Single-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide I.P.A.Single-Wide I.P.A.

good

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

(Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

BBD: 8/22/09

Last bottle from Memorial Day weekend 2009. Poured into a pint with two fingers of sticky, sturdy foam that puffed above the surface. Retention was great, the foam lasted the duration of the glass. Initial aroma was like orange candy, but it quickly mellowed into light pale malt and hop spice notes.

Bitter hop flavor, somewhat leafy with grapefruit pith and cut grass flavors. Slightly astringent, maybe a little aspirin chalkiness. Other than that, it was easy drinking, with a light and quenching feel. A 6-pack disappeared lightning fast over the holiday weekend. Would drink again, it's not a bad bbq beer.

emerge077, May 26, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Pours a fairly hazy golden color with a big, frothy two-finger head. Good head retention. Not a whole lot as far as lacing.

S - Mostly citrus hop aromas with a little bit of sweet, bready malt.

T - Pretty strong on the grapefruit hop flavors with some a hint of floral notes and pine in there as well. Balanced with some caramel and bread malt flavors. Slightly bitter, but not very intensely so.

M - Medium bodied and fairly resinous with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Not a bad beer, but not really anything special, in my opinion. Something about this(maybe the yeastiness) reminds me of a hefeweizen. A pretty decent, interesting take on the AIPA nonetheless. Goes down smooth and has a pretty nice hoppy zing to it.

GarrisWH, May 24, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Despite a fairly easy pour this beer produced a massive white head in my pint glass, so much so that I had to pour it in three hits!. The beer itself is a cloudy pale golden colour.

Aroma is pleasantly bready with a hint of resinous hops, but it's fairly muted - I had to take a few good deep sniffs to get a good feel for it. I had no such problems finding the flavour. Very citrusy and bitter with oodles of resinous, piney hops. The finish is quite bitter, but subtle. A very easy-to-drink beer, I find.

omnigrits, May 18, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

pours out of the stubby 12 oz. bottle a hazy and dirty golden colour, with a thick frothy egg shell white head that sticks long and hard leaving ample lace. of course the aroma is all hops with ripe tangerines wallowing about with hints of spruce and pine. the malty sweetness only accentuates the fruity, flowery nose. i'm sure my wife has some lotion that smells exactly like this. the taste is a nice balance of sweet bready maltiness and bright citric hoppiness. lots of orange/grapefruit/lemon notes and much less of the herbal and pine needle aspects. not overly bitter and never blisters the tongue too badly. the mouthfeel is pretty delicate for a hop bomb such as this, and the body is almost seemingly light and airy....making for great drinkability. there is no doubt that a sixer could be consumed in the course of a few hours this one drinks so well.

overall, a nice, very flavourful IPA with tremendous drinkability. nothing to find fault with here. a summer quencher for sure.

budgood1, May 12, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a 12oz into my trust pint. Mountains of thick head, uber carbonation and thick, lasting lacing... had a hard time fitting the beer in my glass. Appears a cloudy, pale amber almost yellow color with tons of bubbles. The smell is a little one dimensional, piney hops and hard water. Taste is kicked off with a mild touch of piney hops and digresses into a sweet smooth finish that leaves your mouth feeling wet. Tipping back a sixer of this is not out of the question. Good offering.

BDLbrewster, May 07, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

This was poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - hazy (from bottle conditioning yeast) golden color with a thick foamy head, great retention

S - strong citrusy American hop aroma, malt present but in the background

T - malty at first, American hops noticed immediately afterwards throughout the flavor profile, modestly strong hop finish that lingers a bit

M - medium body, moderate carbonation

D - This is a very enjoyable American IPA. I might not perhaps be my all-time-favorite of the style, but it's well done and tasty. Boulevard continues to impress me with the new beers they introduce. I really think this major regional brewery is raising the bar of quality for beer in the US.

scoobybrew, May 07, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden yellow, very fizzy w/ strong carbonation. Yeasties floating about. No lacing along the sides.

S: Lemony-citrus hops present. Trends to a slight tangerine aroma as well. I do get a hint of grassiness. No malts.

T: Fruity sweetness followed by a very strong bitter bite. The flavoring hops give off flavors like lemon zest and grassiness. The fruitiness blends with the citrus to give a tangerine like quality. Very citrusy, but unfortunately the bitterness is a bit harsh.

