2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Tank 7 Farmhouse AleTank 7 Farmhouse Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Most breweries have at least one piece of equipment that’s just a bit persnickity. Here at Boulevard we have fermenter number seven, the black sheep of our cellar family. Ironically, when our brewers were experimenting with variations on a traditional Belgian-style farmhouse ale, the perfect combination of elements came together in that very vessel. You could call it fate, but they called it Tank 7, and so it is. Beginning with a big surge of fruity aromatics and grapefruit-hoppy notes, the flavor of this complex, straw-colored ale tapers off to a peppery, dry finish.

(Beer added by: grumpy on 06-19-2009)
View: Beers (44) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,593 | Reviews: 716 | Show All Ratings:
Infiniteingest

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Generally: At yet another bar which I used to tend, we sold this and I would periodically sneak one. In this particular venue, having become accustomed to drinking 'gansett for my shifty, I always found this beer to be a delicious treat. Sitting down to it now, I'm slightly less enamored, but not disappointed.

The Pour: Bright golden pour with a weak, though lingering head. Slightly hazy, consistent with the Saison stlyle.

Face in the glass: Belgian yeast, as it is a Belgian style ale. I'd like to know exactly what they used, not because I'm getting anything dynamic or new but because this is precisely the floral yeast nose that I think of when I think Belgian. Brett for sure. I need to learn more about yeast. Apple blossoms, clove, with a clean biscuity finish.

Temperature: Meant to be enjoyed in the summertime, historically, and in the absence of refrigeration, historically, tributes to the style need, I think, to be ok at roughly room temperature. 52 degrees to start, slowly warming, and all is well in Brussels.

With Regard to Taste: This is a very well made, though not stunning, tribute to the style. The active carbonation, hop bitterness, and sweet/floral yeast notes work together well to deliver a clean and crisp Saison style ale. A medley of bitter orange, mild spice, and cucumber.

Epitoma: A very nice beer. I am very fond of Saisons, but they never impress me THAT much when I'm really paying attention. Here, I feel like the yeast is a little too present, and the hops and whatever malt there is get drowned out. I think Boulevard was going for a delicate balance, and that they just missed the mark. All of that aside, it is eminently drinkable--totally unoffensive--and will remain a go-to beer for me when I see it on beer lists.

Note: I think it would pair beautifully with Alpine Cheeses, notably Pepper Racelette.

Serving type: Bottle 12 oz

10-07-2013 23:00:49 | More by Infiniteingest
KajII

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

[Suggested Glassware: Tulip Glass]

The pour was a cloudy straw yellow with an average (1-2 finger) white pillowy head that diminished slowly, down to a medium cap of residue which lasted throughout and had excellent sheeting of lacing.

The aroma was of a light grain malt, floral and grassy hops and a funky barnyard Belgian yeast along with notes of banana, citrus (grapefruit), a hint of a peppery spice and a mild tartness.

The taste was mildly sweet with a smooth hoppiness which was present throughout, with the finish being a bit fruity and rather yeasty with a peppery citrus ending. The flavor long in duration following the swallow, with a slightly bitter citrus taste left behind.

Mouthfeel was just past light in body and dry in texture with a carbonation that was a bit beyond medium in intensity.

Overall this was a delicious tasting Farmhouse Ale, with a superb fruity hoppiness that just made me want another...

10-01-2013 22:09:14 | More by KajII
Beirbelly1989

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

All I have to say about this beer is WOW.

This beer is amazing. The look is an orange-yellow blend. There are small amounts of lacing, and a head that is about a finger thick and lasts a good bit. Hints of all sorts of fruit! Pineapple, orange, mango, passionfruit - loads of different kinds of intricate fruity smells. While the smell would indicate a sweetness of unbearable taste, the flavor is actually much more subdued. There is a yeasty feeling on the tongue and a small hop & alcohol bite at the end to compliment the subtle sweet tones. The fruitiness of the smell never hit me like I expected.

All in all, I would have to say that if you are a farmhouse ale fan, passing up this beer would be a BIG mistake. MUST TRY.

