Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

On-tap. Served in a tulip glass.

A- Hazy orange with a fluffy two finger head. Leaves small amounts decent amount of lacing

S- Citrus hops with some sweet caramel and bready malt, pine and floral notes.

T- Grapefruit, mandarine and lemon zest upfront, followed by some pine, pineapple, pepper and a fairly large amount of bready malt.

M- Medium carbonation and body with a crisp mouthfeel. The 8.5% is hidden well.

O- While it was a decent DIPA, it was a little too sweet for me. The bready malts took charge over the citrus and floral notes. Worth a try, but I'm a bigger fan of their other offerings such as the Sixth Glass.

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%

Picked up a 12 ounce bottle at Whole Foods , Austin.

Appearance is a hazy amber tone with a good sized head. Smell has citrus hops, malts, lemon. DW tastes of caramel, hops, black pepper. The hops are not overboard, especially for a DIPA. MF is medium with decent carbonation. If you come across this, it is worth trying, but I did not find it to be exceptional.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle into a Palm tulip. Best by date of 10/18/11. Love the label/bottle.

A - Deep red/amber in color. Massive dirty seafoam head

S - Tropical fruits, piney hops, sweet malt, and some light herbs/spices. Nice balance.

T - Citrus and papaya, some bready maltness, some mint and spices. The finish is fairly bitter but not over the top. Pretty tasty.

O - Like other reviews have said, this is not a hop bomb which the style tends to levitate towards. Still a really solid beer and worth a try. Glad I have 3 more to enjoy.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Poured a very hazy burnt orange with 2.5 fingers of khaki colored soapy/cloud like head that EXPLODED to the top of this beer when I poured it.

The smell was a little week for me considering the style, but what I did smell I liked. Very tropical citrus forward with some pine in the background with an very subtle caramel malt background. I feel like I am getting some mint and tobacco notes as well....

The taste follows the nose quite nicely. This isn't quite the hop bomb that I was wanting to get from a Double Wide IPA but it is a tasty brew. Nice tropical notes and a more prevalent caramel malt background.

Medium bodied with ample amounts of carbonation. Leaves a very dry hop aftertaste. I find it very strange how this beer is producing such strong hop dragon breath....

Overall, I thought that this was a tasty brew. Considering that I find this to be one of the most competitive styles I am grading it very stingily. I would definitely drink this beer again and its worth a try for sure but there are better DIPA's that are easier to attain than this one.

3.3/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Medium amber color with some haze. Tan head dissipates to a single layer cap, minimal lacing.

S: Got a lot of dank earthiness, some pine.

T: Earthy, metallic type hops were immediate. Finishes with more pepper, and a clean malt profile.

M: Solid medium body, good carbonation.

O: Solid brew, but doesn't do much to stand out in this category.

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%

APPEARANCE: Deep copper with a hint of red. This is a very hazy beer with a thin, off-white head resting on top which had pretty decent retention and excellent lacing.

SMELL: A mildly floral aroma with hints of spice. Not an overwhelming aroma, but not bad.

TASTE: This is certainly a different DIPA than most. The floral flavors from the nose only linger in the background while a strong spicy and hoppy flavor dominates. The tail end of each sip also smacks you with a dose of bitter before washing away. Interesting and a nice change of pace for a DIPA, almost seems like more of an imperial red.

MOUTHFEEL: Strongly carbonated and very sparkly. The bubbles in this beer cleanse the palate after each sip. It is also surprisingly light for such a high octane beer.

OVERALL: This is a very easy drinker for 8.5%. If I didn't know any better I would guess it was more like 6.5%. This is a solid beer.

4.83/5  rDev +22%

Smokestack Series.

Well carbonated, evident from the crack of the cap.
Smells terrific, even before the pour.
Pours amber color with dense head.
Orange, citrus nose. Tangy taste. Lingering dry hop aftertaste.
Perfectly balanced, easily drinkable.
This is the best Boulevard beer I've ever had.

Poured aggressively into my nonic. Bad mistake. Generous head quickly overpowers the pint glass and I have to wait to finish the pour.
Dark brown/red cloudy appearance. Nice bronzy head retention. Smells nicely tart.
Taste, pine and citrus. Nothing overpowering but somewhat lacking in malt balance also.
Overall though, a good beer. I enjoyed it a lot and will definitely have another.

3.71/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12 oz (355m l) bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass (June 18, 2010). "BEST BY 10/18/2011" is stamped on the glass neck.

Eyes: Pours a very hazy burnt orange color. Head is abundant, as is retention and lacing. A beautiful looking beer.

Nose: A nice strong citrus profile, less malty/caramel than the darkish, hazy appearance would suggest.

