Two Jokers Double-Wit - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Two Jokers Double-WitTwo Jokers Double-Wit

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: naterock on 05-10-2009

They say there are two sides to every story, and that’s certainly true of Two Jokers Double-Wit. On the one hand, it’s a revival of the classic Belgian “wit,” or “white” ale, with lactic fermentation providing a refreshing tartness. On the other hand, it’s a modern, uniquely American brew; big, flavorful, and spiced with cardamom, coriander, orange peel, lavender, and grains of paradise.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 493 | Reviews: 202

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Big thanks to JeepCop for this bottle...

A: Pours out a wonderfully bright translucent yellow two fingers of pure white head. The foam taste awhile to settle and there is a good amount of lacing left on the glass. Decent lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose smells of belgian yeast, wheat, lemons, oranges, and a touch of booze. There is a bit of earthiness to this beer, mainly grass, that I like.

T: It starts out sweet and fluffy on the palate. But as the beer makes it way towards the back of the mouth, the sour and tartness starts to come alive. It's big on the lemony citrus notes without being too overdone. I have to say that it was a nice tang to it. The finishes is that familiar belgian yeast taste. Part bubblegum, part candy cigarette, part funk.

M: Medium bodied beer. Don't be fooled by it's color, this beer has a bit of heft to it. The carbonation is spot on, and the flavors mingle nicely on the palate.

O: I think this is a really solid beer. It's smooth and creamy to start, but finishes tart and dry. I like it. I don't think I could drink this on the regular, but if I were in the mood for it, I'd seek it out. Another impressive offering from Boulevard.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

4.34/5  rDev +9%

Smokestack Glass
A ~ Pours slightly hazed peach. Head is silken and lacing is spotty & scattered.

S ~ Floral notes & bready pale malts jump out of the glass. Note of nectarine, orange peel, & garden greens. Coriander smells very fresh & green. Very glad that oversaturated (artificial) orange peel is not shining here. I expected this to be an Orange bomb hearing double wit.

T ~ Coriander, blood orange, & lime zest...Bitter orange peel & firm peaches on the finish. Herbal notes of grass & mint with a slight rosemary hint. Twinge of lemongrass.

M ~ Peppery & not too clingy. Very herbal...Boulevard has the most unique way of expressing coriander in their Belgians. Off-dry finish.

D ~ Really great wit. So much attention to detail. Not much else to say, the Smokestack series has not disappointed me yet. Their Belgians especially!

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Best by 12/2011

A - Pours a somewhat hazy golden brown with three fingers of white head. Head has excellent retention and leaves some lacing, but less than I would have thought.

S - Wheat, lemon, faint coriander and cardamom, some slight yeast funk, a bit of green apple.

T - More tart up front than I was expecting, but it is really enjoyable. Lemon and lactic tartness, followed by a nice wheat body complemented with subtle spicing and a bit of earthy yeast funk.

M- Medium mouthfeel. A bit heavier than most witbiers, which works really well on a cold winter night. Bright carbonation, finishing with a dry earthiness.

O - This is a perfect witbier for winter. A bit on the heavy side for the style, light but noticeable spicing, and a very pleasant tartness. I'd love to have this again.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

Poured from a bomber.
Wow! It looks, smells and tastes great. It reminds me of Blanche De Bruxelles but much more robust. Bubblegum, bananas, lemon all in here with an overall slight tartness. Everything is very well balanced. I love the lemony aftertaste.
I can't believe this is 8% abv. I've probably had over 200 different beers in the past 4 years. And never have I encountered a beer that masks a high abv like this one. I'm tasting none of the alcohol, though, I am feeling some of it... :-)
I'd probably give this a 4.75 across the board. However, since I can't I tried to approximate it in my scores. I wouldn't give any beer a perfect score, only a near perfect score for my very favorites.
This is a great effervescent beer. It makes my top 10 list of too close to call beers.
The first chance I get I'm heading back to where I bought this and cleaning their stock of 2 jokers out.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

750 ml bottle into tulip, bottled 1-2011; best by 12-2011. Pours hazy golden straw color with a nice 2 finger fairly dense white head with good retention that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of big banana, pepper, clove, herbs, ginger, wheat, citrus, bubblegum, light bread, and yeast spices. Some very nice and highly complex aromas, with great balance. Taste of big banana, bubblegum, pepper, clove, apple, citrus peel, light herbs, bread, grainy tartness, and yeast spices. Fairly dry finish; but some lingering notes of banana, bubblegum, tart grain, bread, spices, and citrus on the finish for a bit. Medium body and elevated carbonation; with a slightly creamy and slick mouthfeel, with some light prickly carbonation. Extremely smooth to drink; with pretty much no alcohol noticed at all for 8%. Overall this is an excellent imperial Witbier. Great balance of flavors; big complexity; and very smooth to drink for the level of alcohol. Really enjoyed this one.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Two Jokers Double-Wit from Boulevard Brewing Co.