Join our email list →

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Tank 7 Farmhouse AleTank 7 Farmhouse Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States | website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale | 8.50% ABV

Beer added by: grumpy on 06-19-2009

Most breweries have at least one piece of equipment that’s just a bit persnickity. Here at Boulevard we have fermenter number seven, the black sheep of our cellar family. Ironically, when our brewers were experimenting with variations on a traditional Belgian-style farmhouse ale, the perfect combination of elements came together in that very vessel. You could call it fate, but they called it Tank 7, and so it is. Beginning with a big surge of fruity aromatics and grapefruit-hoppy notes, the flavor of this complex, straw-colored ale tapers off to a peppery, dry finish.

Reviews: 945 | Hads: 4,678
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a murky yellowish color with a 5 finger head that doesn't go away quickly. Drinks smooth. Can tastes the citrus and orange as well as the saison. Leaves a spicy pepperish aftertaste. Gives a nasty hangover if you over consume as I did last night.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've been drinking this one for years – it was my first Boulevard, quite possibly my first saison as well. Still can't believe I haven't graded it until this day. It is as good as it has ever been. I think it is an exceptional example of the American style of this beer.

This review is of a 12 ounce bottle from their Great Eight Pack. Best by 5/6/16.

Pours a cloudy gold, very thick bright white foamy head with strong lacing. Very active carbonation. Things were moving in the glass up until I finished it, but there was no actual sediment.

Total lemon funk on the smell, tart citrus up front on the taste. Slight sour notes underlying, mouth filling, quite satisfying taste.

Love this one, will always drink it when given the opportunity.

Pours a golden color with an orange hue. A steady frothy white lace retains throughout. The aroma is citric and peppery. The taste is lemony, peppery and semi dry in the finish. Medium bodied and refreshing. Overall, I thought that this was a solid and tasty saison.

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I'm a fan on Tank 7, especially when it pours from a bottle. I've had it dozens of times on draft and I still prefer the bottle. More fizz, less boozy and fresher than a mountain stream in springtime. In short, this is one yummy, hazed out farmhouse brew.

L: Golden, unfiltered, white head that sticks around, bubbly
S: Funky, apple-lemon boot
T: Malt, yeast, funk, lemon, apple skins
F: Light but full, semi-watery
O: A nice offering from Boulevard

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bought in a 4-pack of 12 oz. bottles from Whole Foods in Arlington, VA. Marked as best by 7/31/16. Poured into a tulip glass.

Look: Cloudy and golden straw colored with a huge fluffy white head.

Smell: Predominantly hoppy and saison-y. Bright, clean scent.

Taste: Nice malt and yeast character, especially on the aftertaste. Maybe I've been drinking too many stouts lately, but this was a bit hoppier than I was expecting (my benchmark was my memory of Saison Dupont). Still, well-balanced.

Feel: Medium carbonation, medium body. Solid.

Overall: Enjoyable farmhouse ale, but a bit hoppier than I prefer.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Tank 7 pours an unfiltered looking yellow-orange with a foamy, white head. It leaves behind a great deal of lace. The aroma is sweet and citrus-y. The taste is sweet and citrus-y. Very robust, and yet smooth. Not overwhelming with it's flavor. It feels great as well. Really easy to drink, which might be unfortunate since it's 8.5% ABV. Overall, pick this beer up. It's probably one of the best known Boulevard beers. It tastes incredible good, with a little bit of sweetness, and it's really easy to drink - just remember it's 8.5%!

Served in a 12oz snifter.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Top notch stuff here, and I'm inclined to think that with another couple bottles I might score this even higher. The main knock is that it's just so big, you can't knock a couple back. Kind of hard to ding them too hard for that, of course, when the outcome is so tasty. Most of all, this is gorgeous to look at, vibrant, glowing peach gold hue, rocky layer of foam that hangs around as it should, nice lacing. Nose is very nice with good yeast character, some legit fruitiness, perhaps a touch of spicy phenols, and some nice graininess. Not especially funky, which I can dig and, frankly, think is overdone sometimes with saisons. Body is rich and full but quite drinkable, with a palate full of fruit (citrus)? and light yeasty flavor. It stays reasonably wet to my palate, not drying out much, but, again, I think that's one of its charms - this is a big, rich saison. Excellent stuff overall and one that I look forward to continuing to explore and understand. Well done, Boulevard.

