Two Jokers Double-Wit - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Two Jokers Double-WitTwo Jokers Double-Wit

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: naterock on 05-10-2009

They say there are two sides to every story, and that’s certainly true of Two Jokers Double-Wit. On the one hand, it’s a revival of the classic Belgian “wit,” or “white” ale, with lactic fermentation providing a refreshing tartness. On the other hand, it’s a modern, uniquely American brew; big, flavorful, and spiced with cardamom, coriander, orange peel, lavender, and grains of paradise.

2.06/5  rDev -49.1%

Hazy golden-orange. Zero lacing from a foamy white head that disappeared quickly. Smell was tart, along with some fruity white grapes. Somebody else mentioned Sprite in their review, that's certainly near the taste, something like a fruity punch spiked with Sprite. The mouthfeel is bright, crisp, highly carbonated. Quite frankly I wish this was 750 mL of Sprite. I could use a Sprite right now to cleanse my palate. (417 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -34.3%

Reviewed 9/23/2009 (bottle batch#2-2009):

Pours a huge whitish head, extremely quickly diminishing. I've never seen a head form and disappear so quickly. Somewhat opaque body, light orange cloudy in color. Sweet spicy aroma, very floral, reminiscent of an Abbey Triple. Maybe coriander. Very fruity, light fruit like white grapes, pears. Not an overly strong aroma, might be related to the disappearing head. Sweet taste, orange peel, maybe clove. Not a strong taste. Diminishing aftertaste. Though a sweet spiciness lingers. Very mild tasting, almost bland. Billed as a double wit I expected more flavor. But it's not bad, just not as flavorful as I was expecting. (666 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Freetail pint glass. It poured a hazy, light orange color with a thin and bubbly white head to it.

I really get a lot of the lavender out of it at first. Behind that more of a citrus orange peel, coriander flavor comes out. It has too many spices going on for me, it reminds me more of potpourri then beer.

The taste follows more of the same with spices dominating the profile. The citrusy orange peel and coriander are pretty good and fit with the style. The lavender is too much for me though and again reminds me of potpourri. It's just over spiced for me and could have used more beer flavors coming through.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being above average. Drinkability isn't good for me, I thought it was overly spiced and some of the spices like lavender just didn't work at all for me. (853 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured chilled in ale glass

A: clear golden yellow, thin head, no lacing;
S: pear, paint thinner (in a good way); inviting
T: very distinctive, lemony, acidic; exudes a Diet Sprite flavor with orange overtone; the alcohol is disguised well; the bottle conditioning is not as pronounced as I would have expected.

Overall, I'm not very impressed with this beer, a rare naysay for this one. (389 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured from a corked and caged 750. The cork was a beast to remove, like the other series beers. It took pliers and alot of elbo grease to torque this thing out of the bottle.

The pour reveals a very large foam like head. 3'' of it. A shit load of carbonation bubbles riseing in the glass, it looks like champagne. Although the color is a bit darker than champagne. Its a murky pale golden color, non transparent unfiltered looking.
The head is slow to settle, but finally receeds to leave a quarter inch foam frothy coating.
Spotty lace in streaks of thick foam.

Aroma of cloves, corriander, orange peels, peppery spice, wheat and some spicie earthy hay filled hops. Its crisp at the knose, with resemlence to a belgian pale. Some lemons and citric rind aroma, pie crust.
It kind of reminds me of lemon marang pie.

Mouthfeel is a bit creamy with a fuller bodied feel then what I was ecpecting. Be it flaked barley?
Some slickness to it as well. Carbonation packed a punch into the swallow stinging the tounge.

Its extremely acidic, almost unbearably so. Its like lemon lime bitter overload actually. I'm not fond of the lemon lime taste coming off this and the acidity is just too much.
Have you ever licked a lemon, then a lime and then drank lemon concentrate?
Alot of grassy hops here and cracked wheat. More peppery flavors. Carbonation is also in abundance with this.