M: Very light bodied and dry for an IPA. Maybe a little too much. Crisp and clean.

D: Not the best flavors I've had out of an AIPA, but a worthy effort. What makes this beer so drinkable is the price $6.99 a sixer. It is really light bodied which adds to the drinkability. If the flavors were bit more on, I would give this the full five points. This will be my back up IPA when I'm trying to save a few bucks.

brewdoc75, May 06, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Nice pour, hazy orange gold with an amazingly retentive, bright white head.

Smells wonderfully balanced, medium-strength hops with mild nodes of lemon and grapefruit against a lightly sweep malt. Not powerful, but that's okay.

Tastes almost exactly like it smells, nice balance, good hop complexities, but not all that strong.

This here is the poor man's Alpha King, which considering the fact that I'm poor and that they don't sell Alpha King around me it makes it a pretty great beer, in its own way.

mynie, May 06, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz stubby poured into an imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy, like an apricot of fuzz with a tough of bright yellow gold. Head is supper fluffy, big fat bubbles fill the glass to near the brim.

S: Reminds me a lot of Two Hearted, hoppy almost to a point of being metalic. Citrus peel, orange rind and grapefruit, very very fruity but a touch of malty sweetness is able to assert itself just slightly against this wall of bitterness.

T/MF: A bit boozy actually but that could be a perception of how bitter this beer is, beer is piny now while a bit of fruit still remains. Very earthy, very piny, again to a point of being almost metallic, but pulled back just enough from becoming unbearable. Aftertaste is incredibly lingering as I could probably be tasting this for days.

D: A solid beer, I'd risk saying it a poor man's Two Hearted but flavors and aromas are not as easily picked apart or as distinct. But for 3 bucks less a six pack you get what you pay for and it ain't thatbad at all.

bluemoonswoon, May 04, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. The beer pours a hazy honey, pale golden color with a big white head that stays around almost till the last sip leaving decent lacing. The head for me was huge, don't know why but of all of them in the six pack they all were like that. The aroma is piney and hoppy and kind of has that traditional and familiar IPA smell. I think it's pretty good. The taste is piney, citrusy, and bitter. Taste wise I think it's pretty average/above average but it doesn't excel. I've had better IPAs but I've also had worse ones and this one definitely isn't bad by any means. This isn't an IPA I'd go out and get all the time but I would pick it up again. It's easy to drink and is a pretty nice IPA.

dismal, May 03, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Translucent light copper. Single finger, good lacing. Would have liked a deeper color.

Piney, grapefruit, malt. Somewhat light, more floral than powering.

Little chewey, somewhat wet. Light malt, pine present. Something unnatural, though not harsh.

Light, abv light. Couild use a little more malt to counter act ~6%

Good. might desire some more aroma

Id move forward instead of moving back to it

JasonA, May 03, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Purchased at The Cellar in Olathe, KS...

Appearance: Yellowish orange color. Slight one finger head that dissipates quickly. Very sticky lacing that clings to the inside of the glass the entire way down.

Smell: Smells heavily of fruits and pines. The hop smell isn't very prevalent, but it is there.

Taste: Subtle hints of citrus. Lots of juniper and conifer pines. The hoppy bite hits on the back of your tongue.

Mouthfeel: This is a fairly light IPA. It's not overly malty nor do the hops overtake your palate.

Drinkability: This is definitely an IPA I could drink a few of (or a six-pack) during a single sitting.

COBeerBuff, Apr 30, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz. Poured a hazy pale yellow with a decent off-white head. Aromas were floral hops with orange and grapefruit - pleasant. Tastes were also floral hops, orange, and grapefruit with hints of pineapple - some Belgian notes also? Finishes somewhat bitter, but crisp and balanced. Overall, not a bad IPA, not a great IPA. Pretty good representation of the style - but on the milder side.

barnzy78, Apr 29, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Drank it in a hefeweizen glass. Looks like real beer- has an irregular looking head that retains fairly well with some lacing. The bubbles are rather large. Great quality for the price. The nose is on the money, but it seems a bit weak for the style. The mouthfeel is about average but there is some stickiness that I like. I am a fan of the taste of this beer, it reminds me of their pale ale, but the hops are brighter and jump out at you. They linger a bit longer, too. Not a super-hoppy beer, just a well-made, highly approachable IPA.

