Follow our progress ...

Single-Wide IPA | Boulevard Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Single-Wide IPASingle-Wide IPA

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

Added by kcillini77 on 12-15-2008

Reviews: 523 | Ratings: 1,890
3.79/5  rDev +0.3%

I had this beer on gap at Johnnys tavern in Shawnee. Watching the KC playoff game. The appearance is light amber and clear to see through. Boulevard usually bottle conditions their bottles but I don't know about tap. So I wasn't super impressed. But I love this beer for an everyday IPA. Nice hop character and perfect citrus flavor makes this very drinkable. Great beer for a football game.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Purchased at The Cellar in Olathe, KS...

Appearance: Yellowish orange color. Slight one finger head that dissipates quickly. Very sticky lacing that clings to the inside of the glass the entire way down.

Smell: Smells heavily of fruits and pines. The hop smell isn't very prevalent, but it is there.

Taste: Subtle hints of citrus. Lots of juniper and conifer pines. The hoppy bite hits on the back of your tongue.

Mouthfeel: This is a fairly light IPA. It's not overly malty nor do the hops overtake your palate.

Drinkability: This is definitely an IPA I could drink a few of (or a six-pack) during a single sitting.

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance - gorgeous hazy orange hue with two fingers of think off-white head. Great retention and copious amounts of sticky lace.

Smell - fantastic floral hops, and toasted grains, with a touch of fresh baked bread smell

Taste - textbook ipa, very balanced malt and hop profiles. Creamy head and sweet toasted malt to start and a robust oily hop finish. Very astringent subtly tart finish

Mouthfeel - light/medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. A slightly rough chewy feel.

Drinkability - not to heavy and very well balanced this is an easy beer to drink. Good middle of the road IPA. Very adequately priced.

$6.47 + tax for six pack of bottles.
Two bottles poured into glass stein.

A - Beautiful copper golden color. Danced with hazy bubbly madness on side of stein some lines in an orderly fashion others mostly, not. Perfect one inch thick white doughy head. That hung around a deal of time after pour.

S - Bitter hoppyness. Fruit, and spices up front. I hinted at specific notes like maybe banana or clove.

T - Sweet upfront. Hoppy bitter goodness in the middle, and a strong hop taste in the back. Lingering sour/bitterness.

M - Not too carbonated. Perfect viscosity. My slight burps were not half bad either. Weird.

D - I could get a six of these in me no problem.

I have drank this one before, and thought it would be wise to wait and review it again, once I started to understand the IPA style a little more. And it was a smart move on my part. My taste is maturing more now and changing so hops is what I wanted specifically tonight. Its perfect. It would seem most open minded people could drink this and appreciate it. I think for the stated 56 IBU rating its rather "mild" on my palette. Yes it is upfront. Yes it lingers. Yes I would recommend it and drink it again.

I will take another.

3.76/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a month-old bottle into a pint glass. What a strange beer.

Pours a slightly hazy straw with a foamy white head, 2 fingers but settling quickly. Nice rings of lacing.

Smells pretty interesting. For one, the citrus is quite strong and overpowering, typical of an American IPA. Belgian yeasts and honey kick in pretty strong at the end with a hint of...saffron? as it drinks. Smells great nonetheless.

Tastes like it smells, although with more emphasis on the honey. Hits the palate with both sweet malts and citrus, transitioning into honey and ending with a pleasant bitterness - combination of citrus and a small amount of pine and lavender. I'd like to see more hop or malt profile and less honey here. Smaller sips result in less bitter finish with considerably more balanced bready/ricy malt at end.

MF is pretty typical. On the lighter side in body. Ever-so-slightly overcarbonated. Slight (pleasant) alcohol sensation.

Overall, not a bad beer from a brewery I had never heard of. I wouldn't seek it out - I'd rather have a Belgian IPA if I'm looking for a twist on my favorite style - but I'd definitely try it again.

3.41/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

The people at Boulevard are cocksuckers. This is one of the first IPAs I ever enjoyed. It's a classic to me and one that everybody should try. I've never had it on tap but that would be much better. This was poured from a fresh bottle into a claret glass. Here we go.

