Single-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide I.P.A.Single-Wide I.P.A.

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

(Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008)
Reviews by shakeheap:

What follows is a review not easily written. I don't want to slag what is really a pretty decent ale... but I'm so disappointed.

So I'll explain that first. I went into the Single Wide having had the Double Wide on at least 3 occasions and not even knowing there WAS a Single Wide IPA. I think the Double Wide is a masterpiece. The Single Wide is just a bit better than average for an IPA (which is way better than average for beer in general) and I expected a lot. I realize that issue is with me and not the beer. I don't blame the beer or the good folks at Boulevard who do a GREAT job.

My first bit of apprehension came with the pour. Much lighter in color than the typical IPA. In fact if someone told me this was a Boulevard and didn't specify which I'd guess Boulevard Wheat right off the bat. There are flavor resemblances too.

Nose is bready... conspicouous absence of typical hop aroma I'm used to in a solid IPA.

It is IPAish but something is missing... can't place what. This is not to say this beer doesn't have the hoppy notes expected in an IPA... but it's more of a straight bitterness than a balanced hoppy, grassy, citrusy flavor. It's just kind of there and not very complex.

It's a good brew... not a great brew and that's what I was hoping for. I'd take it over many other beers but for IPA's put it in the 40th to 50th percentile. Just keep in mind that as far as I'm concerned anything above the 25th in IPA's is still going to be a drinkable ale.

shakeheap, Mar 24, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a nonic a hazy lighter amber shade with a a huge blooming white head that went over the sides even with a softer pour.Juicy grapefruit-like hops over top of some alcohol and biscuit malt,the alcohol was pretty large for a smaller beer.Grapefruit flavors along with fruity/gummy notes,it is a little sweet but the hops really burst out at ya.It's a little watery in the back end but it's a flavor packed ipa,again the alcohol to me seems bigger than what it is.

oberon, Dec 07, 2012

tohe9384, Sep 12, 2012
3.92/5  rDev +4.8%

Iamjlopez12, Yesterday at 05:20 AM
3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Translucent light copper. Single finger, good lacing. Would have liked a deeper color.

Piney, grapefruit, malt. Somewhat light, more floral than powering.

Little chewey, somewhat wet. Light malt, pine present. Something unnatural, though not harsh.

Light, abv light. Couild use a little more malt to counter act ~6%

Good. might desire some more aroma

Id move forward instead of moving back to it

JasonA, May 03, 2009

DWolf, Jan 04, 2014
3.76/5  rDev +0.5%

chip26, Oct 25, 2014

12 oz bottle, best by 8/1/09. Pours a glowing hazy golden with a thick creamy head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is bready malts and grassy hops with a little pine and fruit.

The flavor is a little subdued and watery. It's got some floral spicy tarry hops with a tinge of sweet fruity malts that leads to a kind of flavorless bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, this IPA is not up my alley. It seems like a lot of the nose and taste is washed out except for the tarry bitterness in the aftertaste.

Beaver13, Apr 17, 2009

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

megamass, Sep 13, 2014
3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date

LOOK: Mildly hazed golden hue, good sudys lacing

SMELL: Piney, catty, tangerine, mango, doughy biscuits, nutty yeast, esters

TASTE: Crisp, wet, moderate body, oily hop, balanced bitterness, orange peel, dried grass, chalky, herbal, leafy, blonde tobacco, black tea, dry finish

Fresh, somewhat aggressive and quite drinkable. Bitterness is pretty high but is does not take over the palate, more than enough to let you know that it is an IPA.

Jason, Aug 03, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

12 ounce bottle, best before 12/29/12 etched onto the bottle.

Pours near clear, lighter amber. Large off white and loose head, that stays before going to a thicker collar and ample spotty lace.

Distinct note of cascades in the nose.

Well hopped and quite enjoyable IPA. Grapefruit hoppy notes, ample malts to provide some balance. Some lime soaked dryness in the finish. Nicely done...

Boulevard is on my short wish list of breweries I'd love to see distributing in the NY/CT/NJ tri state area

Billolick, Aug 08, 2012

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect Pint Glass

Appearance: high carbonation, orange-gold in color, 3/4 inch head, clear

Smell: citrus hops--oranges and lemons

Taste: citrus--tangerine orange, grapefruit with some pine hops and caramel

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, bitter with some sweetness in the middle and a more bitter/dry end--bitter but never mouth puckeringly so

Overall: Bitter and clean. This would be an IPA that I would reach for if I wanted an IPA. A nice sipper.

tigg924, Feb 25, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

Served on tap.

A: Hazy light amber...slightly orange. Nice, big frothy head. All kinds of lacing as the head dissipates.

S: The nose offers up pine and citrus...am I detecting some lemon?

T: Very good. Nice hop bite and finishes quite clean. Pine notes are noticeable but overwhelming.

M: The feel is on the oily side. It has just the right amount of carbonation. Quite smooth for an IPA.

D: This is a very good beer. I could have several of these without thinking twice about it.

Overall: I'm impressed with this one as I wasn't expecting a lot. A bartender friend of mine brought this to me to try and I loved it. It had just been tapped a few minutes earlier and it was great! Try it if you get a chance.

badmoon, Apr 19, 2009

The beer pours a dark yellow color with a white head. The aroma is orange and pine hops. The flavor is orange and lemon hops as well as some bready and caramel malt. There is a nice grassy character to the flavor as well. Low to medium bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice, easy drinking IPA.

Mora2000, Dec 04, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

olradetbalder, Monday at 02:22 PM

wchasejr, Dec 08, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Meyers1023, Oct 25, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -7%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Hazy light orange with nice foamy white head and slight lacing.

Smell: Light citrus and sweet toasted pale malt - not too much aroma.

Taste: Bitter throughout, with some orange and toasted malt upfront, and then turns more spicy and herbal, with a hint of pine. While not overly bitter, there is not a lot of flavor beyond that.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, very dry finish.

Drinkability: Quite refreshing and even enjoyable, but I just wish there was a little more complexity to the taste and certainly the aroma.

bsp77, Aug 09, 2010
Single-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.