I paid just over $7 for a sixer, after tax and deposit. I might have to move to Europe or Wisconsin to find a better value than what boulevard puts out.

ETM, Apr 29, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Dark gold color and very cloudy. Light frothy head and mild prickle. Nice nose of wheat/grain and malt. Very mild hops attack that intensifies into a strong hops flavor before finishing relatively clean. Very little aftertaste and what there is would be described as mildly hoppy. Pretty tame IPA with broad appeal. I would say that this is a very drinkable beer and could be a great intro IPA for someone scared by the style.

Ragingbull, Apr 28, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Served on-tap at my first visit to the Austin Flying Saucer. Thanks to SSW117 for the heads up on the (secret) Fire Sale!

Pours an attractive, almost hefeweizen-looking, hazy peach-copper body. Decent retention on the fluffy bone-white head, which leaves a few splotches of lacing along the inside of the pint glass. Fruity aroma to this IPA, as notes of mango, pineapple, and bubblegum balance nicely with a breaded, biscuity malt backbone. Lots of hops, too, with suggestions of floral grass and pine.

The flavor is where this IPA shines. Excellently balanced resinous hops and toffee malt all the way through the finish. The only thing keeping it from a perfect score was a slightly stale note on the first part of each sip (could have been bad tap lines, but I'm fairly certain this was a freshly kegged beer). Nevertheless, the overall mouthfeel was excellent, with a medium body, lively carbonation level, and a lingering, resinously bitter aftertaste. Like its bigger brother, Double Wide, the "Single" version presents a nice hops showcase and a solid backbone of complex malts. Quite sessionable as well, although it doesn't quite cut it as a top 50 IPA in my book.

wagenvolks, Apr 26, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A--Pours a murky yellow/golden color with about two fingers of head using a standard pour into my pint glass. Recedes at a moderately slow pace and leaves a bit of lacing.

S--Big citrus/flowery hops. Mostly orange peel, little bit of banana, dandelion, white grapes, pineapple, spices. Very good.

T--Very clean hoppiness, balanced between earthy and citrus tones with a strong but not overwhelming splash of bitterness on first sip. Oranges peek though, so does some apple peel. Just a bit less bitterness would have made this one better to me, but as is it is still solid.

M--Medium bodied, average for the style. Unfortunately it leaves an empty bitterness on the aftertaste. I don't mind a lingering bitterness, but this doesn't have much flavor to complement it. The carbonation is very soft and velvety which is a plus

D--Ehh, I can't say I'm too excited about this beer. Up until it hit my tongue I was salivating at the thought of what it was going to be, but the taste was a bit of a letdown. I don't want to knock it too much because it was still a very solid IPA, just not one that I personally would seek out again. I would definitely recommend purchasing this if you run across it though, you might find it to be a gem!

alcstradamus, Apr 25, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Had this at the saucer in austin tonight.
Poured in to a 22oz glass (happy hour!)
Was a nice cloudy looking IPA, the nose was cirusy, piney, and a hint of malts.

The taste was a slight bite on the tip of the tongue that mellowed out as it journeyed down the palate. This is a very well made IPA and pretty damn smooth. Reminds me alot of masala mama with a tad more bite to it/bittering going on.

I could drink this all damn night well actually thats what I did. several 22 ouncers later I find myself drinking water because it snuck up on me.

Be caustious when drinking this beer its that damn good and sessionable

BgThang, Apr 25, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours golden with a white rocky head and decent lacing.

Smells of floral hops and a piney nose with a slight malt aroma.

taste is quite crisp and pleasant that really isn't as big as I thought. Good but fairly underwhelming. Would be a great session beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit too overcarbonated and drinks fast. a bit too fast.

naterock, Apr 25, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured this beer into a Surly pint glass.

Purchased from HyVee Wine and Spirits on the east side of Ames.

Date on bottle: 09083 1006 A; best by 8/21/09

This beer pours a nice half inch white head with medium to large bubbles of carbonation. In just a minute since pouring this beer the head has fallen, but still thinly covers the beer completely and there is a lacing left behind that has full coverage between the beer and the top of the lacing. The color is golden to very light brown color.

The smell is sweet and floral like a lemon blossom. Smells of lemon zest and fresh hops.

