1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Tank 7 Farmhouse AleTank 7 Farmhouse Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Most breweries have at least one piece of equipment that’s just a bit persnickity. Here at Boulevard we have fermenter number seven, the black sheep of our cellar family. Ironically, when our brewers were experimenting with variations on a traditional Belgian-style farmhouse ale, the perfect combination of elements came together in that very vessel. You could call it fate, but they called it Tank 7, and so it is. Beginning with a big surge of fruity aromatics and grapefruit-hoppy notes, the flavor of this complex, straw-colored ale tapers off to a peppery, dry finish.

(Beer added by: grumpy on 06-19-2009)
View: Beers (44) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,588 | Reviews: 715 | Show All Ratings:
pwoods

2.28/5  rDev -45.1%

I think this was an extra from Exiled. Thanks!

12oz. brown bottle poured into a Levitation tulip.

A: Pours a few tints darker than a pour gold color with nice clarity. 2 fingers of nearly pearl white head with good retention and some lacing.

S: Somewhat subtle but pleasant. Very fruity with plenty of yeasty esters. Not a lot of phenols from the yeast. Light pilsner malts.

T/M: Sharp grain bite and some phenols from the yeast, which is surprising after the aroma. Very peppery and there's a bit of alcohol bite as well. Yeasty esters are being dominated by the phenols but still there behind everything. Body is medium with high carbonation. This beer just get worse as I drink it and as it warms.

D: The phenols are nearly outrageous. If not for this, I think it be pretty drinkable. I actually had to drain pour it after it warmed up further.

01-11-2011 05:34:28 | More by pwoods
Yokoono76

2.38/5  rDev -42.7%

A: 4 finger head, funny, the carbonation on the bottom is a perfect circle floating to the top. The head goes down quickly. Nice mellow golden color.

S: Citrus aroma, slightly mettallic, grapefruit.

T: Bitter, bitter, bitter! Hoppy with some grapefruit and other citrus. The bitter taste stays with you as you drink it. Gets more bitter as you drink on.

M: great carbonation, good feel.

O: I was so disappointed in this beer. I was really bitter and just kept getting more and more bitter as I drank it. The grapefruit is nice and refreshing, but the hoppy, bitterness overwhelms any other tones within the beer. I will not be buying this beer again.

03-03-2013 00:27:44 | More by Yokoono76
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

2.68/5  rDev -35.4%

Very excited to receive this extra from mizzouguy! Bottle dated best by 2.24.12 and poured into wine glass.

A- Deep gold color. Pours an inch foamy white head. Very clingy and sticky looking.

S- Crisp floral aroma with a pungent citrus sting. Nice, but nothing spectacular as far as saisons go. Slightly rubbery on the back end.

T/M- Malt is heavy and the main flavor component. A ton of biscuit and bread. Not what I look for in a saison- just can't get behind the high alcohol saisons... Not much hops at all, little bitterness with a little saison funk. Not even a delicate floral flavor found. Medium heavy on the tongue but high carbonation does lighten up a bit.

O- I am yet to find a high alcohol saison that really works for me. I look to a saison on a hot day for that refreshing, crisp, delicate feel. These aren't doing that for me.

07-25-2011 02:24:28 | More by TheGordianKnot
vette2006c5r

2.68/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Tank 7 poured a hazy bright color with a nice large white lacing head. The aroma has alo of pepper and flower notes. The taste has strong pepper and flowery notes, strong spice notes. Full flavor and nice feel, nice carbonation. Overall found the tastes a bit offensive and undrinkable not for me.

06-12-2013 01:29:04 | More by vette2006c5r
Warmonster

Missouri

2.69/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I love boulevards beers, and I know they have GREAT beers. So I'll try to be as nice as I can about this beer. Ok, where to start.. I bought this beer for 11.99 for a 4 PACK. Yes a 4 pack. So I was thinking what anyone would think... This must be GREAT BEER!!! That assumption was wrong. TBH I flat out didn't like this beer, which almost NEVER happens...First of all its way overpriced, it doesn't go down smooth, it doesn't taste good, it doesn't smell good, and it barely even tastes like beer!.. I think the brewers were already drunk when they made this brew because its nothing like the other boulevard brews which are Great! It reminded me of beer made out of hay or straw that someone spiked with some vodka... literally. The only reason I think it says farmhouse ale is because it tastes like a cow brewed it. As a die-hard boulevard fan I am somewhat upset with this brew, especially at 11.99 a 4 PACK kind of feeling ripped off.. I'm surprised boulevard even releases this, and even more surprised with it's high ratings here?? Maybe this beer just wasn't for me but I couldn't find one quality about the beer I liked except for the label!.. If you like to spike your beers with hay and vodka this beers for you!!!