Tongue: It follows the nose in terms of the strong citrus hops, orange, lemon, grapefruit, even some peach in there. Despite the good start, this is just too bitter. Don't get me wrong, I'm a hop head who is well accustomed to bitterness, but this is unsupported bitterness. A bit short in this balance aspect, but still a good beer.

Mouth: Nice and smooth, carbonation is perfect, and it isn't very thick, but I think a bit more of that sweetness might have helped.

Libation: All in all a good DIPA for the price, though if I'm looking for a rock solid DIPA that will quench my hop tooth, this isn't the one I'll immediately turn to.

2.05/5  rDev -48.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

With one of the classiest names in the biz, it's no doubt that this is sure to entertain and delight with unequivocal ecstasy. It's been awhile since I spent good hard earned money on one of these corked and caged joints and been a bit disappointed. But those days were West Coast days. Now I'm here, a bottle as an extra from my man Peesie. 12oz proprietary (unnecessary) bottle. First time in this format.
Dark orange with an overly ample plumage. A bit troublesome with the consistency of the pour.
Wonderful metallic and cardboard flavors emanating from the depths of the glass. A little bit of vague hop flavor. Kind've awful to put to my nose. Regardless, and heedlessly, perhaps headlessly, I purse the glass between my lips to achieve the taste. The oxidation of what may be a perfectly fine beverage was exquisite. If that's what they were going for, they did it well. I assume not, and I was unable to have much more than a few ounces. Fortunately, my dear lady, who usually is well-equipped with her tasting acumen, chose to focus on the strong bitterness and the not-overly-sweet nature of the beverage. Pity her soul.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz. bottle, best by 07/30/11

Poured into a Piraat tulip. A massive head formed, causing me to delay pouring the rest of the 12oz. until some of the bubbles settled. This took a long time...the foam has some lasting power. The body is deep orange with ruby lowlights and lemon highlights.

The nose is not the hop bomb I was expecting, but still hop forward. More citrus than piney...lots of fresh fruits with some malty characters in the background.

The taste is even more balanced than the nose suggests. The first flavor is sweet and bready...the sweetness fades but the malty bread hangs around until it is buried by the bitter hop finish.

Medium bodied, very highly carbonated with a super dry finish.

All in all this is a solid offering...easy to drink and refreshing without overpowering your palate.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

A: deep orange/cloudy clay, 2 finger tan head, wonderful lacing!

S: pine, mint, lemon grass, orange rind

T: lemon/orange rind, mint, maybe tobacco part of the earthy pine malt, long bitter STICKY finish, hint of booze

M: med, slight tongue prickbig slick/oily mouth

O: Well done, my 2nd Smokestack beer and very
impressed. The flavor is big, complex and bold.
Many Double IPAs/Imperial IPAs are big citrus or
big pine/bitter. This is actually neither, both citrus
and pine play a role; the minty tobacco is unique.
I wanna gulp it down, but the hint of booziness
keeps my palate in check. I will get this again.

FASCINATING, MUST TRY!

3.62/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: burnt amber with some haze to it. nice foamy head that tapers as you drink, though it stick around til the end. Good lacing.

s: nice mellow fruit notes. A touch of apricot and some dark fruit as well. nutty sweetness with a hint of grass and grain.

t: bitterness up front but nothing like a normal DIPA in terms of hoppiness. Excluding the bitter, this is malt forward. Sweet but the sweetness doesn't have a strong specific flavor...it is just a sweetness. There is a touch of fruit on the finish which is a nice touch and brings it back together. Good, but not really what i expected given the style.

m: huge carbonation on the initial sip. Tapers off into a nice smooth drink with medium body, though little coating. leaves the mouth dry.

o: not a bad beer, but not what i expected. I could have more of these in a row than most other DIPA's...though it would sneak up on me fast...that is for sure. Drinks well for the abv...wish there was more pop in the flavors though.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz bottle that was a souvenir from volunteering at ACBF. The "best by" date has been faded away, but I feel safe in assuming that Boulevard would send some reasonably fresh beer to a festival. This one was poured into my Bruery tulip.

Double Wide pours a burnt orange, lightening at the edges when backlit. The bone colored head is absolutely massive, 4 fingers of foam that comes as close to spilling over the top of the glass without actually doing so as possible. The head retention is decent, and leaves tightly grouped rings of lacing plastered to the inside of the glass. The nose is a little bit dull, which is a disappointment, but has a balance between caramel malty sweetness and citrus and slightly piney hoppiness that's right in my wheelhouse. It's not as absolutely bone dry as some other IPAs, but hops are definitely more in charge than in some more balanced, east coast versions of the style. The flavor follows suit, with a pronounced yet smooth bit of bitterness providing an intermission between malty and hoppy flavors. I was not surprised to find Centennial in the list of hops Boulevard used, as that distinct bitter grapefruit flavor I get (and am not crazy about) shines through. The body is pretty good, fairly middling and it lines up with the slight malt presence of the beer. The carbonation is surprisingly disappointing, given the voluminous head upon being poured. It falls a bit flat by mid sip and really doesn't help the hops truly shine. Boulevard's crafted a very good/enjoyable double IPA, but one that, to me, doesn't quite measure up to the best of the style.

