine bitterness in this beer which I do not care for.

Mouthfeel-Moderately full bodied with stinging alcohol.

Drinkability- I was dissappointed in this beer which received generally high marks from BA. I found the excessive level of sediment in the beer unappealing. The "tobacco" component that others consider a plus I see as a minus. I will be more careful in the future to avoid beers that have this flavor in their profile and not to rely on overall scores. Lesson learned.

2.68/5  rDev -32.3%

Corked & caged bomber picked up from Friar Tucks in Peoria 2 weeks ago. This was way darker than expected, the beer pours murky, dark copper, with tons of tan foam on top. The smell is likewise ominous, a strong malt presence not only balances the hops but threatens to take over. This smells sweet and barley-winish, I want more hops. The taste is more malty than I'd prefer or expect, just as the aroma promised. The hops are west coast citrus style but are just totally dominated by the malt sweetness. The body is thick which fits the rich flavors, but it doesn't suit me and it certainly hurts the drinkability. This is among the worst IPA's I've tried, too strong and too much malt.

2.74/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured into a snifter. Very pretty dark amber with nice fluffy head and good lacing. Pretty beer for sure.

Odd, off putting nose. Others have mentioned a solvent smell, and really for me it was overwhelming. I really couldn't get past it.

Same taste as smell. Got some malt at the end, but was mostly solvent and booze. Couldn't find the hops at all.

Was not impressed at all. Very surprised by all the love for this.

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

man. this thing is boozy. poured pretty flat, very murky dark molasses. no head. the nose surprisingly reminds me a lot of DFH 120 Min. Very malty, boozy, and sweet. Not much hop presence at all. The taste is quite the same, malty without a hop back, molasses in the aftertaste, slightly chemical (again, nail polish). The alcohol really comes out at only 9%. Flat. Overall, I probably won't buy it again unless its fresh (which i doubt out here).

2.76/5  rDev -30.3%

Murky looking copper-orange. Thick and fluffy white head. Lace is quite full. The aroma leans way too heavy on the citrus and pine traits. Not that those are necessarily bad, but this is more like smelling pine-sol. Some grassy notes as well on the nose. The flavor doesn't pick up the slack for the nose. Very average as well. Too grassy. Too piney. And a little too harsh for my liking. There's a lingering harshness that is not like your typical lingering bitterness in well crafted DIPA. This is more astringent than bitter. More solvent like than resiny or pungent. I've had lots better. This is merely average.

2.81/5  rDev -29%

12oz, best before 5/2/12.

Pours a nice and clear dark copper with a good-looking two-finger head. Very good retention and lacing.

The aroma reveals some hints of oxidation (staleness, cardboard), though also some nice notes of pine and citrus.

Yup, this one's oxidized, although some of the intended flavor comes through. Bits of apricot and orange from the hops, along with a hefty bitterness that lingers but does not overpower. Malt character is thick and rich, more than I like in a DIPA. Mouthfeel is relatively creamy, and has ample yet soft carbonation.

Brewery lesson here is don't put an unrealistic best-by-date on the bottle if the beer is going to be under-par and oxidized well before the advertised date.

2.84/5  rDev -28.3%

A - Dark amber coloration, wildly frothy big cream colored head, lacing and retention that is top-class. Impressive looking beer.

S - Very mild but refreshing aroma of apricot, peach, citrus, and some hops. Not much maltiness coming through here.

T - Very beery tasting. Not a whole lot of flavor, pretty dry tasting. Dried fruits, moderate hop profile, and almost no malt backbone to speak of to bind to those flavors, accentuate them, and make them come together as one thing. Pretty disparate.

M - Dry, carbonated a bit mich, medium bodied. Aftertaste is of club soda, though.

D - Not a great beer. This brewery could really beef up this beer with adding a bit of malt (and i stress - just a bit - because you never wanna overdo it with malt in a beer like this). Not bad, but not great. Don't see myself getting it again. However, I do love what I've tried from the brewery as a whole.

2.86/5  rDev -27.8%

Thanks Chuck for sending this
Best by 2-24-12

A - clouded ruby/amber body with much taupe head. A good look, not quite what I expect for the style.

S - Sweet fruits (cherries primarily), earthy hops...not much else

T - toffee malts, kind of a graham cracker taste. What the hell is this? A barleywine? This is not very hoppy...somewhat bitter, but there is very little about this to indicate IPA....

M - big, smoothish, somewhat dry. Pretty good for style.

O - must be an issue in transit. This can't be right.

2.87/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance - Amber/Murky in color. Huge head/lacing and retention. glass. This is really hazy beer that looks more like a barley wine than an IPA.

Aroma - Mostly sweet toasted malts and a hint of hops, but the hops are barely there.

Taste - Sweet, toasted. Not very bitter at all.Some light grassy/herbal/pine/mint flavor

Mouthfeel - Heavy/full bodied/viscous

Overall - Meh.

2.88/5  rDev -27.3%

A - Pours a dark amber color, hazy and cloudy. Big foamy heady, nice lacing.

S - Lots of sweet ripe grapefruit. Touches of resin and floral hop notes. Not overly strong.

T - Extremely malty and sweet. The hops are there for bittering, not add nothing to the initial flavor. The aftertaste is bitter hops, but faint.

M - Highly carbonated, medium bodied. This amount of carbonation would better with a thicker beer. Finishes dry and crisp.

D - No thanks. It was worth trying, but there are much better IPAs out there.

