Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ) - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ)Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ)

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.80% ABV

Beer added by: jdubjacket on 07-11-2008

Based loosely on the Smokestack Series’ The Sixth Glass, this abbey-style quadrupel is separated into a number of oak bourbon barrels where it ages for varying lengths of time, some for up to three years. Cherries are added to make up for the “angel's share” of beer lost during barrel aging. Selected barrels are then blended for optimum flavor. The resulting beer retains only very subtle cherry characteristics, with toffee and vanilla notes coming to the fore.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ) Alström Bros
Reviews: 571 | Hads: 1,987
4.51/5  rDev +7.1%

if you look up fun in the dictionary there's a picture of me holding a glass of this. this is the beer you're supposed to share with friends right before you watch beerfest right?
like a late autumn afternoon with red and orange leaves falling through the clear sky and a little kick in your step. there is some heat but the bourbon feels subdued, giving way to a tart fig dusted by the vanilla fairy. sassy and way too easy, like your sister, she dances all over my tongue before it's too late. and i'm spent.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

750mL caged corked bottle, 1796 of 11248, poured into a Brother Thelonious North Coast goblet.

A - Deep dark orangish-brown, though mildly clear with reddish highlights. Full fizzy head dies down to frothy patches and some hanging lace.

N - Very interesting smells of mild background sour notes over-run by sweetened spice and sandalwood. Light caramel and toffee with just the faintest hint of bourbon, though barely so. Oh, and alcohol.

T - Interesting flavor, a fascinating result of many different tastes blended together. Initial taste came on with some detracting flavors that were a bit tinny and sharp, but these fade some into a more pleasant overall palette. In its most raw sense, it is rather what's expected of the base beer having been aged, a full quad with mild doughy hints and fullness, cut with some sharper alcohol notes and mild sour flavor, all softened again and wrapped up with some warm caramelly bourbon notes. Additional hints of tea leaves, bright fruit (the cherry may well still be in there), nicely balanced exotic spices, and sourness over full grains. A pleasant taste, with a lot going for it, but somehow remaining slightly out of balance, with no true flavor showing through and the rest in mild conflict with each other, though I do notice a very nicely constructed sour and wood exhibition. The alcohol (biggest detraction) seems to give the bitterness a burnt and acrid flavor, even interfering some with the aroma.

F - Fizzy, seeming clean, then thickening to an oilier finish. Medium in body, though sitting a little heavier on the palate, with carbonation that cuts and brightens it a bit. Decent, but not overly pleasant. Filling without being full.

D - I've had this before, with mixed emotions on the overall quality. For this bottle, I'm finding it much too strong in alcohol and bitter in flavor, capped off with a mildly cutting carbonation that seems to interfere with my greater enjoyment of the full rich and nicely orchestrated tastes beneath. A beer crafted from some of my favorite styles and character, done up with an amazing spice display and balance of feel /to overall flavors, but I'm finding this one much less drinkable than I'd hoped, and one I'll gladly sip, but not craving.

Unfortunately, the strong alcohol in this beer is overly present in every perceivable way, and takes away from the otherwise artistry of balance beneath.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

One of those beers first sip "wow" beers. Beautiful dark roasted malts, some oaky, well-moderated bourbon notes and a distinct, fresh cherry juice finish. ETOH burns quite a bit at the finish. This was sampled pretty fresh, and the question would be whether a bit of time would tame the heat or mute the bright cherry flavor, which I found very pleasant. A question I hope to answer someday.

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Sampled this courtesy of barleywinefiend at the central coast BA gathering last night. Thanks Josh!

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Wow! Tons of head on this one, especially for a barrel-aged beer. A full inch on loose, khaki foam sits on top and retains great! Body is hazy and auburn in color; kind of dull. Tons of lacing.

Smell: Watered down bourbon and cocoa. I was having trouble getting much of the smell (had Cuvee de Tomme in the same glass just before), but I'm sure there is a lot to be had in there.

Taste: Chocolate, dark currants, raisins, and bourbon. Great combo of bourbon and quad! Very balanced, very complex. I had to go through this beer kind of quick, but it was lovely. Wish I had more time to break it down...

