Single-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide I.P.A.Single-Wide I.P.A.

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

(Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -59.9%

1.9/5  rDev -49.2%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle, best by date of 8/24/09 printed on the neck. I was excited to see this along with the Irish Red now available in Colorado.

Appearance: Way over-carbonated, a slow pour results in half a glass of foam. Color is a hazy orange.

Smell: Something is a bit off - after the wild pour and a slight funk in the aroma, I'm getting worried.

Taste: Lots of hop bitterness, but the flavor isn't hops, its more of a funky note, and I can't imagine that is by design.

Overall impression: I was thrilled to see Boulevard hit the shelves in Colorado, but now I'm a bit worried. The Irish was mediocre, this is worse. I'm not sure if its infected, or just how this beer tastes, but I found it barely drinkable.

2.2/5  rDev -41.2%

On draft into a standard pint glass. Served to me with no head, so unsure on the pour. Color was pale amber with a slight haze. The nose is all pine hops with maybe a little malt background. The taste is all hops, in force, all by itself. It’s mostly piney, but not a lot of differentiating flavors. The palate was very watery and limp overall. To me, this was one of the IPAs that does hops for hops sake. There just wasn’t much of a flavor bill other than hops.

2.23/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured a cloudy amber with a big sticky off white head, good lacing.

The smell is very light for an IPA with just a hint of lemony hops.

The flavor has a very light bit of bready malts with a strong minty hop flavor with a touch of pine and grass. Slightly sweet initially with a strong bitterness quickly taking over and dominating the flavor.

The mouthfeel is light and a bit slick.

A very substandard IPA with a one dimensional harsh hop flavor, to many better versions out there to enjoy for me to ever add this to my fridge.

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

2.28/5  rDev -39%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Amber Yellow with a slight cloudy aspect from the yeast and carbonation. Presents well as an IPA. Laces well with an ok head about a finger thick, but that quickly goes away to just a very light head.

Smell: Not what I've come to expect from an IPA, almost no hops are apparent. I wasn't able to detect anything other than a slight wheat aroma. Not a bad smell, but not what I've come to expect from IPA's.

Taste: Just like the smell, the hops are barely distinguishable. This comes across a very weak IPA, not the strong hop presence typical of the type.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth with good carbonation. Average for a lighter IPA, nothing spectacular, but not bad either.

Drinkability: I can't say it's bad, just very underwhelming. This feels like it could've been a good IPA, but was toned down to appeal to people not accustomed to IPA's. Like an entry level example of IPA's.

2.33/5  rDev -37.7%

Best by 3/13/2011

Aroma: Lots of grapefruit and pine.

Appearance: Over-carbonated, thought it was going to gush out. Pours thick chunky off-white half a pint glass of head. Orangeish amber color. Particulates floating in the beer. Don't think I poured the sediment in but could have.

Flavor: Major grapefruit up front, followed by some pine and tangerine. A weird solvently hair spray flavor lingering in aftertaste. Decent malt backbone. High bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Dry. Alcohol noticeable. Appropriate for style.

Overall: What is up with Boulevard beers and this soapy hair spray flavor? It was in 3 of the 4 beers my friend brought back from Missouri. Not going to finish this beer. Obviously, other people are not getting this in all beers so would try again cautiously.

2.36/5  rDev -36.9%

2.6/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

beer pours a huge head easily 4 inches way to much would not dissipate color is dark yellow.. the smell is lemon and yeast smells not too much going on here the taste is worse it was lemon sour taste a little hop and malt and citrus ... this tasted more like a wheat or a Belgian ale(not a good one cause i like Belgian ales).. mouthfeel was acidic and yeasty.. not a very drinkable brew.. i dont know maybe i got a bad bottle will try again..but for now the worst IPA ive reviewed

2.63/5  rDev -29.7%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery. No visible best before or bottled on date.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with pretzels.

A: Pours a five finger head of little (if any cream), poor thickness, and great retention - though it does seem overcarbonated. No lacing. Body colour is a clear copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Translucent. Fairly vibrant. Typical of the style.

Sm: Floral hops, hints of citrus, clean malts, wheat, and soap. Some zest. An average strength aroma. Pleasant.

T: Floral hops, clean malts, hop bitterness, vague citrus, and grapefruit. Imbalanced and badly built for the style. Rather mediocre. Lacks complexity and subtlety.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Carbonation is about right. A bit thin.

Dr: Drinkable but pedestrian. A disappointment from Boulevard. I wouldn't trifle with this again. A mundane IPA.

C-

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Cloudy (expected from a bottle-conditioned beer) amber color with lots of bubbles. Half finger width head lasted most of the time I drank it. I'm not good at describing aromas, so I'll just say I like the nose of this beer. My wife, who is sitting next to me as I drink it, even commented that it smells good. Taste is where this beer really falls flat for me. Decent bitterness, very grapefruity, but not much else. It isn't well rounded, and seems to me like something is missing. Mouthfeel is medium-heavy. Overall, I'm not impressed, and will not be buying more of it.

2.72/5  rDev -27.3%

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

Single-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.