Single-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide I.P.A.Single-Wide I.P.A.

good

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

I bought a six-pack of Single Wide IPA in a gorcery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a hazy gold color. Yeast particles are suspended in the beer. There is a frothy wide head that breaks down to bubble cap on the beer.

Smell is faint but a sweet fruity aroma. Hints of orange and lemon.

Taste is a sweet citrus flavor, with grapefruit and lemons. There a hint of grain flavor up front, but the citrus and pine flavors take over immediately.

Mouthfeel is light crisp and clean, with a mildly bitter aftertaste.

All in all a very drinkable IPA. Because of availability it won;t be a staple at my house, but if I lived in the mid-west this could be a regular

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Tasty, with a bitterness that punches far above its ABV weight. Pours a clear, bright orange with a medium head. The aroma is mild, slightly spritzy orange, but not strong. The flavor, however, is strong and orangy, with a rich, forward bitterness, like licking the rind of a blood orange. The malt balances it with a slight sweetness and a long, satisfying bitter finish. This beer reminds me of a slightly sweeter offering from Stone.

4.12/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from bottle

A- Hazy golden honey in color, massive head, very frothy

S - Get lots of pine and citrus, hops are evident as well.

T - I really like this taste; getting the pine and citrus woven in nicely with a generous amount of hops, with the finish giving off some more pine.

M - light bodied with medium carbonation.

D - Very nice

3.82/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a slightly hazy pale with very little head. I'm willing to forgive the lack of head because it came out if a growler and it might have had a bad seal. There is an incredible amount of hoppiness to th ebeer which I enjoy, especially at a lower abv for the style. As someone who likes to drink in quantity occassionally, I appreciate an IPA that isn't 7% or more.

Poured from bottle into a pint glass. A really agressive pour will yield a huge head, much like the Double-Wide version. Slightly hazy straw-colored body.

Good hop aroma featuring floral and citrus notes. Does not seems to be leaning toward sweet. A touch of malt toward the end.

Solid hop bitter flavor. Citrus and pine, then some grapefruit. A touch of sweet, bready malt balance on the back end.

High level of carbonation, and a medium to light mouthfeel. Overall, I like this version, especially the overall flavor, a little better than the Double-Wide version. I think the flavors blend better.

3.05/5  rDev -18.4%

A little pick six action instead of dollar macro's at the bar. First taste of Boulevard or any Missouri beer. 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A- Pours hazy but nice golden honey color. White fluffy head, recedes down to thin cap. Lacing sticks to glass and hugs the edges.

S- Hop heavy in the nose. Floral, citrusy, fruity notes all over the place here. A little bready malt aroma hinted at the end. This is much a much better smell than I have experienced with single wides!!

T- Very sharp, bitter, hoppy taste to this beer. Piney, citrus hops dominate the first and middle of this drink. Bitterness starts out big and fades to a smaller amount through the drink. Hard to get much of the malts here, which are needed to balance a little more of this beer.

M- Medium body, lots of carbonation, almost to much. Bitterness and dry in the mouth.

D- Very interesting IPA here. It has more hops than I expected, which I like a lot. The front end is great, however the ending needs work. The lack of malt balance brings it down. Seemed over carbonated at times too. I may pick up another and try it again at some point, but will hesitate to pick up another.

3.12/5  rDev -16.6%

A - Pours deep gold hue with floating sediment. Small 1 finger white frothy head with good retention and sticky lacing. First time trying Boulevard, not sure how I feel about all the floaties.

S - Lighter than some IPAs I've tried but nice and floral, citrus up front that fades into a robust bready malt.

T - Citrus and pine to taste but not very strong, lots of focus on the malt, caramel and bready seems like the hops are playing back a bit, not what I like in an IPA. The bitterness is there, strong and drying.

M - Decent carbonation but rather thin even with the particles. No mouthcoating or resin feel which is good.

Well first experience with Boulevard, I will come back but this IPA seems somewhat underwhelming in terms of the great world of IPAs out there.