Mouthfeel: Creamy, kind of oily, dry and peppery. Not too dry or thin from the barrel aging. Mouth coating is excellent. I find no faults. Fantastic!

Drinkability: This is such a unique and beautifully crafted beer. I've already added it to my 'Wants" list. The barrel-aging was done beautifully. A great, great experience! Thanks again, Josh!

A: Poured a deep brownish color with excellent carbonation, dirty white head.

S: Nose is BIG! Booze, dark fruits like figs, plums and raisins.

T: Bourbon and dark, sour and red cherries in there for sure. Taste is BIG and COMPLEX. All of the things I mentioned above plus grapes, vanilla.

M: Big body, well carbonated, a bit sticky and sweet, loads of flavor!

O: The true beauty of this beer is the ability for Boulevard to pull such a big, complex beer together in unison and not have a big, sloppy booze filled mess. This beer was balanced the flavors were not over run or overdone by the bourbon or dark fruits. Well meshed, crafted brew. Very drinkable and tasty mouthfeel. Bravo!

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

750ml bottle (2-2009) pured into my Delirium snifter, BBQ is a chill hazed garnet with a creamy light tan head that leaves foamy lace.

Smell is big sweet bourbon barrel notes, vanilla and coconut, a hint of cherry and very nice richness, that has a clean lightness to it, wow - loving it!

Taste is similar, very sweet, a whisper of cherry and light bourbon flavor without being overly boozy, although the fusels are there, more phenolic though, a sharp plastic note on the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit dry, slick alcohol, which hurts the creaminess of the alcohol and light body.

Drinkability is pretty good, I'm enjoying this beer, it's just not as smooth as would b ideal. A nice balance of big flavor without being overblown and undrinkable. Could stand to be a touch cleaner, but I'm cutting it slack from the bourbon barrel more so then the fermentation.

3.89/5  rDev -7.6%

Been excited to try this one for a while--ever since I saw the Smokestack lineup.

Pours a dark ruddy brown with sand-colored head. Nice lacing, not too much head, good retention. So far so good, I've been excited to try this one for quite a while.

The aroma on this one is kind of a let-down for me. There's definitely a lot going on, and I occasionally get really nice notes in there. The problem is that, taken as a whole, I don't really like it--it's not super appealing to me. Good notes--cherries, oak, yeast, dark fruit, hints of smoke, rich maltiness. Not-so-good notes--must, fusel/solvent, cheese, and some sour notes. I am almost 100% sure that this is not an infected bottle (tastes fine), so I think I just am not that impressed with the nose.

Taste, however, is tremendous. I had no idea really what to expect from this brew--there are so many different things going on. Hints of bourbon, with some alcohol bite, nice cherries (slightly tart), rich maltiness, heavy oak notes. All-in-all a great tasting quad. Definitely not something I could drink regularly, splitting a bomber with a buddy was plenty. Almost suffers from its complexity--there may be TOO much going on here to wrap my head around. Definitely an experience brew, though not necessarily one I would buy again. I am curious as to what a few years could do to this.

It's not as full and creamy as I might want from a quad, and it's a bit thin too. Definitely not that bad though, dry finish. As far as drinkability goes, this one is a tough guy. The aroma really makes the process go slowly for me, and the complexity makes it hard for me to figure this one out. Interesting, I'm glad I had it, although I think that the only way I would want it again would be with some age on it.

3.94/5  rDev -6.4%

Presentation: 750ml caged and corked. Bottle No. 1240 of 11384. Batch Number/Best By Date: I-2009 10/12. Cork was rather difficult to remove and had a very unimpressive slow escape of pressure, as opposed to the enthusiastic "pop".

Appearance: Even with a hard pour, a head does not form. A small amount of foam gathers near the edge of the glass. A dark and slightly cloudy mahogany beer.

Smell: Upfront with light notes of bourbon and cherries with oak wood undertones. Tart cherries are the predominant aroma here.

Taste: Bourbon has definitely left it's influence on this beer. A huge hit of bourbon upfront with the huge sweet malty body, finishing with cherries and a nice alcohol warmth. The beer has an odd bitterness near the end, not sure if it is from the bourbon or the wood.

