Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Tank 7 Farmhouse AleTank 7 Farmhouse Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: grumpy on 06-19-2009

Most breweries have at least one piece of equipment that’s just a bit persnickity. Here at Boulevard we have fermenter number seven, the black sheep of our cellar family. Ironically, when our brewers were experimenting with variations on a traditional Belgian-style farmhouse ale, the perfect combination of elements came together in that very vessel. You could call it fate, but they called it Tank 7, and so it is. Beginning with a big surge of fruity aromatics and grapefruit-hoppy notes, the flavor of this complex, straw-colored ale tapers off to a peppery, dry finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,281 | Reviews: 929
2.32/5  rDev -44.5%

Not a fan of this beer.

2.36/5  rDev -43.5%

Apparently I am just not a fan of this style.

2.38/5  rDev -43.1%

I think this was an extra from Exiled. Thanks!

12oz. brown bottle poured into a Levitation tulip.

A: Pours a few tints darker than a pour gold color with nice clarity. 2 fingers of nearly pearl white head with good retention and some lacing.

S: Somewhat subtle but pleasant. Very fruity with plenty of yeasty esters. Not a lot of phenols from the yeast. Light pilsner malts.

T/M: Sharp grain bite and some phenols from the yeast, which is surprising after the aroma. Very peppery and there's a bit of alcohol bite as well. Yeasty esters are being dominated by the phenols but still there behind everything. Body is medium with high carbonation. This beer just get worse as I drink it and as it warms.

D: The phenols are nearly outrageous. If not for this, I think it be pretty drinkable. I actually had to drain pour it after it warmed up further.

2.45/5  rDev -41.4%

A: 4 finger head, funny, the carbonation on the bottom is a perfect circle floating to the top. The head goes down quickly. Nice mellow golden color.

S: Citrus aroma, slightly mettallic, grapefruit.

T: Bitter, bitter, bitter! Hoppy with some grapefruit and other citrus. The bitter taste stays with you as you drink it. Gets more bitter as you drink on.

M: great carbonation, good feel.

O: I was so disappointed in this beer. I was really bitter and just kept getting more and more bitter as I drank it. The grapefruit is nice and refreshing, but the hoppy, bitterness overwhelms any other tones within the beer. I will not be buying this beer again.

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was a weak beer. It tasted like water that sat in a barn overnight.

2.56/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

There was just something about the aftertaste.

2.68/5  rDev -35.9%

More hoppy then I expected but not bad flavor with not much after taste

2.7/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I love boulevards beers, and I know they have GREAT beers. So I'll try to be as nice as I can about this beer. Ok, where to start.. I bought this beer for 11.99 for a 4 PACK. Yes a 4 pack. So I was thinking what anyone would think... This must be GREAT BEER!!! That assumption was wrong. TBH I flat out didn't like this beer, which almost NEVER happens...First of all its way overpriced, it doesn't go down smooth, it doesn't taste good, it doesn't smell good, and it barely even tastes like beer!.. I think the brewers were already drunk when they made this brew because its nothing like the other boulevard brews which are Great! It reminded me of beer made out of hay or straw that someone spiked with some vodka... literally. The only reason I think it says farmhouse ale is because it tastes like a cow brewed it. As a die-hard boulevard fan I am somewhat upset with this brew, especially at 11.99 a 4 PACK kind of feeling ripped off.. I'm surprised boulevard even releases this, and even more surprised with it's high ratings here?? Maybe this beer just wasn't for me but I couldn't find one quality about the beer I liked except for the label!.. If you like to spike your beers with hay and vodka this beers for you!!!

2.71/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Tank 7 poured a hazy bright color with a nice large white lacing head. The aroma has alo of pepper and flower notes. The taste has strong pepper and flowery notes, strong spice notes. Full flavor and nice feel, nice carbonation. Overall found the tastes a bit offensive and undrinkable not for me.

2.71/5  rDev -35.2%

Very excited to receive this extra from mizzouguy! Bottle dated best by 2.24.12 and poured into wine glass.

A- Deep gold color. Pours an inch foamy white head. Very clingy and sticky looking.

S- Crisp floral aroma with a pungent citrus sting. Nice, but nothing spectacular as far as saisons go. Slightly rubbery on the back end.

T/M- Malt is heavy and the main flavor component. A ton of biscuit and bread. Not what I look for in a saison- just can't get behind the high alcohol saisons... Not much hops at all, little bitterness with a little saison funk. Not even a delicate floral flavor found. Medium heavy on the tongue but high carbonation does lighten up a bit.

O- I am yet to find a high alcohol saison that really works for me. I look to a saison on a hot day for that refreshing, crisp, delicate feel. These aren't doing that for me.

2.74/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

A decent Belgian ale not a fan but worth a try

2.74/5  rDev -34.4%

Appearance- very nice,great white lacing,head white foamy and hangs around most the duration. Color was a clean haze of yellow/orange. THE smell is just not good. Overwhelmed with a grassy "farmhouse" odor,and someone using a lemon fresh deoderizer to cover up the bitterness. THE tast is what I would imagine furniture polish tasting like, (*&($& pledge). The ABV may be too much, I dont know....but sip was hard to finish. Im truly sorry because Im a huge fan of Boulevard...wont willingly grab this again.

2.93/5  rDev -29.9%

Appearance- I poured a bommer into a snifter and the result was a hazy blond colors with a thick white 2 finger head that looks like it will hang around to the end. The body looks a lot like a german heff with a little more carbonation. No complaints. Very nice looking beer.

