Single-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide I.P.A.Single-Wide I.P.A.

good

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

(Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single-Wide I.P.A. Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Recent addition to the tap rotation. Arrives a mostly hazy straw yellow color with a light lemony hue throughout. A soft white head with ok retention but good lacing.

The nose is a moderately hopped IPA. More of a east coast style IPA with balance between malt and hops. The hops come out nicely with more of a lemon grass and herbal aroma. The malt has more of a biscuit and bready smell that lingers. Some minor yeast and a light estery/plum aroma that is very distinct. Mostly clean though

The taste is similar. The hops come out a bit more then the malt relative to the nose. Some citrus notes with orange and grapefruit blend nicely with a herbal, grassy and lemon note. Some sudsy in the finish but not over the top. The bready notes are there with a slight flour like finish to them. Leaves a dry finish but also enhances the bready notes. Some yeast notes that are a bit of a deterrent in the finish.

The body is moderate but a bit dry in the finish. Carbonation is a bit low. Overall a good IPA, very easy to drink, but some yeast issues and bready issue really leave me wanting more.

Oxymoron, Mar 30, 2009

Super solid IPA, shocking right? A good no frills beer from Boulevard.

Pours a nice orange hazy color with a big stiff head. Smells like C-hops, very American. Taste is a bit sweeter than I expected, but it balances well with the hops. Overall a nice example of style.

Mouth is full bodied and well carbonated, pretty much perfect.

Fatduck, Mar 29, 2009

Got this on special. It was outdated. I was not worried since the hops would be a good preservative.

I poured this and got a nice fluffy head on a lighter than normal(for an IPA) color. Color was gold with a tinge of orange and some carbonation bubbles. The nose was nice and citrus. The taste is mostly citrus with nice hop profile. Not much malt in this one but it is very appealing to drink and has a nice mouthfeel. The ABV is not as high but beer is still slightly warming. A very good offering for the style.

daledeee, Mar 28, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a semi-hazed apricot with a finger of sand colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: lots of grassy & lemony hops

T: Grassy, lemony & some grapefruitty hops up front, plus a bit of grapefruit. Grassy & flowery hops are dominant as this warms along with slight breadyness. Finishes crisp with citrus hops & dryness, almost pulled 4.0

MF: Medium bodied with low carbonation, plus nice balance

Drinks really easy, not the most exciting AIPA, but I predict I will be drinking loads of this once Summer hits

russpowell, Mar 28, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks goes out to bort11 for this one.

Best By: 08/22/09

Pours a very nice cloudy golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice two-finger foamy white head, with lots of sticky lacing left behind. The nose is hoppy, with some malt notes, citrus/pines. The taste is hoppy, nice little malt balance, nice touch of citrus/pine notes. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a tasty brew, no Double Wide, but still pretty tasty.

Wasatch, Mar 27, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy, yellow body with a large, expansive, white head.

Smell: Citrus hop scents and a touch of pine ahead of a humble pale malt backing.

Taste: Pale malts with a light sweet and faint taste of caramel. Hop flavors of lemon zest, grapefruit pith, and pine needles. Medium-high hop bitterness that's no doubt accentuated by the endlessly crackling carbonation. Finishes dry, fizzy, and with a light, lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-high carbonation.

Drinkability: Alright already, Boulevard. Think we can ease up on the overly prickly carbonation now? Enough is enough. It's like the beer equivalent of Pop Rocks. Anyways, beyond the bubbles, it's a solid India Pale Ale.

ChainGangGuy, Mar 25, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Hazed, orange brew with highlights. White head chills with big bubbles on top; lasts a while and leaves some pretty damn good lace.

The nose is very citric, with a hint of pine late. The malts are mellow, only a touch of caramel with a deep whiff. Also on the nose is a prominent ester component - like bubble gum in this case, but contributing to the fruitiness.

There's an herbal component that's also on the nose; present in the flavor as well. The body is quite light - rather drinkable but actually ratchets the complexity down a notch from the nose. The hops are prominent, with notes of lemon grass, white pepper, citric peel, and grapefruit. Far more reminiscent of a Belgian IPA than a West Coast IPA.