09-25-2013 07:40:01 | More by Beirbelly1989
MarioM

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle poured into snifter

A: Bright yellow with a very white head composed of small bubbles. Great lacing and good head retention. Carbonation is high and adding to the foamy head as it sits with rising bubbles created from the bottom of the glass.

S: Smooth and light citrus with a good spice character on the nose. Phenols are there but not as much as others of this style.

T: Smooth and balanced but definitely spice forward, don't know if spices were added or its all yeast character but still spivey and tasty.

M: Alcohol is a bit warming but makes sense at 8.5 % abv which is high for the style but still drinkable. Finish is warming yet dry and spicy.

O: Not bad but definitely would choose other more traditional Saisons. Farmhouse ales are so broad that two excellent beers can be complete opposites and although this doesn't do mutch for me it's still a great beer and worth the try. I will definitely keep buying Boulevard.

09-23-2013 00:45:57 | More by MarioM
ranger7

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Bought in a pick 6 from Central Market.
Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a goblet.
(Review from notes)
I've been wanting to try some good saisons. Really looking forward to this.

A - Gold, foggy, and lots of carbonation. Fluffy thick head that's sticky and long-lasting.

S - Citrus. Spices. Clove.

T - Medium-to-somewhat strong hops. Really hoping for more citrus.

M - Watery and thin, fairly clean aftertaste. Makes me thirsty.

Summary - More of a pale ale. Unbalanced. Not much flavor other than hops. I'm glad I went for the 12 oz bottle, not the bomber. I'm really disappointed. Meh.

09-20-2013 01:47:06 | More by ranger7
Beer-A-Lot

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a pretty good Saison, with lots of citrusy flavors. A bit more substantial than most in this style, due to higher abv, but it still drinks well. It does have a pretty fair amount of carbonation, lots of bubbles, but gets better and easier to drink as it warms in the glass. Still a tasty brew, and a beer you should try if you like Saisons.

09-16-2013 00:45:43 | More by Beer-A-Lot
DenverHopHead

Colorado

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.
Appearance - gorgeous, cloudy apple cider-esque beer, with noticeable unfiltered sediment; thick, soapy white head. Lacing is decent.
Smell - sweet lemon, mixed with additional citrus fruit, smells refreshing!
Taste - very tasty Belgian style ale; sweet citrus fruit with some earthy yeast tones!
Feel - nice bitterness, not too dry or sweet. The 8.5% ABV is hidden beautifully!
Overall - excellent easy drinking high ABV brew; a bit on the pricey side, but really good!

09-14-2013 17:40:00 | More by DenverHopHead
utopiajane

3.39/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This came to me from a mail order a few months past it's prime. Best by date of 6/13, batch number 752251.

Pours almost clear just a slight haze and gold. Straw yellow with a fat creamy head of white foam that fell lazily and left a rocky cap and gobs of lace clinging to the glass. I expected to see a stream of effervescence and I saw only a few stray bubbles ambling up to the top.

Nose is faint. Some muddled fruits and some chalky dryness. If I really dive into the glass I can make out some peach,apple skins and pear. Grass and a little bit herbal. Not really any spice on the nose except for a tiny bit of pepper that is so faint. Mellow and very tame. Bit of mineral quality on the nose.

Taste is subdued and soft. Very smooth and there's a touch of alcohol on the palate to warm on the way down. The fruits have lost their tartness and they remain muddy on the palate. It is chalky and dry, there's only a bit of flat pepper. While the mouthfeel is creamy it's a little hot from the alcohol and a little heavier than if the carbonation had been more sparkling. There's a bit of lemon on the palate, like lemon zest. It's not crisp.

I was a little disappointed but I realize that it is past it's prime. Wonder what it would have been like fresh?

09-09-2013 13:48:20 | More by utopiajane
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter, golden colored with a large white head that lingers leaving good lacing, cloudy

S: citrus, lemon, large yeast nose, bready, slightly sour

T: lemon, yeast, fresh citrus fruit, bread, ginger, excellent

M: light and fresh, high carbonation, alcohol well hidden

O: light and fresh saison, good flavors

09-08-2013 23:50:39 | More by M_C_Hampton
JimKal

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Tulip.

