Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,579 | Reviews: 789
3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Best by 2/24/12.

Appearance: rich amber-copper hue with lots of apparent effervescence and a fair bit of haze. Head is a thick finger of frothy light-tan foam. Nice.

Smell: strong-ale type aroma of hops, big, sweet malt, and alcohol. Hops are piney, resiny, vegetal and a little bit citrusy. It's not bad.

Taste: strong flavor -- plenty of caramel malt and a notable alcohol taste. There's a big strong bitterness here too, but I feel like the hops lose a little bit of their character -- it's altogether too messy. I like it well enough, but it just doesn't tickle me like a beer of this size should.

Mouthfeel: big body and good carbonation yield a highly creamy and delicious mouthfeel -- especially for a strong IPA like this. Absolutely wonderful.

Overall: this beer is hit and miss for me. It's not bad, by any means, but I feel like its flavor really gets muddled and it loses cohesion.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Best by 07.08.2011. Consumed 12.08.2010.

Pours a dark and murky ruby-amber with a thick and long-lasting foamy-creamy light tan head. Nice lacing all around.

Piney hops and stone fruits dominate the nose, bright and clean and mouthwatering. Toasty caramel malty base holds up the hops well. Fresh lemon zest tops it all off.

Big and rich on the palate; fleshy fruit, piney hops, chewy caramel, toasted bread. Rich malt and sweet fruit up front, fading into a bitter, biting hoppiness. A bit of cocoa on the back end adds a nice balancing earthy touch, alongside a hint of citrus peel.

Full bodied and firm--there's a lot of malt packed in here. Thick and rich and chewy. Plenty hoppy, but a bit malty version of the style.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Pours a hazy orangish-rust color with a ton of fluffy off-white head. Wide spread lacing. The nose is pretty aromatic with malt sweetness, citrus, and pine. The taste has a nice spike of bitterness involved that is wrapped in some fruiter esters and pine. Pretty damn bitter. Likin' it. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and has ample carbonation that makes the DIPA worthwhile to try. overall, pretty decent brew that owns up to its style with good qualities.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

From notes. Poured into a tulip.

Appearance- Pours an amber/orange with 2 fingers of creamy off white head. Great retention with tons of sticky lacing left behind.

Smell- Citrus, particularly grapefruit. Pink cotton candy, and a nice malt sweetness at the end.

Taste- Citrus, lemongrass, some pine, with a saltwater taffy flavor as well. Caramel malt towards the finish, with lingering caramel and pine on the palate. Smells much better than it tastes.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, with great carbonation, slight alcohol on the finish.

Overall- It was pretty decent, mouthfeel was great, but it had sort of some strange things going on. The cotton candy and taffy, was well, unexpected.

3.55/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Aroma is fairly strong, hoppy and woody. It pours a clear coppery brown with a very thick and fine-bubbled, if not too persistent, off-white head. Flavor is hoppy with woody and resin hints and just a whisper of caramel. Bitterness is minimal and not unpleasant. Lively texture is quite fizzy, like just-poured soda, leaving behind a bubbly tingle. Not outstanding, but worthy of a try.

3.53/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: The head builds with that beautiful storm of foam under the cap, some nice C02 action. The white cap starts at about three fingers, and after a minute has only dropped a finger or so. There is a sticky, bubbly lace on the side of the pint glass. It’s a beautiful copper and tangerine color, little rays of sunshine on a really cloudy day, gratuitous streams of bubbles rising to the foam.

Smell: Even as a double wide, the hops are bursting out all over the place. There is the usual citrus smell there, tangerines and oranges. Maybe a hint of the pine that Boulevard said is in there, but I didn’t get much of that on the nose. It’s a very refreshing scent.

If anything, it fails to go the distance because it’s not very bold. You really have to stick your nose in it to smell the intricacies lingering around. It would be nice if it had a little something more to offer, like the pine for instance.

Taste: Not quite a “Wow!” experience, but then again this is my first double IPA, and I mean, the hops are packed in there! The pine flavor is on the tongue as much as it wasn’t in the nose. It mingles well with the citrus feel, although it isn’t really pronounced.

