Single-Wide IPA - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide IPASingle-Wide IPA

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single-Wide IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 497 | Hads: 1,752
1.9/5  rDev -49.9%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle, best by date of 8/24/09 printed on the neck. I was excited to see this along with the Irish Red now available in Colorado.

Appearance: Way over-carbonated, a slow pour results in half a glass of foam. Color is a hazy orange.

Smell: Something is a bit off - after the wild pour and a slight funk in the aroma, I'm getting worried.

Taste: Lots of hop bitterness, but the flavor isn't hops, its more of a funky note, and I can't imagine that is by design.

Overall impression: I was thrilled to see Boulevard hit the shelves in Colorado, but now I'm a bit worried. The Irish was mediocre, this is worse. I'm not sure if its infected, or just how this beer tastes, but I found it barely drinkable. (730 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -41.7%

On draft into a standard pint glass. Served to me with no head, so unsure on the pour. Color was pale amber with a slight haze. The nose is all pine hops with maybe a little malt background. The taste is all hops, in force, all by itself. It’s mostly piney, but not a lot of differentiating flavors. The palate was very watery and limp overall. To me, this was one of the IPAs that does hops for hops sake. There just wasn’t much of a flavor bill other than hops. (467 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured a cloudy amber with a big sticky off white head, good lacing.

The smell is very light for an IPA with just a hint of lemony hops.

The flavor has a very light bit of bready malts with a strong minty hop flavor with a touch of pine and grass. Slightly sweet initially with a strong bitterness quickly taking over and dominating the flavor.

The mouthfeel is light and a bit slick.

A very substandard IPA with a one dimensional harsh hop flavor, to many better versions out there to enjoy for me to ever add this to my fridge. (533 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -39.6%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Amber Yellow with a slight cloudy aspect from the yeast and carbonation. Presents well as an IPA. Laces well with an ok head about a finger thick, but that quickly goes away to just a very light head.

Smell: Not what I've come to expect from an IPA, almost no hops are apparent. I wasn't able to detect anything other than a slight wheat aroma. Not a bad smell, but not what I've come to expect from IPA's.

Taste: Just like the smell, the hops are barely distinguishable. This comes across a very weak IPA, not the strong hop presence typical of the type.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth with good carbonation. Average for a lighter IPA, nothing spectacular, but not bad either.

Drinkability: I can't say it's bad, just very underwhelming. This feels like it could've been a good IPA, but was toned down to appeal to people not accustomed to IPA's. Like an entry level example of IPA's. (925 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -35.9%

Best by 3/13/2011

Aroma: Lots of grapefruit and pine.

Appearance: Over-carbonated, thought it was going to gush out. Pours thick chunky off-white half a pint glass of head. Orangeish amber color. Particulates floating in the beer. Don't think I poured the sediment in but could have.

Flavor: Major grapefruit up front, followed by some pine and tangerine. A weird solvently hair spray flavor lingering in aftertaste. Decent malt backbone. High bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Dry. Alcohol noticeable. Appropriate for style.

Overall: What is up with Boulevard beers and this soapy hair spray flavor? It was in 3 of the 4 beers my friend brought back from Missouri. Not going to finish this beer. Obviously, other people are not getting this in all beers so would try again cautiously. (798 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

beer pours a huge head easily 4 inches way to much would not dissipate color is dark yellow.. the smell is lemon and yeast smells not too much going on here the taste is worse it was lemon sour taste a little hop and malt and citrus ... this tasted more like a wheat or a Belgian ale(not a good one cause i like Belgian ales).. mouthfeel was acidic and yeasty.. not a very drinkable brew.. i dont know maybe i got a bad bottle will try again..but for now the worst IPA ive reviewed (481 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -30.6%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery. No visible best before or bottled on date.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with pretzels.

A: Pours a five finger head of little (if any cream), poor thickness, and great retention - though it does seem overcarbonated. No lacing. Body colour is a clear copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Translucent. Fairly vibrant. Typical of the style.

Sm: Floral hops, hints of citrus, clean malts, wheat, and soap. Some zest. An average strength aroma. Pleasant.

T: Floral hops, clean malts, hop bitterness, vague citrus, and grapefruit. Imbalanced and badly built for the style. Rather mediocre. Lacks complexity and subtlety.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Carbonation is about right. A bit thin.

Dr: Drinkable but pedestrian. A disappointment from Boulevard. I wouldn't trifle with this again. A mundane IPA.

C- (1,112 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -30.1%

L: Golden with a quick fading white head
A: Faint hops
T: Very watery citrus hops
F: Very watery, super thin
O: Unfortunately the worst beer I've had from Boulevard. (165 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured this IPA from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The color was orange and golden. The beer was a little hazy and had lots of particles in suspension. This is probably partly due to the yeast they add to their bottles for conditioning, however in their other beers the particles in suspension were not as prevalent. I think some of this must be from tannins in the hops but I cant say that for sure. For this i give this beer below average marks for appearance. The smell was stronger on grapefruit then it was hops. This is not to my liking for an IPA. The taste was very malty and watery upfront, it gives way to grapefruit as the dominant characteristic. The beer finishes with only a slight hop taste it mostly comes across after you have swallowed. This is a below average IPA. Nothing stands out about it. Sorry Boulevard- IPA Fail. (842 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

A: Amber color, sudsy finger of head that retains nicely. nice suds of lace to boot. Nice look.