02-08-2014 21:30:10 | More by Warmonster
K9AleingPiss

Oklahoma

2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

Appearance- very nice,great white lacing,head white foamy and hangs around most the duration. Color was a clean haze of yellow/orange. THE smell is just not good. Overwhelmed with a grassy "farmhouse" odor,and someone using a lemon fresh deoderizer to cover up the bitterness. THE tast is what I would imagine furniture polish tasting like, (*&($& pledge). The ABV may be too much, I dont know....but sip was hard to finish. Im truly sorry because Im a huge fan of Boulevard...wont willingly grab this again.

12-26-2011 02:06:22 | More by K9AleingPiss
halfgermanhalfirish

Oklahoma

2.83/5  rDev -31.8%

Appearance- I poured a bommer into a snifter and the result was a hazy blond colors with a thick white 2 finger head that looks like it will hang around to the end. The body looks a lot like a german heff with a little more carbonation. No complaints. Very nice looking beer.

Smell- The citrus came through first followed by flowers and the pepper. There is a lot going on here with the nose. The smells that come through is pretty and intense but It does not really smell like beer to me.

Taste- The taste is even more intese that the smell. Strong citrus up front followed by a peppery bite and for me it was pretty boozy on the back. As the beer warmed and I drank more I was getting more and more of that hot alcohal tast that kind of made it hard to drink for me. The beer is complex but lacks balace in my opinion. There is nothing in the flavor profile that really tells me its beer.

Mouthfeel- medium body with more carobonation that expected.

Overall-I was not real impressed with the taste and have no real desire to drink this beer again. The main problem I had with this beer was it was more like drinking champagne or sparkeling white wine than beer. I dont really like wine which stands to reason why I did not like this beer. It looks like my opinion is in the minority so by all means try it out for yourself. If you like champagne or fruity wines this may be the beer for you.

09-20-2012 23:15:38 | More by halfgermanhalfirish
ranger7

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Bought in a pick 6 from Central Market.
Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a goblet.
(Review from notes)
I've been wanting to try some good saisons. Really looking forward to this.

A - Gold, foggy, and lots of carbonation. Fluffy thick head that's sticky and long-lasting.

S - Citrus. Spices. Clove.

T - Medium-to-somewhat strong hops. Really hoping for more citrus.

M - Watery and thin, fairly clean aftertaste. Makes me thirsty.

Summary - More of a pale ale. Unbalanced. Not much flavor other than hops. I'm glad I went for the 12 oz bottle, not the bomber. I'm really disappointed. Meh.

09-20-2013 01:47:06 | More by ranger7
harrymel

Washington

2.98/5  rDev -28.2%

Best by 25NOV12

Pours clear golden with a persistent 2-3 fingers of loose, white foam. Leaves gobs of lace. Smells like a classic Saison, sweet grain with clay, malts, plenty of yeast character, a bit of lemon and hay. Middle of the road nose. Tastes like it's got some band aids in it, a good light malt backbone with some seltzer notes, a good amount of early bitterness, some metallic hints and a little vinous overtures. Medium bodied with tight, sharp and excessive carb. A thick, wet finish. Not a bad beer, but nothing I'm inclined to appraise or seek out. A great intro to the middle of the road for an interested party.

11-26-2012 05:18:51 | More by harrymel
lm0406910

3.03/5  rDev -27%

A – A bright gold color with a haze that was constant throughout the beer, a nice 1” head of foam was there after the pour, the reduced to a always present thin layer.

A – Lots of grapefruit and banana with some clove saying around. A touch of bready maltiness is present. Very little of the hop aroma, but I can pick up a little grassiness.

T- Banana is very present, somewhat overwhelming, with more clove on top of it. A taste of fresh sourdough lingers in the finish. The alcohol is very present.

