Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

(Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros

phorestfreak, Dec 19, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass

Appearance: Ruby red body, cloudy with lasting head that laces nicely long after pour.

Smell: Citrus and hops

Taste: Sweet and spicy start with the bitterness of orange and lemon zest hitting the back of my throat after swallowing. Not as bitter to me as most IPA's which to some might be a negative, but to me is a positive.

Mouthfeel: moderate body, smooth. The carbonation works well with the bitterness at the back of my throat to give me a pleasant tingling sensation as I drink it.

Overall: IPA's so far have not been my favorite genre of beer, but I am beginning to acquire the taste a litte more. I expect an IPA to have some bitterness or it wouldn't be an IPA, but I thoroughly enjoy how the bitterness works in this one. This is the third beer in this special 4 pack that came with the tulip glass and I have liked all of them so far. Good going Boulevard.

peoplewithhands, Dec 19, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

CP20, Dec 18, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

edk218, Dec 18, 2011

beerman999999, Dec 17, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

a: dark orange body with a massive off white head that left large amounts of lacing on the glass as it slowly settled.

s: citrus, floral and pine hops with a touch of malts.

t: citrus forward hops with just a pinch of pine to keep it balanced. also has a nice malt balance to it.

m: good carbonation, oily feel with a medium body. slight bitter finish with out being too dry.

o: very well balanced ipa.

match1112, Dec 17, 2011

trojankeg, Dec 17, 2011

Reagan1984, Dec 17, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

A: A bit darker than expected, amber-red hue...very nice head, lasting long after my initial pour. Hop haze, but very clean.

S: Smells amazing, like Belgian candy sugar, hop aroma is very nice...I'm getting both citrus and floral. Just a hint of malt, enough to make me want a sip.

T: This is very tasty. The hops are in perfect harmony...not too bitter, but more on the aroma and flavor end...Citrus, floral and bit of pine. Again, I'm picking up that Belgian candy, which is nice. There is an underlying flavor I cant make out but it's really working for this beer. Chocolate maybe? Rye? Toffee? Whatever it is its damn good. Really makes this IPA stand out from the rest.

M: Perfect, don't change a thing. Not too bitter, not too sweet, perfect balance of malt flavor with the hops, nice carbonation.

This is the kind of beer that makes you want to drink another, and another, and another...Really nice job with the balance, the flavor and drinkability. Deserves the "A" I'm giving it!

brewtechnik, Dec 17, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

Huntbuc, Dec 16, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +3%

750mL bottle poured into a NB globe. Best by March of 2012.

Big booming foamy head with good retention. Sticky lacing on the glass. Body is a nice amber with a bit of haze.

Nose is nice and bready with a great citrus and pine hop aromas. Smells like a fairly balanced DIPA.

Yup, nice and balanced. Doesn't try to bombard with bitterness but still is able to showcase the different hops.

Medium body and carbonation, crisp finish.

The first beer I've had from these guys and I'm digging it. Very good DIPA and one I would have again.

BennyL1, Dec 16, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -2%

From a 12oz bottle
Best by 05/02/12

Pours into my Boulevard chalice with a good size off-white head, sticks around for quite awhile too while bubbles from the bottom of the glass continue to rise up, color is amber with a slightly hazy look, hardly any lacing though.

Smell is primarily citrusy hops with a caramel backing.

Taste starts out with a malt front surprisingly, a piney bitterness then comes onto the tongue and finishes dry, carbonation is soft and a too much, it often explodes and fills the mouth, while it does add to a creamy mouthfeel it's also a bit distracting.

Overall, a solid DIPA, glad it was part of the mix pack I bought and that I didn't go with a large bottle though.

deltatauhobbit, Dec 16, 2011

whyphilosophy, Dec 07, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

JohneHoodlum, Dec 07, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Deepish copper color with a lovely creamy foamy head. I overpoured a little bit and it left me with a large head but it was really attractive.

S - Mild dried fruit, slight caramel & brown sugar, a bit of earthy bread in the back.

T - Dominated by the hops up front. Piny, earthy, just a little astringent at first and then I get a lot of apricots.

M - Very smooth, coats the tongue nicely, and not overly bitter to finish. It seems like they have opted for more flavoring hops then straight out bittering hops. If that makes sense.

O - A nice DIPA. I really love the Smokestack series from these guys and this didnt disappoint. I seem to recall it tasting differently at the ACBF and I hit Boulevard first.

dawatts, Dec 07, 2011
Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.