I’m surprised I do not taste alcohol at all in this 8.7% offering. I haven’t decided if this is a good or bad thing yet. Good, because it takes nothing away from the flavor, bad because I am going to be inclined to drink more than one.

Mouth feel: The mouth feel is borderline medium / light. The thing that dominates the mouth feel experience, however, is the bitterness. Hop heads will rejoice at the Kapow! factor of this beer on the chops. Again, this is my first double, so my excitement may be getting away from me.

If I have any gripes, it’s that the bitter after taste dances with an almost wheat, cereal like finish. I would have preferred to get more of that citrus and pine punch in there. It’s a regular gripe of mine, but get some of that nose into the actual flavor profile. Don’t just give me hop bitterness, give me everything else!

Overall: Even though I am a complete novice with the style, as I am with beers in general yet, I thought this beer delivered what it promised. An IPA stuffed to the max with hops. If this is a problem though, it’s that the hops aren’t really given any company in this double wide.

Yes there is citrus, yes they threw in some pine notes to try to keep it interesting, but it doesn’t quite work. Surely a beer that is so liberal with its hops could find that X-factor to really make it great? Let a twister rip this double wide up, maybe what is found in the aftermath will produce something better than what was there before.

4.01/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a unfiltered amber color into my ccb pint glass. Great 1 finger head retention and beautiful lacing. Aroma of citric and piney hops with some malt to try to balance this dipa. Taste follows the nose, more complex than the average ipa. Bitter but keeps me coming back for more. This is a exceptional ipa. I'm beginning to believe the when it comes to boulevard, the smokestack beers are where its at!

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

750ml caged/corked bottle poured into DFH Signature glass. From notes 7/16/11. Special thanks to eclipse54 for this one.

A: This one pours a deep amber color. Tons of carbonation with the bottle conditioning. I got a solid 3 finger head, unreal! Thick huge big bubbles in the frothy head. With big bubbles come some sticky lacing.

S: I get some piney hops from the nose with some big malt base. I might have let this one go a little too long prior to drinking. Maybe a little bit of booze? The nose is a little muddled.

T: I get a lot of bready maltiness on the first sip. Their is some hop character, obviously, but sweetness overwhelms. I don't know if it's the bottle or the fact that I'd destroyed my palate during the day with tons of WC IPAs.

M: Medium to full bodied DIPA.

O: I think this brew would have been better as a stand alone DIPA tasting. I think either I killed it with my tasting or the age might have killed it. I'd love to try it again, and possibly a little fresher. Appearance doesn't match the taste and overall.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

I had this from a small bottle -enjoyed from a tulip chilled.

The appearance is light golden apricot with a mix of sunny amber, the cap is small and white and the bead is fine with slight lace collection. The smell is very citrus and apricot with light tropical accents from the fruity yeast. The feel is good with moderate bitterness and mostly dry texture with some astringency and rind-like quality with gentle pepper tinges.

The taste is good with mild grassiness and some almost lemony citrus zing with a light sweet tropical fruit essence in the background, the malt plays a secondary role with some light spice notes from the hops, but they are primarily fruity/citrus tinged. Overall this is a decent double IPA, I didn't notice any alcohol and the emphasis on hop flavor pushes it which is a quality I admire. I think it is pretty astringent which is the only aspect I would knock it for.

3.03/5  rDev -23.5%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: copper orange with a 1 finger white head

smell: caramel, malts, hops,

taste: caramel, malts, some hop profile

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: not the best balanced DIPA I've had but glad I got to try it anyways.

Cheers,
The CPJ

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a cloudy dark copper color with tons of beige head on it. Lacing is pretty good as well.

Smell is incredible. Great hop aroma. Some nice citrus and pine notes too.

Taste is more balanced than I anticipated. Maybe it had been on the shelf a little while though. Very good bitter hop flavor. In the body and finish hough. Some spice finish as well.

Mouthfeel is light-medium. Very smooth and easy to drink.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. I'd love to drink it again. Unfortunately its no longer distributed here but I'd love to trade for it.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a cognac sniffer, and produces three fingers of thick tan head, and has a hazy copper colored body.

