Long Strange Tripel - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Long Strange TripelLong Strange Tripel

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Tripel |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: homebrewhawk on 11-24-2007

Lately it occurs to us that if, back in 1989, you planned on starting a brewery in the back of your carpentry shop, you'd been wise to seek out someone like Harold “Trip” Hogue. A collector of ancient Volvos, Trip was well qualified for the make-do engineering required to coax recalcitrant equipment out of retirement and into making the first Boulevard beers. Today, he is our longest-tenured employee. We offer this rich, golden Tripel in grateful tribute to dedication, everywhere.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Long Strange Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 449 | Hads: 1,468

Wow. I found this in my supermarket, which will remain nameless, for $10 a four pack. This is one of the best beers that I have ever had, AND THEN I find that the Bros. gave it 100pts. Their description is perfect. I wish I hadn't read it before I wrote my review, because now I don't know what else to add. The smell is divine with fruit and malt and everything as it should be. It poured just like a good beer should, with plenty of sticky head backed by a subtle and subdued carbonation factor that was pleasant in the mouth and the nose. All of the tripel flavors are there and in full force. What is wrong with this beer? Nothing. I love the effort, I love the concept, I love the homage, and I wish I has been born Trip Houge and been able to live up to this gift. I hope that my life can one day be summed up in an offering such as this. Reach out your hand if your cup be empty. Hopefully, some king head will fill it with this. (936 characters)

What a cheese ball name...and I love the Grateful Dead so I had to try this latest punnery...OH MY GOD...what have I in my paws but the most delicious Tripel I have ever tasted. The alcohol so well hidden and such a complex flavor, a unique color. This this trip was better than the one at the Alpine Valley shows where myself and these three girls ended up in my tent and ...went to sleep. Great shows though, and great beer! (426 characters)

Appearance: Hazy golden orange, cloudy, with a two finger white frothy head that leaves beautiful lacing on the glass.

Smell: Orange, citrus, clove, bread/yeasty, banana.

Taste: bread, banana, belgian yeast, slight spicing with cloves, and light well-harmonized fruity notes. Finishes dry and crisp and most amazingly of all, it does not have a heavy alcohol taste even though it is 9.20% ABV. It tastes rich yet it is also supremely light, crisp, and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Dry, carbonated, crisp, light.

Overall: Full disclosure, this is one of my all time favorite beers in the world. I tried it for the first time two years ago when I was visiting a friend in Utah and it has haunted me since. I've had the pleasure of its company only twice since we first met. If anyone knows where to find it in NYC, please let me know. If you see it at a store, take it home with you. You won't regret it. (904 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

grabbed a .750 bottle only a month away from its best by date.

Appearance: Poured a thick triple finger head that dissipated in a couple minutes to leave trace amounts of carbonation

Smell: white grape and apricot a little yeast but not much

taste: found that this one needed to relax in the glass for a couple minutes. Carbonation is a little much at first but 3-4 minutes in it settled and complicated. Very balanced beer still pick up on the soft fruits

Mouthfeel: What i would expect from a triple. Light and refreshing. Winelike

Overall- This american triple beats many Belgium that I have had...Hands down...With that said 90% of my beer intact is a form of Belgium style (683 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +18.4%

A fine looking beer with a thick head that lasts a while, ample lacing, a hazy, golden straw color, and rising carbonation bubbles.

Smells quite hoppy, with obvious orange and lemon, fruit, some malts, and plenty of spice. An inviting smell that had me sniffing the glass over and over.

A complex taste barrage of (very) sweet fruits, lightish-medium hops, smooth malts, spicy citrus, a hint of pepper, and a complex, almost earthy background that I can't quite describe, but know I like. You can slightly taste the alcohol, which is usually "bad" in my opinion, but in this case it's of no importance. The strong flavors dance from front to rear on your tongue.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Sweet and smooth, full yet not overpowering, slight bitter aftertaste that's just enough to be nice but doesn't dominate the experience.

Drinkability: 5, see below.

I'm slowly enjoying the entire bottle while writing this review, and I gotta say that this is damn good stuff. Hands down one of the best beers I've had in a decade, and certainly worthy of the highest rating I've given out yet. Thanks to all those who recommended that I try the smokestack series.