A: Hazy gold with a nice two finger white head. Dissipates slowly leaving some nice lacing.

S: Nice belgian yeast aroma. for me it was quite earthy.

T: Wow! I'd been wanting to try this but have hd other saisons that didn't appeal to me. This was love at first sip with multiple taste notes. The taste is intense enought that I wouldn't drink many of these in a row but then at 8.5 ABV I probably couldn't drink too many in a row.

M: Oh so smooth. It felt wonderful in the mouth.

O: I will be repeating this. This first one was one that my son gave me to try. I will be buying more.

09-08-2013 21:49:33 | More by JimKal
dbell23

Tennessee

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. Golden in color with a nice big fluffy head that subsided fairly quickly but never completely disappears. Slightly hazy with a kind of unfiltered look. Very good lacing. Nice looking saison.

Smell is somewhat subdued but still good. Fruity, yeasty, chalky sweetness, with maybe a lemony feel to it. Smells like a farmhouse ale but, as I said, somewhat understated.

Taste is great. Crisp fruity Belgian sweetness to start with a citrus/lemon slight hop finish. Very refreshing. No flavor seems to dominate. It's just really good like a saison should be. This beer reminds me of Saison DuPont with more alcohol.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Just the right amount of carbonation but a very smooth finish. It's smooth from the start and just gets better as you finish the serving. Perfect for this style.

Overall a very good saison. I generally like this style and this one is quite nice. I will definitely buy again. If you like farmhouse ales this one is a must try.

08-29-2013 22:11:25 | More by dbell23
BeerImmediately

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Found a 750 while on bidness in the ATL. Poured into a cool new Duvel tulip.

Pours with a very large, and somewhat creamy looking off-white head. Some lacing. Cloudy, pale yellow body.

Aromas are are rich and sweet for the style. Lots of tree fruit - esp oranges, pineapple, lemon. Sweetness is big and inviting. Yeast comes thru strong as well, with just a hint of alcohol heat.

Wow, creamy smooth on the palate - makes you want to chug this one, so maybe it's too smooth for the style :-) Flavors bring the sweet characters from the aroma, leading with lemonade, orange peel, some bitterness. Yeast imparts a light spice (cardamom to cinnamon) which comes through as a cleansing agent. Alcohol is barely noticeable...very well hidden.

This is a damn good beer, but I lean toward favoring the sweeter side of the spectrum.

08-28-2013 02:33:17 | More by BeerImmediately
2013beer101

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

The smell/taste review by nsheehan below sums it up nicely but here is my review. Initially based on the smell I lost a lot of excitment for this beer. The taste then helped recover the experience. If I were to comparte this to another beer it would be the Left Hand St. Vrain Trippel, although in my mind it would be the higher end version. Definitely worth a try, I would probably have again, but glad I got the 12oz. version instead of the bomber. I hope this review helps you.

08-24-2013 00:06:47 | More by 2013beer101
rlee1390

Indiana

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A-Cloudy bright yellow, three finger light and fluffy head.

S-Lemon, yeast, clove, banana, grass and wheat.

T-Rather fruity. Clove, banana, grass. Yeast and wheat, spices.

M-Light, dry, crisp with nice carbonation.

O-Too much in the way of flavors that just didn't mesh well together.

08-21-2013 21:25:00 | More by rlee1390
BeerAficionadoMCMXC

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

A- Golden color with a bit of funkiness within. A little cloudy with fermentables.
S- Smells like a funky belgian. It has that spicy clove characteristic with a hint of piney hops.
T- The taste is certainly carbonated. It almost tastes like champagne. The finish is dry but the spiciness shows throughout the flavor. Not too much sour brett on this farmhouse.
M- The mouthfeel is bubbly. With its carbonation level it feels like drinking champagne. At 8.5% it almost is.
O-Certainly a high quality beer, but with all the funk on the appearance and the carbonation level, I see it more as wine than beer. Interesting pour.

