Two Jokers Double-Wit - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Two Jokers Double-WitTwo Jokers Double-Wit

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

They say there are two sides to every story, and that’s certainly true of Two Jokers Double-Wit. On the one hand, it’s a revival of the classic Belgian “wit,” or “white” ale, with lactic fermentation providing a refreshing tartness. On the other hand, it’s a modern, uniquely American brew; big, flavorful, and spiced with cardamom, coriander, orange peel, lavender, and grains of paradise.

(Beer added by: naterock on 05-10-2009)

AllHailBeercules, Aug 27, 2012

beernads, Jan 05, 2013

PhineasGage, Dec 31, 2011

fredmugs, Nov 01, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured chilled in ale glass

A: clear golden yellow, thin head, no lacing;
S: pear, paint thinner (in a good way); inviting
T: very distinctive, lemony, acidic; exudes a Diet Sprite flavor with orange overtone; the alcohol is disguised well; the bottle conditioning is not as pronounced as I would have expected.

Overall, I'm not very impressed with this beer, a rare naysay for this one.

Arithmeticus, Sep 12, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured from a corked and caged 750. The cork was a beast to remove, like the other series beers. It took pliers and alot of elbo grease to torque this thing out of the bottle.

The pour reveals a very large foam like head. 3'' of it. A shit load of carbonation bubbles riseing in the glass, it looks like champagne. Although the color is a bit darker than champagne. Its a murky pale golden color, non transparent unfiltered looking.
The head is slow to settle, but finally receeds to leave a quarter inch foam frothy coating.
Spotty lace in streaks of thick foam.

Aroma of cloves, corriander, orange peels, peppery spice, wheat and some spicie earthy hay filled hops. Its crisp at the knose, with resemlence to a belgian pale. Some lemons and citric rind aroma, pie crust.
It kind of reminds me of lemon marang pie.

Mouthfeel is a bit creamy with a fuller bodied feel then what I was ecpecting. Be it flaked barley?
Some slickness to it as well. Carbonation packed a punch into the swallow stinging the tounge.

Its extremely acidic, almost unbearably so. Its like lemon lime bitter overload actually. I'm not fond of the lemon lime taste coming off this and the acidity is just too much.
Have you ever licked a lemon, then a lime and then drank lemon concentrate?
Alot of grassy hops here and cracked wheat. More peppery flavors. Carbonation is also in abundance with this.

I'm not feeling this beer. The taste is so acidic I just dont like that aspect of it.
The mouthfeel prior to carbonation overload is actually pretty good.
Midway through its time in mouth though is where it falls apart for me. The appearance ebing a strong point on this beer.

Avoid if you dont like acidic overcarbonated beers.

Buebie, Jun 04, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -34.1%

Reviewed 9/23/2009 (bottle batch#2-2009):

Pours a huge whitish head, extremely quickly diminishing. I've never seen a head form and disappear so quickly. Somewhat opaque body, light orange cloudy in color. Sweet spicy aroma, very floral, reminiscent of an Abbey Triple. Maybe coriander. Very fruity, light fruit like white grapes, pears. Not an overly strong aroma, might be related to the disappearing head. Sweet taste, orange peel, maybe clove. Not a strong taste. Diminishing aftertaste. Though a sweet spiciness lingers. Very mild tasting, almost bland. Billed as a double wit I expected more flavor. But it's not bad, just not as flavorful as I was expecting.

jujubeast6000, Dec 05, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Freetail pint glass. It poured a hazy, light orange color with a thin and bubbly white head to it.

I really get a lot of the lavender out of it at first. Behind that more of a citrus orange peel, coriander flavor comes out. It has too many spices going on for me, it reminds me more of potpourri then beer.

The taste follows more of the same with spices dominating the profile. The citrusy orange peel and coriander are pretty good and fit with the style. The lavender is too much for me though and again reminds me of potpourri. It's just over spiced for me and could have used more beer flavors coming through.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being above average. Drinkability isn't good for me, I thought it was overly spiced and some of the spices like lavender just didn't work at all for me.

billab914, Oct 26, 2010

mendvicdog, Sep 30, 2014

Bosoxfan20, Aug 18, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A Halloween-carnival, one of those silly harvest-festivals where one always has far too much sugar and pie, feeling sickly on the hay-ride, tired of listening to the same old songs pour forth from those tired old hands on that tired old guitar...
It was a light orange sunset, slightly cloudy, and little head, when we came clopping up the old dirt road, the Indian corn hanging by the doorway and a barbecue pit out back...
The smell of pumpkin-spice and coriander, cardamom, orange peel, and I can get the grains of paradise, such a silly name you know, I hope paradise isn't like this...
And the pies, the cakes, the sugar-corn... very sweet. Too sweet. Sickly sweet. Honey-ish, lemon-spice, an alcoholic mess of a finish, and that song goes on, won't his fingers get tired?
Fluffy, a bit of tongue-prickle from the carbonation, and a warm-syrup finish. I'm glad this only happens once a year, this is far too sweet, too much candy corn, I've had all I can handle. Time to get on home, gotta get that song out of my head...

khiasmus, Sep 23, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

750 mL bottle pours a hazy dark gold color with a huge cap of off-white, large-bubbled foam. Decent retention and lacing. Pretty good looking beer, love the label as well.

