1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Harvest Dance - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Harvest DanceHarvest Dance

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Wheatwine |  9.50% ABV

John Barleycorn is memorialized in English folk tradition as the personification of the barley plant, sacrificed at harvest time and then reborn as beer or ale. Our Harvest Dance Wheat Wine is a celebration of John’s Midwestern cousin, wheat. Beginning with a large portion of wheat malt, we add an equally generous helping of Hallertau and Citra hops and age the ale on both French and American oak. The result is a big, warming burst of tropical fruit flavors, highlighted by subtle wine-like notes, and rounding slowly to a long, dry, oaky finish.

(Beer added by: bort11 on 10-30-2009)
View: Beers (44) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harvest Dance Alström Bros
Ratings: 583 | Reviews: 262 | Show All Ratings:
corby112

2.45/5  rDev -39.5%

Pours a clear dark copper color with golden orange edges and a massive 2.5 finger frothy off-white head that takes forever to settle into a lasting cap/ring. Chunks of soapy lacing left behind.

Earthy aroma with a floral/piny hop character along with sweet, leathery malt and booze in the nose. Perfume-like with a surprisingly strong resinous, oily hop character. I'm not picking up much wheat character just paler malts than would be found n a barleywine.

Medium bodied and slightly oxidized with tight carbonation up front and a prominent dry, earthy hop presence. Pretty bitter with lots of earthy pine and only faint citrus sweetness. Lots of heat and boozy sweetness with sweet malt notes underneath. Hints of caramel, toffee and dark fruit. Not as earthy, leathery as expected with a but more wheat character than the aroma suggests. Faint spice with some bready yeast and orange peel. The bitterness from the hops give this beer a bit of complexity but overall it's too boozy and a bit of a mess.

06-21-2011 07:38:14 | More by corby112
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

2.48/5  rDev -38.8%

From 750mL C&C bottle to snifter on 2/4/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, John --

A: A good pour = a huge head. Massive - over 3.5 fingers of the white goodness fill the glass. It's a clean 24k gold in hue.

S: Sharp, intense wheat and plenty of over-ripe banana. A bit too much for me.

T: This ain't much better. It's a pure, unadulterated wheat bomb. There's an epic ton of banana, clove and all the things I've come to hate about beers like this. Regardless, I know how to grade to style, and this is just overdone.

M: Very gueuze-like. Too bubbly and not enough heft. For a beer like this, and with the ABV it's packin', there needs to be more body and depth here.

O: Nope, no more for me, thanks. Boulevard's Harvest Dance is an out of balance and not overly drinkable foray in to the wheatwine category, one that produces signifiganly more misses then hits.

Sadly, this falls into the former.

02-18-2012 22:01:40 | More by Rhettroactive
mentor

2.85/5  rDev -29.6%

Best by date 1-2009-10/10. Pours a four finger head over a one finger liquid. Head is yellowed over a cloudy light-copper colored liquid. Smells clovey, hay, earthy, with a dash of sour and some ligh fruity esters (pear and banana). Marangue, woody, and earthy.

Tastes clovey with wheat. Bleech. Gotta go searching to fill out the flavors on this one. Wet malt clear beneath the phenols and is accompanied by strong fruity esters. Peach and some pear. Has a raspberry jam or strawberry jelly character to it.

Strong carbonation and md light body. IMO, not very drinkable.

01-24-2010 06:54:21 | More by mentor
bearcamp

Kansas

2.93/5  rDev -27.7%

This is my only second wheat wine style beer. The other was 75th streets wheat wine! So when I poured this I thought it would be darker and sweeter. Appearance is brighter than I expected. Almost copper color, amberish. I can see a bit of suspended yeast and it is a bit cloudy. I absolutely love the smell. I can definitely pick out the citra hops, as I am a regular drinker of SN Torpedo which is the only other beer I know that has this new hop. The taste is very Belgium blond to me. I can pick up the sweet wheat malt all over. Not as sweet as I would like. I think this beer is overcarbed to my liking. I like the beer, but it is not one I'll pick up very often.

11-12-2009 02:51:17 | More by bearcamp
BigMcLargeHuge

Arizona

2.95/5  rDev -27.2%

Courtesy of Oddefellowe. Pours deep gold with tall nearly explosive off white head. It smells a touch infected with bright notes of wheat, sharp yet not strong acidity, a mild level of banana and bubble gum. The taste is bright and punchy with thin wheat mixing with a bit of acidity and then moving into smooth somewhat sweet banana. If it is infected it wasn't much of a distraction.

