Single-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide I.P.A.Single-Wide I.P.A.

good

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from their 12oz bottle...

Appearance - Poured nearly 3 fingers of thick bumpy yellow cumulus clouds, color of the beer is a gorgeous cloudy yellow amber, tons of carb bubbles, almost champagne like. There is very nice lacing being left in the glass.

Smell - Whoah, lots of citrus here, especially pineapple and lemon, also getting some spiciness like coriander, and faint banana bread, almost like a hefeweizen, hmmm...

Taste - Starts with tart citrus flavors of grapefruit and strong lemon, then there is some malt and wheat bread and yeast flavors at the center, quickly followed by some spices like coriander and white pepper, finishing with grassy and floral hop flavors, finishes a tad bitter and dry, with citrus pockets in the corners of the mouth. I literally get a tropical fruit whiff in the sinuses while drinking this.

Mouthfeel - This beer is actually very smooth, just short of creamy thanks to lively medium carb that explodes across the tongue half way thru the sip. Very drinkable, goes down easy.

Overall - This looks, tastes and drinks alot like a hefeweizen with stonger citrus notes and grassy floral hops on the backend. I see the IPA characteristics here, but this looks, tastes and even feels far more like a cross between an ipa and a wit/hefeweizen. A very interesting take on an ipa, one that I enjoyed, and would try again. Very sesionable at 5.7%, no alcohol presence.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.38/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light amber, with plenty of carbonation. Lace is well-done, about 2-fingers on my Viking glass.

Nose is as malty as it is hoppy. Not bad, but not what I'd expect from an IPA.

Flavor is easy and mild, with citrus dominating the profile. A little bitterness in the finish. Overall, a simple and solid IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Boulevard Single Wide IPA: I have tried other Boulevard products, and they had a wheat beer flavor to them. The Single Wide IPA is no exception. The body is light yellow, and very cloudy. The head is big and foamy. This IPA looks like a wheat beer. Aroma has some hop to it, but also a lemony note. From a flavor standpoint there is citrus sweetness that is more wheat beer than IPA, even though the finish does have a bit of hoppy bitterness coming through. Mixed style beers, such as the Belgian IPA’s are coming into vogue. Boulevard has created a Hefe IPA with the Single Wide IPA. Finally I read the label, and yes, there is wheat in this brew. I like wheat beers, so I did like the Single Wide IPA. But if you were really craving an IPA, I think you would be sorely disappointed. Thus I have given this brew a low rating, more for misleading advertizing than for flavor and drinkability.

3.48/5  rDev -7%

A - Good head, full bodied and substantial particulate.
S - Almost spicy for a IPA. Interesting, but not very floral. Lacks in citrus.
T - It's a good APA. Nothing special. Hoppy, but not very. Not too floral, not too citrus-y. I would say this is an easy drinking IPA. Resembles their wheat beer, which was odd to me. Also had a malt hue to it. I dislike malty IPA's, and this stayed clear enough for me to enjoy it.
MF - Some of the bottles lacked carbonation to me.

I enjoyed the beer. It was the best I could do when I was back home for Christmas. Boulevard won't let you down and it's a safe choice. I do enjoy more bold attempts (than this) at the American IPA.

1.5/5  rDev -59.9%

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Single-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.