Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,580 | Reviews: 789
3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

3.96/5  rDev 0%

Big bomber into a snifter.
Appearance: Pours a copperish-ruby color with a brownish-white head. Nice 1/8 inch head retained throughout drinking. Looks beautiful.

Smell: Piney citrus...lemony resin...some faint toffee

Taste: Very complex. Initial grapefruit yields to some sweet caramel and toffee malt, with a lemony/green apple finish. when it warms the alcohol is prevalent. very well balanced on both ends.

Mouthfeel: This beer packs a punch on the taste; mouth is coated with resiny-grapefruit and sweet malt after. Standard carbonation.

Overall: Very cool beer. The bottle design looks awesome too. The taste is almost overwhelming, a whole bomber of this to myself may be a little much. Regardless, I enjoy it and definitely recommend.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.12/5  rDev +4%

I'm going to have to agree with the brothers here, this is an exceptional beer. Mine poured a medium dark copper with some red because I was drinking it in daylight. On top was a thick, dirty tan head that started at about an inch and a half, dropped the inch, but the rest persisted throughout the drink, leaving a thick, scattered lacing as the beer level sank. I didn't think the nose matched the appearance. I picked up on some grassy notes, maybe some apricot, but to be honest it didn't jump out at me... The taste was back on target, with grass, pine, apricot and caramel malt rolling across the tongue to a significant astringency in the back of the throat, with heat from the alcohol. The mouthfeel of this beer is medium heavy from the malt, but hold it on your tongue and savor the bitterness. I'm a DIPA fan, and this one is good, really good.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a deep amber brown with copper hues beneath the cloud of tan head that very slowly dissolves to leave a sticky, scattered lacing.

An impressive combination of apricot and grass hops float from the glass with a noticeable caramel malt as well.

The flavor starts out with apricot and grass hops similar to the aroma but becomes more woody and piney as it warms while the malty backbone holds up for the duration of the beer.

The Double Wide offers a thick palate coating mouthfeel with generous carbonation and a bitter, biting finish.

One of the maltier Dipa’s I have had yet with abundant hops as well. This beer is serious. Tons going on here.

3.56/5  rDev -10.1%

This is a pretty damn good DIPA.

A: Beautiful rosy, copper color.

S: I don't know if it's just me today or what, but I'm getting some funk from the brew. Some kind of old, white cheese. Not necessarily blue cheese, but something in that section of the cheese shop.

T: Long toffee finish. Great dose of hops.

M: Shining point of this beer. Velvet, creamy, mouth-coating texture that drenches all of your taste buds with hops. Perfect mouthfeel.

O: Like I said before, pretty damn good.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

A - Pours a ruby amber color with a massively thick, billowing, light caramel colored head. The foamy head lingers for a very long time and clings to the glass like cotton candy. There's an ever so slight chill haze when cold but went away as the beer warmed up.

S - Small amount of doughy malt base with light ruby grapefruit peel, papaya, and light colored tropical fruit. Overall, the aroma is light but pleasing.

T - Hop forward with mint, pine, and grapefruit citrus from top to bottom. The malt is nowhere to be found and is detectable right at the end in bits and pieces in the aftertaste, but not much. Light herbal presence.

M - A full bodied Double IPA that glides over the tongue with slight carbonation and leaves a coating of pepper spice, grapefruit bitterness, and pine with a semi-dry finish.

O - I didn't like it much at first but as the beer warmed it really opened up and it grew on me. The aroma was a downer, wish it were stronger.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

2.99/5  rDev -24.5%

At first, I got what seemed to be resiny hops on the nose...but soon that subsided and turned into a very sweet nose with toffee, earthy notes and what smelled a bit like maple to me. To be quite honest, I'm not a fan of it.

Pours a hazy dark golden color in my glass with a pretty impressive head...slowly dying down with good lacing.

A blast of medicinal hop bitterness is what I get right away...leading into a body of fair sweetness, but nowhere near as sticky as I'd expected from the nose. Some toffee is there...kind of fruity, perhaps a little orange...an earthy note. Bitterness is astringent and lasting on the finish.

Not my favorite DIPA by any stretch, though I'm relieved it's better than the aroma led on.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.