Mouthfeel: Nice full malt body. Even at 11.8% ABV, it is not a thin beer. The carbonation is low, almost bordering on being flat.

Notes: The beer definitely shocked me at first. It had a lot of bourbon upfront, but wasn't overpowering. The balance between the oak, bourbon, cherries, is very good, however, there is a lot going on in this beer and the Quadrupel base is slightly lost. Overall, it is a good beer. The high ABV is hidden well and I'm enjoying it more as I drink and as the beer warms. The carbonation is my biggest issue. I would like for it to be slightly more carbonated.

3.69/5  rDev -12.4%

A= One of the hardest corks I've ever had to get off. Pours a hazy sort of golden amber color with a nice big three finger head on it that is an off white almost light brown color. The head has some pretty nice retention and really great lacing on it. Looks tasty to me only not quite quad like.

S= I smell a lot of things in this beer with none overpowering the other. There is a small tart cherry presence that reminds me of a sour. I get a little bourbon that seems to have faded a little more since my initial smells. i get a lot of belgian yeast sort of phenol and ester smells. green apple and pear are typical. The bourbon becomes more and more muted the more I smell and the more defined the yeasty smells are yet none is the predominate smell in it. There's a little vanilla and oak coming from it as well but those do take the back seat.

T= Weird. Unlike any quad I've ever tasted that's for sure. There's the cherries that wanna push a sour but never really get to what I would call sour. There is a small bourbon presence that make this is weakest bourbon barrel beer I've had as far as bourbon flavor goes. The belgian yeast comes through in the taste after the sip and sort of rests in the back of your tongue. There's a little dark fruit taste I would typically associate with a quad but not much. This is the weirdest quad I've ever had that's for sure.

M= Dry and puckering like there are some tannins in this beer. One of the dryest beers I've had.

D= Rating this as a quad does it injustice I think. Sure it's highly rated on the site and it's very delicious so I will adjust the score a little but this isn't what I think of when I think quad. Good beer prolly not as great as people make it seem but worth a shot.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Missed out on this beer the first time it was released, but I snagged a couple bottles this time around. Drinking this one fresh, corked and caged bottle nummber 0659 of 11248.

A: Rich, hazy amber color. A full head races up the glass, and almost overflows the globlet. Recedes quickly, leaves just a scant layer on top.

S: Sour cherries, just a touch of vanilla, and notes of wood/oak. The alcohol becomes more predominant as it warms.

T: First sip gives me a good quad taste. Bready, malty, delicious! As it goes down, cherries and more spices come to the front. The finish gives me the first real bourbon taste, as it sits in my throat and give just a little of the burn you'd expect from drinking an 11.8% quad with bourbon aging.

M: Medium bodied, and medium-high carbonation. Drinks thin, not quite what I expected. Still works very well, however.

D: This to me is a great beer to be enjoyed, not guzzled. Would be great with a cigar and sitting by the fire on a cool winter night.

As much as I enjoyed it this time, I can only imagine what it will be like next winter opening one of these with some age on it. A real treat from Boulevard, I would highly recommend!

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Finally! I missed this last time it came to the cities...but not this time. Bought more than a few of these in anticipation of cellaring a few.

Batch 2

Deep mahogany color, with ruby and orange highlights around the edges. A huge, pluming off-white head, thick and creamy with excellent retention is produced on the pour. Sticky lacing is left behind and stays until the glass is rinsed out.

The first thing I notice on the nose is actually the cherries. Sour cherries and other dark fruits such as figs and dates, a nice earthy and woody character also. Big quad base. Bourbon is an afterthought at best, much more subdued than I thought it would be. But it totally works for this. It's definitely not a bourbon bomb, but it's a subtle and complex addition to this already stellar brew.

Taste is pretty much what the nose leads on. Sweet and sour cherries, big Quad base, light bourbon notes, and a woody character. Pretty dang complex and extremely tasty.

Medium to heady in body, with a fairly high carbonation. While the carbonation is a little high, it doesn't take away from the brew because it's light and fine, rather than sharp and crisp.

