Single-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide I.P.A.Single-Wide I.P.A.

good

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

(Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -7%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Hazy light orange with nice foamy white head and slight lacing.

Smell: Light citrus and sweet toasted pale malt - not too much aroma.

Taste: Bitter throughout, with some orange and toasted malt upfront, and then turns more spicy and herbal, with a hint of pine. While not overly bitter, there is not a lot of flavor beyond that.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, very dry finish.

Drinkability: Quite refreshing and even enjoyable, but I just wish there was a little more complexity to the taste and certainly the aroma.

Pours a dark gold with a solid, lace-leaving, head. The nose suggests a very hoppy IPA with a huge citrus fruit nose. The taste is similar, although we have hints of a malt backbone that is rather quickly overwhelmed by the citrusy hops. Hop bitterness finishes. Body is medium with fair carbonation.

This is one of my staples; it is a solid, economical, and highly sessionable IPA that tastes delicious. There are certainly better IPAs out there, but you can't go wrong with this one.

$6.47 + tax for six pack of bottles.
Two bottles poured into glass stein.

A - Beautiful copper golden color. Danced with hazy bubbly madness on side of stein some lines in an orderly fashion others mostly, not. Perfect one inch thick white doughy head. That hung around a deal of time after pour.

S - Bitter hoppyness. Fruit, and spices up front. I hinted at specific notes like maybe banana or clove.

T - Sweet upfront. Hoppy bitter goodness in the middle, and a strong hop taste in the back. Lingering sour/bitterness.

M - Not too carbonated. Perfect viscosity. My slight burps were not half bad either. Weird.

D - I could get a six of these in me no problem.

I have drank this one before, and thought it would be wise to wait and review it again, once I started to understand the IPA style a little more. And it was a smart move on my part. My taste is maturing more now and changing so hops is what I wanted specifically tonight. Its perfect. It would seem most open minded people could drink this and appreciate it. I think for the stated 56 IBU rating its rather "mild" on my palette. Yes it is upfront. Yes it lingers. Yes I would recommend it and drink it again.

I will take another.

Best by 1/2/2011 stamped on the neck. I'm guessing it's dated 6 months out which means this is super fresh, at less than a month old.

Pours a cloudy orange color with two fingers of light beige head. Head is pretty fluffy and settles slowly, eventually settling to a thin, full lace. Really not much stick on the sides at all though.

Smells of grapefruit and orange, plus a bit of grass and some pale malt sweetness. Pretty basic IPA nose but it's fresh and pleasant with a nice amount of citrus.

Taste also consists of a pale malt base, with a bit of a cracker like sweetness to it, and some orange and grapefruity hops with a bit more grassy hop flavor than the nose, as well. Bitterness is pretty modest, packing a bit of a punch but not overwhelming by any means. This has a nice balance of flavor and

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a good slickness to it and a crisp finish. Good amount of carbonation.

This is a really solid, nicely balanced IPA that I think I will look for with regularity when I travel to Missouri for work. Especially when it's this fresh. Good stuff.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz bottle into a SA pint glass.
Got this courtesy of a trade with wnoble. "Best by" date was 1/2/11. Poured a cloudy amber/gold with a two-finger head that quickly settled into a coating. Lacing was light. Nose was lemon, orange, and grapefruit with some grassiness. Taste had a nice hop bite but pretty well balanced or even on the sweet side, Prevalent were grapefruit, lemon, orange, pine and some sweet caramel malt. Finish was moderately dry. Mouthfeel was medium, creamy and with a decent amount of carbonation.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Nice looking ipa, pours honey-golden with a head that fades quickly.

Nice hop aroma, a little bitter orange and grapefruit mingling with some resiny funk.

The taste is good, the hop come through nicely and fade a bit, allowing a slight malty sweetness to peek through the bitter hoppy haze. It's not very aggressive, but the fine carbonation contributes to a very refreshing and palate cleansing brew. I like it.

The hop astringency and carbonation invite another sip, which I gladly took until the last.

This is a nice ipa, nothing spectacular, but a really solid beer that I would happily have again without fear of it overwhelming any food I might pair it with. It's not an experience in an of itself, but just right for when I want a flavorful beer that uplifts my palate. Well done.

4.58/5  rDev +22.5%

got a sixer of this while on a trip to "omaha":

A: pretty straw colored brew, heatly generous white head is slow to settle. hard to evaluate lacing: drinking this from a paper cup from the hotel (sad)

S:outSTANDING. nice piney hops to the nose. Not sure if this is dry hopped but I expect that's a big yes.

T: again, GREAT: this is right up to the Stone Brewing standard.

M: a bit more carbonation than I expected, but not bad. Also a bit less on the ABV, but I can have another to compensate for that.

D: I will state this is a session IPA because...it's all that good. I am getting worried that I wont be able to find this when I get home. option is to drink lots of it before I leave!