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured this IPA from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The color was orange and golden. The beer was a little hazy and had lots of particles in suspension. This is probably partly due to the yeast they add to their bottles for conditioning, however in their other beers the particles in suspension were not as prevalent. I think some of this must be from tannins in the hops but I cant say that for sure. For this i give this beer below average marks for appearance. The smell was stronger on grapefruit then it was hops. This is not to my liking for an IPA. The taste was very malty and watery upfront, it gives way to grapefruit as the dominant characteristic. The beer finishes with only a slight hop taste it mostly comes across after you have swallowed. This is a below average IPA. Nothing stands out about it. Sorry Boulevard- IPA Fail.

2.43/5  rDev -35%

Best by 3/13/2011

Aroma: Lots of grapefruit and pine.

Appearance: Over-carbonated, thought it was going to gush out. Pours thick chunky off-white half a pint glass of head. Orangeish amber color. Particulates floating in the beer. Don't think I poured the sediment in but could have.

Flavor: Major grapefruit up front, followed by some pine and tangerine. A weird solvently hair spray flavor lingering in aftertaste. Decent malt backbone. High bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Dry. Alcohol noticeable. Appropriate for style.

Overall: What is up with Boulevard beers and this soapy hair spray flavor? It was in 3 of the 4 beers my friend brought back from Missouri. Not going to finish this beer. Obviously, other people are not getting this in all beers so would try again cautiously.

2.94/5  rDev -21.4%

A - Pours a slightly hazy orange with a thick white hear. Decent head retention, keeps a thin layer of bubbles throughout.

S - Weak aroma. I do detect some citrusy hop character but it is much to faint for an IPA.

T - Some lime character, very dry and crisp with not a whole lot to back it up. Some fruity hop character to it. There is quite a bit of hop bitterness.

M - On the high end of carbonation. Light bodied.

D - Perhaps I would appreciate this offering more in warmer weather but I must admit I was rather disappointed. Not a bad beer, just a bit underwhelming.

3.97/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle to pint glass

A: Very nice dark golden color

S: Light citrus and hoppy smell

T: Very tasty fruity and hoppy but too overwhelming on either

M: Crisp and a little bitter on my tongue

D: Easy to drink

Love the yeast in the bottom of the bottle

The logo on the bottle is very nice.

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

I poured a 12 oz bottle into a glass mug...

The beer is a cloudy golden color with a thick, white, bubbly head. It smells mostly of orange, peach and tangerine. The taste consists of lemon and wheat with an orange peel hop bite. This is a pretty light beer, still full of flavor though. It has lots of carbonation, but it's good carbonation. After you take a sip it leaves the mouth nice and dry. This is a highly drinkable beer, it's full of citrus flavors. I could drink a lot of these.

Poured from bottle into a tulip glass, best by 06/17/2011 stamped on bottle.

Appearance: Light amber with a foamy white head. Nice retention and lacing. A light amber with lots of floating particulate.

Smell: Strong grapefruit aroma with some spice.

Taste: Piny hops come through to dominate the taste, with some citrus and pepper. Less citrus than the smell. The complexity of the flavor comes from a variety of hops. I could have used a bit more maltiness to balance the hops, but a hop-lover will enjoy this.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied but not watery. The hops lingers on the tongue but does not dry the mouth out over the duration.

Drinkability: A nice hops bite without drying the mouth out and without lingering too long. I could use a bit more malt personally, but I think this is still true to style.

3.3/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Cloudy looking golden color with a beautiful 2 1/2 finger pure white head.

S: Very citrus like. Grapefruits the most present. Some faint malts in the back but not much.

T: Same as the smell. Very citrusy and grapefruit essence with quite a bit of bite. Nice carbonation with a very bitter finish.

This was an average beer, not great but not bad. Out of the few IPA's I have ventured out on a limb to try, this was very bitter. The taste was also a little thin for me, not watery, just lacking some malty backbone to all the bitterness. Being that bitter with no substance hurts the drinkablilty, but still a good beer. Good brew Boulevard Brewing!!

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane (I think). According to the stamp on the neck, this is best by February 25th, so I'm apparently hitting this just in time.