The beer is light bodied and when it first touches my tongue I get a slightly sweet crisp hop flavor that resonates at the tip of the tongue. When the beer falls to the back of the throat I get a bitterness that reminds me of the taste you have in the back of your throat after a big night out ;)

The mouthfeel is light, but not without substance and therefore it makes the carbonation more noticeable. It doesn't burn much, but what I do notice is that it burns the roof of the mouth.

The drinkability is good. I can see myself drinking a six pack of this over an evening with friends and food. It's not something I would take my time with, but it is very good to have a hoppier beer at a good price here in Iowa.

Overall, I can imagine myself picking this up once in a while and enjoying drinking this with friends in a social setting.

Erdinger2003, Apr 24, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Bright tangelo with honey colored trim. Swirling yeast slows to the suspended animation stage within seconds, adding a bit of visual interest. The bone colored cap looks pretty good and is sticky enough to coat the glass with a fair amount of lace. The second and final pour murks things up beautifully.

The aroma is classic for the American IPA style. It's primarily pale malted (caramel malt is barely appreciated, if at all) and delivers a pleasant shot of citrus fruity hops. The lineup includes Magnum, Centennial, Columbus, Summit, Cascade and Pallisade. Those first two are shared with Double-Wide IPA and the rest are unique to this ale.

Single-Wide IPA is similar to its bigger brother in that it's solid without being spectacular. More than a bottle rocket, less than a Roman candle. Although I'm still not 100% sold on the hop bill, it's an improvement over the varieties used in Double-Wide. Cascade may be overused, but I still love what they add to hoppy beer.

As suspected from the color and aroma, pale malt is dominant by far. There's enough of it to provide a pretty decent sugar cookie-like backdrop for the flavor and bitterness of the hops. In addition to white grapefruit and bitter orange, there's some grassiness and an herbal vibe as well. Complex hop flavor is rarely a bad thing.

Even though the ABV is on the low end (which allows Boulevard to distribute this brew to this state, thank goodness), the mouthfeel belongs on a slightly bigger beer. It won't win any awards, but it gets the job done with style.

It looks like I'll be buying more Single-Wide IPA than Double-Wide (D)IPA. This beer has a more delicious hop profile, is more drinkable and is less expensive when volume is taken into consideration. Given the state of craft beer in the state of Iowa, I'm grateful that Boulevard decided to brew a year-round IPA. And a tasty one at that.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 23, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -21.1%

12oz bottle acquired in trade with lb4lb (thanks for a new IPA!!!). Bottle stamped BB 06/16/09.

Poured a medium and hazy golden color with a huge sized white head. Aromas of pine, citrus, and a little fruitiness. Tastes of citrus and the same fruitiness. The body was thin and soemwhat watery.

hopdog, Apr 23, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Attractive, hazy dark-gold beer. Pale white head, light and frothy, it rose big off the pour and sustained nicely.

S-Herbal, perfumy hop aromas, with a bit of resiny character.

T-Herbal and resiny hops with a very good bitterness, assertive and appropriate, providing a strong opposite to the subtle malt presence. Finishes resiny and bitter, with a slight malty sweetness, but dry feel.

M-Bitterness provides that puckering dry feel. Medium body, carbonation is a smooth medium level.

D-Quite good. Differs in its hop character from the "typical" American IPA, in an enjoyable way.

CHSLBrew, Apr 22, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

I received this one in a nice trade with the great BA everetends - Thanks Gilly! Poured from a stubby brown 12oz bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A= This ale poured an extremely cloudy dark gold color with a HUGE 3" sudsy white head. The head took a very long time to settle, and left behind a lot of lacing.

S= Not an overly aromatic beer for sure, but it did throw some decent sweet malt, tropical fruit, and piney hop aromas.

T= Again, really good but not great. The malt base was sweet and fruity, the hops were mostly pine with a touch of citrus. Finish dried but not enough IMO.

MF= Medium bodied with a moderately crisp feel.

D= Like I said, a good but not great IPA. Still, its tasty enough and very drinkable.

spointon, Apr 21, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this on tap at The Stable in St Louis.

This is a great beer from the second largest brewery in Missouri.

Great citrus and a little pine in the aroma. A really well-balanced beer with nice hop and citrus flavors. This has just the right amount of body/carbonation that I like. It left pretty amazing lacing on the glass. I wish I had my camera. This is a great session beer.

Wheelinb, Apr 19, 2009
Single-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.