3.82/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look: hazy gold, fairly large head. Looks carbonated and creamy.

Smell: not picking up as much here, yeast and malts. Smells citrus and yeast... and a little boozy.

Taste: Pepper, grapefruit peel, a little bit Ernest from the hops. Sweeter as it warms. Very yeasty.

Feel: Despite how bubbly it looks, this beer goes down smooth and creamy. Interesting, if not unexpected mouthfeel.

Overall: a mild, but odd saison. Almost Belgian in style. The citrus and the hops counter the sweet malt and yeast. Too sweet for me, but interesting enough to admire.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: Hazy golden straw color. Pours a large creamy head that lingers for a lick time, lots of thick lacing on the glass.

S: Bready malt, lemon and orange peels, saison yeast is quite evident.

T: Lemon and orange peel, banana, saison yeast, a nice lemon peel bitterness in the finish, bready malt. Some malt sweetness. Complex and quite tasty.

F: Creamy mouthfeel, quite a bit of carbonation, the 8 abv is very well hidden.

O: A beer that lives up to the hype.

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bright golden vibrant light golden, 3 finger pillow white head. Smells of Citrus fields and open farmland, a little bit lactic. Farmhouse taste, peppery bublegum. One of the better farmhouse beers I've had

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I received the Smokestack Series box from a friend for Christmas and I'm giving the Tank 7 a try in my 13oz. snifter. A best by date of 04-2016.

Look- Pours a very lively hazy pale yellow with a copious three fingers of foam. The foam settles just a bit leaving some beautiful lacing.

Smell- Lemon, pepper, clove, and a little banana in the finish.

Taste- Refreshing lemon with some clove and pepper in the finish.

Feel- Starts wet and refreshing, finishes semi tart and dry.

Overall- A very tasty and refreshing beer that drinks so much lighter than the 8.5 percent abv. I had this many years ago and I'm so glad I was given this gift and a chance to revisit.

I have heard about Boulevard for years, often overlooking it. Recently for New Years 2015, I saw it at the distributor and took a chance, as I was grilling some wings I cracked one open and every thing I ever heard, every critique, every review which I thought were more about nostalgia than taste were true. Easily a personal top 10 beer of mine! Well done Boulevard!

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Slightly hazy bright golden color with a huge thick head with live carbonation, good retention and leaving good laces.
Nice aroma with notes of peaches, passion fruit, herbaceous, orange citrusy, pear, pineapple foam and Saison yeast.
Flavor with notes of piney and herbal hops, grapefruit, lime, white pepper, lemongrass, soap, flowers, cloves, pineapple, wheat, lychees and candi sugar. Dry aftertaste with a good bitterness.
Light body with good carbonation. Alcohol of 8.5% is unbelievable well disguised.
Hoppy and complex Saison that successfully was able to marry different unobvious notes. Definitely worth trying.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Very unique. Opaque straw colored with good white head. Sweetness on the nose with citrus/grapefruit notes. Slight bitter finnish, but not unpleasant. This is an ale that I will definitely drink again!

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Very good beer. A bit too happy for a farmhouse ale IMHO, which could be a good thing considering many farmhouse ales lack of depth of flavor. A good choice.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm asking myself why I waited so long to try this Farmhouse Ale. It reminds me of a Belgian Tripel with its creamy texture and rich malty flavor. Did I mention it's delicious? Well, it's delicious. It looks deceptively simple, slightly yeast-heavy in appearance with the evidence of high carbonation content. The brightness really helps deliver the full flavor. I highly recommend this one... but, just one - maybe two. After that, you're on your own, because the 8.5% ABV demands a slow sip.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Brewery: Boulevard Brewing Company of Missouri, KS
Style: Farmhouse Ale or Saison
IBU: 38
ABV: 8.5%

Aroma: Citrus, mild floral, grapefruit, caramel smell, lemon
Malt: Belgium type style, alcohol layers folded in, strong malt presence, gives a great sweetness -through sweetness you are getting citrus hops, particularly grapefruit and lemon.