Poured a very hazy orangey gold color with a huge, sudsy white head that went nowhere fast. Lots of lace.

Big grapefruit aroma up front. As it warms up, some bready malt notes perk up, but its the hops' show.

Sharp citrus flavors constitute most of the flavor, along with some mild maltiness in the background. Not the biggest flavor I've had from an IPA, but whats here melds together well.

Medium bodied, with a prickly mouthfeel.

A good, not great, IPA. I'm glad I tried it, but with so many great beers in the style that are available to me, I'm not sure I'll need to come back to it.

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured into tumbler-style pint glass. It was interesting to see twist-off caps from a "micro-brew" craft-beer brewery.

Appearance was a hazy, unfiltered medium amber color with two and a half fingers width of head which left a very nice amount of lacing around the glass and showed very good head retention.

The aroma was a very floral, citrusy, hop smell, with a smell of pale malts and some two row barley scents as well.

The flavor starts at the tip of the tongue with a sweet flavor and gets more citrusy and bitter towards the finish. "Hop-heads" will likely like the amount of hops in this IPA.

Very fine beer all in all...

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz brown bottle

Single-Wide IPA was hazy and yellow-orange in color with some fine sediment floating about. It had a rocky beige head with good retention and lacing. The smell was full of citrus hops. The taste was hop forward as well with grapefruit, lemon, and a little pine. The finish was dry with some bitterness. The mouthfeel was good with a medium body and medium carbonation. Drinkability was good as well. This is a solid well-made IPA that I will be buying more of.

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Boulevard Smokestack tulip glass. Beer was consumed instantly after pouring as yet another delicious nightcap (seems to be a theme lately).

A: Beer pours a pale golden color almost like that of a nice honey. An off-white fluffy two-finger head forms atop the liquid and settles fairly quickly in the tulip to a thin cap. The beer itself is pretty hazy (from the bottle conditioning). Nice lacing clings to the side of the glass. A little lighter than most IPAs, but visually appealing in its own way.

S: Aroma is heavy on the hops. Citrusy and piney hops jump from the glass, which play well together. I also got a more significant than expected bready note from Single Wide. There are some yeasty elements to the scent as well. Different than I had anticipated.

T: Taste is primarily hop-centric, both in flavor and in bitterness. Hop flavor is citrus, floral, and piney, again mixed in a very pleasant way. Hop bitterness is fairly intense for a "smaller" IPA, mostly due to the lack of a real malt profile. I did pick up on some minimal bready notes in the flavor. No malt sweetness to speak of which leads to a lingering dryness/bitterness on the tongue.

M: Single Wide is certainly crisp and refreshing in the mouth. A little less oily than some IPAs. Carbonation lends to the crispness. Finish is dry, dry, dry. Perhaps lacked a little body, in my opinion.

D: High marks here for the sheer ability to have several in a short period. Very full of crisp hop flavors and bitterness for a beer that comes in under 6.0% ABV (5.7% to be exact). I wanted more but had to sleep.

O: Another delicious local craft brew from our friends at Boulevard. The addition of a solid every day IPA to their line made me a very happy man, and it has become a staple in the fridge. Highly recommended to those dipping their toes into the craft beer pool.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Draught @ Natasha's in Emporia, KS: This one poured a fairly clear, golden color. There was about a finger of off-white head that lingered a bit and left a fair amount of lacing. This one has a nice aroma. /mainly citrus hops, with a touch of pine hops in there also. The taste is good. A fair amount of bitterness, but not overdone. Citrus and pine hops most prevalent. Decent malt body behind it. Fairly clean and crisp. A decent IPA

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear golden yellow with about an inch of white head that had good retention and lacing.

The aroma was mostly pine and floral hops, with just a bit of grain in the background. The flavors were very similar, no surprises, just solid hop goodness and a bit of grainy malt.

The body was fairly typical, crisp and clean. Drinkability was pretty good, I could have a couple of these. Actually, if it were on tap consistently around me I could see it being my go-to IPA.

Overall, a very nice brew, certainly worth checking out.

