Double-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Double-Wide I.P.A.Double-Wide I.P.A.

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

The classic India Pale Ale is a traveler’s beer, aggressively hopped to withstand the long, hot ocean voyage to the British East Indies. Our Double-Wide I.P.A. also travels well, and is right at home in the most exotic ports of call of the Midwest. While this modern-day prairie schooner may not resemble a graceful sailing sloop, our liberal hopping regimen does make her virtually “twister-proof,” with toffee and caramel notes balancing out the lingering bitterness. Enjoy this beer fresh to best appreciate the complex blending of hop aromas, ranging from minty to citrusy, with subtle hints of pine.

(Beer added by: SafeAtFirst on 11-17-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros

Okisailor, Aug 14, 2013

VAcrossr, Aug 14, 2013

Hopheadjeffery, Aug 13, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a deep murky amber color with a big two finger frothy head that's nice and rocky. Head falls slow with lots of nice lace on my goblet.

Aroma is nice rich deep caramel malts with nice deeply embedded hops fruity notes mingled with pine and tobacco.

Taste is nice rich malts dripping with caramel and brown sugar. Good ops show up after initial malt sweetness. Hops are nice but deep embedded in the malts grapefruit notes, pine and some tobacco with lingering hoppy bitterness. Nice well balanced I2PA good malt backbone with plenty of hops to add some kick.

Mouthfeel is big medium approaching full but carbonation lightens it up some.

Overall its nice great malt backbone but huge amount of hops also but not hop forward as some I2PA's. Only 8.5% but swear it tastes higher but not due to alcohol burn as alcohol is well hidden.

mntlover, Aug 13, 2013

RussBeercier, Aug 12, 2013

JISurfer, Aug 12, 2013

Rbodacious, Aug 11, 2013

seanchai, Aug 11, 2013

danthehopslamman, Aug 11, 2013
4.54/5  rDev +14.4%

Licorice! Wow. Creamy head with nice bite on the start. Stands up nicely to a cheddar with caramelized onion. Hoppy throughout, with a chewy finish - Would be great with a burger, and other powerful flavors. Surprising in the body - a great choice for a cold day.

JanetCDavis, Aug 10, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -19.9%

Dark color. A really flat smell to my nose - no fruit and flowers. Lots of fizz in the mouth with very little fruit. Flat, dark flavor. Bitter but not with much fruit. Better with food than straight. Overall, I find this beer disappointing when compared to alternative IPAs. Clearly, my opinion isn't in line with the majority of reviewers. I like other Boulevard brews -- like Tank 7 for example. Oh well, beauty is in the eye and mouth of the sampler...

Wyattldavis, Aug 10, 2013

smccann, Aug 06, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

alwaysplayin, Aug 04, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -16.9%

A: so this looked more like a quad than an IPA. My glass showed more brown than orange. Still pretty just not what I'm used to with other IPA's

Smell: it smells great. Lots of citrus and floral. Makes my mouth water. Really a nice aroma. A little malt in there as well.

Taste: so the initial hit is hoppy but that quickly dissipates to a malty aftertaste. I would like the floral a d citrus to be a little stronger and last longer.

Mouthfeel: pleasant, light.got a little sticky but not in the classic IPA sense. More because of that malt.

Overall: this was a good beer. Boulevard makes great beer. But this is not among their best. When I see an IPA I the 8% abv range, I think more hoppy and less malt. So the malt coming forward disappoints me a bit. In the end, I would drink this again, but when I compare to other favorite IPA's, like Bell's Two hearted or Ballast Point Sculpin, I don't really think I would choose this first.

Dcunicelli, Aug 03, 2013
Double-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.