M – Medium bodied beer, with a touch of chewiness. Nice amount of carbonation to help wash you tongue.

F-A balanced and drinkable beer, but watch yourself with the alcohol, the 8.0% will sneak up on you

06-30-2011 14:43:41 | More by lm0406910
Nachojon

3.03/5  rDev -27%

A- Bright hazy golden yellow. Pours 2 fingers white head, dissipates quickly. Nice lacing throughout. Nice looking saison.

S- Some hay, a little sweet and just a bit of sour. Not an extremely fragrant beer but this isn't the most fragrant of styles.

T- Saisons are not my favorite style of beer. I want more complexity. This is a pleasant drinker but I usually don't reach for this style for this reason. Nice fresh hay notes with some sweet apple and a slightly sour finish. Barnyard start, sweet aftertaste.

M- Crisp, doesn't linger. Highly carbonated beer leads to shorter swigs.

O- I am not very experienced in this style but the Saisons I have had have always seemed to sugary, headache inducing to me. Not a bad tasting beer.

11-20-2011 07:55:29 | More by Nachojon
RandomExile

Maryland

20oz / Pint Glass / Victoria Gastro Pub, Columbia, MD

A: translucent yellow/orange; little head; no lacing
S: grapefruit, musk
T: bitter, grapefruit citrus-y, spiced (clove?); a "farmhouse ale" which qualifies as an IPA
M: light-medium-bodied
O: A potent not-quite-IPA, it definitely has that farmyard musky/musty funk, crossed with a marzen

11-26-2013 03:30:37 | More by RandomExile
TheRealDBCooper

Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Likes:

Looks - Nice color and head. Looks good in a glass.

Meh:

Taste and smell were too sweet for my liking. In fact I found the whole thing very one dimensional. Based on other reviews maybe I got a bad bottle. I wouldn't mind trying it again.

Overall I could spend a night drinking this, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick it up.

08-13-2010 02:33:57 | More by TheRealDBCooper
birchstick

3.1/5  rDev -25.3%

A - pours a pale straw yellow with a small, creamy head

S - smells of citrusy lemons and a little bit of sweet straw. Very weak nose

T - taste followed the nose somewhat - grainy and malts give way to some yeast and sweet straw and citrus flavors. Ends a with some grassy bitterness.

M - light to medium body that is very creamy.

D - this is a pretty decent saison. I was hoping it would be a little less subtle in the nose and on the palate, but it was still pretty decent nonetheless. Would I get it again, sure. Is it something I would seek out, probably not. I'll go for Saison Brett if I am buying a Boulevard Saison.

12-20-2010 21:08:20 | More by birchstick
VeganBrewz

Maryland

3.1/5  rDev -25.3%

Picked up a bottle of Tank 7 from Boulevard as part of a mixed 6-pack the other day after seeing it mentioned on barnivore.com. I'm still new to the art and science of tasting beers, and I'd never had a Saison-style brew so I figured I'd give it a shot. Glassware was a nice, sparklin' clean Pilsner glass, since it was all I had available at the moment.

Appearance: Popped the top and poured a nice hazy straw with two fingers worth of sturdy, pure white head. Was interested to see that for a few minutes after pouring, the last 1/2" or so at the bottom of the glass was free of the haziness in the rest of the beer, but as I worked my way through it, it became hazy throughout. Might have been all the swirling in between sips to see what else I could pick up on the nose. Noticed what looked to be a bit of particulate (yeast?) suspended in the brew as well.

Smell: Big grapefruit aroma, with a little bit of a pineapple-y sweetness following up, then spiciness and floral notes from the hops on the back end. I really like how this stuff smells - I think I spent as much time with my nose in the glass as I did actually drinking it.

Taste: Grapefruit, noticeable but not over-the-top sweetness then some decent hoppy bitterness and spice. Once or twice I got a bit of a rubbing alcohol aroma on the exhale after swallowing a sip. Light, effervescent carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Decent. A tad on the thin side, with a sort of foamy sensation,I suppose from the carbonation. Super, super dry. Leaves a slight sour taste in the back of the mouth for a few seconds after swallowing.

Overall: Definetly an interesting and seemingly pretty accurate introduction to the style - I'm not sure I'd buy a sixer of it right away, but then again I'm usually a fan of darker beers, so I certainly won't write it off. A very drinkable brew!

