Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Seeyoulator Doppelbock - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Seeyoulator DoppelbockSeeyoulator Doppelbock

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Doppelbock |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-05-2009

Doppelbock was first brewed in Munich around 1700 by the monks of Saint Francis of Paula, to sustain them through the Lenten fast. They called their full-bodied brew “Salvator.” Today it is customary to pay homage to the good brothers by giving doppelbocks names ending in “-ator.” Our version bids a fond aufwiedersehen to tradition, charting a flight path into bold new territory. Medium amber in color, it offers a heady, estery banana aroma. Rich maltiness predominates, with cedar aging lending just a hint of spice to the finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Seeyoulator Doppelbock Alström Bros
firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
3.26/5  rDev -16.6%

Clear, amber color, good head, looks nice. Cedar dominates the aroma along with alcohol and a hint of malt. The flavor has a woodiness followed by a hint of fruit but mostly malty grains. This was an interesting beer but I am quite sure I would pick something else if I were looking for a doppelbock specifically.

3.94/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from the bottle into a Boulevard Tulip.

After fighting through the cork like it was a Victorian era skirt I unveiled the succulent details hidden inside the Seeyoulator Dopplebock bottle from Boulevard's newest addition to the Smokestack Series. Seeyoulator pours excellently, almost picturesque, into the glass. I commented to my roommate that the pour would be something you see in a commercial, it was that good. He then joked that it wasn't triple-hopped brewed and we made several jokes that killed us a little on the inside. The head came to about a full hand size and it gently laced the glass as I continued to drink. Unlike those rough lacing beers, jeez I hate those... If you hold Seeyoulator up to the light it shines a beautiful reddish hue and in normal light it's a brownish color that's very reminiscent of any other dopplebock. The smell is actually one of the weakest categories of this beer. It's good and has a bit of bite, but it's too faint. I feel like I have to inhale from the back of my head to get a whiff of this beer, it's a little annoying. However that does not deter from the taste. The taste is like L.A. Confidential, brilliantly executed, well acted and moderately complex. I would say more but I love that analogy to much. If you live in K.C. and you like Boulevard or Dopplebock's, try this freaking beer! I really really mean it. If you live outside K.C. and can't get this and want to trade hit me up. Dopplebock's I find are a very easily accessible and drinkable beer, one of my favorite styles and Boulevards inclusion with the cedar barrels I find impressive.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

I bought this online from The Wine & Cheese Place. 750ml bottle, batch 1-2009 7/10

A big pop when I removed the cork, it pours a lightly hazed cherry cough drop red colour with a huge head of foam.(served near room temp) Slowly receding head with lots of nice lacing.

The smell is fruity with a pretty large presence of bananas, malty with some caramel and light notes of bread, and lightly spicy. A decently good nose.

The taste starts off sweet from caramel and some what bready, no actually, quite bready followed by a light toasted malt flavour, definite woody tones that grow stronger during the session and quite a bit of alcohol. It actually burns on the way down. It feels stronger given the abv and I had no idea it would be so when my nose spent time taking whiffs. A pretty good tasting Doppelbock that doesn't get to really shine because of the alcohol. JMHO.

Medium bodied with a lot of fizz on the tongue, it finishes on the bitter side. That might be from the cedar aging. ?
Head retention turned out to be poor after about 10 minutes into the session and the lacing also gave up.

Drinkability? A very slow drinker as per my comments above. Their Smokestack Series has been excellent, at least the ones I've tried, but this one might be outside my comfort zone, at least for the style. Try it see what you think.

Edit: Sample of batch 1 2010. 750ml. Nov 23, 2010.

Same colour but a bit more assertive re foam and lacing, smells fruity and bready. Not much difference between this and the batch from 2009.

It has some fruity notes of dark cherries, some bananas and cloves, some caramel malt sweetness, fairly large kick of alcohol. Pretty similar here as well to the 2009. Tasty, warming, maybe a tad more enjoyable this time around. Heck, for under US$10 a bottle, it's worth a try and maybe a repeat.
Score adjusted accordingly.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

No. 10 in the Boulevard Smokestack Series.

Pours a rich copper body with some yeast haze. The aroma is caramel, cedar, and banana. On the palate caramel malt comes first with hints of chocolate and estery banana notes. Spicy cedar provides balance as well as a long intriguing finish. To me, the challenge with Doppelbocks is avoiding the cloying sweetness that often comes with a malty, lightly hopped beer. This problem has been ingeniously avoided thanks to esters and cedar aging. Another great one from Boulevard.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Seeyoulator Doppelbock from Boulevard Brewing Co.