05-03-2010 03:11:50 | More by BigMcLargeHuge
dlello2

3.18/5  rDev -21.5%

A - Light bronze. Some cloudiness. Good head. Good lacing.

S - Sweeter than we'd like. Tangerine fruitiness. Not much alcohol/hops.

T - No hops to balance out the sweetness. First taste is a bitter (alcohol) followed by a straight up wheaty beer taste. Lots of sweet vanilla. Good taste for a wheat beer but not what I was expecting after drinking other wheatwines. Somewhat 1 dimensional.

O - I can see why people would like this beer. IT really is the smell (while drinking) that makes this beer too sweet for me. Alcohol and hops are present, just well hidden. I'm not much of a fan of white wine either so maybe that's why I don't quite get it.

11-27-2011 18:06:20 | More by dlello2
mactrail

3.18/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A near gusher from the corked bottle. Finally settles down to a hazy amber in the Gulpener tulip with endlessly streaming bubbles. Distracting fizzy mouthfeel. Quite sticky with sugar. A whiff of Band Aids.

At first couple of sips I thought there was something bacterial going on, but it seems to be the massive carbonation and the wheaty esters. Fruity and grapey. It makes me think of alcoholic Thompson Seedless grapes with some Belgian yeast invited to the party. Sharp and aromatic with a hoppy burn, finally, in the back of the throat.

I would hope for a more refined sipping brew for a Wheat Wine, but this is certainly an experience. From the 750 ml bottle purchased at Special Brews in Lynnwood, Washington.

04-16-2014 06:31:12 | More by mactrail
brystmar

3.2/5  rDev -21%

Very active pour, tons of fizzy head, decent lace. Nose is pretty mild with wheat, booze, plenty of hops, and yeast. Spicy, but withdrawn.

Taste is spicy; hops meld with the wheat backbone but get clouded by the massive carbonation. Plenty of booze character. Medium-bodied but the excessive carbonation really kills any potential it might have.

12-22-2011 03:30:43 | More by brystmar
ArrogantB

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

750ml bottle $9. Nice orange color with a super-foamy head, I was actually surprised how much this one foamed up. The smell was kind of weird like a belgian style beer, strange and I wasn;t too impressed. The flavor had some tropical fruit just as the label noted but overall it was kind of boring, a little bit of vanilla and alcohol. This is not a beer I would revisit but I will always give the smokestack beers a whirl.

12-06-2009 21:47:46 | More by ArrogantB
Beaver13

3.28/5  rDev -19%

750ml bottle. After a big pop of the cork, it pours with a monstrous overflowing head after a normal pour. It's a hazy muddy golden with a huge white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is some yeasty funk, and wheaty rye like alcohol. As it warms (and the head recedes), I get some of the wood notes and some fruits and a tinge of sourness too.

The flavor is sweet wheaty malts, a little sugary fruit and a bit of a bitter finish that I didn't notice until it lingered on the tongue. The alcohol is well hidden. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied. Given the carbonation level on pouring, I'm surprised that the mouthfeel is pretty smooth with low carbonation noticeable.

Overall, this is a pretty mellow beer (surprising given the alcohol), and nothing stands out like a huge impy stout. It is a little far on the sweet side for me. The pouring gets to be a bit annoying too - each pour, I get about an ounce of beer and tons of head.

12-29-2009 08:18:53 | More by Beaver13
tigg924

3.28/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: golden-orange in color, hazy, 2 inch huge head, high carbonation

Smell: citrus rind, earth, alcohol

Taste: very citrusy--orange and lemons, pale malts, caramel and noticeable alcohol

Mouthfeel: bitter—slight sweetness at the end, high carbonation, light bodied for the style

Overall: An above average to OK wheatwine. I have been blown away by some wheatwines I have tasted, but this is not one of them. I would be really curious though to try this with some age. I will say the whole time I was drinking this I was thinking--I have had better in the style--yet I want more...I want more.

01-23-2012 14:09:34 | More by tigg924
homebrew311

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%

Review #700... Let's do this

A: this beer started with a difficult time removing the cork, I ended up having to use a cork screw, once open, I poured into a snifter and got 95% head after an overflow. Once it settled down, the appearance is slightly hazy orange with splotchy lacing and plenty of foam.