Drinkability is great, the 11.8% is completely hidden amongst the layers and layers of complexity that this brew has. Extremely tasty and easy drinking.

This is truly a great beer. I really wish I got a chance to try the first batch, so I could make comparisons. I have a couple bottles for the cellar to see how this improves over the course of a year or two. Can't wait to try this with some time on it.

3.56/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy, dark brown color with a lighter amber along the edges and bottom of the glass. One inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of strong alcohol, sweet malt, and slight dark citrus. Fits the style of a Quadrupel. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong alcohol, bourbon characteristics are noticeable, wood, slight sweet malt, and a slight dark citrus. Overall, very strong in alcohol flavor, not well-blended, and the alcohol (bourbon/wood) coats the tongue in a very cloying fashion.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into snifter...

A: Dark amber opaque body with orange hues. Three finger head forms, thick and creamy and falls to one finger where it stays for the remainder of the beer. Sticky lacing left where it does fall. Very nice!

S: Sour cherries, bread, figs, turbinado sugar, faint wood in the background, surprisingly little bourbon is noticed, faint floral hops...expected a little bigger nose.

T: Follows nose with added cherries. Sweet but not cloying, very bready and an excellent yeast profile. This is a fantastic example of a quad, very balanced and complex!

M: Medium to heavy body, bright carbonation but not too harsh. Abv goes unnoticed....

D: At 11.8% this goes down so incredibly smooth. Very nice and very tasty! This is a fantastic beer...if you find it buy it immediately, drink one and lay the other down for awhile...

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%

Got this on a trip to Oregon. John's Marketplace rules. Caged and corked bottle. Poured into oversized wine glass.

A: Dark ruby/caramel color. Finger and a half to two finger off white head. Resides to a slim layer of foam on the top that never disappears. Good lacing too.

S: I'm a lil stuffy so this part of my review might not be entirely accurate. Anyway, tart cherries and other dark fruits. Some vanilla and bourbon.

T: Loads of vanilla, caramel, toffee, oak, and some bourbon up front. Subdued cherries mid palate, not tart as the nose suggested. SPicy booze on the way out. Oak, vanilla and bourbon linger afterwards.

M: Well carbonated. Pretty dry. Hot on the way dwon from all the booze. Pretty creamy as well.

D: Good for the abv. Very good sipper. I wish I could find Boulevard beers out in LA.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

this is a great beer. i had to go through a lot to get a hold of this one,(thanks john and chris) couldn't wait to pop the cork, and very well worth the wait. pours almost a ruby or amber color into a tulip glass with a good two finger off white head, and some lacing left behind as i sip and enjoy this one.
aroams of sweet carmel, and then oak aged bourbon smacks you right in the nose. hints of fruit and maybe even some spice.
tastes, well taste great need i say more. the bourbon stands out for me, being a bourbon drinker from time to time. almost complex, picking up on many flavors with every sip. sweet malt, and fruit hiding beneath the oak aging. over all this is a great beer, if you are lucky enough to find it grab it, and grab some extra for aging.

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%

I happened to be at Princeton Liquors at the right time and giddily picked up a bottle for $12.50. I shared it with a few friends, but honestly, I wouldn't mind finishing a bottle by myself. The aroma was an enticing fig and bourbon mixture than without a doubt, smelled better than any whiskey I'd ever sampled. The flavor is again light on the Belgian notes with mild spice and dried fruit, but it provides a great backbone for a rich and tasty bourbon candy flavor. This quad has some body, but it's still dry and not overly thick. If you ever come across this beer, buy it immediately.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle 5903 of 11248

Aroma: First aroma is reminiscent of some sours I've had suggesting this beer has been fermented with Brettanomyces. Though I don't believe it has been. Other aromas of oak spice and hay-like or grassy notes following it up. You can pick up on subtle cherry notes as well along with a hint of smoke.

Appearance: A hazy ruby red, like the sun setting on a smoky sky. The color is moving toward brown but isn't quite there. Full off white head with a billowy appearance. The head holds very full throughout with some lacing as the beer goes down.