And I say all this despite the high ABV, a parameter that I tend to prefer around the 5-6% range (generally, at least for everyday use), and have difficulty with when it's up in the 8.0 and higher range. Not today. This 9% tripel blows that theory out of the water. Delicious, a five on taste for sure, and an amazing 5 on drinkability. Well worth the price I paid for it ($7.50). I can't wait to get another. I'm bringing a couple of bottles of this for special occasions with my closest contacts for sure. (1,670 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

The numerical score above is of my most recent tasting.

Review 1-14-03

This time I'm drinking from a 12 oz bottle (with a regular metal cap) poured into a Boulevard chalice.

Most of what I said before in my 2010 review (see below) still applies. I'm struck this time by how well the brewers have balanced the sweetness with the dry spicy notes. Definitely you can pick up the high alcohol content but the alcohol is not overwhelming.

Lots of fruit, but also lots of shortbread. A little bit of pepper and maybe some other spices. Just a tinge of tartness.

Wonderful but slightly fluffy mouthfeel.

Review: 1-8-2010
AP: 5, AR 4.5, F 4.5, MF 4.5, OA 5.0

An amazing massive beer

Poured from a 750 ml corked bottle into a rocks glass. The beer pours as a wonderfully beautiful golden-honey colored brew with a giant white head.

Fruity aroma. The flavor is rich and sweet, without being cloying. A fair amount of bitter hops help a great deal with the balance. There are some spices.

I haven't had many tripels, so Chimay White is my main source of comparison. This beer is sweeter than Chimay White and has more noticable alcoholic warmth. I still probably prefer Chimay White, but just by a hair.

Mouthfeel is nice. Lots of carbonation but also a nice smooth rich feeling on the tongue.

Overall, I like this beer a lot. Highly recommend it.

Lastly, while this didn't factor into the score, I did love the bottle and the name (but I love the Grateful Dead song in question) (1,482 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Serving Type: Bottle
Appearance: Pale gold color with two fingers of fluffy white head.
Smell: Belgian yeast, banana, pear and spice.
Taste: Light malt, candi sugar and a hint of alcohol.
Mouthfeel: Well attenuated and well carbonated. (235 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

A
White/White/Amber. Almost too white, but not. Thankfully, not transparent when chilled (most likely unfiltered, or minimally filtered). Gleefully translucent. Heavy carbonation. Pouring 375mL of the beer from the 750mL bottle into my tulip glass results in a 3.5cm head that is barely contained by the ample glass. The head dies down quickly to a thin film of bubbles on the surface, but lacing on the glass is prominent throughout enjoyment. It's exactly what I expect out of a Tripel from Belgium.

S
Sweet, mild to moderate ester profile. Slight banana aroma, very slight mild citrus. Sweetness more profound than other estery aromas. This beer is entirely in accordance with the Tripel profile.

T
Up-front light malty bitterness with just barely enough hops to balance it. Characteristic candi sugar flavors are robust, but not profound. No other sucrose/glucose/adjunct presence. Alcohol lingers last on the tongue. 100% in compliance with the Belgian Tripel varietal. Yeast profile tastes very similar to a Chimay yeast strain, but it's not Chimay.

M
Light. Almost too light, so it's perfect for a Tripel. This varietal requires the extensive use of candi sugars. Yet, fermentation is entirely complete. Residual sugars are almost undetectable.

O
I'm shocked that a brewery in Mississippi can produce something so akin to the products of the monks of Trappist Abbeys in Belgium. If I had to choose between the Long Strange Tripel, or Chimay White, I'd have to choose both! Will definitely drink this beer again. If there were just ounces more of hops per barrell, I might rank this a pure 5.00. That's pure subjectivity, however--the beer is still world-class! (1,671 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

Bottle ordered from JustPour, poured into Duvel glass...

Appearance: Golden straw color, clear with a lot of effervescence. HUGE creamy white head that lingers for a long time. Excellent lacing throughout.

Smell: Bubblegum and candy, light fruits. Amazing.

Taste: Sweet candi sugar, light fruits, spices. Have I died and gone to beer heaven?

Mouthfeel: Light creamy texture with light carbonation and a slight alcohol burn.

Overall: EXCELLENT beer at a decent price and readily available. (493 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Boulevard Brewing's Long Strange Tripel...WOW!!!