S: Strange for an IPA...Where are the hops? I am pretty sure this isn't old according to the label (Best by Feb 13). Smells of a weizen with yeast smell, almost like a lager instead of an ale. Wierd. Also, it's very faint. I'm not impressed at all.

T: Only some bittering hops come through as any kind of indication that this is an IPA. Tastes very dead. Only wheaty malt, pils or lager like clear flavors come through. Lemony zest. I'm confused on this one.

M: Nice and creamy, nice carbonation.

D: Easy to drink quick, but not a good beer in my opinion. (657 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Cloudy (expected from a bottle-conditioned beer) amber color with lots of bubbles. Half finger width head lasted most of the time I drank it. I'm not good at describing aromas, so I'll just say I like the nose of this beer. My wife, who is sitting next to me as I drink it, even commented that it smells good. Taste is where this beer really falls flat for me. Decent bitterness, very grapefruity, but not much else. It isn't well rounded, and seems to me like something is missing. Mouthfeel is medium-heavy. Overall, I'm not impressed, and will not be buying more of it. (614 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -25.6%

I waited for this beer to came out the first news I caught of it and drooled the rest of the time. It finally came out and I had a 6 pack and was not impressed considering I really like the Double Wide. I tried it again over the weekend to see if it was the batch and nope, just not impressed.

A - Golden Light IPA color to prepare yourself for a light IPA, some haze.

S - Citrisy, Hoppy, not much else.

T - Just like it smells.

M - Here is where I slam this beer and one of my favorite breweries. The fizziness and aftertaste just don't sit well with me. The IPA is not smooth. There is a sharp taste from beginning to end.

D - I can down one or two, but would not drink anymore in one setting.

A little more malt, little less carbonation and maybe a change up in the bittering hops and this would be okay. Well that's pretty much a new brew isn't it? (859 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -25.3%

12oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a frothy white head.

What I can pick up in the nose is enjoyable with citric hops light breaded malts, but unfortunately it is pretty subdued overall which keeps me from giving it a higher score here.

The taste is decent, but not quite as good as the nose led me to expect. There are citric notes upfront which are quickly followed by quite a lot of breaded and biscuity malts.

The mouthfeel is full bodied for the style, with subtle carbonation.

This was a decent IPA, but nothing memorable overall. The hops were pretty subdued, with the malt coming through a bit too much in the taste. (666 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -24.8%

Served in a pint glass.

Two things that I've been somewhat ambivalent to in the past (Boulevard and the I.P.A.) converge. Here's hoping...

A: This is one of the better looking IPAs I've seen. Some frothy head and delicate lacing are nice, but I really like the orange tint to the beer. It makes the beer look more appealing and unique to IPAs, which I usually associate with a simple murky yellow color.

S: Hopsy, with some citurs and pine. About the standard for an IPA, though I found that pine scent to be a nice addition. However, it's a little too subdued and faint.

Hmmm... a swirl and another smell later and I'm really getting the auroma. +.5

T: Way too hopsy! I was all set to love this, but I get very little of the citrus from the scent and really none of the pine, which I was really looking forward to; unless you count the fact that this drink may be like jamming pine needles in your mouth. It also leaves a very bitter aftertaste.

M: I really have to try hard to base this simply on the feel. A nice consistency; not as thin as I feared it could be but not too thick. It's a good robustness for the beer.

D: Well, the taste ruins this. What I'm left with after the drink this is a bitter taste on my tounge and a harsh dryness in my throat that's causing me to gag as I write this. (1,304 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -24%

Appearance: Hazy golden colored. Slight head. Very carbinated

Smell: Nothing. Nothing at all. Not impressed

Taste: Hop forward. Slightly harsh bittering hops. To style but not the best example I've had.

Mouthfeel: Tingly. Best part of this beer. Medium light bodied

Drinkability: Pretty nice. (297 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -23.2%

I think this is a pretty beer to look at. Beautiful amber color with enough opacity to make it mysterious. The lights of the room seem to glow inside my glass like a peach crystal ball. A good pour will produce a head worthy of a beer commercial.
The heavy pine and light citrus smell are inviting, the pine letting me know that there will be a tangy prick to the taste. First taste was full of alcohol, so much so that I had to look up the ABV percentages. The ethanol flavor dispersed and I was able to delve deeper. Unfortunately, the tangy prick I was expecting is a metallic or coppery aftertaste. The feel is watery and makes for easy swallowing but only part of my tongue seems to be able to taste this brew: the back bitterness sensors.

Not sure I'll get this again as it does not fit my palate. (804 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -22.4%

A - Pours a slightly hazy orange with a thick white hear. Decent head retention, keeps a thin layer of bubbles throughout.

S - Weak aroma. I do detect some citrusy hop character but it is much to faint for an IPA.

