Single-Wide IPA - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Single-Wide IPASingle-Wide IPA

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: kcillini77 on 12-15-2008

Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version—inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A.—boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single-Wide IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 497 | Hads: 1,752
3.3/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Cloudy looking golden color with a beautiful 2 1/2 finger pure white head.

S: Very citrus like. Grapefruits the most present. Some faint malts in the back but not much.

T: Same as the smell. Very citrusy and grapefruit essence with quite a bit of bite. Nice carbonation with a very bitter finish.

This was an average beer, not great but not bad. Out of the few IPA's I have ventured out on a limb to try, this was very bitter. The taste was also a little thin for me, not watery, just lacking some malty backbone to all the bitterness. Being that bitter with no substance hurts the drinkablilty, but still a good beer. Good brew Boulevard Brewing!! (656 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Got this an a extra from beerdavis (thanks, Jason)
Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Interesting hazy gold color. Plenty of sediment from the yeast added for the bottle conditioning. Took forever to pour because the head was so thick. Fluffy and white and sticky, it looked like whipped cream on top of a sundae. Left great big gobs of lacing all over the glass.

S: Very citrusy sweet. Tangy like a grapefruit, but with very faint smells typical to an IPA. Very little pine and hop bitterness.

T: Pretty consistent with the smell, but the sweetness gets replaced with more and more bitterness as you drink it. A little bready, and could use a little more balance.

M: Very smooth and well balanced with the carbonation. Only a little sticky and doesn't "feel" like your typical IPA, but still very good.

D: This was a very easy to drink beer, and would be a big hit for anyone who likes a basic, no-frills kind of pale ale experience. (956 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

birthday bif thanks! 12 oz. bottle (best by 10/01/09) into my sweetwater pint glass...

four finger head of creamy off white foam...decent lacing and excellent retention, hazy golden body...

spicy hop nose with a good malt frame...some citrus coming through, more sweet than bitter. pretty mellow and peppery...

very different, but in a good way...a sharp hoppy sweetness leads into a strong bitter finish, some citrus is shown throughout. seems to lack a malt presence, but is good nonetheless.

sharp biting carbonation

great drinkability and an all around pretty darn good ipa (582 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- a cloudy orange color with absolutely no head. Tiny bubbles rise to the surface from the bottom of the glass. Murky sediment is equally dispersed throughout the beer. I'm not sure if this is how this beer normally looks, but with no head and lots of sediment, I wonder if this is the bottom of the batch.

S- Smells just like an American IPA should. Roasty malts with lots of grapefruit/pine hops. A hint of lemon can also be found when the glass is swirled.

T- Not as malty as the aroma would suggest! The grapefruit hop flavor is the dominant trait of this beer. A little lemon and pine is also detected. Single-Wide is a very dry and bitter beer and not for those trying their first IPA. A good flavor in my opinion, but I've tasted more balanced IPAs before.

MF- Lots of carbonation! You can almost feel the bubbles popping on your tongue.

D- A good IPA and well worth the price. With its low ABV this could be a great session beer if you can handle all of the carbonation. (1,039 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is just on the hoppy side of life. It is crisp with some short lived bitterness. It has a citrus a pine nose and tastes of barley, honey, straw, citrus and pine. It pours a sparkling golden hue with a large slightly off-white head. (241 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Scheduled for wide release in March. Had on tap tonight at Barley's in Shawnee.

Appearance is typical golden color IPA with good head and lacing.

Smell is piney hops and not much else. That's not a bad thing.

Taste is well balanced but very hoppy. Mouthfeel is a tad harsh due to high carbonation but that's not too noticeable.

Drinkability is high at 5.7% ABV. This will probably be a go-to beer for me when available in bottles. I hope it becomes as widely available as the Pale Ale, but I doubt it will catch on in the types of bars that stick mostly to BMC and Boulevard Wheat. (593 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -8.7%