Flavor: Sweet candy like flavors of caramelized but sour apples. The malt complexity is rich with a blend of fruity esters being given off by the yeast, but along with that the wood definitely comes into play with a smoked quality. I don't pick up a whole lot of bourbon. Cherry flavors are certainly present and give the beer a very subtle sour or wild ale characteristic. It leaves me wanting just a bit more sour. Definitely a smokey quality to the flavor.

Mouthfeel. Medium to full body with a soft bread quality being given off by the yeast presence. Carbonation is high, which sent the cork well across the room, and tingled on the lips and tongue. An alcoholic warming presence comes through in the finish.

Overall. A very pleasing and nicely balanced ale. The blend of wood aged and cherry notes really give this beer a nice complexity without being overbearing. The malt complexity in the flavor seems to develop as you sip and probably goes well beyond my own description. I really enjoy the hint of sour in this beer and I wonder perhaps if brettanomyces has been used somewhere in the process. Though I suspect it's really from the barrel aging. Brett would be a welcome addition to this series however. The qualities of bourbon really don't come out in this beer very well. Considering the name, I was expected a lot more.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Beautiful cherry-red mixed with brown color. Big fuzzy head.

Smell: Actually smells a lot like a lambic to me, a little funky. Must be the oak-aging. Also slightly boozy.

Taste: Almost as if the sweetness was extracted from a bourbon and implanted into a quad. Lots of yeast, a touch of vanilla, cherries come through slightly as it warms. Oak-aging is apparent. Alcohol is well hidden, but still has a minimal booze taste. The finish is loooong. Bourbon burn is not noticeable until several seconds after swallowing.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. The bourbon bites just a bit after the finish.

Drinkability: The complex flavor would make this easy to drink all night, but the alcohol doesn't allow that.

Notes: This was my first bourbon barrel-aged beer. I was a little skeptical, but ended up very pleased. The bourbon character complements the yeast-heavy beer. I also have not had many oak-aged beers in general. That aspect gave this beer a subtle bready, funky texture. I hope I can find this again for a special treat.

3.64/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From notes on a New Years Eve tasting. Was stoked to find a bottle of it, as I'd never seen it before. The manager of the store, in an area that doesn't seem to me to be very beer-geeky, said he got five cases the week before, and I was fortunate to score the last bottle.

Pours hazy reddish amber, and is extremely active. A very fizzy head rises and falls quickly leaving a thin film and no lacing.

SMELL is slightly tart and sour, and a lambic like cherry hits first. Maple malty sweetness and vanilla try to be noticed, but remain in the background. Light bourbon notes and woody funk add depth and complexity. Delicate and nuanced. Very nice.

TASTE unfortunately does not match the nose. Sour cherry leads and dominates. The alcohol is strong, stronger than the flavors of the bourbon barrel, and undercuts that element some. The malty backbone is hard to notice and mostly buried.

FEEL Strongly carbonated, too much in my view. Strong alc warming with a rich full body. Could be smoother.

OVERALL This would likely improve in the cellar, but I don't know the cherry dominance would dissipate, and that was the main problem I found with this beer. I find it too strong and overpowers the others and detracts from what could be a very smooth and complex beer. There might even be too much going on, generally. It was also too hot, but that could mellow with time. As a quad fan (whatever a quad is?), I was quite excited to try this, but the experience left me a bit underwhelmed. I definitely like Boulevard's Sixth Glass quad much better. I'd try this again, though, but would age it for at least a couple of years.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

L: Pours a nice amber brown color with a thick and fluffy tan colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, aromas of cherry, oak, toffee, caramel, and a hint of bourbon at the end.
T: Like the nose, tastes of sweetly roasted malts, caramelized malts, toffee, caramel, cherry, and more oak and bourbon presence than the aroma let on. Blended very well together with a clean finish.
M: Very smooth, warming, cleaner than I was anticipating, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this bottle was gone in no time, really excellent beer.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Batch 2-2009 Bottle # 6007

Poured into a snifter.

Pours almost 2 fingers of fizzy light tan head. Pretty good retention with slight splattered lace. Color is a dark caramel brown.

Aroma: Bright cherry notes, caramel, toffee, oak, bourbon, light vanilla. Very mouth watering and tart. Wow this is amazing. Not too much bourbon here.