S: nose presents Belgian characteristics, primarily banana an clove followe by lemon zest and spicy year at the end. The aroma is more like a Saison than a wheatwine

T: starts off slightly sweet and then is dominated by lemon and orange, very estery, finish has a bit of spice and a bit of tartness. Again, not striking me as a typical wheatwine

Mf: high carbonation, medium body

O: well I was a little let down by this. I was surprised by the Belgian influence this beer seems to have, it appears that it is intentional.

12-22-2011 05:57:48 | More by homebrew311
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

Presentation: Corked and caged brown 750 with awesome label: batch 1-2009

Appearance: Dark burnt orange beer, with a MASSIVE ivory cap with great retention.

Smell: TONS of fruit here! Up front is juicy applesauce, spice, light spicy phenols, and a ghost of funk. Hint of spicy herbal hops in the background.

Taste: Wow. Kinda unique flavor profile. There's some citrus fruit, dry (pilsener?) malt, medium booziness, and a dry herbal hop finish. This doesn't quite live up to the nose IMO. Hint of sour fruit in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full and a bit hot

Drinkability: Medium

Conclusion: Really glad I got to try this; I tasted it fresh at the brewery (on tap) and wasn't really sure then. The bottle said this was best before October 2010, so I thought I'd give it a shot now, w/some age on it. Eh, it's better, but it's still a bit of an oddball.

08-13-2010 02:02:56 | More by BedetheVenerable
DRyan

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Nice golden slightly copper with a very vigorous white head that sticks around for a long time, and laces quite nicely
S: Esters, fruity, some slight spice. Very little apparent hop aroma
T: Hard to put a finger on it. Wheat beer, but strong wheat beer, with some added kick and spice. Aftertaste had some definite bitterness and alcohol kick to it.
M: Medium-high carbonation, thin body.
D: It is one for sipping for sure, would not be an easy chug.

09-26-2012 00:33:02 | More by DRyan
brian60625

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

22 ounce bottle for $6.99. Aroma is wheat husk, crushed malt grains, lime, banana, and peppermint. Appearance is dark, grey yellow with a lot of foam. Taste is lime, paprika, cornbread and orange zest. There’s a wooden earthiness that adds a complementary dimension. Palate is medium bodied and heavily carbonated. Overall, it’s crisp, filling due to the big carbonation dose, refreshing, sweet. Pretty good.

04-17-2013 02:09:07 | More by brian60625
BigE90

Washington

3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

Batch 2010-1, best buy 7/2011

a) a bright orange transparent color with a good 3 plus finger head upon pouring into my Deschutes Tulip.

s) the fruits of apricot and peach stand out, more fruity versus a citriusy scent if that makes sense, in the distance is a little malt/biscuit and even smaller hop aroma.

t) the fruits are at the front, then comes biscuit/matlness, I don't really get any hoppiness from it and the no citruis qualities present including any banana which is what I would was expecting from a wheat beer. Almost has a belgium characteristic to it.

m) very light and refreshing, geat for a warm day, no bitterness but also not a lot of flavor coming through. Maybe because technically I am past the best by date??? Don't know.

o) I have had many a hef's but this is my first wheat wine beer and I am just not picking up any of the wood notes with it. Overall though very drinkable, especially for the abv but, I would not seek this one out again.

08-07-2011 04:02:53 | More by BigE90
BMoney575

3.45/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Sampled on 11-26-10
Batch 1-2009
Best before October 2010

Pours a hazy golden orange color, with a huge, dense white head that sits on top and doesn't move. Lacing is the entire head, and just stays there.

Smell all hop fruitiness, with a subtle but present malt backbone. Lots of citrus and bitterness, with just a hint of alcohol.

Taste is very sharp, tons of hops and booze. Definitely needs a lot of time in the cellar, and is hot, sweet, and slightly metallic right now.

Mouthfeel is thin, which does not help the huge hop imbalance.

Drinkability is decent, see above.

Overall, a cellar beer if I've ever had one. I wish I had another.

11-27-2010 03:55:52 | More by BMoney575
drumminbrewer

3.45/5  rDev -14.8%

Hot off the shelf - poured into my D'Achouffe tulip. The only other wheat wine I've had is from Smuttynose, let's see how these compare.

Bright orange in color - Cork came out quick and powerfully...well carbonated for sure. Large, fizzy head that doesn't dissipate quickly (for a bubblier, less creamy head it hangs around for quite a while). Settles leaving a bit of lacing sporadically around the glass.