Pours a lovely orange brassy golden color with a large fluffy white head that dissipates to a thin but stable layer that is maintained by generous carbonation.

Perfect balance of sweet and bitter, spiciness from the yeast is distinctly Belgian but not overpowering at all. The phenols and esters find harmonious tension in a very complex brew.

Each sip brings new aromas and flavors as it warms from the mid 30's to room temp. Green apple and pear with a touch of subtle sweet sulphur.

Very dry, the carbonation dances in your mouth.

I wholeheartedly agree with the A rating and will most definitely savor this again.

Now comes the imortant question...anyone got a recipe? :D (733 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 750ml bottle into 16oz mug (mainly because it's the only glassware available to me right now).

Appearance: Pours a bright golden color with a large white head that dissipates somewhat quickly and yields very little lace.

Smell: Melons and mangoes, flowers, spice hints, and a bit of spice. Backbone smells like your typical Belgian yeast. Smells great, and is very potent in the aroma department.

Taste: Sweet, bready malts make up the backbone of this brew with that prototypical Belgian yeasty flavor really shining. Gets fruitier toward the finish- white grape, pineapple, and hints of apple and lemon. There is a very slight spice alongside bittersweet alcohol flavors at the very end.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with lively, crisp carbonation and a more refreshing finish. A good amount of warming alcohol at the end.

Overall: This beer is absolutely fantastic. The most memorable tripel I have had in quite a long time. (948 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Well my beer buddy from work and I finally made it through the smokestack series at the Brewhaus.

A - Deep burnished bronze with peach-orange highlights. This one is cloudy, deep, and solid looking with a massive four finger head of solid white foam. Lots of lace is left in the Duvel glass the waitress gave me to pour this one into. A really pretty beer for sure.

S - Fresh hops mingle with deep caramel candy and confectioner's sugar. This smells sweet, outdoorsy, and fresh...I could wash my clothes in this stuff.

T - Like the nose, this one is fresh and yeasty with big hop notes all over the place. Worther's Original candy and some fresh juicy fruit notes combine with the hay-like hops and big time booze to make a deceivingly fresh beer that will knock your socks off.

M - Full bodied and boozy with aggressive carbonation that never seems raspy, but keeps the beer lively and fun despite the heavy body and high ABV. Finishes hot and hoppy with a lingering caramel note.

D - Probably my favorite of the series, vying for first place with the Sixth Glass quad. This is outstanding beer that I wouldn't hesitate to drink again... despite the high price (which really isn't that high if you calculate how many equivalent 12 oz 4% ABV beers are in this heavy hitting brew...you really are getting some bang for your buck). (1,334 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into Chimay goblet. Cloudy straw Belgian look with beautiful thick foamy head. Lots of lingering lace down the glass.

Smell is great. Peppery alcohol, hints of orange and maybe coriander.

Taste is outstanding. All of the citrus and spice from the nose is present. Alcohol is well hidden, especially for ABV. A little warm and you definitely feel it, but it doesn't mar the taste. Mouth is a little thin, but this is a great beer.

If you didn't look at the bottle, you would never guess it was an American Belgian. Boulevard nailed it. (556 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this tripel, this was my first, I loved everything about this beer, from the the color, taste and overall drinkabilty... Great beer! I was not used to opening a corked bottle but the effort was worth the wait! I will definately buy this brew again. (265 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The only thing I wanted to say about this beer is that trying a fresh tripel as opposed to one aged, usually due to shipping time, is that it shines a new light on this style for me. The brewer is belgian and I thought this beer was very true to style but the freshness was what makes me love it. I keep trying to keep one and age it but can't seem to stop myself from drinking it. Great beer. (393 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I absolutely loved this. Poured a 3" champagne velvet head with a long life and floating merengues. The body is a hazy gold and the effervescence persists. It smells of Belgian sugar, malt, and a touch of sour. The taste is rich indulgence mirroring all those smells but also adding tropical fruit highlights. Fairly long finish. My only complaint is I don't really think there's anything "strange" about it, but that's just a name. (432 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

Mmmm, this beer be good!

pours a fat head, pretty clean white color.

I smell biscuits, that oh-so-delectible belgian yeast funk and a side of fruit.