The aroma is floral and piny, but has a good strong sweet toffee malt backbone.

Hops rule the taste Very piny and lemony. There is a hint of caramel hops.

Chewy, syrupy, warming to the palate sum up the feel of this brew.

Overall a great brew. A little warming, which would make this more enjoyable in the winter.

4.26/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Rich, fairly dark amber with loads of suspended yeast. Huge, frothy, cream colored head, which looks like it belongs on a root beer float. Head mostly dies down after a couple minutes. Doesn't really look like a DIPA, but a very nice appearance nonetheless.

Smell: Caramel, citrus and toasted bread - not as much going on as I had hoped.

Taste: Huge amount of citrus and apricot upfront over a nice layer of caramel malts. Quite bitter finish, with lots of pine and spiciness.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium to full body, quite creamy and extremely dry.

Overall: Delicious and wonderful. The aroma is weak, but the taste and the mouthfeel more than overcome it.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Big thanks goes out to Jerriko for sending me this one as an extra in a past trade! Bottled 03/11, Batch D10064. Served from bottle into a Green Man snifter. Poured a deep red-orange with a three finger cream colored head that subsided to one and a half finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, caramel, sweet alcohol, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, caramel, citrus hop, earth, and bitter hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. The hops on mine were a little muted, but it was a little old by IPA standards when I got around to drinking it though. Still good though to be fair. I would love to try a fresher one as the malt by itself was a little abrasive and really needed some bitterness to help balance it out. Still worth trying if you get the opportunity to do so.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

A - Pours a hazy dark amber color with a nice, full 1 inch solid white head.

S - I'm not getting much of the normal citrus notes that are usually present in a DIPA. Not much overall in the aroma.

T - Not as hoppy as most DIPAs but standard citrus notes are present with a lot of sweetness.

M - Very good carbonation.

Overall a good offering but not the best dipa ive had, ill need to come back to this one.

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

On-tap. Served in a tulip glass.

A- Hazy orange with a fluffy two finger head. Leaves small amounts decent amount of lacing

S- Citrus hops with some sweet caramel and bready malt, pine and floral notes.

T- Grapefruit, mandarine and lemon zest upfront, followed by some pine, pineapple, pepper and a fairly large amount of bready malt.

M- Medium carbonation and body with a crisp mouthfeel. The 8.5% is hidden well.

O- While it was a decent DIPA, it was a little too sweet for me. The bready malts took charge over the citrus and floral notes. Worth a try, but I'm a bigger fan of their other offerings such as the Sixth Glass.

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%

Picked up a 12 ounce bottle at Whole Foods , Austin.

Appearance is a hazy amber tone with a good sized head. Smell has citrus hops, malts, lemon. DW tastes of caramel, hops, black pepper. The hops are not overboard, especially for a DIPA. MF is medium with decent carbonation. If you come across this, it is worth trying, but I did not find it to be exceptional.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle into a Palm tulip. Best by date of 10/18/11. Love the label/bottle.

A - Deep red/amber in color. Massive dirty seafoam head

S - Tropical fruits, piney hops, sweet malt, and some light herbs/spices. Nice balance.

T - Citrus and papaya, some bready maltness, some mint and spices. The finish is fairly bitter but not over the top. Pretty tasty.

O - Like other reviews have said, this is not a hop bomb which the style tends to levitate towards. Still a really solid beer and worth a try. Glad I have 3 more to enjoy.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Poured a very hazy burnt orange with 2.5 fingers of khaki colored soapy/cloud like head that EXPLODED to the top of this beer when I poured it.

The smell was a little week for me considering the style, but what I did smell I liked. Very tropical citrus forward with some pine in the background with an very subtle caramel malt background. I feel like I am getting some mint and tobacco notes as well....

The taste follows the nose quite nicely. This isn't quite the hop bomb that I was wanting to get from a Double Wide IPA but it is a tasty brew. Nice tropical notes and a more prevalent caramel malt background.

Medium bodied with ample amounts of carbonation. Leaves a very dry hop aftertaste. I find it very strange how this beer is producing such strong hop dragon breath....

