Seeyoulator Doppelbock - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Seeyoulator DoppelbockSeeyoulator Doppelbock

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Doppelbock |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Doppelbock was first brewed in Munich around 1700 by the monks of Saint Francis of Paula, to sustain them through the Lenten fast. They called their full-bodied brew “Salvator.” Today it is customary to pay homage to the good brothers by giving doppelbocks names ending in “-ator.” Our version bids a fond aufwiedersehen to tradition, charting a flight path into bold new territory. Medium amber in color, it offers a heady, estery banana aroma. Rich maltiness predominates, with cedar aging lending just a hint of spice to the finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-05-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Seeyoulator Doppelbock Alström Bros
2.33/5  rDev -40.7%

A=this was the hardest cork to open that I have ever had. Really pissed me off to start sipping this beer. The pop was quiet which lead me to believe this is another low carbonation Lost Abbey beer. The pour actually yeilded a large three finger rocky head with tiny bubbles and some decent lacing totally unexpected from the cork and pop. The color is a hazy amber pretty good looking I'm actually impressed.
S= very quiet in the smell area.... smells like beer I guess. There's a small malt coming through and a tiny amount of spice but really not much of anything. The smells was a lety down after the awesome appearance.
T= pretty good but nothing spectacular. Similar to the smell only less malt and more spicyness. Really smooth and delicious but not much is going on with it. Some alcohol comes through but very little.
M= pretty high carbonation sort of feels like a BMC.
D= definitally unimpressed with this beer. Nothing special going on. The more I think of it the more it tasted like a good malt liquor to me.

2.42/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Freetail pint glass. It poured a crystal clear mahogany color with a thin off-white head barely covering the top of the beer. Very nice color but not the best head for the style.

The aroma has a malty sweetness to it with some caramel and brown sugar flavors coming through. Some tart fruit, pear or grape flavors come through as well as just a bit of a woody, cedar flavor. Not bad but it seemed strange for the style, something just didn't seem right and the flavors didn't mix well.

The taste shows a lot of grape and pear tartness to it. It finishes very dry cedar, woody flavor that just doesn't help it at all. A pretty strong bitter flavor is present as well, especially after the finish. A bit of the malty and caramel flavor comes through in the background but it's not enough to save it. The dry, bitter, tart fruitiness it had just didn't work for me for the style.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side for the style and carbonation is moderate. Drinkability isn't good for me, I probably won't finish my glass. The dry, tart, woody and bitter flavor just didn't fit with this beer at all. I got almost no malty and caramel flavors that I love in Doppelbock's. Did not care for this one at all. I can't tell if something was wrong with this one or the cedar aging really just added all of those flavors I didn't like in it. Batch # was 2010-01.

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%

750ml bottle. Pours a murky tea-like amber with a pillowy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet woody malts (I actually smell some cedar) with some floral notes.

The flavor is very sweet caramel malts and molasses, wood notes with some noticeable plasticky alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with sharp carbonation.

Overall, too unbalanced on the sweet side for me. The cedar is interesting, but I get some other unique notes in the flavor that I can't quite identify, but am not digging.

2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

Don't have a chalise like the bottle suggests, so I'll use my big bowled Duvel tulip.

Poured a clean mahogany brown, thick and dense tan head floats on top gently. Swirls will produce sheets of lace.

Rich aroma of caramel malt. Quaff is surprisingly subtle, easy chocolate and doughy bread. Also, too much hop in the finish makes this closer to an American brown, not near enough sweet dopplebock goodness in this brew. Raspy and woody brew.

Disappointing, to say the least. The 750ml bottle was not cheap, ran about $12

2.95/5  rDev -24.9%

A-Orange/brown....nice creamy head..

S-A bit yeasty...some cedar notes...some dark fruits (plums, black cherries)..

T-Tastes more like a dark Belgian ale than a German doppelbock....really tastes nothing like a German Doppelbock..that's not to say it tastes bad....It has a nice dark Belgian dark fruitiness with the black cherries and plums....mild cedar woodiness....tastes ok just nothing like a doppel...I expected this to be much different.

M-Too carbonated for the style...carbonated like a Belgian style ale..fizzy....medium bodied...nothing sweet or sticky about this....

D-I'll never buy this again because it doesn't resemble a doppelbock in the slightest..for the style it is way off...as a beer it is OK but nothing more...not recommended..

Disclaimer: I have a hunch this beer might impress me a bit more on another day. I don't dislike it, but it just doesn't quite hit the Doppelbock spot. Update coming....?