Taste is killer, might not be the most complex Tripel, but is is very approachable and has high drinkabilty. I think I could easily finish a whole 750ml by myself, but alas, I guess I can share like a good little beer monkey. Alcohol is well hidden. Damn near perfect in my opinion, but I have always had an affection for Boulevard beers...go Chiefs and Royals!

Try this with an apricot stilton and you will not be dissapointed. (581 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into an over sized wine glass. A cloudy yellowish-orange look nicely complimented by a thick foamy head with a lot of staying power. Citrus and spice smell dominates with a sweet malty aroma underneath. Dry, tangy fruit on the front, malty sweetness in the middle just like the aroma, and warm alcohol at the end. Very nice. Smooth and velvety mouth feel. An outstanding and well-balance tripel. A must try! (414 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful Belgian! yeasty.....weird purple grape taste in there.....dunno what that is but it just tastes great! one of if not my favorite belgian! I like it better then Chimay! and its less money when you can find 4 packs! (223 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Chimay Goblet from 12oz bottle

A- Honey color with a nice amount of carbonation that produces a perfect white head that sticks around.

S- Banana, clove, yeast, bread, alcohol, all mixed up into a symphony of smells. Probably strongest with the clove in my opinion.

T- Wonderful bready malt taste, loaded with cloves banana and that alcohol bite you get with a good tripel. Can't forget about that wonderful belgian yeast funk you get either!

M- Very carbonated but not in a bad way. Goes down smooth

Overall a very good representation of the style, only one I put above it that I have tried is La Fin Du Monde, which full disclosure is my favorite beer I can get locally. (689 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to Freethyhops for the hook-up.

What a great brew... Boulevard's excellence makes me want to visit Kansas City. (That is also the only thing that makes me want to visit Kansas City...)

A - Perfect look for the style, providing you don't pour from a disturbed bottle, or pour with an unskilled hand. Plenty of yeast in this one.

S - Bready-biscuity, green apples and pears and a little nuttiness, plus a pristine mineral quality and sweet alcohol.

T - Even in Belgium, this would probably be an excellent Tripel. Follows the nose. Green apple, big-time, plus a bubblegum-banana bread, and a little alcohol tinge. Cinnamon, green peppercorn, and cardamom nuances are available towards the finish.

M - Very well done. Softly effervescent and light-bodied enough to be refreshing, but full enough to be substantial.

D - This is a fantastic beer. Boulevard is probably the most underrated brewery in the country. (920 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From 12 oz bottle into a Corsendonk tulip glass.
Pours yellow gold with significant head.
Aroma of honey, sweet malts, straw hops and floral notes.
Significant carbonation and mouthfeel.
Flavors of sweet malts, honey, straw hops...with a slight tingling from the carbonation, and a touch of white pepper and pink grapefruit rind. Overall a darn tasty tripel in my book...smooth yet full bodied, inviting yet complex. (416 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours from the bottle a light gold with only a touch of haze from the rising bubbles. The white head starts big, but leaves quickly. A fine aroma of bananas, yeast and spice. The taste follows the nose with lots of banana, apples, yeast and a nice sweetness. The carbonation gives the mouth a light crispness. Simply an excellent tripel that tastes like it came straight from Belgium. (384 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is probably the best beer Boulevard makes. Their Belgian born brew master brings the right amount of tradition to the sometimes overly innovative American brew culture.

Appearance- Poured into a tulip glass with a stark white head, the beer is straw colored with a slight orange hue. Overall a gorgeous beer.

Smell- Bright citrus fruit notes. Mild smell of hay. Alcohol is present.

Taste- Alcohol is on the front. Fairly sweet with mild grapefruit notes. Apple notes and mild floral aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Very carbonated. A little dry. Has a mild acidity.

This is my go-to pizza beer. It tastes incredible with pizza. (629 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy gold color with a massive foamy white head that retains well and produces lots of nice lacing.

The aroma is cloves, bananas, assorted tropical fruits, yeast with spicy peppery notes.

The taste is similar, again, tropical fruits, especially bananas, cloves, pepper but with a nice bready malt background and a bit of pleasant bite in the finish that just makes you want more.

Medium bodied, nice carbonation, smooth and very drinkable. The high ABV is not really noticeable until you've had a few.

Altogether very nice, an excellent and enjoyable brew. Outstanding. (577 characters)

Long Strange Tripel from Boulevard Brewing Co.