Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ) - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ)Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ)

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.80% ABV

Beer added by: jdubjacket on 07-11-2008

Based loosely on the Smokestack Series’ The Sixth Glass, this abbey-style quadrupel is separated into a number of oak bourbon barrels where it ages for varying lengths of time, some for up to three years. Cherries are added to make up for the “angel's share” of beer lost during barrel aging. Selected barrels are then blended for optimum flavor. The resulting beer retains only very subtle cherry characteristics, with toffee and vanilla notes coming to the fore.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ) Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,949 | Reviews: 581
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

New Year's Eve. So good I kept the bottle.

4.91/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A special gift from my son, who gave it to me on Christmas Day, 2013. I cellared it for a year, and decided to start the New Year, and tick off my 1,0000th beer rating on BA, with this truly excellent brew. Upon pulling the cork, a sweet aroma of cherries and licorice arise from the bottle. Poured from the 750 ml bottle into a Jester King goblet, the smell is intensified. The head is thick, light brown in color, with fine lacing that traces the glass as the beer is quaffed. The body of the brew is orange-brown, with tiny bubbles rising from below, like champagne. The first sip of this abbey style quadrupel highlights the aroma, with a trace of vanilla and bourbon flavor coming through. Despite it's 11.8 abv you can barely taste the alcohol, which is layered with all the other flavors that roll around on your tongue. I know not many beers I enjoy this coming year will be quite as grand as this one, because it sets the bar high, but I am thrilled to be starting 2015 with such a fantastic example of what beer can be!

3.09/5  rDev -27.3%

The bourbon flavor profile is not subtle at all and can be very overpowering. The finish feels similar to a subdued shot of bourbon. This is not the best production coming out of Boulevard.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed in a pint glass. Thanks, Lucky Town, for the share.

A: Clear amber with a mocha one finger head that sits pretty for a while.

S: Bourbon prevails with light cherry and vanilla notes. Sultry and decadent.

T: Holy shit! Without a doubt, the best quad I've tried. So smooth with a bourbon entry followed by dark fruits (raisins, dates, plums). Then the vanilla/cherry backbone smooths this one out so well, you just can't help but want more, more.

M: Medium to heavy with thick, chewy carbonation.

O: I will be seeking this one out very soon. One of the stellar beers to be savored, aged and then savored again.

4.36/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Aged 3 yrs. Opened xmas day, It was worth the wait.

3.32/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2014 edition, 750ml into widemouth glass.

Pours with a short, but long-lasting creamy tan head over a surprisingly clear/bright, amber body Nice lacing.

Aromas include a metallic ting, candied cherries, dark bread, and brown sugar.

Flavors are a little disappointing. Chemical quality overrides some of the tastier elements. Some vanilla/oak, touch of cherry, alcohol, smoky/roasted grains.

Pretty thick mouthfeel, as you might imagine. Started a bit effervescently, and calmed down within 15 min.

Overall, it was the first Boulevard that I felt didn't far exceed the general population in its respective style.

3.29/5  rDev -22.6%

No Bueno. Not what I expected at all.

3.41/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I enjoyed the look of this beer. Hazy, deep amber color, slight smell of cherries and faint barrel. Something didn't come together in the taste for me that could match the wonderful aromas I was detecting.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Dark amber color, smooth vanilla notes, sweet candy cherry finish.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

L (4.5): Nice color. Nice amount of head.
S (4): Smells okay. I got this little bit of a weird smell, but I could smell the bourbon too.
T (4):I'm a little confused here. My first few ounces of it were disappointing. Kinda that metallicy, unpleasant taste you get sometimes. I have a homebrew like this, but not sure the cause. But then . . . it either warmed up, or breathed enough, but it was fantastic. The smoke, the bourbon, the sweetness, the malt, heaven. Not sure exactly what happened, but it did. I'm really giving it a 3 and a 5 for taste!
F (4.5): Nice mouthfeel. Good carb, not especially heavy or viscous.

Overall (4.25). So I'm not sure what happened with the weird taste at first. I don't think it was 100% operator error, because it had actually sat out in the glass for 10 minutes before I drank it the first time. But towards the end . . . WOW

This is a fantastic beer that has nearly everything, fantastic head, great aroma, lingering taste that lets you remember good times. This is not thick or heavy just wonderful. You will be transported to what beer should be. No defined genera just fantastic taste and aroma.This is a beer that makes me hopeful for other american beers,

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Cloudy, medium-brown body with some hints of amber. Hints of light come through, but the cloudiness of the body leaves no visibility. Frothy, foamy tan head that hangs around and leaves lots of sticky residue behind.