Look: The color is pure gold like clover honey. They head is off white and consists of small bubbles. Lacing is apparent down the glass as I drink.

Smell: A lovely sweet floral aroma prevails but with undertones of malty goodness. The classic biscuity malt character is harmonious with tropical and fruity hops.

Taste: Slightly bitter tropical fruit hops and a touch of peach play partner to equally present malt backbone that is well balanced.

Feel: Smooth, crisp, and full all at the same time. It is dry at the end with a bit of lingering from the hop terpenes. Mild astringency is also present but fleeting.

Overall: This is the best beer Boulevard manages to produce year round, and like all of their beers it has extremely weak ABV but possess definite quality. This is a beginner's IPA. Oh, and fuck Boulevard. They are as much craft beer as Blue Moon. I can't wait for them to eat dirt.

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

Served in a pint glass.

Two things that I've been somewhat ambivalent to in the past (Boulevard and the I.P.A.) converge. Here's hoping...

A: This is one of the better looking IPAs I've seen. Some frothy head and delicate lacing are nice, but I really like the orange tint to the beer. It makes the beer look more appealing and unique to IPAs, which I usually associate with a simple murky yellow color.

S: Hopsy, with some citurs and pine. About the standard for an IPA, though I found that pine scent to be a nice addition. However, it's a little too subdued and faint.

Hmmm... a swirl and another smell later and I'm really getting the auroma. +.5

T: Way too hopsy! I was all set to love this, but I get very little of the citrus from the scent and really none of the pine, which I was really looking forward to; unless you count the fact that this drink may be like jamming pine needles in your mouth. It also leaves a very bitter aftertaste.

M: I really have to try hard to base this simply on the feel. A nice consistency; not as thin as I feared it could be but not too thick. It's a good robustness for the beer.

D: Well, the taste ruins this. What I'm left with after the drink this is a bitter taste on my tounge and a harsh dryness in my throat that's causing me to gag as I write this.

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer has a pale color with a decent cream color head. You can smell a ton of floral hops. It has a good balance of the citrus hop flavor and a light, sweet malt flavor. It has good bitterness as well. Light body and carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer.

I'm really liking this sampler pack from Boulevard Brewing Co. Each beer in it seems to be a dead on example of the style it represents. And a very well done version at that. Within the guidelines but not overboard and certainly not boring. Very well done. I think this would be a great sampler pack to show someone, 'this is a pale ale, this is an IPA'.

A - real nice sustaining head that leaves some nice lacing. Light gold color.

S - Nice lemony hop smell. Full profile of hop range too it seems, bitter, flavor and aroma well represented. Sweet malt in the background.

T - Very nice and balanced. Good amount of hops and bitterness but very drinkable.

M - foamy carbonation, clean finish

D - Quite drinkable! Plenty of interest and not too tongue splitting to be too much. Best with some food if you want more than one.

4.7/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.
A - Golden in color, somewhat cloudy with a huge white head that diminishes rather quicklyleaving spotty lacing.
S - Grapefruit, pine, faint smell of golden malt.
T - More malt flavor than the aroma would suggest, followed by the freshest tasting citrusy grapefruit and piney hops I've ever tasted.
M - As with other Boulevard brews this is a bit over carbonated; however, it seems to work well with this. Very crisp and clean.
D - This is the first commercially available American IPA that I've liked. Most American IPA's totally obscure malt flavor in favor of an overpowering citrus hops. Boulevard has done an excellent job of balancing both and still having that "American" IPA flavor but with some malt in there as well. It is crisp, refreshing, and VERY drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

Had on tap at iTap. Pours a golden amber color with a finger of frothy white head. Smell is mostly orange-like citrus. Taste is extremely well balanced with distinct citrus hops upfront followed by smooth biscuitlike malts. Light mouthfeel with a dry finish. This is extremely drinkable. When this comes out in bottles it will be a permanent fixture in my fridge.