4.16/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Glassware - Tulip
Best by 10/11

A - Pours a hazy dark amber color with a nice, full 1 inch solid white head.

S - I'm not getting much of the normal citrus notes that are usually present in a DIPA. Not much overall in the aroma.

T - Not as hoppy as most DIPAs but standard citrus notes are present with a nice malt backbone.

M - Very good carbonation.

O - A very drinkable DIPA. Be careful because it would be pretty easy to take down the entire 4 pack!

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from their cork capped bomber.

A - Light amber, huge tawny head, good lacing.

S - Is amazing lots of stuff going on here,I feel like I'm out in the garden, pine, evergreen and citrus with some malt scents coming through.

T - Is much more sweeter than I expected, all the flavors from the sniff come through in the taste, definitely get the evergreen coming through along with citrus, nice balance of hops and malt.

M - Oily, medium bodied.

D - This was not what I was expecting, very nice, very original.

3.51/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a beautiful moderately hazy amber color. There is a foamy head of 2 fingers with amazing retention. On the side of the glass in the head, I can see a lot of small bubbles stacked on top of each other like jelly beans in a jar. As the head fades, it looks even creamier and small pockets reminiscent of the lunar surface appear on top of the still thick head.

S: The smell is fruity and incredibly sweet. There are aromas of tropical fruits and citrus.

T: Many of the fruit flavors from the smell are present and simultaneously more subdued yet more intricate. I can taste clearly mango, oranges and apples. This beer is indeed very sweet, though hops provide a bitter counterpoint of grass cuttings and pine. The aftertaste is short and only slightly bitterer than the body of the beer.

M: Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. I can feel the alcohol as I swallow.

O: A very good looking beer. Sweeter than I care for.

4.01/5  rDev +1.3%

Another DIPA into the DFH tulip...

A- Head exploded upon contact with the bottom of the glass, almost like spray insulation, despite a somewhat gentle pour. Very fluffy with tremendous retention. Beautiful ruby in color with a noticeable haze.

S- Sweet malt, rock- or cotton candy. Fresh pine and maybe apricot or peach. Reminiscent of an orange liqueur, maybe.

T- Definitely not a hop bomb. Clean and sweet up front with a gentle piney finish. Faint raisin bread element to it.

M- Silky, full, and rich- which is weird, considering that for that first fleeting moment of each sip, there is a fresh, crisp thing going on that makes you think it might come off dry. Then a velvety richness soaked in fruity juiciness sort of spreads all over your mouth.

O- Very good beer overall. In spite of a weak nose, this beer just keeps getting better the more it warms. You'd never guess the ABV if you didn't know it. I'm pumped that Boulevard finally made their stuff easily available to me.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

12oz bottle, best before 10/18/11, been in the fridge for two weeks. Served in 6oz tasting snifter.

A- Red-orange copper hue. A bit hazy, with lots of tiny bubbles rising to the surface. The rather large tan head rises without falling for some time. It settles with patience and leaves a nice coating of thin foam all around the glass.

S- A burst of tropical and citrus fruits off the bat. Some grassy and piney hops are noticeable, but the aroma on this is very balanced. Some sweet malt to round things out, bubble gum nuances, and the slightest detection of alcohol.

T- Starts rather malty with sweet caramel and toffee notes, until the carbonation kicks in, after which the tingling sensation on your tongue leads to a crisp citrus melange of lemon and orange. This fades into some grass and pine, finishing out with biscuit and toffee malt characters, maybe some chocolate hidden in there too. Really not too much alcohol to discern here, a slight burn after a few sips is really all I notice.

M- The carbonation on this is much more powerful then I expect from a DIPA. The beer is dry, sticky, and crisp, which is typical, but there is something about the high amount of carbonation that has this beer finishing almost like a champagne... weird.

O- I like it. As balanced as the aroma is, the taste draws from a whole other direction. It's a hop blast for sure, and pretty tasty at that. If you can get it I say it's definitely worth the try. I can see myself going back for more which I can do now that Boulevard is available in Chicago. Cheers!

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark copper color with huge off white head. My pour may have been a bit "ambitious" and it overflowed the glass. Still looked nice though.