App: Far too transluscent and pale for a doppelbock, very little head and lace upon pouring.

Ar: Minimal, with sweet malts, astringent cedar, faint over-ripe banana.

Tst: Underwhelming hints of brown sugar, woody, banana, dry cedar and moderate booze bite. Not at all bold.

Mthfl: Too thin, slightly astringent and prickly.

Drnk: No problem knocking it down - there's nothing disagreeable about it, but have to be in the mood for a doppelbock of this sort.

Nothing about this beer impresses me. Just seems middle of the road.

Cellar time in order?

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

Thanks to my father-in-law for picking this up. Served in a tulip.

Pours a medium brown for with a slight off who're head and some very light lacing. Those nose brings a touch of caramel plus some breadm. Very light fruits plus a bit of alcohol in tue background. The flavor is similar with some caramel and bready malt. There is a bit of alcohol but not much else. Mouthfel has a hot of body with low carbonation. Okay, though I would not seek this out again.

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured a amberish color with good carbonation and a light amberish head. Nose is faint. Spices, wheat,sugar and booze. Taste was sugar, dark fruit, wheat and clove and some cedar. I struggled to find those flavors. I felt this doppel was a mess. Mouthfeel had a CO2 feel and was just not that great and cedar on the end. Drinkability. Average Doppel at a bigger price. Pass.

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a beige head. Color is a copper brown.

Aroma: Toffee, caramel, biscuits, dried cherries, and raisins. This one is pretty much all malts.

Taste: Huge malt profile again. Tons of toffee and biscuit with some caramel. Bready. Dried cherries and fruits. Not a lot here to be honest.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry with hints of booze.

Overall, an alright beer, but the Germans do a better take on the style. All malts here. Average drinkability.

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Muddied auburn body. Thick and airy light beige head. Retention is quite good and lace is sufficient. Malt and cedar blend together on the nose to present a pleasant olfactory experience. The mouthfeel is too airy and a bit gaseous. Not what I'm looking for in a dopple. Flavor is average. Cedar and malt and molasses and alcohol combine somewhat awkwardly, but not horribly. This is really average and the worst of the Smokestacks that I've had.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

Clear, amber color, good head, looks nice. Cedar dominates the aroma along with alcohol and a hint of malt. The flavor has a woodiness followed by a hint of fruit but mostly malty grains. This was an interesting beer but I am quite sure I would pick something else if I were looking for a doppelbock specifically.

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Been waiting for this one to come out ever since I heard they were going to release a Dopplebock.

Pours a mildly hazy coppery brown, with a fluffy two finger head. Amazingly thick lace, and the foam takes forever to settle.

Smell; faintly "dusty" at first, and then the cedar really comes through. It's really hard to pick out any other aromas over the cedar. I may be tricking myself into it, but I think I smell some caramel malts, fruits and some alcohol.

Taste; really bready with a little sweet caramel. The cedar is present, but doesn't dominate the flavor like it does the aroma (at first). A little alcohol soaked fruits, and a splash of molasses, topped off with a little cocoa powder. Unfortunately, after a little warming, the cedar really starts to overpower everything else for me.

Mouthfeel/drinlability; the mouthfeel is medium bodied and very smooth in texture. Pretty much exactly what I would want in a dopplebock. The drinkabiliity is definitely affected by the cedar, which I didn't think worked all that well for this particular beer.

All things considered, this is a well made beer. I think underneath the cedar, there's a pretty good dopplebock hiding out. Overall, my least favorite of the Smokestacks.

3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours an almost-clear dark copper, thin light-khaki head that turns into a soapy, wispy smattering of suds on top. Surprised that this is a dopplebock - really light in color, and very poor head retention.

Nose is caramel, a bit fruity, hint of strawberry. You get a whispy floral hop presence, some alcohol.

Taste starts off with a balanced bock-like flavor - fruity, sweet, a bit bready, but with a nice, light, crisp hop bitterness that balances the malt. Big cedar comes through with a bit of a cool bite. Well balanced and decently pleasant, I suppose, but not at all what I was expecting or hoping for - a darker, richer, more traditional take.

Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, carbonation is kind of sickly - sharp but sparse and gets lost in the syrupy body. Creaminess and fullness are nowhere to be found.

Drinkability is decent. Balanced and moderately flavorful, but doesn't seem to have a character that matches the abv. Meh.

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance: A hazy, copper-orange body capped by about three fingers of off-white head that fade slowly and leave good lacing.

Aroma: Rich and earthy caramel malt with medium-high alcohol and dark fruit.

