Single-Wide IPA - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide IPASingle-Wide IPA

good

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single-Wide IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,735 | Reviews: 509
2.43/5  rDev -35%

Best by 3/13/2011

Aroma: Lots of grapefruit and pine.

Appearance: Over-carbonated, thought it was going to gush out. Pours thick chunky off-white half a pint glass of head. Orangeish amber color. Particulates floating in the beer. Don't think I poured the sediment in but could have.

Flavor: Major grapefruit up front, followed by some pine and tangerine. A weird solvently hair spray flavor lingering in aftertaste. Decent malt backbone. High bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Dry. Alcohol noticeable. Appropriate for style.

Overall: What is up with Boulevard beers and this soapy hair spray flavor? It was in 3 of the 4 beers my friend brought back from Missouri. Not going to finish this beer. Obviously, other people are not getting this in all beers so would try again cautiously.

3.92/5  rDev +4.8%

Finally got Boulevard Sixers up in Madison. Thank you boys.

A: Huge head, very clean filtered look.
S: Citrusy, with a hint of bread.
T: Hoppy, sweet, bitter, sweet. I like the way that this one goes.
M: Tons of carbonation. Maybe just a little too much. Very light in body.
D: An easy going IPA.
I'm glad that I picked up this sixer. It's going to go down nice and easy!

4.38/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I get tired of paying $10 a 4 pack for most higher end brews, this is a good alternative. It is a great drinking IPA. I agree somewhat that the single wide is a better drinking beer then the double in that when I am in the mood for 2-3 beers, then I go the single-wide route. The double-wide is more of a one beer experience.
A-love the orange color of this beer when poured
S-hops but not crazy strong, some floral
T-a mild IPA that does not overpower, again, this is one that I drink when I plan on downing 2-3 washing the car or something
M-It's a Boulevard, their normal beers are balanced while the smokestack series are big. T
O-This is one I rotate and drink at least monthly, a solid value in an IPA. I would love this one in a can!

3.54/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

floral hoppy ipa.....This beer oddly smells great looks great and even tastes great! but on the other hand it doesnt taste like you are drinking anything special!

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Beer pours a lighter color than the majority of the IPAs I have had. Not bad, just different. Huge, billowing white head.

Dominant smell is lemon zest. Much stronger than the fainter hop aroma. This is odd, but I swear I smell coca-cola.

Some mild hop bitterness, but not near the level of some of the hop bombs out there. There is a strong bready quality I find a bit strange in an IPA. The same cola like qualities I noticed in the nose I find in the taste as well. Something just seems a touch off for me. Not bad, but not spot on...

3.36/5  rDev -10.2%

Reviewed December 16, 2011. Poured a 12 oz bottle into a Pint glass.

A: This appears as a nice mix of Amber and Selective Yellow. It poured a glorious 1 1/2 fingered head. There is some nice carbonation that rises as well, this makes the lacing nicely apparent.

S: A nice solid citrus presents here. The hops that present itself here are nicely blended with some honey.

T: The hops here are quite strange. They are not to strong, but they definitely pop at you. What lingers as bitterness almost has a sweetness to it. The citrus definitely feels like a light grapefruit, not to strong.

M: The body is nice and active with carbonation with even a nice medium body.

O: This was a decent IPA, but nothing spectacular. There are better IPAs than this, but this does come in a 6-pack if you were hoping for just a quick IPA.

3.3/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Cloudy looking golden color with a beautiful 2 1/2 finger pure white head.

S: Very citrus like. Grapefruits the most present. Some faint malts in the back but not much.

T: Same as the smell. Very citrusy and grapefruit essence with quite a bit of bite. Nice carbonation with a very bitter finish.

This was an average beer, not great but not bad. Out of the few IPA's I have ventured out on a limb to try, this was very bitter. The taste was also a little thin for me, not watery, just lacking some malty backbone to all the bitterness. Being that bitter with no substance hurts the drinkablilty, but still a good beer. Good brew Boulevard Brewing!!

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Got this an a extra from beerdavis (thanks, Jason)
Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Interesting hazy gold color. Plenty of sediment from the yeast added for the bottle conditioning. Took forever to pour because the head was so thick. Fluffy and white and sticky, it looked like whipped cream on top of a sundae. Left great big gobs of lacing all over the glass.

S: Very citrusy sweet. Tangy like a grapefruit, but with very faint smells typical to an IPA. Very little pine and hop bitterness.

T: Pretty consistent with the smell, but the sweetness gets replaced with more and more bitterness as you drink it. A little bready, and could use a little more balance.

M: Very smooth and well balanced with the carbonation. Only a little sticky and doesn't "feel" like your typical IPA, but still very good.