I'm not feeling this beer. The taste is so acidic I just dont like that aspect of it.
The mouthfeel prior to carbonation overload is actually pretty good.
Midway through its time in mouth though is where it falls apart for me. The appearance ebing a strong point on this beer.

Avoid if you dont like acidic overcarbonated beers. (1,709 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A Halloween-carnival, one of those silly harvest-festivals where one always has far too much sugar and pie, feeling sickly on the hay-ride, tired of listening to the same old songs pour forth from those tired old hands on that tired old guitar...
It was a light orange sunset, slightly cloudy, and little head, when we came clopping up the old dirt road, the Indian corn hanging by the doorway and a barbecue pit out back...
The smell of pumpkin-spice and coriander, cardamom, orange peel, and I can get the grains of paradise, such a silly name you know, I hope paradise isn't like this...
And the pies, the cakes, the sugar-corn... very sweet. Too sweet. Sickly sweet. Honey-ish, lemon-spice, an alcoholic mess of a finish, and that song goes on, won't his fingers get tired?
Fluffy, a bit of tongue-prickle from the carbonation, and a warm-syrup finish. I'm glad this only happens once a year, this is far too sweet, too much candy corn, I've had all I can handle. Time to get on home, gotta get that song out of my head... (1,026 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -26.4%

750 mL bottle pours a hazy dark gold color with a huge cap of off-white, large-bubbled foam. Decent retention and lacing. Pretty good looking beer, love the label as well.

Nose is heavy on the wheat and coriander with a fair dose of orange peel. Some Belgian yeasty aromas come through as well as a hint of citric hop.

Taste is lemony wheat and coriander driven. Pithy, bitter citrus peel along with a hearty helping of alcohol. For me, the wit is a style that need not be imperialized, so that factors into my low rating for this beer. Not to mention there is no way in hell I could finish a whole 750 by myself. Belgian yeasties make their presence felt near the end, but it is not enough to change my feelings about the beer. I was barely able to choke down my half of the bottle. I enjoyed the Sam Adams and Southampton versions much better. Definitely my least favorite Boulevard offering, usually love their stuff. (922 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -24.4%

A:a nice hazy,dark grain/straw color. Decent white head that hangs around.

S:light herbal and grassy notes, bit of citrus.

T. Nice smooth wheat base, some citrusy flavors in the middle, mostly orange and lemon, with herbs/spices and a grassy flavor at the end, which lingers awhile and is too strong for me.

M: medium bodied, smooth and somewhat creamy.

D: pretty good for an 8% beer, goes down without tasting like it, but I am feeling it near the bottom of the bottle. However, the overpowering herbal taste makes me wish I had someone to split the bottle with. I (569 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy orangeish golden color wiht a thick 1" head of fluffy and creamy looking foam. Though the beer is pretty cloudy, you can see a bunch of bubbles rising up the glass.

Aroma: The initial aroma was quite nice with a mix of sweetness and the spice. As the beer warms up, there are wheaty notes coming out and the spice is getting more intense. The alcohol must be contributing to the overall spice thing going on here, but it is getting pretty strong.

Taste: The flavor is more bold than what the aroma suggested, with the spice being in the forefront. They are adding a dry complexity to the initial part of the flavor and that carries all the way into the finish. The finish is quite dry and the carbonation is high, so it dries things out even more. The finish is not that pleasant.

Opinion: I was hoping for a nice beer with this one, but I am not too impressed. It is pretty good, but just a little too out of balance in a number of ways. I will drink the whole thing, but I have to admit that spiced beers arent't my thing. This is OK is you like your spiced beers on the really spicy side. Otherwise, you may want to steer clear of this one.

Note - I initially gave this beer a 2.95, but after drinking about half of the bottle, the flavor and mouthfeel got a good bit easier to take, but the beer still didn't do much to become a drinker. (1,379 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured in a tulip class from 750mL bottle.

A: pours a light orange to straw color with a nice head quickly settling patchy lace.

S: Citrus and spice at first, but a swirl reveals almost a pear or apricot kind of sweetness.

