Two Jokers Double-Wit - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Two Jokers Double-WitTwo Jokers Double-Wit

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

They say there are two sides to every story, and that’s certainly true of Two Jokers Double-Wit. On the one hand, it’s a revival of the classic Belgian “wit,” or “white” ale, with lactic fermentation providing a refreshing tartness. On the other hand, it’s a modern, uniquely American brew; big, flavorful, and spiced with cardamom, coriander, orange peel, lavender, and grains of paradise.

(Beer added by: naterock on 05-10-2009)
1.08/5  rDev -72.9%

1.32/5  rDev -66.9%

1.5/5  rDev -62.4%

2.05/5  rDev -48.6%

Hazy golden-orange. Zero lacing from a foamy white head that disappeared quickly. Smell was tart, along with some fruity white grapes. Somebody else mentioned Sprite in their review, that's certainly near the taste, something like a fruity punch spiked with Sprite. The mouthfeel is bright, crisp, highly carbonated. Quite frankly I wish this was 750 mL of Sprite. I could use a Sprite right now to cleanse my palate.

2.3/5  rDev -42.4%

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%

2.6/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured chilled in ale glass

A: clear golden yellow, thin head, no lacing;
S: pear, paint thinner (in a good way); inviting
T: very distinctive, lemony, acidic; exudes a Diet Sprite flavor with orange overtone; the alcohol is disguised well; the bottle conditioning is not as pronounced as I would have expected.

Overall, I'm not very impressed with this beer, a rare naysay for this one.

2.63/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured from a corked and caged 750. The cork was a beast to remove, like the other series beers. It took pliers and alot of elbo grease to torque this thing out of the bottle.

The pour reveals a very large foam like head. 3'' of it. A shit load of carbonation bubbles riseing in the glass, it looks like champagne. Although the color is a bit darker than champagne. Its a murky pale golden color, non transparent unfiltered looking.
The head is slow to settle, but finally receeds to leave a quarter inch foam frothy coating.
Spotty lace in streaks of thick foam.

Aroma of cloves, corriander, orange peels, peppery spice, wheat and some spicie earthy hay filled hops. Its crisp at the knose, with resemlence to a belgian pale. Some lemons and citric rind aroma, pie crust.
It kind of reminds me of lemon marang pie.

Mouthfeel is a bit creamy with a fuller bodied feel then what I was ecpecting. Be it flaked barley?
Some slickness to it as well. Carbonation packed a punch into the swallow stinging the tounge.

Its extremely acidic, almost unbearably so. Its like lemon lime bitter overload actually. I'm not fond of the lemon lime taste coming off this and the acidity is just too much.
Have you ever licked a lemon, then a lime and then drank lemon concentrate?
Alot of grassy hops here and cracked wheat. More peppery flavors. Carbonation is also in abundance with this.

I'm not feeling this beer. The taste is so acidic I just dont like that aspect of it.
The mouthfeel prior to carbonation overload is actually pretty good.
Midway through its time in mouth though is where it falls apart for me. The appearance ebing a strong point on this beer.

Avoid if you dont like acidic overcarbonated beers.

2.63/5  rDev -34.1%

Reviewed 9/23/2009 (bottle batch#2-2009):

Pours a huge whitish head, extremely quickly diminishing. I've never seen a head form and disappear so quickly. Somewhat opaque body, light orange cloudy in color. Sweet spicy aroma, very floral, reminiscent of an Abbey Triple. Maybe coriander. Very fruity, light fruit like white grapes, pears. Not an overly strong aroma, might be related to the disappearing head. Sweet taste, orange peel, maybe clove. Not a strong taste. Diminishing aftertaste. Though a sweet spiciness lingers. Very mild tasting, almost bland. Billed as a double wit I expected more flavor. But it's not bad, just not as flavorful as I was expecting.

2.65/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Freetail pint glass. It poured a hazy, light orange color with a thin and bubbly white head to it.

I really get a lot of the lavender out of it at first. Behind that more of a citrus orange peel, coriander flavor comes out. It has too many spices going on for me, it reminds me more of potpourri then beer.

The taste follows more of the same with spices dominating the profile. The citrusy orange peel and coriander are pretty good and fit with the style. The lavender is too much for me though and again reminds me of potpourri. It's just over spiced for me and could have used more beer flavors coming through.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being above average. Drinkability isn't good for me, I thought it was overly spiced and some of the spices like lavender just didn't work at all for me.

2.75/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A Halloween-carnival, one of those silly harvest-festivals where one always has far too much sugar and pie, feeling sickly on the hay-ride, tired of listening to the same old songs pour forth from those tired old hands on that tired old guitar...
It was a light orange sunset, slightly cloudy, and little head, when we came clopping up the old dirt road, the Indian corn hanging by the doorway and a barbecue pit out back...
The smell of pumpkin-spice and coriander, cardamom, orange peel, and I can get the grains of paradise, such a silly name you know, I hope paradise isn't like this...
And the pies, the cakes, the sugar-corn... very sweet. Too sweet. Sickly sweet. Honey-ish, lemon-spice, an alcoholic mess of a finish, and that song goes on, won't his fingers get tired?
Fluffy, a bit of tongue-prickle from the carbonation, and a warm-syrup finish. I'm glad this only happens once a year, this is far too sweet, too much candy corn, I've had all I can handle. Time to get on home, gotta get that song out of my head...

2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

750 mL bottle pours a hazy dark gold color with a huge cap of off-white, large-bubbled foam. Decent retention and lacing. Pretty good looking beer, love the label as well.

Nose is heavy on the wheat and coriander with a fair dose of orange peel. Some Belgian yeasty aromas come through as well as a hint of citric hop.

Taste is lemony wheat and coriander driven. Pithy, bitter citrus peel along with a hearty helping of alcohol. For me, the wit is a style that need not be imperialized, so that factors into my low rating for this beer. Not to mention there is no way in hell I could finish a whole 750 by myself. Belgian yeasties make their presence felt near the end, but it is not enough to change my feelings about the beer. I was barely able to choke down my half of the bottle. I enjoyed the Sam Adams and Southampton versions much better. Definitely my least favorite Boulevard offering, usually love their stuff.

Two Jokers Double-Wit from Boulevard Brewing Co.