Smell- The citrus came through first followed by flowers and the pepper. There is a lot going on here with the nose. The smells that come through is pretty and intense but It does not really smell like beer to me.

Taste- The taste is even more intese that the smell. Strong citrus up front followed by a peppery bite and for me it was pretty boozy on the back. As the beer warmed and I drank more I was getting more and more of that hot alcohal tast that kind of made it hard to drink for me. The beer is complex but lacks balace in my opinion. There is nothing in the flavor profile that really tells me its beer.

Mouthfeel- medium body with more carobonation that expected.

Overall-I was not real impressed with the taste and have no real desire to drink this beer again. The main problem I had with this beer was it was more like drinking champagne or sparkeling white wine than beer. I dont really like wine which stands to reason why I did not like this beer. It looks like my opinion is in the minority so by all means try it out for yourself. If you like champagne or fruity wines this may be the beer for you.

2.95/5  rDev -29.4%

Not a fan. Def not a 93 in my honest opinion. Cheers

2.97/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Bought in a pick 6 from Central Market.
Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a goblet.
(Review from notes)
I've been wanting to try some good saisons. Really looking forward to this.

A - Gold, foggy, and lots of carbonation. Fluffy thick head that's sticky and long-lasting.

S - Citrus. Spices. Clove.

T - Medium-to-somewhat strong hops. Really hoping for more citrus.

M - Watery and thin, fairly clean aftertaste. Makes me thirsty.

Summary - More of a pale ale. Unbalanced. Not much flavor other than hops. I'm glad I went for the 12 oz bottle, not the bomber. I'm really disappointed. Meh.

2.99/5  rDev -28.5%

Best by 25NOV12

Pours clear golden with a persistent 2-3 fingers of loose, white foam. Leaves gobs of lace. Smells like a classic Saison, sweet grain with clay, malts, plenty of yeast character, a bit of lemon and hay. Middle of the road nose. Tastes like it's got some band aids in it, a good light malt backbone with some seltzer notes, a good amount of early bitterness, some metallic hints and a little vinous overtures. Medium bodied with tight, sharp and excessive carb. A thick, wet finish. Not a bad beer, but nothing I'm inclined to appraise or seek out. A great intro to the middle of the road for an interested party.

Sweet and inoffensive. It's okay. Would drink again.

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

Love Boulevard's high ABV brews, but this one is not good. Also, it does not taste like a Saison. More of a Belgian IPA.

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

A- Bright hazy golden yellow. Pours 2 fingers white head, dissipates quickly. Nice lacing throughout. Nice looking saison.

S- Some hay, a little sweet and just a bit of sour. Not an extremely fragrant beer but this isn't the most fragrant of styles.

T- Saisons are not my favorite style of beer. I want more complexity. This is a pleasant drinker but I usually don't reach for this style for this reason. Nice fresh hay notes with some sweet apple and a slightly sour finish. Barnyard start, sweet aftertaste.

M- Crisp, doesn't linger. Highly carbonated beer leads to shorter swigs.

O- I am not very experienced in this style but the Saisons I have had have always seemed to sugary, headache inducing to me. Not a bad tasting beer.

20oz / Pint Glass / Victoria Gastro Pub, Columbia, MD

A: translucent yellow/orange; little head; no lacing
S: grapefruit, musk
T: bitter, grapefruit citrus-y, spiced (clove?); a "farmhouse ale" which qualifies as an IPA
M: light-medium-bodied
O: A potent not-quite-IPA, it definitely has that farmyard musky/musty funk, crossed with a marzen

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a clear gold with big fluffy head, settles to a dense cap, spay of thick foam down the glass. Smell: soapy, dried pineapple, floral, spices -not for cooking or baking but some bs bathroom smelly crap. This beer smells like your grandmother's bathroom. If you were eating dried pineapple in it, instead of whatever you're really doing. Taste: mirrors the nose...just a ton of spices that don't mesh, dried sweetened pineapple, pils/pale overly sweet. Sticky candy finish after the spices fade. Fruity without definition, overly sweet, overly spiced. Phenolic like a bpa. Ratings don't compute because this is not a good saison.

3.06/5  rDev -26.8%

Likes:

Looks - Nice color and head. Looks good in a glass.

Meh:

Taste and smell were too sweet for my liking. In fact I found the whole thing very one dimensional. Based on other reviews maybe I got a bad bottle. I wouldn't mind trying it again.

Overall I could spend a night drinking this, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick it up.

3.07/5  rDev -26.6%

2015 Washington Post Winner in March Madness Contest

3.07/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer is very reminiscent of an IPA but it had the fruity undertones that highlights a Saison. It has got great color but the smell and strong bitters make this one not really stand out as anything special. I think this would be a great beer for anyone looking to broaden their horizons out of IPA Land into the fuller diversity of the Land of Beer.

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

A – A bright gold color with a haze that was constant throughout the beer, a nice 1” head of foam was there after the pour, the reduced to a always present thin layer.

A – Lots of grapefruit and banana with some clove saying around. A touch of bready maltiness is present. Very little of the hop aroma, but I can pick up a little grassiness.

T- Banana is very present, somewhat overwhelming, with more clove on top of it. A taste of fresh sourdough lingers in the finish. The alcohol is very present.

M – Medium bodied beer, with a touch of chewiness. Nice amount of carbonation to help wash you tongue.

F-A balanced and drinkable beer, but watch yourself with the alcohol, the 8.0% will sneak up on you

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.