Overall, I thought that this was a tasty brew. Considering that I find this to be one of the most competitive styles I am grading it very stingily. I would definitely drink this beer again and its worth a try for sure but there are better DIPA's that are easier to attain than this one.

3.3/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Medium amber color with some haze. Tan head dissipates to a single layer cap, minimal lacing.

S: Got a lot of dank earthiness, some pine.

T: Earthy, metallic type hops were immediate. Finishes with more pepper, and a clean malt profile.

M: Solid medium body, good carbonation.

O: Solid brew, but doesn't do much to stand out in this category.

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%

APPEARANCE: Deep copper with a hint of red. This is a very hazy beer with a thin, off-white head resting on top which had pretty decent retention and excellent lacing.

SMELL: A mildly floral aroma with hints of spice. Not an overwhelming aroma, but not bad.

TASTE: This is certainly a different DIPA than most. The floral flavors from the nose only linger in the background while a strong spicy and hoppy flavor dominates. The tail end of each sip also smacks you with a dose of bitter before washing away. Interesting and a nice change of pace for a DIPA, almost seems like more of an imperial red.

MOUTHFEEL: Strongly carbonated and very sparkly. The bubbles in this beer cleanse the palate after each sip. It is also surprisingly light for such a high octane beer.

OVERALL: This is a very easy drinker for 8.5%. If I didn't know any better I would guess it was more like 6.5%. This is a solid beer.

4.83/5  rDev +22%

Smokestack Series.

Well carbonated, evident from the crack of the cap.
Smells terrific, even before the pour.
Pours amber color with dense head.
Orange, citrus nose. Tangy taste. Lingering dry hop aftertaste.
Perfectly balanced, easily drinkable.
This is the best Boulevard beer I've ever had.

Poured aggressively into my nonic. Bad mistake. Generous head quickly overpowers the pint glass and I have to wait to finish the pour.
Dark brown/red cloudy appearance. Nice bronzy head retention. Smells nicely tart.
Taste, pine and citrus. Nothing overpowering but somewhat lacking in malt balance also.
Overall though, a good beer. I enjoyed it a lot and will definitely have another.

3.71/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12 oz (355m l) bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass (June 18, 2010). "BEST BY 10/18/2011" is stamped on the glass neck.

Eyes: Pours a very hazy burnt orange color. Head is abundant, as is retention and lacing. A beautiful looking beer.

Nose: A nice strong citrus profile, less malty/caramel than the darkish, hazy appearance would suggest.

Tongue: It follows the nose in terms of the strong citrus hops, orange, lemon, grapefruit, even some peach in there. Despite the good start, this is just too bitter. Don't get me wrong, I'm a hop head who is well accustomed to bitterness, but this is unsupported bitterness. A bit short in this balance aspect, but still a good beer.

Mouth: Nice and smooth, carbonation is perfect, and it isn't very thick, but I think a bit more of that sweetness might have helped.

Libation: All in all a good DIPA for the price, though if I'm looking for a rock solid DIPA that will quench my hop tooth, this isn't the one I'll immediately turn to.

2.05/5  rDev -48.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

With one of the classiest names in the biz, it's no doubt that this is sure to entertain and delight with unequivocal ecstasy. It's been awhile since I spent good hard earned money on one of these corked and caged joints and been a bit disappointed. But those days were West Coast days. Now I'm here, a bottle as an extra from my man Peesie. 12oz proprietary (unnecessary) bottle. First time in this format.
Dark orange with an overly ample plumage. A bit troublesome with the consistency of the pour.
Wonderful metallic and cardboard flavors emanating from the depths of the glass. A little bit of vague hop flavor. Kind've awful to put to my nose. Regardless, and heedlessly, perhaps headlessly, I purse the glass between my lips to achieve the taste. The oxidation of what may be a perfectly fine beverage was exquisite. If that's what they were going for, they did it well. I assume not, and I was unable to have much more than a few ounces. Fortunately, my dear lady, who usually is well-equipped with her tasting acumen, chose to focus on the strong bitterness and the not-overly-sweet nature of the beverage. Pity her soul.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.