Copper shade of amber with a million tiny suspended particles and a rocky white head that leaves some scaps of lace on the glass. Nice floral and citric C-hop nose with mild caramel malt notes. Well balanced between pale and caramel malt and citrus fruity hops. The flavors aren't extreme but are well balanced. Medium bodied thanks to the ample malt base with prickly carbonation. A really nice session IPA that feels a little bigger than it's ABV.

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%

One of the lighter IPAs I've had, both in terms of color and ABV. Definitely not enough hop aroma for an IPA, would be OK for a regular APA though. Taste is very smooth, I like the body that this beer has, and gives a good impression of malt yet still retaining a level of dryness. Still a bit lacking on hop flavor for an IPA though, yet detectable levels of citrus are there from the C-hops. No pine character from what I could tell. I was decently happy with this beer, just think it should be better labeled as an Extra Pale Ale rather than an IPA, because I still think that it falls a bit short of what I consider to be a pretty well followed standard for IPAs. Would definitely drink again though.

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

From a trade with rudge75 at Half Pints. Thanks Dave!

Hazy honey colour with a nice finger of off-white head. Nice retention and lacing. Looks quite a bit like the only other bottle-conditioned IPA I've tried.

Lychee, grapefruit, caramel, wheat, flowers and even a little weisse character come out in the nose. Nice.

The nose does not follow into the mouth. Not-totally balanced hops are lacking in character and the malt could be increased. A little mineral-y. There's a touch of sweet malt but this one is mostly an anonymous rind-y bitterness. Dry citrus rind finish. Not terrible but not too interesting either.

Medium body and a little on the foamy side.

Meh. Not bad but nothing I'd go looking for again. I've had too many great IPAs lately to be interested in something mediocre like this.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours an orange yellow with a very nice head with large bubbles. Smell is earthy hops and lemon zest. Taste is more of the same with subdued earthy hops, lemon, some tropical flavorsand a touch of sweetness. Minimal bitterness is present making for a very drinkable beer. After having this next to a Green Flash West Coast, this is way mellow and very easy drinking for an IPA.

Poured from a small bottle. Orange color. Decent head, good lacing down the sides. Smell is excellent, a little hops, clover, fruit. Taste is very good. Smooth for an IPA but there is a little zest to it. Less hoppy than most, which I think is a nice change. Full mouthfeel, easy to drink. Good beer. One of my favorites from Boulevard.

A: Hazy pale orange yellow in color. Pours with a huge 2" plus of rocky white head. Excellent retention and lacing.

S: A bit muted. Toasty grains. Grassy, earthy hops. Maybe some grapefruit.

T: Toasted grains followed by a bright citrus bitterness that sticks around for a while. Not a lot of hop flavor, but a pleasant blend of malt and bitterness.

M: Medium in body with appropriate carbonation.

D: A very good, easy drinking, more-or-less balanced everyday IPA.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Poured a semi-hazy orangish color. Two finger off white head that has some amazing retention to be honest. Nice thick lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- The hops in this one are aggresive in the citrus realm mostly grapfruit. Some light pine overall but only in hints for me. Light malt undertones make this beer pretty good overall in the aroma. Nothing too over the top but nice smelling altogether.

T- Citrus hops come shining right off the bat with more tropical flavors in the inital burst. Some light caramel malts in the middle get shunned away with another hopping lightly of citrus with some bittering in the ends. The ending of this has some piney bittering to it. Nothing over the top but a light earthy hop taste.

M- Medium mouthfeel overall. Carbonation is good for the style. Hop flavors in the palate leave everything in a citrusy overload that lasts long into the aftertaste. One sided on the flavor but clean tasting overall.

T- A nice drinking IPA overall. Sixer of this was good and drank fast. Nice sessionable drink that didn't destroy the palate. Good beer from Boulevard that seems to go with all their beers.

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured yellow-amber into a Duvel tulip with a finger of fluffy white head (good retention before fading to a thin film).

Nice but not overly assertive aroma, slight caramel sweetness and citrus mixed with vaguely soapy pine. Moderate carbonation and a full mouthfeel. Some citrus bitterness followed by creamy biscuit notes and more caramel. Twangy pine bitterness on the finish that grew more prominent as the beer warmed.

Note: better from the bottle than when I had this on tap.

3.31/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A little yellow colored. Meh. Aroma was fractured, small amount of hops and that macro corn aroma, despite knowing with all reasonable certainty that it isn't part of the recipe. Decent enough I guess.

A little bitterness in the taste, all hop boil, no dry hop taste quality. Taste bitter more than a hop quality. Too carbonated. Too much caramel, sweetness, not enough hops. You just taste bitter for the most part on the back 1/2, gets easier to drink, and the price is right, but

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

A: A light orange color. This white head which clings to glass and dissipated fairly quickly. Reasonably clear.

S: Only moderately fragrant. Grass and oranges

T: Flavorful but not overbearing. Lots of pine. Some lemons. A little bitter, but enjoyable.