08-19-2013 23:35:18 | More by BeerAficionadoMCMXC

12oz to Adelbert’s snifter
8.5% ABV
Farmhouse ale
Best by 10/12/13, bought late March 2013

A – Translucent yet hazy gold; has a little glow. Billowy off white head that decreases into a quite fine bubbled layer.

S – Wet grass and pine with citrus. I get an underlying strong orange smell with a lemon zest. I also get an underlying sweet bready smell (it is Belgian style after all) with some vanilla. These latest smells remind me of frozen cookie dough.

T – Taste follows smell closely. Wet grass and pine up front with orange coming after, then a lemon kick. Then the wet grass and pine subside to let some Belgian sweetness through. The pine and sweetness linger til the end.

M – Very carbonated and effervescent. I think too much. The carbonation is making it hard to taste the subtleties effectively. I just get tingled taste buds for half the sip. The body is a light-medium and it’s kept at a distance from the tongue by the carbonation level. The finish is not as dry as I’d think for the carbonation level. It’s a medium dryness.

Let it warm for 20 minutes
S – More citrusy and sweet, no wet grass, barely any pine. Can smell some alcohol.
T – Follows the new smell, but holds onto some wet grass and pine. Orange and bready sweetness are bigger as is vanilla by a little.
M – Not as carbonated now so I can taste it better.

D – It was good at first and then became much better as it warmed and the carbonation decreased. Not sure which one played a bigger role, I think less carbonation. It’s more Belgiany and tasteful now. Overall, it’s very good. I don’t like thinking that I have to knock it for overcarbonation but I have to call it how I taste it, and it was too effervescent to taste part of it til I let it sit.
4.5, 4, 4, 3, 3.75.

08-17-2013 01:44:49 | More by nsheehan
MickeyD

Kansas

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

poured into a clean tulip glass.

A: Light yellow straw with plenty of carbonation and about two fingers of head.

S: Bananas and fruit with some wheat malt.

T: Bananas and citrus.

M: A little thick because of the sweetness but still very refreshing

O: Very fruity, refreshing and delicious. This may be my new favorite summer brew.

08-16-2013 01:54:30 | More by MickeyD
JanetCDavis

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this beer as the first of a tasting on a 100+ degree day. Remarkably easy to enjoy while maintaining body and personality. Could have more bite on the mouthfeel, but overall a favorite. Fabulous with a 6 year old Manchego and dry aged salami. The grapefruit is refreshing.

08-10-2013 22:49:32 | More by JanetCDavis
macher0

Kentucky

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%

Batch # 712242. Poured into a goblet. Let open and set at room temperature for 20 minutes before tasting.

A: Light copper. Slightly cloudy. Huge frothy head that retreated to a substantial head. Frothy laces.

S: Moderately fragrant. Belgian yeast. Barn house funk. Wheat. A little floral and piney.

T: Taste follows nose and has strong flavors. Very yeasty and grainy. Floral and minor hop notes. A little banana/clove/coriander/orange peel. Boozy finish, which is surprising for only 8.0 abv.

M: Fairly smooth. Moderate to full bodied. High/fine carbonation.

O: This is a top-notched farmhouse/Belgian-style ale. Good amount of barn house funk. Lots of bright colors and flavors, a great beer for a sunny warm day. My major let down was the boozy lingering taste. It becomes more pronounced as the beer opens, so I prefer the 12 oz. bottles.

08-05-2013 20:25:42 | More by macher0
LiquidCucumber

4.31/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle dated best by 3/8/2014

Tank 7 pours with quite a bit of carbonation and head, but this may be due to an aggressive pour; I don't remember it being quite this lively the first couple of times around. The color of this brew is somewhere between golden and copper, with quite a bit of sediment throughout the liquid; again, probably because of an overly aggressive pour. The scent of this beer comes through strong in the humulus arena, but yeast also plays a starring role. The flavor is also lots and lots of citrusy hops along with strong notes of bubblegum that comes straight out of the Belgian IPA handbook. This beer is not playing around, strong flavors all around don't necessarily make a beer great, but these flavors are fantastic. I cannot wait to pop open my bottle of Saison-Brett, but I may be able to hold of for a few months to let it develop that funk I think I would really love in this brew.

