Single-Wide I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide I.P.A.Single-Wide I.P.A.

good

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,656 | Reviews: 490

3.84/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed on tap at Red Lyon in Lawrence, KS. Served in a standard 16 oz tumbler glass.

Appearance - Pours a brassy orange-brown hued body with just a touch of haziness, but is mostly translucent, allowing me to see through the glass to the other side. Atop the body sits a one finger head with a slightly tan shade to it. Retention is moderate, with the foam sticking around for a minute or two before dissipating to show an alternating mix of film and clusters of thicker suds along the surface of the liquid. Lacing is visible and sticky on the sides of the glass as I drink it down.

Smell - A nice blend of hops provide for notes of citrus fruit and some tropical notes, as well as a more gentle floral component to the overall aroma. Beneath the mix of pineapple, orange zest and flowers is a healthy base from the malt, imparting a nice rustic biscuity profile to the aroma. The smells blend well together, giving an undeniable impression of balance.

Taste - Picks up right where the nose left off, with nice characteristics of orange and citrus zest, with just a hint of the more pungent grapefruit pith giving a pleasant bit of bitterness. There is still a nectar-like floral component here, but it is far in the background, giving way to the fruit, and now, the crackery pale malts that give this beer a nice backbone for the hops. In a day and age when IPAs are climbing over one another in a rush to make the fruitiest, juiciest IPA, this one provides a level of balance that is refreshing.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied and moderate carbonation, with a slightly chewy feel on the tongue.

Overall, an IPA that is just solid. I can find nothing about which to complain, but it's also not the type of IPA that screams to be purchased every time you see it on a shelf. Part of that is due to it's availability, but part of it is also due to it being just a good brew. That said, it likely exceeds the options on most non-craft bar/bottle shop tap lists, so I actually drink it a fair amount.

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bright, clean, refreshing and easy going down! Very pleased to have this after a tough day. A bit watery in the mouthfeel but not to much to complain about here. Not a stunner but very good indeed!

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Couple bottles sent in a recent trade.. It's nice being able to try this after having the Double-Wide as well. Best by 10/16/09.

- Nice mostly clear copper-penny color.. thick white head.. down to a pillow-top of lace maker...

- Big piney hop notes.. little bit of spice, and some floral to blend... balanced with a roasted-like caramel malt.. slightly burnt and/or crisped. Little bit of alcohol and pepper.

- Bit of a peppery roasted caramel flavor balanced very well with a fruit salad of malts... almost like a grainy and or walnut ridden waldorphs salad... some interesting spices and bittering hop..

- Bit oily and chewy.. but not bad... crisp bite.

- Kind of potent, bit of an alcohol flavor and burn.. but overall very well balanced.... hard for me because I am so used to fresh northwest grown hops... more pine and bitterness in these.

4.27/5  rDev +14.2%

A- Tangerine-orange colored, hazy body with a big, bubbly, pillowy head. Lacing is decent, foamy

S- The smell is phenomenal with a distinct yeast/grain flavor typical to rising bread. Of course there are loads of American, citrus-flavored hops.

T- Flavor is mellow besides the glowing hop profile of stingy bitters.

M- Relatively light with foamy carbonation.

D- A damn good, bottle-conditioned beer from Boulevard, probably the best from their regular line-up. I have a great respect for the bottle-conditioned beer that can tame the yeast monster.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

I bought a six-pack of Single Wide IPA in a gorcery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a hazy gold color. Yeast particles are suspended in the beer. There is a frothy wide head that breaks down to bubble cap on the beer.

Smell is faint but a sweet fruity aroma. Hints of orange and lemon.

Taste is a sweet citrus flavor, with grapefruit and lemons. There a hint of grain flavor up front, but the citrus and pine flavors take over immediately.

Mouthfeel is light crisp and clean, with a mildly bitter aftertaste.

All in all a very drinkable IPA. Because of availability it won;t be a staple at my house, but if I lived in the mid-west this could be a regular

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

On tape @ The Firehouse Pub & Grill, Meridian ID. Served in a pint glass.

A: Beautiful sunset, golden orange, just the slightest touch of haze on the nearly clear body. The creamy, eggshell colored heads sticks to the glass in horizontal rings.

S: Nice floral, citric hop profile; flowers, orange peel, grapefruit...small caramel malt backbone & lightly toasted bread. The hops are sharp and crisp.