Flavor: Similar to the aroma; a toasty malt body with earthy and dark fruit notes. Some mild and slightly spicy hops keep everything decently balanced. There's subtle alcohol throughout, adding a bit of much-needed depth. A little thinner than the aroma led me to believe.

Mouthfeel: A medium-full body with smooth medium carbonation and a drying finish. Just a hint of warmth from the alcohol.

Drinkability: This drinks much more like a Bock than a big Doppelbock, so keep an eye out.

Verdict: Somewhat average and thin flavors keep this from being anything special. It's certainly not an unpleasant beer, but it's just not intense enough to really measure up to the Doppelbock standard.

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

Caged and corked 750ml bottle. First and only batch, bottle has been sitting in my cellar for a few months.

Pours a surprisingly light color, looks light Lipton Ice Tea to be honest. A fluffy white head is produced on the pour, it has decent retention and leaves decent enough lacing.

Nose is surprisingly light. It lacks substance and umph. I get notes of dark ftuirs such as figs, dates and raisins, even some bananay esters. A nice spicey woody character that I can only assume comes from the cedar aging is the highlight. Pretty plain for a Dopplebock, which isn't a shocking style to begin with.

The taste is more of the same. Extremely subtle and lacking whatever it is that would make this an above average beer. Big maltyness up front, with subtle woody hints and dark fruits. I'm having a hard time seeing this as a Dopplebock, maybe a wood aged dark Pilsner or Oktoberfest, but not a Dopplebock.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, probably more light. It is surprisingly smooth with an appropriate carbonation, which is about the highlight. Drinkability is ok, it just doesn't leave me wanting more. I struggled to finish the 750 ml myself.

Overall, a little disappointed to see this come out of Boulevard, whom I've become very fond of. I hope they don't brew this again. I assure you, their time could be better spend brewing more Imperial Stout or Saison-Brett, and that's a fact.

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

Picked this up a few weeks ago, and finally have a free night to enjoy it.

After a mildly aggressive pour, there's a big head, but it dies down, leaving a trail of where it's been, and a solid tan head atop the beer itself. Transparent copper and glistening - wonder if they squeezed pennies for the color here? Looks like a great beer to enjoy in a dark bar basement.

Well-balanced on the nose between caramel-smelling malts and floral hops.

Deep and heavy flavors, almost like a very light barleywine - dark fruits, tobacco, and caramel, with undertones of the alcohol - it's fairly well hidden, but noticable at the end.

Very lightly carbonated, the aforementioned flavors roll onto the tonque - light in the mouth, but down the throat is followed by a slight burn of alcohol that lingers for a bit.

Not my favorite style, and the tinge of the alcohol is a bit off-putting. That's enough to keep me from really enjoying it.

By far my least favorite of the Smokestack Series - disappointing, given how much I've enjoyed the others.

3.38/5  rDev -14%

A- Hazy amber red body with a large off-white head. The head eventually dies down to a small foamy covering, but sticks around for a bit.

A- Sweet malt aromas. Ripe fruit, light bananas. Sortof yeasty.

T- Sweet malt, light kick with slight alcohol taste as it warms. Strong yeast flavor. Ripe fruit taste is still there. I look for the cedar taste, but I have trouble tasting it.

M- Very smooth, while quite alcoholic it is not that harsh. Medium-full body.

D- Quite tasty, I finished a bottle with no desire to share. That said there are better Dopplebocks(stylistically). I did find this a bit less sweet than other dopplebocks I have had and I did enjoy that. It makes it easier to drink a whole bottle yourself(but do share!)

3.38/5  rDev -14%

Poured into a Pilsener glass.

A: Red tinged amber with great clarity for a bottle conditioned beer. A soapy and rocky cream cap has great retention and leaves a nice amount of lace. Vibrant carbonation completes the picture. A very solid look.

S: Toffee, caramel and red grapes provide sweetness. A pepper and wood spice, plus a musty yeastiness add balance. A light alcohol tingle rounds things out.

T: Starts out with a bittersweet toffee and caramel flavor. A pepper bitterness comes on quick. The cedar aging makes its presence felt in a big way with it's strong, spicy wood bite near the beer's end. That bite lingers though the finish where its' joined by a light alcohol warmth.

M: The body feels quite light for this style. The carbonation is fine, but the overall feeling is too thin for my tastes.

D: Perhaps a bit too woodsy, as the cedar really seems to overpower the sweeter flavors. The thin body also didn't work for me. It's still a nice beer, but in my opinion it doesn't stand up to the hallmarks of this style.