T: Zest. Bright lemon and orange zest. Crisp and fruity yet tart and tangy.

M: tight carbonation and malty body but lacking some for the whites that I have experienced and would compare it to.

D: Not one that I would finish the entire bottle, but definitely would share it with friends on a hot Oklahoma summer day. (544 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.2%

Batch 2011-2/01-2012 (the former the brew date, the later expiration, I assume). Poured into a chalice, two jokers is murky straw yellow with a fluffy white head

Smell is very floral, spicy. Sweeter as is warms. Potpourri.

Taste is spicy, whoa. The adjuncts are heavy handed. Lavender and cardamon dominate, losing the esters, wheat and other classic character I love in this style.

Mouthfeel is dry, light bodied.

Drinkability is okay, it's a lighter, dry brew, and the high ABV is well hidden, but way to spicy for my taste. I love classic wit biers, these home-brew kitchen sink style ones, much less so... (616 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from 750 Ml corked bottle; herbal floral aroma, orange tan color with some cloudiness, tall tan colored head, lightly sour/tart taste, medium body, oily feel, soft carbonation, long smooth finish. I like this whole series of brews from Boulevard (252 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a bad beer, just not a lot of what I would expect in a Witbier. Pours a cloudy apricot color with an average size white head. Average retention and a little lacing on the glass. The aroma and taste are both malty and lemony with the spices prominently featured, coriander and lavender are particularly pronounced. The wheat bitterness is almost lacking.

Mouthfeel is fairly rich and the alcohol is well masked. Not a bad beer but not quite the "Witbier on steroids" that I was expecting. (497 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -14.8%

a: cloudy gold/orange color, huge head finishes at finger thickness, plenty of lacing
s: coriander with heavy lemon notes and spices
t: consistent with smell, tartness lingers on and on
m: medium body, not quite creamy, plenty of carbonation
d: when this got really warm, the flavors came out more, but unfortunately for me, nothing stood out about this beer (358 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.6%

Bottle recommends a wide mouth chalice, so for the first time I'm using my Westy vessel. Real foamer here, ¾ of the glass is ivory head, ¼ a hazy amber. Sticky on the edges. And that cork was an absolute mudder to get out.

Coriander and spice in the aroma and in the quaff. But the taste has a strange funk among the malt, like an apple went rotten in the barrel. Bits of orange blend in among the full bodied malt backbone. The sour ale aspect pulls this one down in the ranking.

Not a bad Wit, not a real double in my book, especially for the ten spot it takes to buy the magnum. Overpriced, she be - better doubles are all over the market. (646 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a semi-hazy orange with a large bubbly head, above average carbonation, and some lacing.

smell is of yeast, spice, malt, pepper, and wheat.

taste is of orange peel, spice, malt, citrus, and wheat, end is tart.

overall more of a berliner weiss than a wit. (263 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A good looking American rendition of a Belgian white. A golden shade of orange, dense, but not so much hazy or cloudy, sitting under a very white, moderate-sized head.

The spices are there, but it lacks the funky Belgian yeast scents. Coriander and orange peel are the most prevalent notes.

It's got some strange flavors. Nothing bad, but it's weird. Lavender is noticeable, and I don't know what grains of paradise taste like, but I think I picked it up too. (Just looked up grains of paradise and it's a peppery flavor...that's pretty easy to pick up).

It's kind of sweet and kind of spicy, but only slightly bitter and definitely dry and tart. More of a puckering kind of tart, rather than a cleansing kind of tart.

Certainly not a bad beer, just something I haven't quite developed a taste for. Too many competing flavors and sensations. I guess you could say it's complex. (884 characters)

2010 batch 4

pours cloudy golden orange with a 2 finger white head that faded to a film and left some spotted lacing

smells of citrus and something that reminded me of run and cokes?

taste is different lots of spices - some remind me of xmas some lemon some orange all connected with the bready malt

mouthfeel is a little heavier and lower carbed then i would like but it works with the higher abv

drinkability was ok - i enjoyed this high spiced beer so close to the holiday - decent sipper on cold winter night (517 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle a hazy orange color with a fast-fading white head.