S- Sweet malt, dried fruit, raisins, cherries, just the slightest dash of sugary sweet bourbon.

T- This one still has tons of quad qualities and does not let the bourbon overpower. Lots of dark fruits, sweet and toasty malt, sugary sweet oaky bourbon, lots of raisins and cherries. Big, bold flavors, but not much of an alcohol presence. The bourbon barrel is very complimentary and it is nice to see it not overpower.

M- Full bodied, medium-high carbonation, lingering aftertaste.

O- A big, sweet, dark fruit quad with a well rounded bourbon barrel flavor. A really nice beer that sticks to the format of the sixth glass.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

This is a good beer but I don't find the complexity that others have. On the nose you get a boozy somewhat chocolate aroma. I find the taste very boozy. It's 11.8% ABV but you'd think it was much higher. I was hoping the cherries would be more present but I don't taste them. This is the kind of beer I'd buy for a friend who really like bourbon.

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a dark brown color and a murky consistency. There was an inch and a half of foamy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A very strong aroma, dominated by the bourbon, but also had notes of dark fruit, malt, and yeast.

T: Like the aroma, the flavor had a lot of bourbon, but also some figs, raisins, Belgian yeast, spices, and some malt. At times it seems as though the bourbon overshadows the other ingredients, but they do shine through. A very forceful, complex flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a sharp finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Boulevard seems to have a knack for make Belgian-style beers, and this is no exception. The bourbon barrel flavor is a unique and welcome addition.

A: Reddish with fresh white head, bottled in 12/2013

S: We got it too cold and it wreaked of a pilsner, when it warmed down, much more booze.

T: Absolutely horrible at 40-50 degrees, this beer is supposed to be enjoyed at 55-70 degrees to feel the heat.

M: Smooth

O: Do not get this beer too cold, it will ruin the entire effect. Besides that, pretty damn good but not overly boozey like I like.

2013 Version.

Read an interview with Boulevard's head brewmaster in the current (December) issue of DRAFT Magazine, and he suggested this beer should not be aged longer than nine months (which has already passed). I had three bottles (one, I opened immediately last year), and stored two others.

Fearing I may have missed the sweet spot, I opened one last night. Definitely drinking wonderfully still. The bourbon flavor no longer dominates the entire palate, cherry and brown sugar/bourbon flavors are strong.

Super balanced. Despite being 11.5% it was super easy drinking, almost lofty/light tasting. I'm going to save the other bottle (despite the brewmaster's suggestion) for a few more months, as I think this one will only benefit from a little more time.

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%

Vintage 2013, sampled 11/2014, best by 08/2015

Appearance: Very murky brown glass hold a very thin head and halo of off white foam. Edges only go to translucent, the center is a murky opaque brown.

Smell: Boozy, charred barrel, not much else. It's strong, maybe a hint of sweetness backing it up, but it's a full slap to the face.

Taste: Boozy as the nose, maybe more so. I've aged this out a year and some of the heat has mellowed to allow bits of a toffee sweet malt to come through to smooth things out a bit, but it still comes at you like a junkie with a knife. Bourbon is full flavored and soaked all other flavors and smells going on.

Feel: Medium heavy body, medium carbonation, dry finish.

Overall: After the bourbon beats you down a bit, you start to notice a few more subtle things going on. A touch of tobacco, a bit of plum, a junkie with a broken bourbon bottle. I didn't note the cherry taste until reading the description, it's there and a bit maraschino.
All in all a good beer. A real experience, I'll watch for other rare bottles.

From the 750 mL bottle.
Pours a nice amber, slightly reddish color, with a big head. Foam remains a medium long time; looks creamy, not threaded.
Aroma is sort of off-putting; slightly nutty, floral, some oak, with floral and cherry tones. Something else along with alcohol aroma, can't put my finger on it.
Smooth flavor, with definite bourbon and floral aftertaste. I wouldn't put it up there with good lambics in flavor, but nothing especially objectionable. The flavor just didn't connect with me due to the disparate elements, but it is good looking in the glass and goes down smoothly on the palate.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Wow, a fantastic beer! Sometimes the Belgian style beers don't work for me ... I think it's related to the yeast they generally use. However this one is delicious. First, upon removing the cork you get a very strong pop ... probably the strongest of any beer I've uncorked. I expected high carbonation as a result but that's not the case ... carbonation level is perfect. Taste is exquisite. There are certainly bourbon barrel overtones. Practically no hop bitterness. The alcohol is well hidden but warming. My only gripe is the cherries ... I think this would be an even better beer without them.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

I found that this beer gets exponentially better as it warms up. I'd recommend pulling it from the fridge and letting it sit for about 30 minutes before drinking it. I poured a glass straight from the fridge and set the bottle on the counter. The first glass was good, but I found that as it got warmer the carbonation died down a little bit and let the flavors of the beer come through. Needless to say the 2nd and 3rd pours from the bottle were much better than the first glass. The flavors are as described on the bottle, but you'll enjoy them more once the beer gets closer to what I would call a white wine drinking temperature.