One of the lighter IPAs I've had, both in terms of color and ABV. Definitely not enough hop aroma for an IPA, would be OK for a regular APA though. Taste is very smooth, I like the body that this beer has, and gives a good impression of malt yet still retaining a level of dryness. Still a bit lacking on hop flavor for an IPA though, yet detectable levels of citrus are there from the C-hops. No pine character from what I could tell. I was decently happy with this beer, just think it should be better labeled as an Extra Pale Ale rather than an IPA, because I still think that it falls a bit short of what I consider to be a pretty well followed standard for IPAs. Would definitely drink again though. (704 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Into my pint glass. A nice, yellow-amber color, with a rich, creamy, two inch head that eventually diminishes to an eighth-inch. Very nice.
Smells nice- pine, citrus, banana.
Taste is great. Well balance of hops and bitterness. Malty with a slight citrus flavor.
Mouthfeel is nice as well- crisp, refreshing. Slightly dry.
This to me is a session IPA. I could drink a bundle of these in a sitting.
Perhaps one of the most well-rounded IPAs I've had. And at the price ($6.50/6-pack), it's proof that great-tasting, quality beer can come relatively cheap. (553 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: Copper in coloir with a few small bubble making their way to the top. Very thin lace & no head to speak of.
Aroma: Very pleasant!!!! Mild sweet floral hops over power the light malt nose.
Flavor: The grainy malt profile is overpowered by the sweet hoppiness that is prodominant in this beer. There is a bit of hop bitterness but slightly vegetive.
Mouthfeel: Has a medium mouthfeel, not too heavy & not light at all. The best part is that the hop oils in this tasty brew coat the inside of your mouth allowing you ro taste this beer long after its gone. Carbonation is average.
Overall: One tasty IPA!!! This is the first Boulevard beer that I've had leaving great expectations of their other beers. Not quiet the hop profile that Im use to on the east coast but still very good. (791 characters)

A: Appearance is light orange with decent, off-white head.

S: Aroma is disappointingly weak with notes of citrus including orange and mango.

T: Taste is similar with citrus flavors the quickly fade moving into piney hops. Balance is tipping a little more to the bitterness giving it a moderate dry finish.

M: Palate is medium-bodied, slightly thin, and average carbonation.

O: Not really a true IPA in my opinion and only an average APA. (445 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +4%

This is one I've been anticipating for a good bit. I have kept grabbing something else and finally picked up a sixer tonight.

A: Hmmm...I'm a little confused. This beer looks very similar to Boulevard's Wheat. A hazy golden color, that reminds me of wheat.

S: Very grassy and lemony.

T: I have to agree with some other posters: (reluctantly, as I previously thought they just couldn't appreciate my local area brewery) this taste in some ways like a hefi. It's very lemony and grassy. I do disagree with some, because I do taste the hops. It is not the most overwhelming IPA I've had, but I believe the bitterness is there enough to put it on the light end of the style. It is wierd though, like a IPA hefi hybrid.

M: Is typical of an IPA, kinda light and no malt heaviness.

D: Pretty drinkable for an IPA, but remember I said it was on the lighter and of the style and hefi like as well. It goes down pretty smooth. Not what I expected, but not a let down either. (970 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -2.6%

Received this as a bonus on a trade from Monsterfast. Thanks man.

A: Pours a darkish lemon to washed out amber color with a ¼ inch soapy white head. Lacing looks like dish washing suds, draped on the side of the glass on pour and continues like a sheet of foam to the bottom after finish.

S: Fresh lemon and citrus nose. Smells very refreshing without being indulgent. Where are the floral hop notes?

M/T: Light to medium body, watery and a good amount of carbonation. The lemon taste is pretty powerful and a little one dimensional. I have never tasted this much lemon in an IPA before. Even with the lemon aspect, this beer is hugely refreshing and finishes exceptionally clean. However, this beer reminds me more of a Hefeweizen then an IPA. I detect little to no hop presence whatsoever.

D: I struggled with this beer, on the one hand I found this beer hugely refreshing and tasty. On the other hand, it really didn't seem to belong in the IPA family. Its barely even pale. However with the light body, low bitterness and virtually zero aftertaste, I could session this beer. Not a pallet killer! (1,108 characters)

Pours a dark gold with a solid, lace-leaving, head. The nose suggests a very hoppy IPA with a huge citrus fruit nose. The taste is similar, although we have hints of a malt backbone that is rather quickly overwhelmed by the citrusy hops. Hop bitterness finishes. Body is medium with fair carbonation.

This is one of my staples; it is a solid, economical, and highly sessionable IPA that tastes delicious. There are certainly better IPAs out there, but you can't go wrong with this one. (486 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

A: A light orange color. This white head which clings to glass and dissipated fairly quickly. Reasonably clear.

S: Only moderately fragrant. Grass and oranges

T: Flavorful but not overbearing. Lots of pine. Some lemons. A little bitter, but enjoyable.

M: Medium body, medium to high carbonation.

D: Enjoyable, but I would not take more than one at a time. (359 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Upon pouring, a two to three finger white fluffy head forms that retains pretty well and laces. The body is a straw orangish color that is not a strong color but still has that IPA look. Looks good.

It smells definitely of hops. Along with that you can smell citrus and yeast.