Aroma of corriander, orange peel, wheat, and cloves.

The taste had a hearty mentholated cough drop note that overpowered all else and was hard to ignore. Behind that was orange peel, malt and spice. Finish is on the tart side.

Medium bodied and dry with a bright carbonation.

To me, the mentholated cough drop taste was too much and soured the enjoyment. Not one of my favorites from Boulevard. (472 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured into glass and had very good head. Light coppery color. The smell has fruity distinctions, specifically pear and apricot. Beer is highly carbonated and is very fruity. The bitterness is acidic probably from orange peel and as mentioned on the label a lactic fermentation. No real flavor or smell of hops noted. No distinct flavor of sweetness or malt noted. I wish there would have been more flavor/spice from corriander or malt sweetness to balance the bitter fruit. Drinkability is good and beer has slight warming character. Overall not a bad beer but lacks some characteristics that I enjoy in Belgian Wits. (618 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Saw this one on tap at Oskar Blues Liquids and Solids, and wanted to try this one after really enjoying Great Divide's Double Wit the other day. This one was, sadly, not nearly as good. Poured from the tap a promising golden honey color, with a decent bit of foam. Decent herbal nose, with coriander, cardamom and a bit of orange peel. Similar on the palate, with a bit of alcoholic punch. (389 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from 12/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a clear orange amber with nice carbonation. Thick white head leaves lots of lacing. Somewhat sour, citrus and light fruit start. Coriander, citrus and light hop finish with a hint of wild yeast. Nicely made, but a bit too sour and coriander forward for me. (323 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Presentation: Nice 750ml bottle, corked and caged

Appearance: Hazy dark straw/orange beer with medium streaming carbonation and a big creamy white head which soon fades to a thick film with nice retention

Smell: The expected orange and coriander notes are present, but with big doses of lemon creme and hints of alcohol as well.

Taste: Kind of strange; it's not really like your typical wit (which is expected). The booze comes through fairly strong, though it's not really hot; it's almost perceived more in mouthfeel than anything else. There are definitely orange and coriander flavors in the forefront, while the lactic yeast culture mentioned on the bottle struts its stuff with some mild sourness. There are also nice hints of lime peel.

Mouthfeel: Fairly heavy actually

Drinkability: Medium to medium-high

Conclusion: This is definitely an interesting beer and is fairly tasty. It's kind of like a cross between a Saison, a Tripel, and a really freaking boozy/heavy Wit. Which is all kind of strange. It's not something I love, or something I'd necessarily go out and get again. Something about the full body and the flavors just doesn't quite work for me. (1,172 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks n8 buddy!!!

Without the yeast, you have an almost golden amber color with plenty of visible carbonation. Once you get to the yeast at the bottom of the bottle, you get a merange like orange and tea color. Hard to see any bubbles in this fog. The head is pronounced after the first two pours, but scurries away in shame after that to nothing.

The aroma is heavy herbal with some sweet toast bringing up the rear. That coriander dominates the nose all day. Maybe a little too strong for high accolades. I also get a little note of chammomile tea lingering that brings the smell rating up a bit.

The taste is equally herbal with coriander and a few tingling notes of chammomile tea. Add to that a strong toasted malt biscuit backbone throughout the palate.

Add to the flavoring a thin carbonated syrup feel of sweet biscuits.

Good double wit that I am so glad to try. (879 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased n Minneapolis in Feb/2010 @ Surdyk's. Batch No 1-2009

Poured a cloudy yellow with average head and no lacing. The aroma was spicy, with pepper,and light fruit,mainly citrus. The taste was spicy overtop a light maltiness. Some sweetness was evident and pepper was evident. A citrusy fruit was evident in the finish. Strong carbonation in the mouthfeel,which enhanced the wit flavours. Spiciness was a bit too strong to make this a very drinkable beer. (461 characters)

Two Jokers Double-Wit from Boulevard Brewing Co.