09-04-2012 07:39:30 | More by VeganBrewz
marcobrau

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours yellow, with more than enough carbonation. The egg shell white head rises rapidly when this beer is poured into a five-ounce straight-sided tasting glass. I poured this a little too cold, so I let it sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes. As the foam calms down there is quite a bit of lace left behind on the sides of the glass. This beer is remarkably clear for a farmhouse ale, but Boulevard is a big enough brewery that it can afford to tightly filter its beer. The nose is rather complex, mostly fruity with underlying notes of cooked corn that I could do without. Tank 7 is a tasty enough ale; its juicy fruit flavors up front are appealing enough but the finish is an excessively bitter, hot, boozy mess of an affair which causes me to lose interest in that next sip -- something that is contrary to my expectations of a farmhouse ale -- and probably why I won't revisit this beer.

05-08-2011 23:47:20 | More by marcobrau
dvmin98

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

I have to admit, I like saisons to an extent. They aren't my go to beer, but a buddy came over and brought some along.

Of all the saisons I've had, this is close to the strongest. I wasn't ready for it either, but after the second swig, I was good to go.

The nose was very floral and nice and I was excited to give it a try.

The upfront taste was mild, but the backside sticks around for a while and you continue to taste the alcohol for 30 seconds plus. Not exactly my ideal farmhouse.

Decent, one finger head that hung around for a bit.

Mouthfeel was initially good, then a bit harsh the back half

Overall decent. Prefer other saisons for sure.

10-15-2012 21:38:32 | More by dvmin98
ubenumber2

Arkansas

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

On tap at local bar , 3 dollar pint day so thought I Would have a go

Very yellow colored beer , hazy with small head a little lacing

Smell is very sweet and spicy , not a lot of balance in the aroma , but not bad

Nice mouth full when you take a drink , goes down smooth and silky

Taste is super sweet , the yeast and the spice are there but the super sweet , almost candy type sweetness is way too much for me

Overall I wouldnt try this beer again , it was way to sweet and candy tasting which are not appealing to me

02-23-2013 02:07:45 | More by ubenumber2
aknight

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a golden straw yellow with a frothy white head. Has a sweet malty smell. The taste is on the sweet side. There is a large taste of honey covered green apples. Not as complex as I expect or want a saison to be, mostly just sweet, but still pleasant. Carbonation is pleasant and just right. I wouldn't reach for ths beer as a preferred saison but if I was at a bar that was serving it and nothing else caught my eye I wouldn't be unhappy with it.

11-09-2011 00:37:18 | More by aknight
Beaver13

3.28/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, best by 5/16/12. Pours golden with a bunch of floaties and a big rocky white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet wheaty malts and some fruit and honey with a little funky yeast and some soapy floral notes.

The flavor is sweet wheaty malts and earthy yeast with a dry bitterness (big for a saison) in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with spritzy carbonation.

Overall, an OK saison. It doesn't seem well balanced to me.

08-22-2012 22:35:13 | More by Beaver13
csiewert

Oregon

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

(SEE UPDATE BELOW) One of my favorite beers. Pours a nice bright golden color with a thick foamy head. Somewhat hazy when you get to the bottom of the bottle/keg, which is when I think it tastes the best. Strong hop notes in both smell and taste as well as banana. Finishes smooth and leaves you refreshed.

UPDATE... Boulevard has since begun mass producing tank 7 and removed it from it's signature fermentation tank (obviously tank #7) that gave it its unique taste... The beer has greatly cheapened and the taste has dominated greatly. I was very disappointed when I discovered this. If you can still get your hands on a large smokestack bottle version of the beer I would still give it praise, but otherwise stay away.

12-08-2010 22:15:29 | More by csiewert
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

Corked & caged 750 mL. Best by 11-2011, purchased from a fridge at Happy Harry's North in Grand Forks, ND. Poured into a 250 mL tulip.

