Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Single-Wide IPA - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide IPASingle-Wide IPA

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single-Wide IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 506 | Hads: 1,798

Wow! What a surprise. I was on vacation in the Black Hills / Rushmore area and dined a few nights in a small town restaurant. I tried several offerings that were new to me. This wasn't one of them, but the locals directed me to a local grocery store that carried a decent selection. As I prefer IPAs, I grabbed a six of this and struck gold. I saved one for the holidays and now I am out. Time for a road trip!

4.82/5  rDev +27.5%

My "go to" ale for several months now. Brought home in 12 oz bottles in the iconic Boulevard beer box! BLVD is our "hometown" brewery and are always coming out with new exciting ales and now even a lager.

It pours a light amber color somewhat cloudy, and if you use a Frosty Freezer mug like I always do, you'll get a massive foamy head on this stuff! YUM! Lots of citrus, nice bitter aftertaste lingers so the finish is not quite as "snappy" as I like even though the carbonation is relatively high. Also there is not as much hoppy aroma as other IPAs I've had. All that being said though this is one drinkable ale and when overwhelmed with all the choices our local store has, I'll usually pick up the Single Wide!

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

I am surprised that the overall grade is less than 90. Maybe they have improved recently? I just tried Single-Wide this week and I think it is absolutely delicious : ) Very crisp and flavorful

4.7/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.
A - Golden in color, somewhat cloudy with a huge white head that diminishes rather quicklyleaving spotty lacing.
S - Grapefruit, pine, faint smell of golden malt.
T - More malt flavor than the aroma would suggest, followed by the freshest tasting citrusy grapefruit and piney hops I've ever tasted.
M - As with other Boulevard brews this is a bit over carbonated; however, it seems to work well with this. Very crisp and clean.
D - This is the first commercially available American IPA that I've liked. Most American IPA's totally obscure malt flavor in favor of an overpowering citrus hops. Boulevard has done an excellent job of balancing both and still having that "American" IPA flavor but with some malt in there as well. It is crisp, refreshing, and VERY drinkable.

4.64/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - cloudy orange w/ an ivory 2 finger head and notable retention

S - fruity and hoppy, plenty of juicy citrus and grapefruit. this is gonna be good....

T - bitter grapefruit and floral characteristic against a malty wheat bread backround. This beer excells in balance. not overly bitter(enough to satisfy)

MF - i love unfiltered brews! feel is full and chewy on a medium sized body w/ moderate carbonation.

D - what a sleeper IPA1 why does this beer not get mentioned along w/ 60 min, Alpha King, Furious and 2 Hearted? This is a beer that shows amazing balance, nice feel, and great flavor. exceptionaly built brew. I could drink this all night.

4.55/5  rDev +20.4%

got a sixer of this while on a trip to "omaha":

A: pretty straw colored brew, heatly generous white head is slow to settle. hard to evaluate lacing: drinking this from a paper cup from the hotel (sad)

S:outSTANDING. nice piney hops to the nose. Not sure if this is dry hopped but I expect that's a big yes.

T: again, GREAT: this is right up to the Stone Brewing standard.

M: a bit more carbonation than I expected, but not bad. Also a bit less on the ABV, but I can have another to compensate for that.

D: I will state this is a session IPA because...it's all that good. I am getting worried that I wont be able to find this when I get home. option is to drink lots of it before I leave!

4.55/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured into tumbler-style pint glass. It was interesting to see twist-off caps from a "micro-brew" craft-beer brewery.

Appearance was a hazy, unfiltered medium amber color with two and a half fingers width of head which left a very nice amount of lacing around the glass and showed very good head retention.

The aroma was a very floral, citrusy, hop smell, with a smell of pale malts and some two row barley scents as well.

The flavor starts at the tip of the tongue with a sweet flavor and gets more citrusy and bitter towards the finish. "Hop-heads" will likely like the amount of hops in this IPA.

Very fine beer all in all...

4.53/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A nice a IPA. Very tolerable flavor but not lacking by any means. The expected rush of "hoppy" flavor from start to finish without any overpowering alcohol flavor or bitter displeasure. Anyone wanting to try IPAs would do well to make this one of their first ones. Its a great starter! Enjoy!

4.53/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Best by date of 5/9/14.