S - Starting to notice a trend with these American Double IPAs. A nice amount of malt, citrus and Pine. Always grass, nothing too distinguishing from the rest. This bottle was about 3 months old, and had been kept in the fridge the whole time, so I can't see anything "fading" in that amount of time. It's starting to get hard to distinguish one IPA from another.

T - And there is the difference. Big sweetness up front, then bread. Lots of bread. Most have a malty characteristic, but this one is like rye bread. Nice bitter finish.

M - Just OK here. Lots of carb, medium bodied. Alcohol is not present, but maybe that's just me.

O - Decent double. Harder to find, and good presentation in a C&C 750. Had this one a few years back and it blew me away. Now, it falls in line as just a decent DIPA.

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

Thanks to JeepCop for this bottle in our recent trade.

Best by 7/29/11 Poured at 40 degrees F into my great divide tulip.

Pop the cap very nice carbonation!

A: Easy pour down the center of the glass yields a two finger off white head. Nice small bubbles with good legs leaving a nice ring of lacing This one is pretty dark and hazy for a double IPA. Some light coming through but not much, lots of carbonation. After a few minutes a nice ring is still left in the glass.

S: Orangy, lemony, citrus notes on the nose with slight grapefruit. Definitely lots of hops. Also smell some caramel malt.

T: Taste is very good. Not too sweet like some double IPA's with just about the right amount of bitterness. Taste is also of citrus fruits with a lot of lemon coming through. Definitely enjoying this one.

M: Mouthfeel is good. Lots of carbonation very prickly on the tongue. Slightly oily on the lips and teeth. Interesting mouthfeel leaves me wanting more after each sip.

O: Overall this is a very nice double IPA. Not as strong as some of the others out there make this very enjoyable. Could use a little more bitterness however I think this one is very balanced, not too sweet and not too bitter. Doesn't stand up to some of the best double IPA's but definitely a very nice respectable offering from Boulevard.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle ---> Hennepin Goblet

A ~ Poured ever so carefully, yielding a puffy-huge off-white head.
Dark amber.

S ~ Hawaiian fruits, fresh cut grass, Wet Hops (favorite part of brew)

T ~ Aroma Hops right up front, Ripe mango, Tart plums, cantaloupe (new for me) -> lemon, pine, bittering hops -->
Hop oils and booze. Strong finish after warming.

M ~ Similar to a BIPA

D ~ Pretty good. A little off.

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

Finally picked up a 4 pack of this beer yesterday, craving a good, strong IPA/IIPA. Wish I woiuld have grabbed the hop rod or green flash instead. Poured a medium amber color with a big white head (very carbonated; kinda like the single wide). Aromas of apricots, faded hops and caramel. Medium bodied, with flavors of apricots, hops and malt.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks to ILikeBrew for this extra.
12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A: It pours a deep amber color, cloudy with a bunch of yeast and hop sediment. The head is quite substantial with a two finger white foam mushrooming out of the top of the glass. It settles into a foamy pillow on top of the beer leaving behind some spotty lacing.

S: The nose is full of resinous hops; pine cones, grapefruit, and some herbal grassiness. Even with the obvious heavy handed hops the malt shows up well. Elements of biscuits, toffee, and caramel.

T: The hops take hold of the palate with a bitter wave of pine and grapefruit. The malt flavors stand firm with a clear display of caramel malt and toasted bread. It finishes dry and bitter, right on par.

M: Medium bodied with ample carbonation. The hop oils are so thick it gives the illusion of a much heavier beer.

O: I found this to be an good example of a balanced DIPA. The malt held up well to the hops. I wish in the end it were a bit more unbalanced though!

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear 10oz wine goblet. Best by 10/18/11 on side of bottle. Purchased as a 4-pack at Binny's (Chicago, IL) for $10.99.

A: Murky amber with a lot of suspended yeast. Soft 1/2-finger of off-white head that settles to a cap with a ring of intricate lace around the top of the glass.

S: Aroma is strong with resiny pine sap, grapefruit citrus, lemongrass, and some tropical fruit as well. Maltiness is nothing to blow off with solid biscuit and toffee presence.

T: More bitter in flavor than the nose suggests, but very good all the same. The bitterness recedes some as the maltiness tries to catch up. Hops still dominate with grapefruit, pine, floral, and grassy components. The bitterness is still a tongue smacker. Malts are crackery and biscuit with some token caramels thrown in.

M: Nicely coating, paramount for this style to be drinkable, and with low-medium carbonation.

O: A very nice DIPA that just misses the tier of the real top performers in the balanced DIPA group (GD Hercules, ST Unearthly). Still, I am glad I got the chance to try for sure.

Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.