A: Straw yellow body, crystal clear and a nice white head (half the glass on a stiff pour) descends very slowly to a nice white cap and leaves very nice lacing along the way. Nearer the bottom half of the bottle, there was protein / yeast particulate in the pour.
S: Cracked black pepper and barnyard aromas. Dominated by the spices.
T: Initially a floral hit followed by a dry finish. Alcoholic heat comes quickly through. Light underlying mold-like funky taste, in a good way. The heat from the alcohol though is too much for me and is impairing my ability to get some more of the yeast's complexity although I did get out some definite pear in the body later.
M: Strong carbonation and finishes dry and hot.
O: Not sure what to make of this one. I know it is 8%, but it drinks all 8% or more here. Haven't had enough strong saisons to really know their character here, but it just isn't my bag.

08-10-2011 22:16:40 | More by kjyost
Infiniteingest

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Generally: At yet another bar which I used to tend, we sold this and I would periodically sneak one. In this particular venue, having become accustomed to drinking 'gansett for my shifty, I always found this beer to be a delicious treat. Sitting down to it now, I'm slightly less enamored, but not disappointed.

The Pour: Bright golden pour with a weak, though lingering head. Slightly hazy, consistent with the Saison stlyle.

Face in the glass: Belgian yeast, as it is a Belgian style ale. I'd like to know exactly what they used, not because I'm getting anything dynamic or new but because this is precisely the floral yeast nose that I think of when I think Belgian. Brett for sure. I need to learn more about yeast. Apple blossoms, clove, with a clean biscuity finish.

Temperature: Meant to be enjoyed in the summertime, historically, and in the absence of refrigeration, historically, tributes to the style need, I think, to be ok at roughly room temperature. 52 degrees to start, slowly warming, and all is well in Brussels.

With Regard to Taste: This is a very well made, though not stunning, tribute to the style. The active carbonation, hop bitterness, and sweet/floral yeast notes work together well to deliver a clean and crisp Saison style ale. A medley of bitter orange, mild spice, and cucumber.

Epitoma: A very nice beer. I am very fond of Saisons, but they never impress me THAT much when I'm really paying attention. Here, I feel like the yeast is a little too present, and the hops and whatever malt there is get drowned out. I think Boulevard was going for a delicate balance, and that they just missed the mark. All of that aside, it is eminently drinkable--totally unoffensive--and will remain a go-to beer for me when I see it on beer lists.

Note: I think it would pair beautifully with Alpine Cheeses, notably Pepper Racelette.

Serving type: Bottle 12 oz

10-07-2013 23:00:49 | More by Infiniteingest
blakelive784

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

1 pt 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a murky golden orange color with a tall, rocky, off white head. The head is surprisingly dense, and retention is very good, especially given the ABV. Appealing.

S - Much more assertively hopped than I expected. It's not unwelcome, just not usual for the style. Grassy grapefruit hops, orange, spicy phenols, and yeast all come through. The yeast begins to shine as it warms. Complex.

T - Opens like a traditional saison, though the bitterness takes over midway. The yeast is subtle, more so than I like. Most of the notes present on the nose are there, though I think they're overpowered by the aggressive hopping. It's imbalanced as the delicate yeast flavors can't stand up to the IBU's. The alcohol comes through on the finish, and not in a good way.

M - Light bodied, highly carbonated, and dry on the finish.

D - I'm a bit disappointed by this one, and I know the brewery is capable of more. Not traditional for the style by any means (which is not a bad thing), though may not be for you if that's what you're looking for.

03-07-2012 20:55:32 | More by blakelive784
Cubieblu

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

This is my first time trying a saison and I have no idea what to expect.
A – Light yellow with a big puffy head that dissipates to a slight fizz on the top of the beer. Quite a bit of particles floating in the beer. Looks beautiful!
A – At first smell I smelt lemon zest, with a hint of maybe tangerine. Also smelled a lot of spices later learned it was likely peppercorns. As the beer wormed the peppercorns really became more pronounced.
T – The first taste was too much, wow, there is a lot going on in my mouth right now. Okay, my mouth has adjusted and I get a malt sweetness up front. In the middle of the mouth the hoppy aspects come into play. The backend it taken over by a peppery lemon finish.
MF– Light bodied that leaved the mouth salivating. Quite a bit of carbonation that leaves your tongue tingling.
D – This is a different sort of beer for me. Not sure I really like the style or not. It is drinkable but I am not a fan of the pepper taste in my beer. Will need to try other beers in this style but jury is out for my appreciation of saisons.

07-08-2013 12:57:56 | More by Cubieblu
Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.