My new house beer. Very quaffable. Well balanced between malty sweet and resin/grapefruit hoppiness. An excellent representation of the style in my opinion. 4.5

A – Pours a clear light golden with a dense off-white two-finger head that dissipates quickly. Very little lacing. 4

S – Fruity, sweet, pineapple, grapefruit, citric. 4.75

T – Slightly sweet, malty, balanced with an excellent profile of both resiny and citric hop flavors. 4.5

MF – Crisp, medium bodied, medium dry finish. 4.5

best by 03/13/11

with an aggressive pour - cloudy golden orange with a huge 3 finger off white head that had great retention and left lacing all down the glass

smell - wow - now i have had this beer before but i dont remember it being this good - is this the citra hops that has me smiling from ear to ear - fruity apricot peach pine citrus - while not over powering strong(only 5.7%) this beer blew me away

taste just like the nose - delicious fresh peach apricot next to semi sweet bready malt - this beer is not the overpowering bitter that makes you pucker up - just an amazing fruity hop ipa

mouthfeel is great - hell when a beer tastes this good all you need is the mouthfeel to be wet - light/medium with a great balance with crisp and creamy

drinkability - i didnt want to review the first beer of this six pack beacause it blew me away - this is the last in the 6er and it still blows me away

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Yo. The Single Wide is Boulevard's Great Achievement. I really love drinking this beer, especially when it is on sale and cheap. As I mentioned in the Double Wide review, the Single Wide is actually the better of the two Wides. The hop presence in this beer has a very pleasant citrus, grapefruit, apricot, mint taste to it. It was really refreshing on a hot windy Iowa afternoon. Glorious hop nose and a balanced attack on the maltiness. Overall a really good beer drinking experience.

4.5/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am always picking up something I haven't tried. I'm glad I happened on to this one. Starts out real clean ( one of the type you would like to crack open on a 90 degree day) and leaves you with a nice hoppy aroma. I enjoyed this beer start to finish and very little question remained after I was done with a couple. Easy drinking IPA that satisfies my IPA cravings.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

A: Poured from bottle to Pilsner Glass. Color is burnt orange. Nice two finger head. Good amount of carbonation, bubbles keep rising.

S: It's an IPA. It smells hoppy, floral, "grapefruity". Wonderful.

T: Just like it smells, delicious. At just over 50 IBU's, this beer has a nice amount of hops, and yet very balanced. Very crisp.

M: Light, refreshing, fresh. Light bodied, and nicely carbonated.

O: I'm still somewhat new to the IPA scene, but in my opinion this beer in no way misrepresents the style. Very impressed. Thank You, Boulevard.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

I bought a single bottle of this as part of a M&M 6-pack from Binny’s in Downer’s Grove, IL for $9.99 in Early 2012.

Pours a cloudy, copper color with a thick, fluffy head. Lacing clings to the side of the glass as you take in a mild scent of bitter hops. The taste is rather bold and bitter. Texture is smooth and very drinkable. Full of citrus, wheat, and yeast. Carbonation continues to shoot up during the drinking process. A very well made beer.

4.47/5  rDev +18.3%

Enjoyed in a pint glass at Fox N Hound in Chesterfield Valley (Chesterfield, MO).
2nd Review... Enjoyed on-tap for $2.50 @ Fox N Hound in Chesterfield, MO. Finished with their Fish n Chips.

(1st) Appearance- Amber color, cloudy throughout, and 2 fingers of head
(2nd) Appearance- Clear Golden/Amber body with 1 Finger of head that died quickly. A huge netting of lace was left on the side as well.

(1st) Smell- Extreme hops with citrus. Awesome!
(2nd) Smell- Citrus hops upfront and a grassy/floral combo as well. There are a complexed amount of hops in this Single Wide IPA.

(1st) Taste- Almost has enough hops to be an IPA. There is a caramel twist inside and has the best complex flavor possible. Have enjoyed in a bottle many times as well.
(2nd) Taste- Funny that I said "has enough hops to be an IPA" before. I think the Style from BA was an APA even though this is clearly an IPA. I hit on these huge citrus hops again and pale malts were contributed to a great end of drink bitterness.

(1st) Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied with good sensations as it hits my palate
(2nd) Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, Small Carbonation, and smooth tasting IPA!

(1st) Drinkability- Very hoppy, but a sensational ale. I would say this is my favorite of Boulevard's and can always turn people onto this ale. Ordered another one after my first tasting. Could only drink two or three though, takes a while to drink this ale.
(2nd) Overall- Once again, has enough hops to kill a man, but I dig this type of IPA. Would like to try doing 2 tastings/reviewings of many beers I list on BA but like to move onto as many as possible.

4.46/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is a hazy muted peach-amber color. A frothy foamy white head has great retention and sheets of sticky lacing coat the glass. The nose is sweet apricot, muted caramel malt, and piny hops. The taste is a good shadow of the aroma with sweet malts coming before a nice blend of black pepper, apricot fruitiness, and piny grapefruit rinds. A nice medium and creamy mouthfeel. Overall, just a delicious well-balanced beer. My favorite from boulevard.

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%

First review in a while gonna ease back into it slowly. Going the ASTMD route. Poured from a bottle dated "Best Before 10/16/09" into a curved Bass pint glass.

A-Pale gold with lighter straw notes at the edges of the glass. Big frothy, cloud-like head sits firmly on top of this beer through most of the 12oz experience

S-Very nice stuff with very floral notes and a sort of apple like fruitiness. Very clean and focused

T-The continuation of the floral hops really comes through on the palate. Again this has no excess and comes across very direct and no-nonsense. No over the top hops here just perfect flavors of Granny Smith apple backed by grapefruit and the slightest bitterness.