The taste is of hops and citrus. Nice taste. Hopburst in my opinion is better but I still like it.

Mouthfeel is nice. not much to say about it.

I like it and buy it all the time. Give it a try if you like IPA's (494 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Served chilled in my British pint.

A: Pours a hazy light amber with a one-finger off-white head with little retention.

S: Big hops in the nose, grapefruit and some pine. A nice bubblegum-type sweetness follows.

T: Not as bitter as the nose would indicate. The bitteness is there, but is mellowed by the bubblegum sweetness and malts. Slight hint of spice in the back.

M: Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation and thickness are where they should be.

D: I can't believe this is my first Boulevard. Not totally what I was looking for in an IPA, but was still tasty and quite refreshing. This will be a nice session IPA as we head into summer. (639 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -25.6%

I waited for this beer to came out the first news I caught of it and drooled the rest of the time. It finally came out and I had a 6 pack and was not impressed considering I really like the Double Wide. I tried it again over the weekend to see if it was the batch and nope, just not impressed.

A - Golden Light IPA color to prepare yourself for a light IPA, some haze.

S - Citrisy, Hoppy, not much else.

T - Just like it smells.

M - Here is where I slam this beer and one of my favorite breweries. The fizziness and aftertaste just don't sit well with me. The IPA is not smooth. There is a sharp taste from beginning to end.

D - I can down one or two, but would not drink anymore in one setting.

A little more malt, little less carbonation and maybe a change up in the bittering hops and this would be okay. Well that's pretty much a new brew isn't it? (859 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

Brewed by Boulevard Brewing Company out of Kansas City, Missouri the Single Wide IPA is brewed in the traditional American IPA style and is a real winner of an IPA. As any good IPA should be able to boast, the Single Wide has a great hop complexity to it complete with Magnum, Columbus, Summit, Cascade, Centennial and Palisade hops just begging to be enjoyed in this offering. With a very smooth and even 5.7% ABV this IPA would make a brilliant session beer or could be enjoyed with just an individual dinner. Make sure you match it to something with a lot of spice and/or heat in order to allow the hops to really shine.

When poured, this IPA gives off a nice goldenrod color with some orange accents noticed when held to light. There is a nice pure white head to this offering that leaves about a one finger width of head at the top of the glass. The head gives way to a decent amount of lacing along the glass during the drinking of the Single Wide IPA.

The hops present in this IPA come through nicely in the smell of this beer as there is a rush of pine and citrus at work in the nose. You can tell through smelling the Single Wide IPA that you are destined to be confronted with a lot of hop character in the taste. Grapefruit and lemon is noted in the nose for the citrus portion of the smell.

There is a pleasant mouthfeel to this IPA that serves the offering well. There is a moderate amount of carbonation that allows the beer to be worked across the palate nicely. The hoppy nature of the Single Wide IPA gives the mouthfeel a bit of a bitter nature but certainly is not in a negative kind of way. Rather, it is a credit to the way that this offering is crafted that the mouthfeel comes across this way.

As can be expected based upon what has previously been written herein, the taste of this IPA is brilliantly focused on making sure the hops within the beer pack the most balanced punch possible. The hops really are noted in this IPA and the taste at times almost seems as though it might be more in line with some double IPAs but rest assured the folks at Boulevard have simply made just a dynamite IPA in the Single Wide. The taste is crisp and there is certainly a certain pine nature to the taste yet the citrus noted in the nose matches the pine nicely and provides a well rounded finished taste. The bitterness of the hops is worked into the taste in an ideal fashion but the bitterness is not too invasive so as to not enjoy the offering fully.

The Single Wide IPA has a good drinkability to it as the flavor is so well rounded with enough complexity to set it apart from other IPAs that might be available. The Single Wide IPA is one of those offerings that if it is available you should rush to enjoy it because it truly is a nice IPA to treat yourself to whenever possible. (2,804 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

Nice looking ipa, pours honey-golden with a head that fades quickly.

Nice hop aroma, a little bitter orange and grapefruit mingling with some resiny funk.

The taste is good, the hop come through nicely and fade a bit, allowing a slight malty sweetness to peek through the bitter hoppy haze. It's not very aggressive, but the fine carbonation contributes to a very refreshing and palate cleansing brew. I like it.

The hop astringency and carbonation invite another sip, which I gladly took until the last.