Nose is heavy on the wheat and coriander with a fair dose of orange peel. Some Belgian yeasty aromas come through as well as a hint of citric hop.

Taste is lemony wheat and coriander driven. Pithy, bitter citrus peel along with a hearty helping of alcohol. For me, the wit is a style that need not be imperialized, so that factors into my low rating for this beer. Not to mention there is no way in hell I could finish a whole 750 by myself. Belgian yeasties make their presence felt near the end, but it is not enough to change my feelings about the beer. I was barely able to choke down my half of the bottle. I enjoyed the Sam Adams and Southampton versions much better. Definitely my least favorite Boulevard offering, usually love their stuff.

twiggamortis420, Feb 13, 2010

Tiernan, Aug 02, 2014

LoadedSchells, Jul 14, 2012

Derrill, Aug 31, 2014

derik33, Aug 09, 2014

Archimedes, Feb 18, 2012

drummermattie02, Jan 05, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -24.1%

A:a nice hazy,dark grain/straw color. Decent white head that hangs around.

S:light herbal and grassy notes, bit of citrus.

T. Nice smooth wheat base, some citrusy flavors in the middle, mostly orange and lemon, with herbs/spices and a grassy flavor at the end, which lingers awhile and is too strong for me.

M: medium bodied, smooth and somewhat creamy.

D: pretty good for an 8% beer, goes down without tasting like it, but I am feeling it near the bottom of the bottle. However, the overpowering herbal taste makes me wish I had someone to split the bottle with. I

headbucket, Dec 13, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -22.3%

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy orangeish golden color wiht a thick 1" head of fluffy and creamy looking foam. Though the beer is pretty cloudy, you can see a bunch of bubbles rising up the glass.

Aroma: The initial aroma was quite nice with a mix of sweetness and the spice. As the beer warms up, there are wheaty notes coming out and the spice is getting more intense. The alcohol must be contributing to the overall spice thing going on here, but it is getting pretty strong.

Taste: The flavor is more bold than what the aroma suggested, with the spice being in the forefront. They are adding a dry complexity to the initial part of the flavor and that carries all the way into the finish. The finish is quite dry and the carbonation is high, so it dries things out even more. The finish is not that pleasant.

Opinion: I was hoping for a nice beer with this one, but I am not too impressed. It is pretty good, but just a little too out of balance in a number of ways. I will drink the whole thing, but I have to admit that spiced beers arent't my thing. This is OK is you like your spiced beers on the really spicy side. Otherwise, you may want to steer clear of this one.

Note - I initially gave this beer a 2.95, but after drinking about half of the bottle, the flavor and mouthfeel got a good bit easier to take, but the beer still didn't do much to become a drinker.

SkeeterHawk, Mar 07, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured in a tulip class from 750mL bottle.

A: pours a light orange to straw color with a nice head quickly settling patchy lace.

S: Citrus and spice at first, but a swirl reveals almost a pear or apricot kind of sweetness.

T: Zest. Bright lemon and orange zest. Crisp and fruity yet tart and tangy.

M: tight carbonation and malty body but lacking some for the whites that I have experienced and would compare it to.

D: Not one that I would finish the entire bottle, but definitely would share it with friends on a hot Oklahoma summer day.

BrewsBrother, Jul 09, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -19.8%

Batch 2011-2/01-2012 (the former the brew date, the later expiration, I assume). Poured into a chalice, two jokers is murky straw yellow with a fluffy white head

Smell is very floral, spicy. Sweeter as is warms. Potpourri.

Taste is spicy, whoa. The adjuncts are heavy handed. Lavender and cardamon dominate, losing the esters, wheat and other classic character I love in this style.

Mouthfeel is dry, light bodied.

Drinkability is okay, it's a lighter, dry brew, and the high ABV is well hidden, but way to spicy for my taste. I love classic wit biers, these home-brew kitchen sink style ones, much less so...

ccrida, Jul 22, 2011

Schlafly33, Aug 14, 2014

GreenMind, Nov 02, 2014

mrn1ceguy, Oct 28, 2014
Two Jokers Double-Wit from Boulevard Brewing Co.