Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

(Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros

sourdream, Oct 21, 2012

rjgbeeradvo, Mar 11, 2012
1.45/5  rDev -63.4%

Batch D8240 - not idea what this means with relation to date. Purchased at Surdyks in Minneapolis in early February '09. Cellared until uncorking.

Stale as the day is long. Wet cardboard dominates this one and it's down the drain. Disappointing to say the least. No hop character at all, although the copper color and heavy foam head were promising. Aroma and malt flavor like an old wet towel. Not a slam review, but after a recent dead 6'er of Racer 5 I'm a little intolerant of stale $9 beers.

I'll try again and reprise this if necessary as it seems my experience is an exception. I want to like this brewery, but this was my first Boulevard purchase. The liquor store has an impressive display of Smokestack beers, and I'd expect some turnover so maybe this one got away.

burlyb, Feb 21, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -62.1%

ajzy, May 12, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -55.8%

Silverback77, Nov 23, 2012

robobgs, Jan 18, 2012

jonmorgan, Jan 01, 2013

garyford, Feb 15, 2012
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

With one of the classiest names in the biz, it's no doubt that this is sure to entertain and delight with unequivocal ecstasy. It's been awhile since I spent good hard earned money on one of these corked and caged joints and been a bit disappointed. But those days were West Coast days. Now I'm here, a bottle as an extra from my man Peesie. 12oz proprietary (unnecessary) bottle. First time in this format.
Dark orange with an overly ample plumage. A bit troublesome with the consistency of the pour.
Wonderful metallic and cardboard flavors emanating from the depths of the glass. A little bit of vague hop flavor. Kind've awful to put to my nose. Regardless, and heedlessly, perhaps headlessly, I purse the glass between my lips to achieve the taste. The oxidation of what may be a perfectly fine beverage was exquisite. If that's what they were going for, they did it well. I assume not, and I was unable to have much more than a few ounces. Fortunately, my dear lady, who usually is well-equipped with her tasting acumen, chose to focus on the strong bitterness and the not-overly-sweet nature of the beverage. Pity her soul.

dragonWhale, Jun 19, 2011

CNOTEKC, Jan 11, 2012

metsfan1, Sep 01, 2014

lic217, Oct 21, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

Served in a bottle at the Bayou in Salt Lake City.

Was a little letdown by this one - my server talked very highly of it, so I splurged the $18 for the 750ml bottle.

Deeper orange color, creamy head and lacing.

Smell was very grapefruit with a touch of floral hoppiness - almost pine, but not quite.

Very sweet on the palate, but not in a heavy, malty way. Light caramel, grapefruit, and almost a Vick's Vapor Rub sensation. Finished with a fairly subdued light and floral hoppiness, bitterness was more inline with a standard IPA.

Was rather thin in the mouth, but the overbearing sweetness and effervescent nature of the brew made it difficult to drink quickly.

In short, I definitely wasn't impressed with the DW. Very very sweet and light for a DIPA, yet still very slow drinking. Not a bad beer, but not one your typical IPA-lover would probably be thrilled with. Gorgeous bottle and art, however - love brewers with the stones to do 750ml corked bottles and rad artwork.

bluesovereign, Nov 28, 2010

Abarhan, Jul 07, 2012

soonerlight, Mar 25, 2012

AlaskanYoung, Jan 21, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured into a 16oz. snifter.

A-Lots of head right away. Cloudy, orange/caramel color.

S-Malty caramel upfront with a hint of pine hops.

T-Very thin! Notice the maltiness right away with the bitter piney hops at the finish. Lacking.

M-Again very thin! For 8.5% should be thicker and a bit chewier.

D-Can drink this all day, if I actually wanted too, because of the thinness.

Very disappointed. Not sure how this is rated A-. Use to DIPA's like Dreadnaught, Double Jack, Hopslam, Maharaja which are all in a different league than this beer.

kawilliams81, Feb 15, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -34.3%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 7/7/12
*From notes

A: Clean ruby orange in color. A good pour yields a three finger head. Decent retention and moderate lacing.

S: Malty pine. Almost stale, yet I know this is fresh. Huh...that's not what I was hoping for.

T: Disappointingly malty. Not the big, juicy beer I was hoping for. Very east coast. Actually, this beer has no coast. At least the east coaters "taste" fresh. To be polite, this is simply not my thing.

M: Waaay overcarbed. Effervescent and, for the style, really dull.

O: I'm still waiting for Boulevard to wow me. I'm right here...still waiting....

Rhettroactive, Jul 08, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance- Orangy brown,very cloudy,with a tan 2-1/2 finger tight head that left little lacing. There is more sediment present than I am used to seeing in this style.

Smell- Fairly strong aroma of fruity,piney hops.

Taste-The beer had a spicy,carbonated,bitter and alcoholic opening that finished chalky and a little solventy. There was a lot of nicotine bitterness in this beer which I do not care for.

Mouthfeel-Moderately full bodied with stinging alcohol.

Drinkability- I was dissappointed in this beer which received generally high marks from BA. I found the excessive level of sediment in the beer unappealing. The "tobacco" component that others consider a plus I see as a minus. I will be more careful in the future to avoid beers that have this flavor in their profile and not to rely on overall scores. Lesson learned.

southsider, Jan 21, 2011
Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.