T: Grapefruit becomes more prominent but the orange & orange peel character is still there, as well as the floral component. Not much malt here at all, and I like it.

MF: Good bitterness...good dryness, not overwhelming, but definitely there. Crisp, light mouthfeel.

O: Really impressed, this is one of the least expensive offerings for a craft IPA out there, and I've always passed it up. That won't happen again, as this is a fine example of a mid-west IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Clear copper body with one and one-half fingers of off-white foam; decent duration and nice lacing on my right hand man, the Duvel tulip. Good hopped-up nose, plenty of the C-hops--Centennial, Cascade, and Columbus--to offer a fine, citrusy nose. Good taste as well--orange peel, grapefruit--smooth with decent hop grit. Little malt presence, with a hint of caramel. Easy to consume, a steady, delicious IPA.

As with the brilliant Founders Curmudgeon, I thought I had tried this before but realized I hadn't after all. I'm glad I got around to it. The word to me that best describes Single-Wide is sturdy. It's a solid, well-hopped, accessible, and delicious IPA, not spectacular, but certainly good, one I'll return to again and again.

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Tasty, with a bitterness that punches far above its ABV weight. Pours a clear, bright orange with a medium head. The aroma is mild, slightly spritzy orange, but not strong. The flavor, however, is strong and orangy, with a rich, forward bitterness, like licking the rind of a blood orange. The malt balances it with a slight sweetness and a long, satisfying bitter finish. This beer reminds me of a slightly sweeter offering from Stone.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

4.27/5  rDev +14.2%

Orange in color with a thick off-white head. Also, some yeast floating around in the brew. Not much lacing on the glass.

Bitter hop aroma of pine and citrus lure me in for a sip.

Hops are robust, citrusy, soapy and delicious. Just a touch of caramel sweetness in the malt. Surprisingly smooth for an IPA, the flavors are well blended.

Sturdy medium-body and adequately carbonated, drying on the palate.

A hop-lover's dream. Very drinkable and balanced despite the tons of flavor.

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

1.9/5  rDev -49.2%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle, best by date of 8/24/09 printed on the neck. I was excited to see this along with the Irish Red now available in Colorado.

Appearance: Way over-carbonated, a slow pour results in half a glass of foam. Color is a hazy orange.

Smell: Something is a bit off - after the wild pour and a slight funk in the aroma, I'm getting worried.

Taste: Lots of hop bitterness, but the flavor isn't hops, its more of a funky note, and I can't imagine that is by design.

Overall impression: I was thrilled to see Boulevard hit the shelves in Colorado, but now I'm a bit worried. The Irish was mediocre, this is worse. I'm not sure if its infected, or just how this beer tastes, but I found it barely drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to Beerman207 for the hook up on this one. It's been in my fridge for a few weeks and I kind of forgot about it, so I figure it's best to get it drank before it sits any longer. Review is from notes taken on 2/25/2012.

Appearance: Pour is a hazy and light golden/coppery color; strong carbonation bubbling up throughout and there is plenty of floaties in the body from the additional yeast used at bottling; starts with a fluffy, one-finger, slightly off-white head with decent retention;

Smell: Smell is pretty solid when I first crack it and I love the blend of the bitter and fruity hops with the sweeter aspect from the yeast; really reminiscent of grapefruit.

Taste: Pretty good, but it comes across a little weaker than I hoped for based upon the smell -- perhaps I let it sit too long in the fridge; it's still good, but just comes across a tad watery; the bitter grapefruit-like hops are up front, and there is a nice grainy and sweeter breadiness that follows up from behind. I like IPAs they're a pretty straight forward beer than can avoid become overly complicated, but this does have the nice touch of the added yeast at bottling and it does give it just a nice twist.

Mouthfeel: About what I would like in a beer of tho caliber-- body is light and not imposing; the carbonation is just about spot on and ranges from sharp pricks to a smooth bubbliness around the rest of the palate. A nice light aftertaste is certainly pleasant as it lingers around.

Overall: I would definitely pick this beer up again, but I would force myself to try to drink it a little sooner to avoid any adverse aging affects on the beer itself. Still a solid beer and I would drink this all summer whether sitting on a lawn mower or standing in front of a grill.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Single-Wide I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.