T - Some lime character, very dry and crisp with not a whole lot to back it up. Some fruity hop character to it. There is quite a bit of hop bitterness.

M - On the high end of carbonation. Light bodied.

D - Perhaps I would appreciate this offering more in warmer weather but I must admit I was rather disappointed. Not a bad beer, just a bit underwhelming. (575 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

12oz bottle acquired in trade with lb4lb (thanks for a new IPA!!!). Bottle stamped BB 06/16/09.

Poured a medium and hazy golden color with a huge sized white head. Aromas of pine, citrus, and a little fruitiness. Tastes of citrus and the same fruitiness. The body was thin and soemwhat watery. (295 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -21.6%

What follows is a review not easily written. I don't want to slag what is really a pretty decent ale... but I'm so disappointed.

So I'll explain that first. I went into the Single Wide having had the Double Wide on at least 3 occasions and not even knowing there WAS a Single Wide IPA. I think the Double Wide is a masterpiece. The Single Wide is just a bit better than average for an IPA (which is way better than average for beer in general) and I expected a lot. I realize that issue is with me and not the beer. I don't blame the beer or the good folks at Boulevard who do a GREAT job.

My first bit of apprehension came with the pour. Much lighter in color than the typical IPA. In fact if someone told me this was a Boulevard and didn't specify which I'd guess Boulevard Wheat right off the bat. There are flavor resemblances too.

Nose is bready... conspicouous absence of typical hop aroma I'm used to in a solid IPA.

It is IPAish but something is missing... can't place what. This is not to say this beer doesn't have the hoppy notes expected in an IPA... but it's more of a straight bitterness than a balanced hoppy, grassy, citrusy flavor. It's just kind of there and not very complex.

It's a good brew... not a great brew and that's what I was hoping for. I'd take it over many other beers but for IPA's put it in the 40th to 50th percentile. Just keep in mind that as far as I'm concerned anything above the 25th in IPA's is still going to be a drinkable ale. (1,475 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Best by date is 6/8/12.

A - Pours a translucent light amber. I got a little carried away with the pours, so I ended up with a massive, frothy/pillowy white head. Doesn't look to be too carbonated. Man, that head hangs around for ever.

S - Citrusy hops blended with a solid malt body. Nothing too strong going on here.

T - Lemony citrus flavors are what really stand out to me. It's not even really citrus hops - just kind of citrusy. As others have noted, this does kind of remind me of Boulevard wheat in an odd way.

M - medium bodied, a bit creamy feeling, a bit slick.

O - Overall, I was a bit underwhelmed by this beer. I expect some stronger flavors from an American IPA, and this just didn't quite get there. I get put a few back though. (801 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

Bb 01SEP12
Murky light amber with a solid soapy white foam sheet. Smells of grassy hops and an ESB style malt background. Flavor is bitter with grass, soil and bitter hops. Pretty euro IPA stylization if you ask me. Medium bodied with really hi carb, very foamy. Fine beer, easy drinking, but nothing above the rest. (316 characters)

12 oz bottle, best by 8/1/09. Pours a glowing hazy golden with a thick creamy head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is bready malts and grassy hops with a little pine and fruit.

The flavor is a little subdued and watery. It's got some floral spicy tarry hops with a tinge of sweet fruity malts that leads to a kind of flavorless bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, this IPA is not up my alley. It seems like a lot of the nose and taste is washed out except for the tarry bitterness in the aftertaste. (587 characters)

Boulevard Single Wide IPA: I have tried other Boulevard products, and they had a wheat beer flavor to them. The Single Wide IPA is no exception. The body is light yellow, and very cloudy. The head is big and foamy. This IPA looks like a wheat beer. Aroma has some hop to it, but also a lemony note. From a flavor standpoint there is citrus sweetness that is more wheat beer than IPA, even though the finish does have a bit of hoppy bitterness coming through. Mixed style beers, such as the Belgian IPA’s are coming into vogue. Boulevard has created a Hefe IPA with the Single Wide IPA. Finally I read the label, and yes, there is wheat in this brew. I like wheat beers, so I did like the Single Wide IPA. But if you were really craving an IPA, I think you would be sorely disappointed. Thus I have given this brew a low rating, more for misleading advertizing than for flavor and drinkability. (895 characters)

A: Very nice dark golden color, lighter orange hue with a thin white head.

S: Light citrus coming out at first also getting a good amount of pine.

T: Mostly bitter pine/grapefruit flavors in the mouthful, liitle if any sweetness.

Overall a decent offering from boulevard, great on a hot summer day (301 characters)

This thing billows madly even on a gentle pour, & I can see the carbonation doing the NASCAR up from the bottom of the glass. Lots of sediment which remains strangely stirred up by the carbonation. Doesn't smell like much, faintly malty & with a whiff of hefe-type grassiness.

Not much in the way of hops in this one, which is the way I like my IPAs. A razor's edge of bitterness, again with the malt & wheaty grass. <shrugs>. The over-carbonation works against it.

Boulevard makes some good shtick, but their IPAs aren't much to sing about. Average all around, extraordinarily ordinary brew. (602 characters)

Single-Wide IPA from Boulevard Brewing Co.