D: This was a very easy to drink beer, and would be a big hit for anyone who likes a basic, no-frills kind of pale ale experience.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

birthday bif thanks! 12 oz. bottle (best by 10/01/09) into my sweetwater pint glass...

four finger head of creamy off white foam...decent lacing and excellent retention, hazy golden body...

spicy hop nose with a good malt frame...some citrus coming through, more sweet than bitter. pretty mellow and peppery...

very different, but in a good way...a sharp hoppy sweetness leads into a strong bitter finish, some citrus is shown throughout. seems to lack a malt presence, but is good nonetheless.

sharp biting carbonation

great drinkability and an all around pretty darn good ipa

3.67/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- a cloudy orange color with absolutely no head. Tiny bubbles rise to the surface from the bottom of the glass. Murky sediment is equally dispersed throughout the beer. I'm not sure if this is how this beer normally looks, but with no head and lots of sediment, I wonder if this is the bottom of the batch.

S- Smells just like an American IPA should. Roasty malts with lots of grapefruit/pine hops. A hint of lemon can also be found when the glass is swirled.

T- Not as malty as the aroma would suggest! The grapefruit hop flavor is the dominant trait of this beer. A little lemon and pine is also detected. Single-Wide is a very dry and bitter beer and not for those trying their first IPA. A good flavor in my opinion, but I've tasted more balanced IPAs before.

MF- Lots of carbonation! You can almost feel the bubbles popping on your tongue.

D- A good IPA and well worth the price. With its low ABV this could be a great session beer if you can handle all of the carbonation.

4.15/5  rDev +11%

Scheduled for wide release in March. Had on tap tonight at Barley's in Shawnee.

Appearance is typical golden color IPA with good head and lacing.

Smell is piney hops and not much else. That's not a bad thing.

Taste is well balanced but very hoppy. Mouthfeel is a tad harsh due to high carbonation but that's not too noticeable.

Drinkability is high at 5.7% ABV. This will probably be a go-to beer for me when available in bottles. I hope it becomes as widely available as the Pale Ale, but I doubt it will catch on in the types of bars that stick mostly to BMC and Boulevard Wheat.

3.46/5  rDev -7.5%

One of the lighter IPAs I've had, both in terms of color and ABV. Definitely not enough hop aroma for an IPA, would be OK for a regular APA though. Taste is very smooth, I like the body that this beer has, and gives a good impression of malt yet still retaining a level of dryness. Still a bit lacking on hop flavor for an IPA though, yet detectable levels of citrus are there from the C-hops. No pine character from what I could tell. I was decently happy with this beer, just think it should be better labeled as an Extra Pale Ale rather than an IPA, because I still think that it falls a bit short of what I consider to be a pretty well followed standard for IPAs. Would definitely drink again though.

3.86/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Into my pint glass. A nice, yellow-amber color, with a rich, creamy, two inch head that eventually diminishes to an eighth-inch. Very nice.
Smells nice- pine, citrus, banana.
Taste is great. Well balance of hops and bitterness. Malty with a slight citrus flavor.
Mouthfeel is nice as well- crisp, refreshing. Slightly dry.
This to me is a session IPA. I could drink a bundle of these in a sitting.
Perhaps one of the most well-rounded IPAs I've had. And at the price ($6.50/6-pack), it's proof that great-tasting, quality beer can come relatively cheap.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Good IPA to acquire the taste. I'm more of a Dopplebock guy myself but this is a nice beer

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Copper in coloir with a few small bubble making their way to the top. Very thin lace & no head to speak of.
Aroma: Very pleasant!!!! Mild sweet floral hops over power the light malt nose.
Flavor: The grainy malt profile is overpowered by the sweet hoppiness that is prodominant in this beer. There is a bit of hop bitterness but slightly vegetive.
Mouthfeel: Has a medium mouthfeel, not too heavy & not light at all. The best part is that the hop oils in this tasty brew coat the inside of your mouth allowing you ro taste this beer long after its gone. Carbonation is average.
Overall: One tasty IPA!!! This is the first Boulevard beer that I've had leaving great expectations of their other beers. Not quiet the hop profile that Im use to on the east coast but still very good.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is just on the hoppy side of life. It is crisp with some short lived bitterness. It has a citrus a pine nose and tastes of barley, honey, straw, citrus and pine. It pours a sparkling golden hue with a large slightly off-white head.

A: Appearance is light orange with decent, off-white head.

S: Aroma is disappointingly weak with notes of citrus including orange and mango.

T: Taste is similar with citrus flavors the quickly fade moving into piney hops. Balance is tipping a little more to the bitterness giving it a moderate dry finish.

M: Palate is medium-bodied, slightly thin, and average carbonation.