08-03-2013 01:45:01 | More by LiquidCucumber
Hoptometrist

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Served from the bottle into a globed glass

A- Poured a very bright hazy golden color with big fluffy bright white head that left glass coating dense lace.

S- Very fresh and powerful aroma. Big lemon, bready malts, floral, grassy, sweet orange peel, and coriander. A very slight funk and tropical fruit in the aroma as well. This is so aromatic and fresh, I love it.

T- Big yeasty, doughy clove, bubblegum, lemon, tropical fruit, juicy orange, and orange peel notes. Very fresh tasting saison.

M- Very refreshing and dry, high carbonation, effervescent, and a little creamy. Pretty mouthfeel and drinkability for a saison.

O- This is a top notch saison. One of the best I have ever had. This beer has it all- perfect appearance and mouthfeel, huge complex aroma. big flavor profile, and very refreshing. Bravo Boulevard!

08-01-2013 02:33:59 | More by Hoptometrist
dbrauneis

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Pours a hazy medium yellow in color with moderate to significant amounts of visible carbonation along with some lemon yellow highlights. The beer has a four finger tall fluffy foamy off-white head that slowly reduces to a dense finger tall cap in the center with a half finger thick layer covering the remainder of the surface of the beer. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of spicy (peppery) yeast along with moderate notes of lemon citrus and some biscuit + pale malts. Light to moderate amounts of herbal and earthy hops as well.

T: Upfront there is a moderate to strong flavor of biscuit and pale malts that gives a slightly hay-like taste with light to moderate notes of lemon citrus. There are moderate flavors of spicy/peppery yeast along with some herbal + earthy hops which impart just a touch of bitterness.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Crisp with light to moderate amounts of dryness in the finish.

O: This is a very nice Saison and one that I would gladly drink over and over again. Wonderful flavors and very easy to drink + refreshing - the alcohol is well hidden. One of the best examples of the American take on a traditional saison.

07-28-2013 21:49:42 | More by dbrauneis
Brew_42

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Hazy yellow with a thin white head

Smells citrusy and floral

Tastes citrusy with some tropical fruit and spice. There is a slight bitterness throughout.

MF-Crisp and refreshing. Slight carbonation and very drinkable.

Overall- Great saison. Nice beer for year round drinking. I have seen this beer in stores for a while and I am glad I finally tried it.

07-27-2013 05:36:10 | More by Brew_42
thecheapies

4.11/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hazy, nearly cloudy. Pale golden straw color with light yellow/orange hues. Creamy head has solidity and good retention. Looks great in a goblet.

Super zesty with lots of peppery notes and citrus zing. White grapefruit, tangerine, and lemon notes. Spice notes include sage and light coriander. Bright, and not without some evaporating alcohol. Still, plus aromas.

Perky white grapefruit rind, white peppercorn, coriander, estery tangerine, pushy yeast spice, booze, sage leaf, and herbal hops. Still comes correct with springy brightness, but the booze note weights it down. There are some really nice tart citrus notes; notes uncharacteristic of most saisons, and for that, I commend the uniqueness. Honestly, Tank 7 is a truly delicious beer that I'm happy to have finally tried.

Mouthfeel wise, we're happy. Cooly clean body with substance, but not too much heft where the airiness of the carbonation doesn't get credit for transforning this beer into a lively drink.

Excellent stuff. Well done, Boulevard.

07-26-2013 14:49:46 | More by thecheapies
dwren89

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: golden yellow and cloudy, thin white head

Aroma: lemony, fresh, floral, biscuity malt

Taste: slight tartness with bitter finish, fresh, nimble, solidly malty, quite refreshing

Mouthfeel: thick but also thirst quenching, some definite body to the beer, medium carbonation, a little spritzy

Overall Impression: A thirst quenching and delightfully summery concoction that braces it's citrusy hop character and throws in some Belgian yeast aroma and flavor with a solid pale malt backbone. Easily drinkable and a wonderfully floral and fruity finish that has a somewhat spritzy quality to it.

4.1/5

07-22-2013 01:33:07 | More by dwren89
Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.