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

Bright golden straw color. Nice two finger head, lays down a firm sheet of lace. Nice floral and pine cone hop aromas. Hops are at the forefront here. Some lightly sweet caramel malts hide far beneath. Nice array of pine and citrus malts take center stage. Finishes a bit dry, with an aspirin like quality. Nice bitterness lingers on the tongue. This is a one sided match for sure, but who cares?
Hop heads will want to put this one on their to do list for sure. Pass the guacamole and chips please.

Thanks to Springdogg for the opportunity on this one.

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

Had this at the saucer in austin tonight.
Poured in to a 22oz glass (happy hour!)
Was a nice cloudy looking IPA, the nose was cirusy, piney, and a hint of malts.

The taste was a slight bite on the tip of the tongue that mellowed out as it journeyed down the palate. This is a very well made IPA and pretty damn smooth. Reminds me alot of masala mama with a tad more bite to it/bittering going on.

I could drink this all damn night well actually thats what I did. several 22 ouncers later I find myself drinking water because it snuck up on me.

Be caustious when drinking this beer its that damn good and sessionable

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Darker yellow to copper in color with 1 1/2 fingers of white rocky foam that reduces but leaves a thin froth covering the top of the beer. Dark but is transparent and clear. Nice carbonation rinsing up in the glass.

Smell: Dank wet pine needles, citrus and herbal aromas

Taste: First thing you get are the hops and they medium to medium high in your mouth. Latter the beer warms a little bit the malt notes catch up and they balance this beer nicely.

Mouth Feel: Mdium bodied and dry with a crisp long finish.

Overall: This is a preferred style for me and this particular beer is a good representation of the style. Crisp and dry makes it a perfect beer to just kick back and enjoy. This isn't a beer for "slammin' "after working in the sun all afternoon. Instead save it for later when it is relaxing time.

3.91/5  rDev +3.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Wow what a wonderful, fluffy white head on this beer. Even a careful pour elicited a very thick head of foam (at least 2 fingers). Significant fluffy lacing all the way down. Beer is slightly hazy yellowish-orange. Tons of bubbles - probably more than any beer I can remember - probably because of the added yeast for bottle conditioning.

S - Lots of citrus. Not a lot of pine which would be reminiscent of the west coast style. Some yeasty esters.

T & M - Better than the smell. Again, not overly bitter and definitely not a hop-heads IPA. Very light and refreshing, with good hop presence, but not quite as much as I would like. Nicely carbonated and easy to drink.

Overall - A nice, fairly inexpensive (under $7 for a six pack) IPA. Not high in ABV or IBU's, so it's not for the hophead. I could definitely drink this as a session beer... as it's quite refreshing and not too strong.

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I get tired of paying $10 a 4 pack for most higher end brews, this is a good alternative. It is a great drinking IPA. I agree somewhat that the single wide is a better drinking beer then the double in that when I am in the mood for 2-3 beers, then I go the single-wide route. The double-wide is more of a one beer experience.
A-love the orange color of this beer when poured
S-hops but not crazy strong, some floral
T-a mild IPA that does not overpower, again, this is one that I drink when I plan on downing 2-3 washing the car or something
M-It's a Boulevard, their normal beers are balanced while the smokestack series are big. T
O-This is one I rotate and drink at least monthly, a solid value in an IPA. I would love this one in a can!

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

floral hoppy ipa.....This beer oddly smells great looks great and even tastes great! but on the other hand it doesnt taste like you are drinking anything special!

2.43/5  rDev -35.7%

Best by 3/13/2011

Aroma: Lots of grapefruit and pine.

Appearance: Over-carbonated, thought it was going to gush out. Pours thick chunky off-white half a pint glass of head. Orangeish amber color. Particulates floating in the beer. Don't think I poured the sediment in but could have.

Flavor: Major grapefruit up front, followed by some pine and tangerine. A weird solvently hair spray flavor lingering in aftertaste. Decent malt backbone. High bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Dry. Alcohol noticeable. Appropriate for style.