Taste: Wow, the taste is very different. The oak and bourbon notes are wonderfully present. Decent amount of cherries and vanilla. Nice toffee and caramel notes, some raisins as well. This beer is amazing.

Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy. Medium to full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Hardly any head present which is really nice. Ends a little dry.

Overall, wow, I was amazed by this beer. Everything I could ask for in a quad. Simply amazing. The oak and bourbon really makes this beer click. This beer drank so fast. I need to get more of this beer before it is gone. Highly drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle of the latest batch enjoyed at El Bait Shop in Des Moines on New Year's Eve.

a - pours a hazy ruddy brown color, two-finger ivory head with decent retention and lacing

s - big aroma of cherry, oak and bourbon, this really smells like a cherry-forward perhaps sour beer from the aroma, some caramel sweetness in the nose as well

t - big moderately sweet flavors up front, lots of caramel malt and some red cherry, mid-palate is where the bourbon -bal aging comes through, lots of oak and sweet/hot bourbon flavors developing and cutting through the caramel and cherry, finish is a bit hot with more bourbon and oak, cherry flavors linger in the background as does the caramel malt, this is definitely a beer you want to let warm up a bit -- it was a bit astringent when fresh out of the cooler, I think this beer could also benefit from a bit more time in the bottle to let the heat tone down a bit

m - medium-to-full bodied, lower carbonation, strong alcohol warming, slightly sweet on the finish

d - definitely a sipper, the complexity is there to keep it interesting all the way through the bottle, a bit hot right now

Very good, unique beer from Boulevard. I'd definitely buy this again if I saw it in a store.

3.62/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a cloudy brown with a red tint in the light, a large beige head, and some lacing.

smell of dark fruit, some caramel, spice, a hint of cocoa, and some woodiness.

taste is of spice, sour malt, dark pitted fruit, toffee, and bourbon in the back, end is on the dry side, a little tart, and somewhat bitter.

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

750 picked up today at the COOP .. Brenda went to the COOP and I didn't even really ask her to... Thanks babe. Shared this bottle with Steven, 3682/11248 ... Steven and I had a nice pour over a quick chat... but the last third of the bottle is mine.. poured into my Delirium goblet.. 1" head... nice lacing.. the brew is a deep copper amber...

Nose is really phenolic.. spicy and some background bandaid.. bunches of cherries .. vanilla.. bunches of bourbon.

Flavor is pushing toward the cherry... oaky tannins... caramel essence without ever verging on "sweet".. the bourbon is there with vanilla and oak.. but real bourbon makes it to my palate a tad too much..

There is a ton of stuff going on with this brew, but honestly, my palate only sorta picks up on the "Quad" as the base beer with some very rough wood and whiskey .. the cherries come across as sour cherries odd and doesn't mesh too well ... vanilla gathers on the finish a bit too much..

Honestly.. this is too much of a good thing for me "fresh". I want/need to get some of these into the "don't touch" cellar... They need some time.... 6 months will probably be enough.. but a year will do wonders.. now... let's just see if I follow my own advice.

Ehhh... ehhh.. pretty damn good.. but I don't want another bottle any time soon.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass. Big thanks to boothbeer for opening this one up with me.

A- Pours a dark amber color with some murkiness. Almost like apple cider. Produced three fingers width off-white, cream colored head. Nice head retention, some lacing as the beer was consumed.

S- Very interesting. Not as potent as I had hoped for, but picking up oak, cherries, dark fruit and alcohol. Great combination.

T- Much more complex than the aroma. Cornucopia of toffee, caramel, vanilla, cherries, raisins, dates, some wood, and a little bit of bourbon all mixed in one. The cherries really became more pronounced as the beer warmed.

M- A little on the thin side for a quad. Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

D- The first few sips left me a little confused. However, this beer grew on me, and as it warmed it went down very easily. The alcohol was surprisingly not too noticeable.

Overall, I'm not quite sure this is a quad, but regardless, it definitely is one of the most interesting beers I have had. The fruit flavors and the bourbon paired very well together. Highly recommended!

Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ) from Boulevard Brewing Co.