Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros

3.29/5  rDev -16.9%

The overall appearance of this beer is very nice. It pours a hazy red orange ,with a nice fluffy, off white head.
Piney, is the aroma I get from this beer. It's a little weak, nothing that's going to blow your socks off.
As for taste, I'm getting apple up front and maybe hints of chocolate on the back end? Of course hops too.
This beer is very smooth, with slight carbonation. Not bad.
I think this beer is nothing that's going to blow you away, butkus also not a bad beer. Not sure if this is a beer I would put on my must buy list.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

A: This poured a hazy copper with lots of thick tan head.
S: It smelled like lots of grapefruit and citrus zest, with some papaya and honey malt.
T: It tasted like grapefruit and honey, with lemon zest and papaya. It had a bittersweet and very clean aftertaste.
M: It was thick with lots of carbonation. Nice full body.
D: This was a great double IPA. I loved the scent and taste and body. The alcohol was well hidden, and the finish was smooth, so it was really easy to drink. Not the best in the world, but a solid brew. Recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

A-dark amber almost brown with a really thick light tan head.

S-faint scent of rustic herbal hops.

T-Comes in with a decent taste of hoppy grains. It's very very subtle but with great flavor. Slight hint of grapefruit. A lot of grains in the after-taste. This is a great flavor with a lot of quality.

M-Medium creamy carbonation with a crisp finish

O-This is actually an amazing beer. It doesn't pack a lot of punch or flavor, but it has a subtle greatness to it that makes it a blessing to drink and to share. Go out and get a 6 pack!

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

3.51/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a tumbler pint glass.

A: Pours a dark copper color with lowish clarity. The head is huge, it's a four finger light mocha color with a nice texture, maddening retention and thick clumps of lacing. I want to dig into this bad boy, yet the head is still going strong...this would totally get a 5 if the color were slightly more vibrant.

S: Caramel malts and light herbal notes, typical of an IPA – but what catches me off guard is the presence of darker fruits like black cherries and raisins. Nice to see a DIPA that isn't just sweet malts and citric/piny hops, I must say.

T: I really like the presence of the bright and dark fruit esters this provides, as light and subtle as they may be. The opening sensations of orange, light cherry, and raisin helps augment the crisp malt backbone with a modicum of complexity. The finishing bitterness of pine, spices, and orange peel is moderate and accumulating. It's a good beer that doesn't bowl you over with a brutish hop profile...but the style almost demands that it bowls you over with a brutish hop profile – a stronger tropical fruit presence would really send this over the top in my opinion.

M: Slightly heavy, with an accumulating yeast presence increasing the finishing astringency and bitterness, to the point where it becomes a little hard to drink near the end of the glass, though it's not at all undrinkable. The carbonation is quite low, as well.

O: I like it, but it's not my favorite DIPA by any stretch. I could only ever have one of these in a sitting (during most circumstances), but I'd gladly have it again.

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz bottle into Duvel Quinze tulip

A - pours a pretty deep, clear orange color. Thick off-white head of dense bubbles that leave a nice lacing. Quite nice visually.

S - sort of a soapy, hoppy aroma is present but not huge. Nothing ground breaking for an IIPA. Not totally bad, but certainly different.

T - piney, resinous, mild bitterness. Finishes clean and lingers nicely. The piney comes through during the entire drink. Once again, nothing huge, but ok.

M - Creamy at first but nicely carbonated and finishes suprisingly clean. Perhaps its the freshness, but this one drinks very well.

O - I didnt know what to expect, but I am pleasantly surprised. This one isnt the best IIPA by far, but its suprisingly drinkable. Price point probably puts it to a "once in awhile" beer but I wouldnt turn one down. A few critiques tho: there is a "wet paint" smell that I cannot place but is persistent. Secondly, for a moderately priced IIPA, I was hoping for a tad bit more on the "wow" factor. Overall though, not a bad offering.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

2.63/5  rDev -33.6%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 7/7/12
*From notes

A: Clean ruby orange in color. A good pour yields a three finger head. Decent retention and moderate lacing.

S: Malty pine. Almost stale, yet I know this is fresh. Huh...that's not what I was hoping for.

T: Disappointingly malty. Not the big, juicy beer I was hoping for. Very east coast. Actually, this beer has no coast. At least the east coaters "taste" fresh. To be polite, this is simply not my thing.

M: Waaay overcarbed. Effervescent and, for the style, really dull.

O: I'm still waiting for Boulevard to wow me. I'm right here...still waiting....

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Sweet toast with honey on the nose with a potent curtain of floral (light) citrus hops.

Persistant light tan head laces nicely and sits atop a mostly clear dark copper colored ale. Little carbonation drifting to the top, but it's there.

I get a slight twinge of sweetness upfront but it is sharply followed by a firm, but not overpowering bitterness. Pear, caramel apples, and what I would imagine a bouquet of flowers would taste like are all present here.

Moderate body and lightly carbonated really help this beer show it's best qualities with a slightly drying finish. Overall I really love this beer. It's quite nice.

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.