Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Tank 7 Farmhouse AleTank 7 Farmhouse Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Most breweries have at least one piece of equipment that’s just a bit persnickity. Here at Boulevard we have fermenter number seven, the black sheep of our cellar family. Ironically, when our brewers were experimenting with variations on a traditional Belgian-style farmhouse ale, the perfect combination of elements came together in that very vessel. You could call it fate, but they called it Tank 7, and so it is. Beginning with a big surge of fruity aromatics and grapefruit-hoppy notes, the flavor of this complex, straw-colored ale tapers off to a peppery, dry finish.

(Beer added by: grumpy on 06-19-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Alström Bros

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

A - pours a hazy straw color with a ridiculous 4 finger head, white in color. Fantastic lacing, decent retention.

S - Some light lemony caramel sweetness with a decent amount of grain, stand farmhouse aroma but a little extra yeast and lemon.

T - light sweetness, grainy lemon flavor. Very mild hops, bubblegum yeasty qualities. Mild alcohol presence and a wee bit of almost tart funk, very minimal.

M - lighter bodied, well carbonated and superbly drinkable.

O - 8.5% is well hidden, great flavorful saison

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

a: Bright shining straw color; at cellar temp it poured with a massive, rocky, super sticky head.

s: Some fruity phenols, cloves, and an odd citrus note. A little yeasty funk as well.

t: Fruity phenols up front and then it gets kind of sugary. Yeasty cloves and American hops kind of clash at the finish.

m: Light and airy, doesn't feel like it has the elevated abv that it does.

o: Pretty good but it won't crack my regular domestic saison rotation.

3.33/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Generally: At yet another bar which I used to tend, we sold this and I would periodically sneak one. In this particular venue, having become accustomed to drinking 'gansett for my shifty, I always found this beer to be a delicious treat. Sitting down to it now, I'm slightly less enamored, but not disappointed.

The Pour: Bright golden pour with a weak, though lingering head. Slightly hazy, consistent with the Saison stlyle.

Face in the glass: Belgian yeast, as it is a Belgian style ale. I'd like to know exactly what they used, not because I'm getting anything dynamic or new but because this is precisely the floral yeast nose that I think of when I think Belgian. Brett for sure. I need to learn more about yeast. Apple blossoms, clove, with a clean biscuity finish.

Temperature: Meant to be enjoyed in the summertime, historically, and in the absence of refrigeration, historically, tributes to the style need, I think, to be ok at roughly room temperature. 52 degrees to start, slowly warming, and all is well in Brussels.

With Regard to Taste: This is a very well made, though not stunning, tribute to the style. The active carbonation, hop bitterness, and sweet/floral yeast notes work together well to deliver a clean and crisp Saison style ale. A medley of bitter orange, mild spice, and cucumber.

Epitoma: A very nice beer. I am very fond of Saisons, but they never impress me THAT much when I'm really paying attention. Here, I feel like the yeast is a little too present, and the hops and whatever malt there is get drowned out. I think Boulevard was going for a delicate balance, and that they just missed the mark. All of that aside, it is eminently drinkable--totally unoffensive--and will remain a go-to beer for me when I see it on beer lists.

Note: I think it would pair beautifully with Alpine Cheeses, notably Pepper Racelette.

Serving type: Bottle 12 oz

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.