O: Not really a true IPA in my opinion and only an average APA.

3.69/5  rDev -1.3%

Received this as a bonus on a trade from Monsterfast. Thanks man.

A: Pours a darkish lemon to washed out amber color with a ¼ inch soapy white head. Lacing looks like dish washing suds, draped on the side of the glass on pour and continues like a sheet of foam to the bottom after finish.

S: Fresh lemon and citrus nose. Smells very refreshing without being indulgent. Where are the floral hop notes?

M/T: Light to medium body, watery and a good amount of carbonation. The lemon taste is pretty powerful and a little one dimensional. I have never tasted this much lemon in an IPA before. Even with the lemon aspect, this beer is hugely refreshing and finishes exceptionally clean. However, this beer reminds me more of a Hefeweizen then an IPA. I detect little to no hop presence whatsoever.

D: I struggled with this beer, on the one hand I found this beer hugely refreshing and tasty. On the other hand, it really didn't seem to belong in the IPA family. Its barely even pale. However with the light body, low bitterness and virtually zero aftertaste, I could session this beer. Not a pallet killer!

Pours a dark gold with a solid, lace-leaving, head. The nose suggests a very hoppy IPA with a huge citrus fruit nose. The taste is similar, although we have hints of a malt backbone that is rather quickly overwhelmed by the citrusy hops. Hop bitterness finishes. Body is medium with fair carbonation.

This is one of my staples; it is a solid, economical, and highly sessionable IPA that tastes delicious. There are certainly better IPAs out there, but you can't go wrong with this one.

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%

This is one I've been anticipating for a good bit. I have kept grabbing something else and finally picked up a sixer tonight.

A: Hmmm...I'm a little confused. This beer looks very similar to Boulevard's Wheat. A hazy golden color, that reminds me of wheat.

S: Very grassy and lemony.

T: I have to agree with some other posters: (reluctantly, as I previously thought they just couldn't appreciate my local area brewery) this taste in some ways like a hefi. It's very lemony and grassy. I do disagree with some, because I do taste the hops. It is not the most overwhelming IPA I've had, but I believe the bitterness is there enough to put it on the light end of the style. It is wierd though, like a IPA hefi hybrid.

M: Is typical of an IPA, kinda light and no malt heaviness.

D: Pretty drinkable for an IPA, but remember I said it was on the lighter and of the style and hefi like as well. It goes down pretty smooth. Not what I expected, but not a let down either.

4.59/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh, crisp, lots of flavors, not too strong. Light in color.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

A: A light orange color. This white head which clings to glass and dissipated fairly quickly. Reasonably clear.

S: Only moderately fragrant. Grass and oranges

T: Flavorful but not overbearing. Lots of pine. Some lemons. A little bitter, but enjoyable.

M: Medium body, medium to high carbonation.

D: Enjoyable, but I would not take more than one at a time.

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Upon pouring, a two to three finger white fluffy head forms that retains pretty well and laces. The body is a straw orangish color that is not a strong color but still has that IPA look. Looks good.

It smells definitely of hops. Along with that you can smell citrus and yeast.

The taste is of hops and citrus. Nice taste. Hopburst in my opinion is better but I still like it.

Mouthfeel is nice. not much to say about it.

I like it and buy it all the time. Give it a try if you like IPA's

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Served chilled in my British pint.

A: Pours a hazy light amber with a one-finger off-white head with little retention.

S: Big hops in the nose, grapefruit and some pine. A nice bubblegum-type sweetness follows.

T: Not as bitter as the nose would indicate. The bitteness is there, but is mellowed by the bubblegum sweetness and malts. Slight hint of spice in the back.

M: Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation and thickness are where they should be.

D: I can't believe this is my first Boulevard. Not totally what I was looking for in an IPA, but was still tasty and quite refreshing. This will be a nice session IPA as we head into summer.

2.82/5  rDev -24.6%

I waited for this beer to came out the first news I caught of it and drooled the rest of the time. It finally came out and I had a 6 pack and was not impressed considering I really like the Double Wide. I tried it again over the weekend to see if it was the batch and nope, just not impressed.

A - Golden Light IPA color to prepare yourself for a light IPA, some haze.

S - Citrisy, Hoppy, not much else.

T - Just like it smells.

M - Here is where I slam this beer and one of my favorite breweries. The fizziness and aftertaste just don't sit well with me. The IPA is not smooth. There is a sharp taste from beginning to end.

D - I can down one or two, but would not drink anymore in one setting.

A little more malt, little less carbonation and maybe a change up in the bittering hops and this would be okay. Well that's pretty much a new brew isn't it?

Single-Wide IPA from Boulevard Brewing Co.