Long Strange Tripel - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Long Strange TripelLong Strange Tripel

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Tripel |  9.20% ABV

Lately it occurs to us that if, back in 1989, you planned on starting a brewery in the back of your carpentry shop, you'd been wise to seek out someone like Harold “Trip” Hogue. A collector of ancient Volvos, Trip was well qualified for the make-do engineering required to coax recalcitrant equipment out of retirement and into making the first Boulevard beers. Today, he is our longest-tenured employee. We offer this rich, golden Tripel in grateful tribute to dedication, everywhere.

(Beer added by: homebrewhawk on 11-24-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Long Strange Tripel Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a tulip glass, had a friend pick this up from Specs in Houston, we don't get Boulevard in this part of Louisiana. Firstly, I'm a big fan of the Trippel style so hopefully I'm not too biased in my review.

Appearance -Orange/ Gold colored, typical trippel color. Poured a relatively big head though that may have been operator error; somewhat thick head stayed laced around the edges.

Smell - A medley of citrus, somewhat hard for me to pinpoint, kind of has a malty aroma as well.

Taste- Very similar and follows the smell, but I get a bit of grapefruit and a slightly hoppy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Not a heavy but moderate and very balanced carbonation.

Overall - There is nothing at all wrong with this beer and a lot of good things going on with it. It is almost a perfect example of the style with a hoppy finish. I really like it and will get my hands on some more and try later.

DPJ3322, Oct 16, 2013

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

GRG1313, Oct 03, 2013

Kmlund, Oct 03, 2013
4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

Single bottle purchased at McNeive liquor in Topeka, KS. "Best by 12/07/13" printed in white on the bottle. Poured into a Tallgrass cervoise glass at refrigerator temperature.

Look: Big three finger head of fizzy, bone colored head. Very creamy looking. Gold colored body. Eventually a cap remained on the beer, though a swirl of the glass quickly brought forth about a finger of head.

Smell: Big Belgian yeast esters. Cloves, banana, pears, oranges, and spice cabinet. Slightly floral. Nice bready malt backbone. Smells like a big beer but no alcohol is noticeable.

Taste: More of those big Belgian yeast esters. Pear, banana, orange, cloves, and spicy pepper. Very sweet tasting. More of that big bready maltiness. Almost like someone added sugar to it.

Mouthfeel: Prickly, creamy body. I'm assuming it's due to the awesome bottle conditioning. It feels like a big beer but it's not at all hot.

Overall: A very nice looking beer with a smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation was spot on. The alcohol was well hidden due to the spicyness and sweetness. It's like it doesn't want you to know. Overall a great example of an American take on a Belgian style.

CowsandBeer, Oct 03, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Wsherry1, Oct 02, 2013

iL0VEbeer, Oct 01, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Brob245, Oct 01, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

ROGUE16, Sep 30, 2013

Poured into a tulip from a bottle with a "best by" date that was about six months ago. Pours a hazy orange-gold with about three fingers of sudsy head. Head recedes to a soapy film that's chunky in parts and lasts for the remainder of the beer. Very nice white lacing throughout. Looks beautiful and funky - kinda this beer in a nutshell.

Smells of yeast and pink fruit, namely guava and passion fruit.

Taste mimics the nose to some extent. Bright, rich and juicy, with guava, lemon, grapefruit, green raisins and honey. All enshrouded in yeasty funk. Seems juicier tasting than a traditional tripel, but there's a buttery richness in the middle that speaks to its heritage. Starts out really bright and dangerously drinkable, but as it warms and mellows becomes sort of buttery, warm and boozy. Very nice, unique, refreshing quaff.

Mongrel, Sep 30, 2013

WanderingFool, Sep 29, 2013

Wow. I found this in my supermarket, which will remain nameless, for $10 a four pack. This is one of the best beers that I have ever had, AND THEN I find that the Bros. gave it 100pts. Their description is perfect. I wish I hadn't read it before I wrote my review, because now I don't know what else to add. The smell is divine with fruit and malt and everything as it should be. It poured just like a good beer should, with plenty of sticky head backed by a subtle and subdued carbonation factor that was pleasant in the mouth and the nose. All of the tripel flavors are there and in full force. What is wrong with this beer? Nothing. I love the effort, I love the concept, I love the homage, and I wish I has been born Trip Houge and been able to live up to this gift. I hope that my life can one day be summed up in an offering such as this. Reach out your hand if your cup be empty. Hopefully, some king head will fill it with this.

StoutCream, Sep 28, 2013
4.09/5  rDev -1.4%

Very flavorful, fairly hoppy tripel that matches if not exceeds my expectations. I continue to be impressed by Boulevard and this beer didn't disappoint at all. It hides the big alcohol very well and manages to even be a pretty easy drinker. Not overly sweet, just a little light in body, yet that's not a problem at all. Subtle hint of spiciness, which goes well with the fruity flavors. A very solid tripel that I will drink again. If not more than once.

Beer-A-Lot, Sep 28, 2013

JTomczak, Sep 27, 2013
4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle poured into perfect pint glass.

Clear golden color with a thick three-finger, foamy pure white head. Strong retention and lacing.

Nice aroma of malty, a bit yeasty, very fruity, faint hints of clove/pepper. Floral notes, banana, maybe a bit of cotton candy aroma.

I though the flavor was very malt forward without being sweet and sticky. The alcohol seemed well incorporated - did not think it was a 9% brew. Slight hints of pepper/clove. Definite cotton candy/bubblegum flavors, mild banana, sort of vague fruit flavors. Picked up some honey flavors as well in the sweetness.

Thought it medium bodied vs. expectation that it would be heavy and sticky. Slightly astringent, but not a palate cleanser. Carbonation was moderate and the overall feel is very rich.

Overall, a highly enjoyable beer. Packed with flavors, rich texture, and I would say dangerously drinkable given the 9% ABV that sneaks up on you.

LeRose, Sep 26, 2013

VeganUndead, Sep 26, 2013
4.09/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Poured into a Chimay Goblet. 1 inch of bone white head. Medium-deep golden color. Head dissipated a bit but a solid quarter inch sat on the top with no dissipation. As I drank and poured more the original bit of head stuck around with more forming on the bottom. The top of the head is a nice thick foamy lock for aromas.

S: Fruity esters come out nicely while still getting the maltiness.

T: Boozy at the start. Each sip you get a little more to the flavor. Good malt flavor, very low in bitterness yet it is not extremely sweet. As I get to the bottom of the bottle it is much more yeasty. Good bread like flavor along with the booze and malt.

M: Very effervescent, without bloating you up like most tripels can do.

O: I do not like belgian tripels too much but I would buy this again.

ZS881107, Sep 25, 2013
Long Strange Tripel from Boulevard Brewing Co.