Easily one of my favorite beers, and I am glad I got 4 bottles of it this year.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottled 2013 in 750ml

Appearance: Amber, brown color, nice white head on the pour. Quite fizzy, lot of head out of the pour.

Smell: bourbon, vanilla, oak, dark fruits

Taste: initial glass was very heavy on bourbon and alcohol presence. Not unpleasant but the flavors really came out after it had a chance to air out and warm a bit. Whereas the initial impression was of bourbon dominance, an amazing blend of tastes came through: vanilla, wood, lot of fruit flavors for a quad (cherries, dates, melon), toffee. Just a delicious blend where the barrel aging complements everything but doesn't take over the beer completely. This is one of the best bourbon barrel aged beers I've experienced. Bit of alcohol warmth but it is a pleasant presence.

Overall: fantastic beer. I enjoyed the Sixth Glass from Boulevard and am a sucker for Quads in general. This one takes it to another level with a vast array of flavors. My second favorite quad after Stickee Monkey (which debatably isn't even a quad). Great job as usual by Boulevard, wish I got regular distribution from them.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

750 ml bottle into chalice, bottled on 8/19/2013. Pours hazy deep reddish orange color with a 1 finger fairly dense khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of raisin, plum, fig, date, apple, tart cherry, clove, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, oak, coconut, toast, brown sugar, brown bread, and yeast/oak earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity fruity/spicy yeast, cherries, and bourbon barrel notes; with good strength. Taste of big raisin, plum, fig, date, apple, tart cherry, clove, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, oak, coconut, toast, brown sugar, brown bread, and yeast/oak earthiness. Light fruity tartness and moderate yeast/oak spice on the finish; with lingering notes of raisin, plum, fig, date, apple, cherry, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, oak, coconut, toast, brown sugar, and yeast/oak earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity and balance of fruity/spicy yeast, bourbon barrel, and light-moderate tart cherry flavors; with a great malt/yeast/barrel balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a smooth, fairly slick, and lightly syrupy/acidic mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is an awesome barrel aged quadrupel style. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of fruity/spicy yeast, bourbon barrel, and light-moderate tart cherry flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Picked up 2013 a bottle from the Alpine Frontier Liquor store the other day. Best by 08-2015. not sure how much i paid but would suspect $15.

Beer poured orange brown with a nice white head upon the initial pour.

Nose primarily is bourbon driven.

Taste initially is bourbon forward and warming. Subsequent sips the cherries that were added to accomodate the angel's share is dominiating.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and fairly smooth.

Overall this is a very nice beer that likely would be better without the cherries.

Great

I was kind of perplexed by some of the things I've read about this beer and the experience other advocates have been having; so, I will throw in my oar.

A - This is brighter than most quads I've seen. My glass looks like a rye IPA--it's fairly clear with almost no cloudiness. A fair distribution of color throughout the body. Amber coloration with a hint of a softer orange around the edges. A very thin eggshell colored head with minimal retention and lacing. Very minimal feet on this around the glass, which is somewhat surprising.
S - Mine smells pretty hot. A lot of alcohol and bourbon on the nose. The barrel is there, though it is muted by the booziness. Sugary toffee and something like simple syrup on the front end of the nose, rounded out by some sort of figgy aroma. A hint of orange marmalade.
T - Luckily, this beer is less boozy on the palate than it is on the nose. The barrel also has a bigger presence on the palate. Nice and bourbony. A little bit of toffee, caramel, and brown sugar in the backend. Not really picking up any yeast or bread/biscuit anywhere on the palate, which is odd considering the style. Not too much in the way of stone fruit or dried fruit, which, again, is surprising considering the style. This drinks much more like a barleywine than a quad.
M - Mine is somewhat sticky, but it's also thin in a weird way. The carbonation is pretty flat. I prefer my quads to be a bit more bubbly.
O - This beer seems to be suffering from an identity crisis. This beer is not what I expect of the style. It's more like a barleywine, as I said above; but, even in the barleywine category, I think it falters. Also, this is a very bright looking beer, which is unexpected. That said, the beer is pretty to look at and is a good drink. Very tasty and satisfying--I just wouldn't call it a quad. Also, the reviewer below me said it reminded him of Westvleteren 12. I'm not getting that at all.

Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ) from Boulevard Brewing Co.