2.88/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a dark brown (off for the style), nearly chestnut, with more than a finger tan head. The color is quite something to look at. This must have been bottle conditioned, as there are floaties suspended after a full pour. Malt is most prevalent with thick caramel and biscuit, hops have a grapefruit presence. Flavor is really caramelly with some wheat bread crust, bark and slight pine. Bitterness is nectary, flowery, and strong in the back of the tongue. Alcohol burn is noticeable, but not necessarily a flaw. Feel is slightly viscous, somewhat dry finish.  While this is solid, I'm just not used to such a malt prevalent double IPA. I'd really like some more earthy hops to go with the malt. I understand they aren't doing the whole West Coast hop thing, but I prefer hop forward IPAs. This is what a doucle IPA mist have tastes like in 1988. I'll try again, but my initial thought is that this isn't worth $12 for a four pack.

2.91/5  rDev -26.5%

Thanks to Joe for this bottle, out of a pint glass. Dated 11/2011...

A- Very reddish amber, with a bright glowing color. TONS of white head, good lacing, but this foam is just overboard.'

S- Notes of metal, cat pee, and sweet malt. Some citrusy hop notes as well.

T- The initial flavor is quite watery. The malt and light citrus comes in. The aftertaste is most bitter hops and sweetness.

M- For a beer that is so foamy, it is light on carbonation. The body is nice, but the beer drinks kind of flat.

O- Overall this was a bit of a let down. Maybe I've been spoiled after drinking incredible DIPA's these last couple weeks, but after I smelled this I knew it wasn't going to be great. Perhaps it isn't as fresh as it could be.

-GFunk

2.92/5  rDev -26.3%

I love the smack-you-in-the-tongue bitterness typical in an IPA.

A: Amber, bottle conditioned chunky. I prefer my commercial beers filtered, or the sediment to pack tightly.

S: I am excited. This has outstanding aroma. Big citrus aroma. Can't wait to dive in.

T: I'm waiting for it.... still waiting. It's underwhelming. My tongue isn't turning over. Mild flavor. Crap.

M: Carbonation is excellent. Head keeps buildling as it sits. Wanting that lingering bitterness though.

O: Just wasted $10 on a 4 pack. Wouldn't recommend unless you like your IPAs bite-less.

2.92/5  rDev -26.3%

Reviewed 12/14/2008 (bottle batch#D8240):

Pours a reddish brown color body..Big creamy head, lasting, okay lacing. Piney, hoppy aroma. Bitter pungent nose with some sickly sweetness. Balanced taste, some grapefruity taste. Watery body, some carbonation. Not a strong flavor. More aroma than taste.

2.94/5  rDev -25.8%

Picked this one up in Durango at the Star. Nice to see they do this in a 12 oz bottle now. Yeast in suspension for a long time. Poured deep orange for 1/2 the bottle. Smells good. Pineapple and tropical fruit. Taste is overly bitter. They could have backed off a bit on the bittering hops. Good mouthfeel. Decent, but poor presentation.

2.97/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

double-wide takes the approach to double IPAs that turns me off from the style. yes, it's big, boozy, and has some dryness to it, but the malt body seems to be the dominant factor. pours a coppery, amber tone with a small head. minimal lacing on my mini imperial pint glass. nose is nutty, malty, and full of brown sugar with more than a hint of peach cobbler, but none of the pine and apricot the label promised. taste is sweet up front, with bitterness coming in at the end. i can tell this beer is up there in abv. if they called this a hoppy barleywine i would feel more satisfied, but it doesn't have the tang, the dankness, or the pine i like in an IPA beer. guess my west coast palate is showing....the malts and the abv do give this beer a respectable body, though.

2.98/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a caramel color with a thick, foamy head two and a half thumbs width deep. Nice lacing. A nice caramel base giving some off some bread, a nice hit of lemon zest sits atop it. A little too much alcohol shows up in the flavor, alongside what I can only think is some butterscotch, and bread. Not too much citrus or hops of any kind really. Medium bodied mouthfeel, some activity. Overall, a let down. Perhaps this was just an old bottle 'cause given the reputation of this beer, I expected a lot more.

2.99/5  rDev -24.5%

At first, I got what seemed to be resiny hops on the nose...but soon that subsided and turned into a very sweet nose with toffee, earthy notes and what smelled a bit like maple to me. To be quite honest, I'm not a fan of it.

Pours a hazy dark golden color in my glass with a pretty impressive head...slowly dying down with good lacing.

A blast of medicinal hop bitterness is what I get right away...leading into a body of fair sweetness, but nowhere near as sticky as I'd expected from the nose. Some toffee is there...kind of fruity, perhaps a little orange...an earthy note. Bitterness is astringent and lasting on the finish.

Not my favorite DIPA by any stretch, though I'm relieved it's better than the aroma led on.

Overly sweet and boozy for my liking. Really tastes more like a Barleywine than IPA.

Thanks to turbine2475 who sent me this brew as an extra in a trade.

Been on an IPA kick lately, I should write a song about that. This beer would not make it into verse, although the excellent bottle might.

There are two kinds of IPA for me: the clean, citrusy, hoppy assault on all your senses. And then there are those that, for whatever reason, taste of earth, Wiccans, & the unclean.

This falls into the latter category. Right away I notice there's no bright, clean IPAness around the look of this, it's murky as twilight in Mordor. And the taste...IPA that's been lurking under a musty pile of last winter's leaves. The hoppiness is as fleeting as spring love, & if you're making an IPA, why would you do that? Not terribly drinkable either. Splitting the bomber with the wife, who seems to enjoy it more than I have.

This is strictly OK. Too bad. After trying the Smokestack Quad, which was fantastic, I had high hopes for this brew. Oh well. Plenty of great IPAs out there.

Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.