This is a nice ipa, nothing spectacular, but a really solid beer that I would happily have again without fear of it overwhelming any food I might pair it with. It's not an experience in an of itself, but just right for when I want a flavorful beer that uplifts my palate. Well done. (791 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -10%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

The people at Boulevard are cocksuckers. This is one of the first IPAs I ever enjoyed. It's a classic to me and one that everybody should try. I've never had it on tap but that would be much better. This was poured from a fresh bottle into a claret glass. Here we go.

Look: The color is pure gold like clover honey. They head is off white and consists of small bubbles. Lacing is apparent down the glass as I drink.

Smell: A lovely sweet floral aroma prevails but with undertones of malty goodness. The classic biscuity malt character is harmonious with tropical and fruity hops.

Taste: Slightly bitter tropical fruit hops and a touch of peach play partner to equally present malt backbone that is well balanced.

Feel: Smooth, crisp, and full all at the same time. It is dry at the end with a bit of lingering from the hop terpenes. Mild astringency is also present but fleeting.

Overall: This is the best beer Boulevard manages to produce year round, and like all of their beers it has extremely weak ABV but possess definite quality. This is a beginner's IPA. Oh, and fuck Boulevard. They are as much craft beer as Blue Moon. I can't wait for them to eat dirt. (1,169 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a golden straw color with plenty of carbonation. One finger head that leaves decent lacing on the glass.
S - The nose is faint, but consists of light citrus notes.
T - A decent hop bite up front, followed by slight malty bread middle, finishing crisp and semi-dry.
M -Medium body and decent mouth feel.
O - A really solid session beer that satisfies my hop jones without dulling my motivation if you know what I mean. I pick this up anytime I visit family in Missouri and maybe someday the Spec's in the Houston area will stock more of the Boulevard offerings.
Serving type: bottle (591 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +9%

12 oz. bottle into a snifter

Frothy white 3 finger head that settled into a nice solid cap with minimal lacing.
Fresh citrus and pine nose. While it is there and refreshing it is not as aggressive as I would prefer.
The front, middle and end of each sip brings with it a hop bitterness but also a slight malt backbone. Citrus peel, California grapefruit dominate the hoppy flavors with a slight hint of pine in the finish.
Medium body, never watery, nice carbonation and a nice hop resin makes the mouthfeel superb.
Drinkability may not be as good as a Bud Light(insert gagging sound) but for an IPA it is deliciously drinkable. One of my favorite IPAs and will become a fridge staple. (688 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into New Belgium Globe.

Appearance: Pour a huge fluffy/rocky white head. That lingered for a bit leaving some nice lacing. Has a hazy light golden amber color.

Smell: Mmmm hops. This has lots in the nose. Some grassy notes, lemon zest, orange zest, grapefruit, some piney notes. There is a faint hint of some toasty malts underneath all the hops.

Taste: Taste mimics nose some what. Lots of piney notes, a very nice grapefruit like bitterness. Orange zest, lemon zest. Nice balance with some sweet/toasty maltyness. Very well balanced.

Mouth: Sort of thin in the mouth, a nice mild carbonation keeps it bright on the tongue. Leaves a nice mouth cleansing aftertaste.

Drink: This is going to be my go to hoppy beer. Drinks like a dream, one of my favorite IPAs. Very solid offering from Blvd. (803 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%

First review in a while gonna ease back into it slowly. Going the ASTMD route. Poured from a bottle dated "Best Before 10/16/09" into a curved Bass pint glass.

A-Pale gold with lighter straw notes at the edges of the glass. Big frothy, cloud-like head sits firmly on top of this beer through most of the 12oz experience

S-Very nice stuff with very floral notes and a sort of apple like fruitiness. Very clean and focused

T-The continuation of the floral hops really comes through on the palate. Again this has no excess and comes across very direct and no-nonsense. No over the top hops here just perfect flavors of Granny Smith apple backed by grapefruit and the slightest bitterness.

M-Heavily carbonated but in my book I like that from my IPAs. Still this is clean with out the asprin like residue or the stick malt so many IPAs leave behind. A rare find in this style.

D-As my buddy would say "Off the Badger," it is that good. If local this would always be fresh in the fridge. Not "EXTREME" beer just F'n good beer. Get some fresh and enjoy. (1,052 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Yo. The Single Wide is Boulevard's Great Achievement. I really love drinking this beer, especially when it is on sale and cheap. As I mentioned in the Double Wide review, the Single Wide is actually the better of the two Wides. The hop presence in this beer has a very pleasant citrus, grapefruit, apricot, mint taste to it. It was really refreshing on a hot windy Iowa afternoon. Glorious hop nose and a balanced attack on the maltiness. Overall a really good beer drinking experience. (486 characters)

Single-Wide IPA from Boulevard Brewing Co.