M-Heavily carbonated but in my book I like that from my IPAs. Still this is clean with out the asprin like residue or the stick malt so many IPAs leave behind. A rare find in this style.

D-As my buddy would say "Off the Badger," it is that good. If local this would always be fresh in the fridge. Not "EXTREME" beer just F'n good beer. Get some fresh and enjoy.

4.44/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice orange copper color, Clear although bottle conditioned, but very fresh less then 3 weeks out the brewery, nice lacing, 2 fingers white head

Smell is a ton of orange, mango, tangerine... nice floral notes, pine, biscuit, almost a orange jelly aroma on toast, lemon, grapefruit, bread, caramel

Taste is well very impressive for the ABV... Orange on bread is the first thing that comes to mind. Pineapple, biscuit, toffee, mango, bread, tangerine, pine needle and a hint of grapefruit bitterness

Mouthfeel is medium light, high carbonation, dry finish, lingering bitterness

I LOVE this beer, low ABV sessionable and flavorable.... I do not understand the need for a session IPA when beers like this are around at 5.7 and this kind of flavor... At 10.99 a 12 pack I do not know why I do not grab this more.... if I find it this fresh I will that is for sure!

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Best by date of 8/16/09 lasered on the neck. It was a cloudy golden honey color with plenty of yeast bits floating around. Moderate carb streams and good lacing. Had a huge foamy white head that very slowly settled into a constant white foam.

The aroma was excellent. Citric hops with some floral hops built around a sweet malt base. Classic Am IPA aroma. The taste was also outstanding. Good sweet malt start with a long hop buildup to a moderate hop bite finish. Had a sweeter finish than most Am IPA's but I found it be refreshing. An easy drinker that would be for a session beer. Goes down smooth on a hot Texas day. Mouthfeel would have benefited from a little more of a hop bite finish.

Overall, an excellent Am IPA and another solid winner from Boulevard. High recommend. This should make it into the hop rotation.

[hopTR; tap]

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

Had on tap at iTap. Pours a golden amber color with a finger of frothy white head. Smell is mostly orange-like citrus. Taste is extremely well balanced with distinct citrus hops upfront followed by smooth biscuitlike malts. Light mouthfeel with a dry finish. This is extremely drinkable. When this comes out in bottles it will be a permanent fixture in my fridge.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

Enjoying a pint at Harry's on Christmas Eve...

Pour is a nice golden, seems lighter in color than their APA, with half a finger of fluffy head that recedes a bit without disappearing entirely. Leaves just a wispy touch of lace down the sides.

Aroma is dominated by hops, a nice citrus explosion with a touch of yeasty pizza dough on the back side. Flavor is IPA all the way, on point style-wise, astringent bitterness up front giving way to orange blossoms and faint sweet roll malt in the back.

Definitely one of Boulevard's best efforts to date. Significantly better than the Double Wide.

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from into a tulip

A-Very cloudy with very fine yeast floating all through it. Big nice sticky head

S-Classic IPA nice earthy hops and grapefruit/orange peel very piney

T-The nose tells all except of the hint of sweetness that the middle and finish bring and a big IPA bitter finish

M-Mouth is smooth and medium bodied very well balanced

D-All year new brew from boulevard and they knocked it out of the park

Review from notes.

good pour yields 3 fingers head that lingers for a long time, beautiful head really. Color is a light gold. Smells are hops, some citrus and slight malts. Taste is hops, then sweet, then yeast with a nice hop finish. This beer is really, really good, especially for the price. Mouthfeel is medium with a lot of carbonation, drinkability is great with this one. Damn this beer is underrated, one of the best session beers I think I've had.

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%

Light, slightly hazy orange amber with off-white foamy/fluffy head with good retention and lacing.
Floral and English hop aroma with a splash of citrus. A concoction of a floral and citrus hops with a peppery and English IPA taste thrown in. A creamy yet sharp feel with a good lingering bitter bite.

This is a fantastic, distinctive IPA. Not your normal overhopped variety, a nice combination of hops leads to a complex and very drinkable IPA.

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I get tired of paying $10 a 4 pack for most higher end brews, this is a good alternative. It is a great drinking IPA. I agree somewhat that the single wide is a better drinking beer then the double in that when I am in the mood for 2-3 beers, then I go the single-wide route. The double-wide is more of a one beer experience.
A-love the orange color of this beer when poured
S-hops but not crazy strong, some floral
T-a mild IPA that does not overpower, again, this is one that I drink when I plan on downing 2-3 washing the car or something
M-It's a Boulevard, their normal beers are balanced while the smokestack series are big. T
O-This is one I rotate and drink at least monthly, a solid value in an IPA. I would love this one in a can!

Single-Wide IPA from Boulevard Brewing Co.