M: Medium body, medium to high carbonation.

D: Enjoyable, but I would not take more than one at a time.

4.38/5  rDev +17.1%

Best by 10/23/10 -- done. Beer served in a shaker pint. Beer is yellow and really hazy. Forms an off white head that has some staying power. Carbonation is fine and moderate, tiny bubbles. The head leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is nice and piny with good hops. A little one dimensional but still good.

Beer is really bitter. Some would probably say too much but not me, its really chewy bitter in the back. I like it a lot. It reminds me of my first attempt at a homebrew IPA. Yum.

Body is medium and there isn't a lot of sweetness in there. Just a lot of hop juices. Wow. I like this beer a lot.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: hazy, murky medium-orange color with a solid finger of rocky ivory foam. Head retention is OK but not great.

Smell: light, sweet malt aroma with nice citrusy and floral hops greeting me. Underneath those are some slightly more earthy and funky tones; to me, this beer smells like optimism.

Taste: sweet, citrusy flavor. Here there's a bit of a cider characteristic which doesn't work as well for me in an IPA. I do like the idea of a sweetish IPA, but this one doesn't seem entirely right. Still, it's not bad.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a nice, well-integrated carbonation which I rather like; it's got a little cream to it.

Drinkability: rather refreshing. Flavor is light and bright; so, while it may not epitomize the IPA for me, it's still a right quaffable brew.

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%

Extremely carbonated, this one pours a hazy golden amber color, with a huge three inches of rocky white foam. Somewhat floral aroma here, grapefruit, pine and freshly mown grass. Flavors of caramel malt and the aforementioned hops. The heavy carbonation makes for a weird mouthfeel, which drastically reduces my enjoyment of this beer. OK, but nothing more.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

I am normally a double IPA fan, so the single is really not my thing. But this was a really nice surprise.

Nice appearance. Darker side of the IPA range but good. Nice head retention.

Smell was good. A bit more piny/woody then what I expect from a single IPA.

The taste was very nice with hints of heavier style hops. Nothing really citrus or sweeter flavored. No malt flavor.

Mouthfeel was good. It was nice and balanced. Good carbonation.had the full body that you expect with an ale.
Overall I would recommend this beer to anyone looking for a regular IPA with some good flavor. I realized while opening the first one that the beer had actually expired and was sold past its best before date. So maybe that makes a big difference.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a good billowy head. The aroma is that of citrus and pine. the taste started with a light citrus and continued to a slight bitterness. It has a nice medium body with a nice balanced feel with a dry finish. This brew is much better than I expected. Another solid brew from Boulevard.

Poured into a snifter on 12/18/09

Best by 12/27/09

Cloudy tangerine with highlights of orange & gold. A billowy two finger head dissipates slowly, leaving patchy rings of lace on the inside of the glass. Very good retention & lacing throughout.

Big citrus hop aromas cut through the remaining foam with notes of grapefruit, tangerine & orange. Floral hints with undertones of pine. There isn't too much in the way of malt, just some toasted bread hidden in the back.

Spicy hop bitterness greets the tongue; pine is more appreciable than in the nose. Dense citrus flavors follow - grapefruit, orange, tangerine & a touch of lemon zest. Hints of yeast are pervasive. Similar to the nose, the malts play third-string role: just a dry toastiness is to be found, though as the beer warms it appears there are a few faint notions of caramel.

Medium body with ample carbonation. The bottle conditioning seems to have made it quite lively. Surprisingly, few residuals linger on the finish.

Drinkability is quite good. While I prefer the Double-wide, as a counterpart Single-wide is well conceived & executed. How I wish Boulevard distributed to Ohio. Definitely worth a shot.

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Dark golden color low head nice carbonation
S- Sharp American hop aroma citrus pine grapfruit with a pungent backing
T- Hop Bitternes rushes out 1st kinda clouds taste at 1st grapefruit steps on pine steps on bitterness with malt trying to say hello
M- this aspect gets clouded by bitterness
D- Great early representation of an IPA but something is lost in the balance or lack of it

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- a cloudy orange color with absolutely no head. Tiny bubbles rise to the surface from the bottom of the glass. Murky sediment is equally dispersed throughout the beer. I'm not sure if this is how this beer normally looks, but with no head and lots of sediment, I wonder if this is the bottom of the batch.

S- Smells just like an American IPA should. Roasty malts with lots of grapefruit/pine hops. A hint of lemon can also be found when the glass is swirled.

T- Not as malty as the aroma would suggest! The grapefruit hop flavor is the dominant trait of this beer. A little lemon and pine is also detected. Single-Wide is a very dry and bitter beer and not for those trying their first IPA. A good flavor in my opinion, but I've tasted more balanced IPAs before.

MF- Lots of carbonation! You can almost feel the bubbles popping on your tongue.

D- A good IPA and well worth the price. With its low ABV this could be a great session beer if you can handle all of the carbonation.

Single-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.