Body is light-medium, sharply hoppy and with a solid carbonation kick. A little sweet, but easy on the palate. Should be good sales for Boulevard; hopefully it leads some to try the Double Wide and so on. As for me, I'm not "impressed" but I find the single to be interesting and palatable.

BretSikkink, Mar 25, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer has a pale color with a decent cream color head. You can smell a ton of floral hops. It has a good balance of the citrus hop flavor and a light, sweet malt flavor. It has good bitterness as well. Light body and carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer.

BeenJammin, Mar 25, 2009

What follows is a review not easily written. I don't want to slag what is really a pretty decent ale... but I'm so disappointed.

So I'll explain that first. I went into the Single Wide having had the Double Wide on at least 3 occasions and not even knowing there WAS a Single Wide IPA. I think the Double Wide is a masterpiece. The Single Wide is just a bit better than average for an IPA (which is way better than average for beer in general) and I expected a lot. I realize that issue is with me and not the beer. I don't blame the beer or the good folks at Boulevard who do a GREAT job.

My first bit of apprehension came with the pour. Much lighter in color than the typical IPA. In fact if someone told me this was a Boulevard and didn't specify which I'd guess Boulevard Wheat right off the bat. There are flavor resemblances too.

Nose is bready... conspicouous absence of typical hop aroma I'm used to in a solid IPA.

It is IPAish but something is missing... can't place what. This is not to say this beer doesn't have the hoppy notes expected in an IPA... but it's more of a straight bitterness than a balanced hoppy, grassy, citrusy flavor. It's just kind of there and not very complex.

It's a good brew... not a great brew and that's what I was hoping for. I'd take it over many other beers but for IPA's put it in the 40th to 50th percentile. Just keep in mind that as far as I'm concerned anything above the 25th in IPA's is still going to be a drinkable ale.

shakeheap, Mar 24, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

This is one I've been anticipating for a good bit. I have kept grabbing something else and finally picked up a sixer tonight.

A: Hmmm...I'm a little confused. This beer looks very similar to Boulevard's Wheat. A hazy golden color, that reminds me of wheat.

S: Very grassy and lemony.

T: I have to agree with some other posters: (reluctantly, as I previously thought they just couldn't appreciate my local area brewery) this taste in some ways like a hefi. It's very lemony and grassy. I do disagree with some, because I do taste the hops. It is not the most overwhelming IPA I've had, but I believe the bitterness is there enough to put it on the light end of the style. It is wierd though, like a IPA hefi hybrid.

M: Is typical of an IPA, kinda light and no malt heaviness.

D: Pretty drinkable for an IPA, but remember I said it was on the lighter and of the style and hefi like as well. It goes down pretty smooth. Not what I expected, but not a let down either.

johnnybgood1999, Mar 22, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a hazy golden yellow color. 1 inch head of a white color. Good retention and great lacing. Smells strongly of hops and some earthy malt in the background. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level and a strong bitterness. Tastes of strong hops up front, slight lemon flavors in the background, a slight earthy malt flavor, a slight sweetness, and another hops flavor in the finish. Overall, a little better than an average IPA, but one of my favorite Boulevard's now - worth a try. One of the most drinkable IPA's I've had.

Tone, Mar 21, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

Was not super impressed by this IPA. It Pours a light brown with a thin tan head. The nose is quite sweet with some floral hops in there as well. The taste is also on the sweet side needing more bitter hops to bring it together. Medium body is a bit thin. Not a bad brew, just not my idea of an IPA.

rye726, Mar 20, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

12 oz bottle into a pint gotta be fresh - its a new release

A - Pours a light golden color. Is somewhat opaque from a small amount of hazing. My guess there is yeast in there from BLVDs usage of bottle conditioning. Head formation is vigorous, but then dissipates to a light white film.

S - Piney and floral. There is a nice strong grassy hop scent all over it. A light amount of sweetness hangs around in the background.

T - Starts off sweet - a strong malt backbone. Bitterness moves in quickly with a hair of hops backdrop. Finishes with a huge bitterness and hoppy hit. Does leave behind a potent bitter bite.

M - Thick and creamy - for the ABV of this beer, the body is surprisingly strong. The mouthfeel is what i would associate with many cask ales - almost frothy.