3.43/5  rDev -12.7%

Stumbling across a bottle of this one in a shop north of Denver, I purchased it only to experience a cedar aged beer. Poured a nice reddish-orange color with an off-white cap of foam. Aromas of cedar, peppery spice and dark fruits. On the palate, this one was slightly more than medium bodied, with flavors of cedar, pepper, spice, caramel and sweet, dark fruits.

3.43/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured a corked and caged 750ml into my Dogfish Head snifter. This beer pours a deep tarnished copper with a massive 3-inch head that leaves minimal lacing as the beer recedes out of the glass. The aroma comes off like a big Doppelbock. Major notes of toffee and caramel with dark fruits including fig and dates followed with over ripe bananas. There is a slight woody spiciness that comes through on the tail of the nose that has to be from the cedar used to age this beer. The flavor of this beer is overpoweringly cedar. The spiciness of the wood really overwhelms much of the essential Doppelbock. Dark toffee and prunes migrate to the front of the flavor palate. Toast and bruised bananas are there but again, it all really takes a backseat to the cedar aging. The body of this beer is a bit thin for my liking. I really wish it were a bit bigger in its consistency. Over all, I do think there is a good Doppelbock underneath the cedar but it really overpowers everything else about this beer and, at least for me, it's rather off putting. I can see people who enjoy the flavor of cedar smoked foods loving this beer but it's just not for me.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle via trade thanks to stephens101. These Boulevard bottles are really too big, and it's tough to get enough people to actually drink a few of them. I could down a 750ml of Saison-Brett easily, but this one, not so much.

Pours hazy amber with a decent sized off-white head that lasts.

Aroma is malty, fruity, and sweet. Maybe strawberry and cherry in there, and some banana, as the description suggests.

Flavor is also malty and sweet with caramel malt, banana, fruity esters, cherry, and red berries.

Medium-bodied, and not as smooth as I'd like for the style.

Drinkability is slightly above average. Overall, this is not quite as good as I would have liked, but decent. Will I see this one "lator?" Well, if they keep bottling it in the 750ml size, probably not.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

batch #2010-1 best by May 2011. corked and caged.

pours out of the 750 ml bottle a very dark garnet colour. huge frothy beige head stays and sticks leaving some nice lace. fruity aroma...currants, figs, plums, black cherries and some dark chocolate. cedar notes jump out right away...pleasant in an unexpected way. the woody notes linger and open up to a bunch of flavours not normally associated with a true to style doppelbock. yeast and cocoa, nougat, sour cherries, some lactic flavours come out of no where...i swear this has belgian hints that remind me of holiday/x-mas brews that i've tasted prior. doesn't drink like a lager. certainly has some boozy attributes that make the drinker feel all warm and fuzzy but their isn't much heat or spice from the ABV. dry finish. medium body for a doppel. mouthfeel is certainly smooth and the dryness asserts itself again...again not the lush and semi-cloying character of other doppels that i'm sampling this against. it has a nice drinkability and overall i find this tasty and interesting, but maybe not compared to others within the style.

this is a nice variation on a style that has limited variabilites when it comes to brewing up different angles on a straightforward bock. i'm sure i would have liked this a lot more in the dead of winter rather on a warm spring day. hard to score accurately.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

Interesting beer. Smells really good and has great appearance, but flavor an body are a tad shallow. Poured a large very light tan head with a load of lace. Aroma is malty, caramel, toffee. Flavor's about the same. Body is a bit thin too and ditto carbonation. Finish is a bit on the sweet malty side. Not bad, but not too great either.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer pours a cloudy dark amber color. The head is a solid inch in height, and recedes very slowly into nice lacing. This beer is definitely on the lighter end of the color spectrum for a doppelbock, but that doesn't bother me much. The aroma is mostly cedar. Everything else is almost lost among the wood. The cedar is nice, but I would like to take in some more of the nice maltiness that lies beneath. The taste is slightly less cedar like the, and the malt comes through a little more. However, it is still far from balanced. The mouthfeel is full bodied with lively carbonation (especially for a doppelbock), and a velvety texture. Overall, this is by far my least favorite of the smokestack series, but I think that speacks more of how good its predecessors than about how bad it is. While writing this review I really got to thinking about why I value balance in barrel/wood aged beers. I asked myself, "is it far to keep asking this beer to be more balanced?" I came to the conclusion that this questions certainly needs to be answered on a case-by-case basis, but it more cases balance equals complexity.

Seeyoulator Doppelbock from Boulevard Brewing Co.