Overall: What is up with Boulevard beers and this soapy hair spray flavor? It was in 3 of the 4 beers my friend brought back from Missouri. Not going to finish this beer. Obviously, other people are not getting this in all beers so would try again cautiously.

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

Finally got Boulevard Sixers up in Madison. Thank you boys.

A: Huge head, very clean filtered look.
S: Citrusy, with a hint of bread.
T: Hoppy, sweet, bitter, sweet. I like the way that this one goes.
M: Tons of carbonation. Maybe just a little too much. Very light in body.
D: An easy going IPA.
I'm glad that I picked up this sixer. It's going to go down nice and easy!

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle (best by 12/09/15 Doh!) poured into a snifter.
Cloudy orange-ish body floats a 1/2in white head with some lacing.
Pine aroma reminiscent of mosquito repellant with citrus. Flavor matches.
Light mouthfeel, medium carbonation, and a clean finish.

Pretty good. I can only speculate that it is better before expiration. This was a Christmas gift, so it was already out of date, but I didn't look until after I tasted it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is just on the hoppy side of life. It is crisp with some short lived bitterness. It has a citrus a pine nose and tastes of barley, honey, straw, citrus and pine. It pours a sparkling golden hue with a large slightly off-white head.

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Beer pours a lighter color than the majority of the IPAs I have had. Not bad, just different. Huge, billowing white head.

Dominant smell is lemon zest. Much stronger than the fainter hop aroma. This is odd, but I swear I smell coca-cola.

Some mild hop bitterness, but not near the level of some of the hop bombs out there. There is a strong bready quality I find a bit strange in an IPA. The same cola like qualities I noticed in the nose I find in the taste as well. Something just seems a touch off for me. Not bad, but not spot on...

3.36/5  rDev -11.1%

Reviewed December 16, 2011. Poured a 12 oz bottle into a Pint glass.

A: This appears as a nice mix of Amber and Selective Yellow. It poured a glorious 1 1/2 fingered head. There is some nice carbonation that rises as well, this makes the lacing nicely apparent.

S: A nice solid citrus presents here. The hops that present itself here are nicely blended with some honey.

T: The hops here are quite strange. They are not to strong, but they definitely pop at you. What lingers as bitterness almost has a sweetness to it. The citrus definitely feels like a light grapefruit, not to strong.

M: The body is nice and active with carbonation with even a nice medium body.

O: This was a decent IPA, but nothing spectacular. There are better IPAs than this, but this does come in a 6-pack if you were hoping for just a quick IPA.

3.3/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Cloudy looking golden color with a beautiful 2 1/2 finger pure white head.

S: Very citrus like. Grapefruits the most present. Some faint malts in the back but not much.

T: Same as the smell. Very citrusy and grapefruit essence with quite a bit of bite. Nice carbonation with a very bitter finish.

This was an average beer, not great but not bad. Out of the few IPA's I have ventured out on a limb to try, this was very bitter. The taste was also a little thin for me, not watery, just lacking some malty backbone to all the bitterness. Being that bitter with no substance hurts the drinkablilty, but still a good beer. Good brew Boulevard Brewing!!

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Got this an a extra from beerdavis (thanks, Jason)
Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Interesting hazy gold color. Plenty of sediment from the yeast added for the bottle conditioning. Took forever to pour because the head was so thick. Fluffy and white and sticky, it looked like whipped cream on top of a sundae. Left great big gobs of lacing all over the glass.

S: Very citrusy sweet. Tangy like a grapefruit, but with very faint smells typical to an IPA. Very little pine and hop bitterness.

T: Pretty consistent with the smell, but the sweetness gets replaced with more and more bitterness as you drink it. A little bready, and could use a little more balance.

M: Very smooth and well balanced with the carbonation. Only a little sticky and doesn't "feel" like your typical IPA, but still very good.

D: This was a very easy to drink beer, and would be a big hit for anyone who likes a basic, no-frills kind of pale ale experience.

Single-Wide IPA from Boulevard Brewing Co.