D - Very easy to drink. ABV is higher but manageable. Carbonation, while moderate to strong, is not not weighing down my palette.

After enjoying DW from BLVD, I'm actually thinking this is an improvement. Finally an IPA commonly available in Iowa that I am proud to put in my regular rotation.

katan, Mar 20, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

Received this as a bonus on a trade from Monsterfast. Thanks man.

A: Pours a darkish lemon to washed out amber color with a ¼ inch soapy white head. Lacing looks like dish washing suds, draped on the side of the glass on pour and continues like a sheet of foam to the bottom after finish.

S: Fresh lemon and citrus nose. Smells very refreshing without being indulgent. Where are the floral hop notes?

M/T: Light to medium body, watery and a good amount of carbonation. The lemon taste is pretty powerful and a little one dimensional. I have never tasted this much lemon in an IPA before. Even with the lemon aspect, this beer is hugely refreshing and finishes exceptionally clean. However, this beer reminds me more of a Hefeweizen then an IPA. I detect little to no hop presence whatsoever.

D: I struggled with this beer, on the one hand I found this beer hugely refreshing and tasty. On the other hand, it really didn't seem to belong in the IPA family. Its barely even pale. However with the light body, low bitterness and virtually zero aftertaste, I could session this beer. Not a pallet killer!

DrewOSU, Mar 19, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Got this trailer trash, uh I mean beer from homebrewhawk thanks for the beer.

Poured into a pint glass at 46 degrees.

Appearance: There is a light amber color with an orangish hue . There is a monster 3 finger head that is foamy and bubbly. The head is white and the retention is lacking a bit. There is ton of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is hazy but some light does penetrate. The head clings to the side of the glass like spit wads on the ceiling.

Nose: A ripe grapefruit and lemons with a nice floral esters. The malts are there in the beer with a hint of sweetness.

Taste: Okay the ripe grapefruit and lemon degrade to a slightly overripe. The hops are in the beer, but the backbone is slightly week.

Overall: The mouth feel is astringent and carbonated. The body of the beer is medium and the bitter finish linger for a moment. Boulevard making an IPA is a bit out of the ordinary for me. Most of Boulevard beer are mediocre to okay. This beer is mediocre. I just wish the nose meshed with the taste it would have been a great IPA.

colts9016, Mar 18, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -17.1%

This pours a slightly hazy very bubble and foamy light gold. I couldn't get to the smell before the taste as I kept on having to drink some of the foam down.

The smell is pretty one dimensional..it smells bitter. Mostly from lemon.

The taste starts of with that lemon followed by some grass and light pine but really, I can't get any malt flavour out of this at all. I'm a big fan of Boulevard so I'm a bit taken back at this offering.

It has a good medium mouthfeel but the carbonation is way over done, imho.

Drinkability? Not so good. I'll be glad when I'm done with the bottle and my other bottle....I'll probably try to see if I can trade it away. Other peeps *do* like it, it's just not a brew for me.

Bitterbill, Mar 15, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -7%

This beer pours into a pint glass with hazy yellow-orange color and a tall head. Nice retention and lacing on the glass.

Aroma is soapy citrus with a bit of floral.

Flavor is unique but I'm glad I tried it. The reason being that I've heard of "soapy" IPAs before but had never had one. This is definately what this beer is. Floral lady soap with a dash of lemon pepper.

Mouthfeel is okay but it seems over carbonated and slightly lacking in body. I think the big carbonation and soap combination makes it really feel like a mouthfull of suds. Drinkability suffers on all of the aforementioned characteristics.

GilGarp, Mar 12, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -49.2%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle, best by date of 8/24/09 printed on the neck. I was excited to see this along with the Irish Red now available in Colorado.

Appearance: Way over-carbonated, a slow pour results in half a glass of foam. Color is a hazy orange.

Smell: Something is a bit off - after the wild pour and a slight funk in the aroma, I'm getting worried.

Taste: Lots of hop bitterness, but the flavor isn't hops, its more of a funky note, and I can't imagine that is by design.

Overall impression: I was thrilled to see Boulevard hit the shelves in Colorado, but now I'm a bit worried. The Irish was mediocre, this is worse. I'm not sure if its infected, or just how this beer tastes, but I found it barely drinkable.

rowew, Mar 10, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Slightly hazy golden color with a substantial dense white head that hangs around producing some decent lacing.

