Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,582 | Reviews: 789

3.11/5  rDev -21.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Liquid is hazy and similar to a honey color; it glows when held up to the light. Not too aggressive on the pour but an off-white colored head came and erupted its way to the top of the glas and you really had to be a little careful during the pour. A good, above average looking IPA.

Smell is pretty good, more average than anything I suppose. Well malted, caremal malts reign supreme here in the nose. Citrus hops present mixed with alcohol. More alcohol than citrus though.

Taste is on par with the smell. Plenty barley here, mainly caramel malts which makes it reasonably sweet. Citrus hops more present here, but so is the alcohol. The 8.5% is not only detectable, but I probably would have guessed that or higher.

Mouthfeel isn't bad. A decent balance between bitter and sweet. A good carbonaltion level and it's warming to the mouth (and then the body). More of a winter IPA in my opinion, not one I'd have in the summertime. Starts swet and smooth and finishes with a slight bitter tite. Not bad, but not a regular IPA or DIPA in my opionion.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.92/5  rDev -1%

A: Pours a nice caramel color (almost brown) with two full fingers of an off-white head that lingers for quite a bit. I'm actually a bit surprised with the color. It's way darker than I would have imagined. As the beer drinks, there is some great lacing left on the glass.

S: My first impression is citrus, pine, earthiness, and malt. There is also a spiciness to the nose that is unmistakable. I'm a little disappointed by the lack of overwhelming hop aroma, but the best by date is 03-2012, so I can't be that surprised.

T: The beer starts off with a nice kick of citrus that then mixes well with the malt character of this brew. The even pairing of flavors last to the finish. The finish is bitter pine and some spice.

M: Medium bodied beer. The hops hit the palate and move aside pretty quickly, but come back in the finish. There is an almost stinging quality to the lingering flavors of this beer.

O: I think this is a decent DIPA, but I was expecting a little more from the hop end. I understand that this bottle is getting close to it's "too old" date, but I feel like it should still have present some more citrus aspects. If you are a hop head, you should just pass by this offering.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Golden, amber color. Well carbonated. Two fingers of head on the pour take a long time to dissipate. Lots of lace up the side. Very complex aroma, with floral, hoppy and licorice notes. Caramel malt also comes through. Very strong, alcohol taste, with well-balanced bitterness and sweetness. Finishes bitter. Lots of body and lingers in the mouth for some time. Overall, an enjoyable beer.

3.62/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into Boulevard tulip glass

Amber gold color, very hazy with lots of carbonation bubble, brownish off white head.
Light airy aroma, musty hops and earthy notes dominating, light hints of tropical fruits
Taste starts with a sweet fruitiness, malt body really shines before bitter hops appear, very well balanced with lingering fruity hops.
Medium bodied mouthfeel, carbonation is very notable
Overall, a very good DIPA, on the sweeter side of the style, surprisingly drinkable and well balanced.

3.41/5  rDev -13.9%

Boulevard Double Wide IPA pours a clear copper/amber color with a big, massive rocky head on top. The foam dissolves slowly leaving clumps of lace on the glass.

The aroma is sweet and fruity. Notes of cherry, citrus, caramel malt and biscuit.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is soft on the palate, slightly chewy with mild carbonation. The flavor is sweet and fruity with some citrus mixed in. It begins with cherry and peach, followed by some biscuit malt. At the end some hop bitterness moves in with a flavor of orange citrus. Once gone the cherry and hop bitterness lingers on the palate.

The flavor isn't what I expected for an Imperial IPA. I thought it would be more hoppy than malty. It's almost boderline barleywine in flavor and mouthfeel. I wonder if I bought an old bottle?

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from their 12oz bottle...

Appearance - Wow, poured 3 fingrs of lite apricot colored head, color of the beer is a gorgeous hazy coppery orange red, tons of bubbles within. Head diminishes to a solid 1-2 fingers of thick shaving cream, incredible lacing going on here.

Smell - Floral and citrussy hops, some apricots and peach, candied grapefruit.

Taste - Oh my goodness, honeysuckle and semi-sweet floral hops, all sorts of citrus, semi-sweet grapefruits, tangelos and peaches, some dried apricots too. The center sweetens just a touch with vanilla carmel and citrus. The finish is a nice transition to dried light colored fruits, grapefruit peels and a touch of pine. Floral hops and citrus flavors linger long into the finish, with sweet citrus pockets in the corners of the mouth. I'm even picking up some belgian yeast spiciness faintly in the background, just a touch of funk on the breath between sips. In a very good way.

Mouthfeel - Medium, smooth and juicy. Carb adds the slightest edges at the sides of the tongue, and adds a nice fruit peel tartness flavor. There is a nice dryness in between sips.

Overall - This is an extremely floral and citrussy DIPA. Like being in a field of fully bloomed flowers and citrus trees. The flavors are many and complex and nicely balanced. I keep looking at the glass too, such a beautiful beer to look at. Not a hop bomb, but if you like floral and citrus hops this is a must try. I really enjoyed this, definitely recommend a try.

4.83/5  rDev +22%

"Hops rip the roof off Double-Wide I.P.A., their aroma redolent of apricot and piney woods. Caramel malts balance a whirlwind of citrusy bitterness, winding down to a long, serene finish."

I had a 22 oz caged and corked bottle of this about 4 or 5 years ago and really liked it. I saw a little 12 oz bottle while on Thanksgiving vacation in Indiana and bought a couple; one for me and one for my dad. Best before date of 2.24.12 although I was hoping to enjoy this one sooner.

Out of the bottle and into a New Belgium globe, this one looked stunning. Almost a ruby red in color with a huge, billowing and foamy egg-shell colored head. The lacing is spectacular and the retention is about the best one can expect: the one finger sized head lasts for the entire consumption.

As the label predicts, apricots and pine in the nose, although the pine seems the more dominant and noticeable and the duo. Slightly sweet form the malts with light tropical fruits.

The first time I had this, I didnt think the bitterness was high enough. Either my buds have changed or they have upped their game because this one is bitter and very well balanced. The apricot/peach hops are in perfect unison with the slightly sweet and cracker like malts. Medium to full bodied, perfectly balanced. Alcohol is very well hidden.

I have been on a West Coast IPA kick, but if all East Coast IPA's were like this, I would be hard pressed to make a firm decision. This is perhaps the best I have ever had of the East Coast class (yes, including HopSlam).

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

Love the dark golden hue on this DIPA. Strong lacing never, never leaves. Aroma is thick of malt, grapefruit and hops. There is a strong citrus taste but the malt profile really shines on this one. I get a bit of the pine and some grapefruit along with the strong malt backbone. It is somewhat refreshing to have a DIPA that is put together this way. This is a fresh bottle and damn it good. Very easy to drink and very enjoyable. Love the kiss of bitterness that lingers.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

12 oz poured into an oversized wine glass

Ap- hazy and a dark golden amber. A nice 1/2 inch head has pretty damn good retention. The bottle fermented yeast floats around this bad boy like it ain't no thing.

Ar- heavy grapefruit and oily hops. A little bit of pine and some other citrus notes show up too.

T- The first thing I notice is how malty this DIPA is. There is a good balance of biscuity malts and grapefruit/citrus hop flavor. May be a little TOO malty though for a DIPA. I also pick up some grassy, earthy flavors.

M- Bubbly with a medium, sticky body. A great hop oil resin sits in the mouth after the swallow.

O- I like this beer a lot. The appearance and the mouth where the best parts of this beer for me. Finally a beer from Boulevard that really impresses me.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.