Hops: Lemon grass and maybe a little bit of green on hop flavor. Sweetness of apples or pears. Bitterness is very pulled back to point where it is hard to detect. You do get a sense of tartness which aids to the apple/pear taste.

After-taste: Very strong.

Body: Mouth coating, very high carbonation.

Ideal For: Those who enjoy sweeter and complex beers. Those who are curious about how citrus or floral flavors can be incorporated into a beer. Those who want to try one of the best saisons produced in the United States.

Full Video Review ---> http://www.leafandhops.com/tank-7/

3.69/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Hazy orange-yellow color with several fingers of bright white head that lasts. Belgian yeast up front in the aroma and taste, with banana, papaya, orange, lemon peel, white pepper and soap notes. Medium bodied for the style with decent carbonation. Had high expectations for this one, but the taste is pretty middle of the road.

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Duvel tulip, dated best by 3/16/2016

Appearance - cloudy golden colored body with thick white head

Smell - citrus tones - lemon, lime, Apple, pear, clove, wheat

Taste - much like the aroma - citrus with the lemons/limes, Apple, pear, mango, clove, wheat, hint of black pepper

Mouthfeel - heavier end of medium bodied, full carbonation, citrus sweetness upfront, Belgian spiciness/yeastiness follows, slight tartness

Overall - well done Saison here, hits all of the notes properly without a lot of funk or bitterness.

Price Point - $10/4 pk 12 oz bottles

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was poured into a tulip.
The appearance was a hazy burnt yellow color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated at a nice pace. Light lacing stuck around the glass nicely and slid at a nice pace.
The smell had some citrus, Belgian spices and sweet floral notes over top of a light bready/yeastiness. Slight funk enters in for the balance.
The taste started with the spice and lead into a sly funky sweetness. Citrusy aftertaste sharpens and hits in the finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a fairly sharp sweet to funky barnyard-esque complexity hitting my tongue nicely.
Overall, so this was a mistake, right? Haha, cheers to Boulevard for making one of the greatest mistakes of a saison! On par and beyond!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

A- Nice, semi-hazed effervescent light gold. Head is white with great lacing, and a rocky two finger retention.

S- Bright lemon citrus. Bready malt. Belgian spices. Slightly floral. Really great aromatics coming out of this one. Complex.

T- Bready, some dry citrus peel/pith. Mildly alcoholic in flavor, and spicy.

M- Crisp. A bit of a dry finish. Rather light for the ABV. Carbonation is bright.

O- This is great. Alcohol is a little strong but such a great aroma.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Boulevard Brewing Co. "Tank 7"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, "BEST BY 12/22/15"
$2.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

This may seem like just a meandering reminiscence dear reader, but I assure you there is a point to it. I first tasted Boulevard's "Tank 7" many years ago in what was at the time Omaha Nebraska's best beer bar (which was actually a crummy little bar, but who cares?). It was X-mas time and my family was rushing around, trying to get a lot done - time to relax and really enjoy a beer was not on the menu, but they did allow me to make one stop because it was the premier beer bar at the time. I could have chosen almost any other beer and have been perfectly happy just chugging it down and getting back on the road, but I didn't. I chose the big fancy bottle of Tank 7 and shared it 'round the table. No one was impressed but me... that candyish and wheaty malt, the soft clove, those notes of lemon and yeasty chalk, mango, papaya, and the surprisingly dry and gently peppery finish all made me want to just sit there and bask in its glory all day long. But there was none of that!!! I was forced to quickly finish up what was probably the best beer that I'd sampled in months. How bitter! As I left, the image from the label was etched in my mind. I returned home to the east coast yearning for it in the way that I'd once yearned for Unibroue's "La Fin Du Monde" before that became available to me. In time the memory of it simply evaporated - until a return trip to Wisconsin brought me more! Fast forward 5 to 10 years and I can now get it readily, and it remains a mainstay for me - a desert island beer if you will.

Great, balanced beer, just not my thing. Too much like a white or Belgian for my taste. Many people's favorite and understandably, but personally not a hit for me.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

10/18...pours bright gold with 1/4 inch foam. Gritty funky nose. Some bubblegum too. Fun bitter. Chalky smooth mouthfeel but punchy carbonation. Some citrus underneath. Sneaky boozy. Very good.

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.