The aroma is citrus - grapefruit, hints of lemon and tangerine - with pine resin and some grassy notes over a subtle biscuity malt.

The taste is similiar with a very definite grapefruit note up front, followed by pine resin and biscuits. The finish is dry and heavy on the piney, grassy hops.

Medium bodied, with plenty of carbonation, easy to drink and not overpoweringly bitter. Altogether a very nice IPA for hop lovers.

whynot44, Mar 08, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

beer pours a huge head easily 4 inches way to much would not dissipate color is dark yellow.. the smell is lemon and yeast smells not too much going on here the taste is worse it was lemon sour taste a little hop and malt and citrus ... this tasted more like a wheat or a Belgian ale(not a good one cause i like Belgian ales).. mouthfeel was acidic and yeasty.. not a very drinkable brew.. i dont know maybe i got a bad bottle will try again..but for now the worst IPA ive reviewed

gatornation, Mar 08, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Served out of a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Bronze color with, holy smokes, the largest head I have ever seen out of any beer. I poured the second one ultra slow, and just a tremendous head of this beer. Stays throughout.

S: Smelled very hoppy, with no malt or sweetness.

T: Left much to be desired to be honest out of an IPA. It wasnt as malty as other IPAs, which left it unbalanced. As well, the hops were very singular in taste. It tasted like a 2 hop ale, leaving it uncomplex. It was more like, say, an Amber Ale with way more hops but no more complex in taste.

Mouthfeel: Good, not too carbonated, not too watery.

D: Very drinkable considering the non0complexity of this beer. I expected more from Boulevard on this, seeing as their Double Wide is so much better.

acelin, Mar 07, 2009

Poured from the bottle a hazy golden-yellow with a massive white head that lasted to the end.

Nice aroma of lemon and grassy hops along with a pinch of malts.

Opens with a hit of hoppy bitterness followed by caramel maltiness for balance.

Medium bodied, dry, and moderately carbonated.

A nice sessionable IPA from the folks at Boulevard. Enjoy one.

Monkeyknife, Mar 05, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Falling Rock Tap House had this one as well as some other Boulevard brews. That's good to know.

The Single Wide is an AIPA, but almost tastes like a 2IPA. A nice looking beer. Cloudy golden with a dense head that just did not quit. It stayed at about one finger, a quick swirl even 3/4 of the way down produced a 2 finger head. Good lacing.
Hops are dominant. Some citrus and flower, but mostly resin and pine. Alcohol comes out, too.
Not a very balance IPA. Hops are strong. Again, citrus and pine. Grassy, like dry hay on a hot summer day. This is a darn fine beer, perhaps a bit heavy on the hops. Malt was not present.

Mebuzzard, Mar 04, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a hazy golden color with a large whit head that hung around for awhile. Moderate amount of lacing is left on the glass surface. I smell citrus and grassy aromas from the hops. Large hop aroma but nothing from the malt. The flavor is likewise dominated by the hops. Lemon, orange, and grapefruit is detected. Nothing from the malt. I would of liked to see some presence from the malt. A touch overcarbonated leading to a harsh finish. The body is on the lighter side. Nice low ABV and appealing if one likes nothing else getting in the way of the hop flavor.

morimech, Mar 03, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into New Belgium Globe.

Appearance: Pour a huge fluffy/rocky white head. That lingered for a bit leaving some nice lacing. Has a hazy light golden amber color.

Smell: Mmmm hops. This has lots in the nose. Some grassy notes, lemon zest, orange zest, grapefruit, some piney notes. There is a faint hint of some toasty malts underneath all the hops.

Taste: Taste mimics nose some what. Lots of piney notes, a very nice grapefruit like bitterness. Orange zest, lemon zest. Nice balance with some sweet/toasty maltyness. Very well balanced.

Mouth: Sort of thin in the mouth, a nice mild carbonation keeps it bright on the tongue. Leaves a nice mouth cleansing aftertaste.

Drink: This is going to be my go to hoppy beer. Drinks like a dream, one of my favorite IPAs. Very solid offering from Blvd.

turamarth, Mar 02, 2009
Single-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.