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

Enjoyed in a pint glass at Fox N Hound in Chesterfield Valley (Chesterfield, MO).
2nd Review... Enjoyed on-tap for $2.50 @ Fox N Hound in Chesterfield, MO. Finished with their Fish n Chips.

(1st) Appearance- Amber color, cloudy throughout, and 2 fingers of head
(2nd) Appearance- Clear Golden/Amber body with 1 Finger of head that died quickly. A huge netting of lace was left on the side as well.

(1st) Smell- Extreme hops with citrus. Awesome!
(2nd) Smell- Citrus hops upfront and a grassy/floral combo as well. There are a complexed amount of hops in this Single Wide IPA.

(1st) Taste- Almost has enough hops to be an IPA. There is a caramel twist inside and has the best complex flavor possible. Have enjoyed in a bottle many times as well.
(2nd) Taste- Funny that I said "has enough hops to be an IPA" before. I think the Style from BA was an APA even though this is clearly an IPA. I hit on these huge citrus hops again and pale malts were contributed to a great end of drink bitterness.

(1st) Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied with good sensations as it hits my palate
(2nd) Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, Small Carbonation, and smooth tasting IPA!

(1st) Drinkability- Very hoppy, but a sensational ale. I would say this is my favorite of Boulevard's and can always turn people onto this ale. Ordered another one after my first tasting. Could only drink two or three though, takes a while to drink this ale.
(2nd) Overall- Once again, has enough hops to kill a man, but I dig this type of IPA. Would like to try doing 2 tastings/reviewings of many beers I list on BA but like to move onto as many as possible.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

On tap while enjoying a delightful Arsenal game.

A - very light golden color with no obvious carbonation. Very small head that leaves a lot of lacing. Almost looks like a light beer

S - nice hoppy citrus but with a little honey twist

T - light hoppy bitterness counterbalanced with a touch of sweetness in the finish. Not much malt

M - lightly carbonated with a bit of butteriness and enduring bitterness; quite pleasing

D - the lightness of this brew really doesn't represent its 5.7% and it seems one could drink it all night (or day as it is a good thirst quencher)

Nice drink - good summer beer.

3.79/5  rDev +1.3%

I had this beer on gap at Johnnys tavern in Shawnee. Watching the KC playoff game. The appearance is light amber and clear to see through. Boulevard usually bottle conditions their bottles but I don't know about tap. So I wasn't super impressed. But I love this beer for an everyday IPA. Nice hop character and perfect citrus flavor makes this very drinkable. Great beer for a football game.

Wow! What a surprise. I was on vacation in the Black Hills / Rushmore area and dined a few nights in a small town restaurant. I tried several offerings that were new to me. This wasn't one of them, but the locals directed me to a local grocery store that carried a decent selection. As I prefer IPAs, I grabbed a six of this and struck gold. I saved one for the holidays and now I am out. Time for a road trip!

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Golden coppery that tends to amber when viewed darkly through the thick of the glass. Slightly hazy with a huge off-white head, but minimal lacing.

S: West coast hops - more citrus and resin/pine. Sweet grainy malts with light caramel notes. Pretty good, but none too strong - especially when compared to palate.

T: Reasonably firm and nicely complex hops. First, is a big grapefruit/citrus start that is very fruity (as opposed to rind). Second, is a pretty good dose of resin & pine. There is also some grassy/herbal character floating around in there. And even some peppery & spicey hints. Malts are softly sweet and vaguely grainy with faint, light caramel notes. Some fruity esters are present, but pretty minimal. Not a hop bomb, but hops are the focus. Everything else is just along for the ride.

M: Medium body with carbonation on the firm side. Crisp with a slightly drying finish.

D: Complex if unfocused hop profile on a malt base that supports and yet stays out of the hops way. A quite nicely balanced IPA and very drinkable. Very solid, but not remarkable. Not over the top either, and with its reasonable abv it is sort of a session IPA. It could maybe use a touch more body to chew on while contemplating the hop schedule.

(from notes - tasted April 2010)

Single-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.