Long Strange Tripel - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Long Strange TripelLong Strange Tripel

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Tripel |  9.20% ABV

Lately it occurs to us that if, back in 1989, you planned on starting a brewery in the back of your carpentry shop, you'd been wise to seek out someone like Harold “Trip” Hogue. A collector of ancient Volvos, Trip was well qualified for the make-do engineering required to coax recalcitrant equipment out of retirement and into making the first Boulevard beers. Today, he is our longest-tenured employee. We offer this rich, golden Tripel in grateful tribute to dedication, everywhere.

(Beer added by: homebrewhawk on 11-24-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Long Strange Tripel Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

1.75/5  rDev -57.9%

2.15/5  rDev -48.3%

Served in a tulip. Thanks to my father-in-law for picking up this bottle.

Pours a dark golden color with almost no head. No head on a tripel--are you kidding me? Bad, bad, bad. No good. The nose is a bit of malt with some very light phenols. Taste has a bit of bread with light yeast character. Not impressed. Feel is light with low carbonation. Overall, not impressed. This is nowhere near a tripel, let alone a good one.

2.55/5  rDev -38.7%

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this but I really didn't enjoy much. I can't say it was bad but the Tripel is definetly a different beer style. I have had several of the other Smokestack series and enjoyed them all very well - just don't know on this one right now.

2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

I've reviewed the other beers in the Smokestack series, and been pleasantly surprised. Let's see how this one works out.

Golden orange beer. Less head than most tripels. The carbonation looks nice though.

Lots of ummph to the scent. Little too many cloves and pine trees in the scent for me though. Less fruit and yeast than most tripels.

Ick. Nasty aftertaste. Upfront there's a buttery, boozy, clove taste. The aftertaste is soapy in flavor and consistency.

A big dissapointment. But 3 out of the 4 offerings were decent. They just whiffed on this one.

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

2.88/5  rDev -30.8%

Appearance is a very murky yellow-orange despite being careful to store upright and pouring slowly. A vigorous white head nearly clears the lip of my tulip glass but then settles into about a centimeter of foam for the duration. Aroma has some nice esters of lemon and orange along with the familiar spicy Belgian yeast characteristics. Unfortunately, there are also some distinct fusel alcohol aromas akin to nail polish remover lingering around. Flavors of the same lemon and orange along with a nice balance of sweet malt are quite nice but alas the fusel alcohol overcomes the finish and causes me to curl my nose as I swallow. Moderate hop bitterness and the effervescent carbonation may also contribute to the dominance of the fusels as well. This beer had some great potential but the fusels need to be removed.

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a sparkling apple-juice-yellow color, with a massive, foamy, eggshell-white head. The aroma is an expected combination of light, tart apple-like yeastiness against dry grassy hops. The flavor has a light, bready sweetness and a bit of banana, but it is mostly a very dry, grassy, almost dirt-like bitterness that lingers in an unpleasant aftertaste. The light, very active carbonation plays off this flavor profile, leaving an exceptionally drying sensation in the finish. Overall, I will readily admit that tripels aren't a preferred style for me, but I have been able to enjoy some in the past... just not this one.

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

Purchased at Super Market Liquors in Fort Collins, CO. Man, have they upped their game in the last year with so many new brews and the frequently seen dust on bottles seems to be no more.

Corked and caged 750ml bottle, batch T8249. Looks to be a lot of sediment in the bottle.

Removing the cage and cork, a big pop is heard. It pours a hazy orange gold with easy, a 3 finger head of billowy foam. Plenty of bubbles and I get some sediment in the very first pour.

The smell is spicy and yeasty and lightly fruity and yet, in saying that, there isn't a big aroma here. Good for what it has but I'm hoping the taste is more assertive.

I'm taking my first sip and there's some, no, lots of candy sugar sweetness, some spice with a light dashing of pepper, a good yeastiness and earthy malt flavour, and a light tart fruitiness but the sweet flavour is kind of putting me off.
I think it is authentic enough for the style but the overall taste isn't doing much for me. And..the finish I find is on the bitter side and is as equally annoying to me as the forementioned sweetness. Dang it.

On the light side of medium bodied with lighter carbonation than the look through the glass suggested but still, by no means, lightly carbonated. Great head retention and lacing but seeing yeast flakes in my first pour hurt.

Drinkability? I'm sorry, but this one doesn't do anything for me taste wise because both the sweet and bitter in this brew goes to an extreme that I'd care not to visit again. In fact, I think it's a mess and a very hard to drink brew.
I'm glad I tried it, other BAs think it is good and my hat's off to them, but this isn't one I'd drink again. No slant on Boulevard intended as I find *most* of their brews very tasty and very drinkable. This just wasn't for me.

Long Strange Tripel from Boulevard Brewing Co.