Nose is a lot of citrus...lime in particular.

First sip...wow, lots of lemon and lime! Start contrast to Smutty's! Medium bodied...heavy on the carbonation...wow, that lime just doesn't go away!

Medium bodied - finishes mid to front palate with citrus and a hit of malty sweetness.

This is really nice...I don't know if I'd seek it out again, but I'm glad I had a chance to try it. The nose is phenomenal and quite alive...this beer is almost worth buying just to smell it.

10-22-2011 02:45:50 | More by drumminbrewer
bluejacket74

3.48/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml caged and corked bottle, Batch 2010-1, best by 07/2011. It's got some age on it, but it still should be good. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a cloudy dark gold/orange color with about an inch off-white head that went away quickly. Not much lacing. The brew smells like wheat, citrus (oranges), white grapes, clove, and some tropical fruit. It tastes like white grapes, oak, peppery spice, cloves, and some wheat/bready malt. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick with low carbonation. I think this is a decent enough brew, but nothing really impressed me about it. Maybe I should try a fresher bottle next time. $8.99 a bottle.

09-02-2012 21:30:25 | More by bluejacket74
UCLABrewN84

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Thanks to Tieman for sharing this one at his tasting.

Batch 1-2011. Best by 6-2012.

Pours a slightly hazy orange with a foamy orange-white head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, wheat, citrus fruit, and wood. Taste is much the same with a mild hop bitterness with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is fairly tasty but strong.

11-11-2012 08:52:21 | More by UCLABrewN84
Prince_Casual

District of Columbia

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

A: 750ml poured into std issue total wine belgian glass... nice color but Boulevard, ALWAYS with the over carbonation!? I knew going in (from experience) to be careful, but anything less than a 100% attention to pour will give you an overflow. OK, fine, the lacing is actually beautiful :)

S: Smells like sweet wine more than anything else. Apricots and saison'ish bannanas. A little musty and some fat belgian-y yeasts. This is actually my favorite part of the beer so far.

T: Eh coriander and citrus rind. It really is a lot like the peel of a clementine after the zest has been sprayed. There's a bit of unfiltered funk and that's nice.

M: Mango taste and

O: This is my second time trying this beer, I feel the same way as I did the first time: give this as a gift to a lady who loves H-Garden or B-Moon. Tell her to pour it in a champagne flute and party.

She'll love you <-> her bf will hate you

04-06-2013 05:56:26 | More by Prince_Casual
Forb

Nebraska

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Corked from a 750ml bottle...

Appearance: An extremely massive head is presented first and foremost. Coloring is a deep, rich, orange / amber / copper haze.

Smell: Sugary, orange, spiced coriander aura wrapped within an earthy pine scent.

Taste: A strong alcohol bash to the palate amid a mostly malt based brew.

Mouthfeel: Mediocre body and carbonation.

Overall: A sipper.

07-18-2011 01:16:14 | More by Forb
brewerburgundy

3.53/5  rDev -12.8%

25.4oz bottle, Boulevard tulip, Batch 2 of 2011.

My first gusher. Pop, and as soon as I looked light colored foam was spewing forth. I poured and it simply overflowed the glass. Voluminous off-white foam, large bubbles on light orange beer. This beer needed a full size tulip, not this 25cl job.

Passion fruit and guava tropical hops, a shot of caramel, and a shovel full of wheat. Matte, stone fruity Belgian-like yeast and an untamed alcohol.

Candied fruit with coarse, spicy wheat. Apricot, lots of apricot as well as bitter, fumey alcohol. Significant hop bitterness.

Lots of soft carbonation. It isn't as prickly as anticipated, but it foams up in the mouth. Unsatisfactory. Medium-thin bitter body with that boozy thinness.

It's a rough and tough beer that seems to be trying to be a lot of things. The Belgian yeast is out of the deep outfield for me, I hadn't expected that. Its over carbonation affects the appearance significantly. I'm a bit disappointed to have to say that this is one of my least favorite Boulevard beers.

02-06-2012 00:30:11 | More by brewerburgundy
Knapp85

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out as a nice looking golden color with a thin white head on top. The smell of the beer was a little boozy somw grain on the nose also. The taste of the beer seemed a little spicy actually which I was surprised about. The flavors of sweet grains and wheat are blended with a semi spicy finish and a hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel of the beer was smooth but it gave off a good amount of boozy heat. Carbonation was minimal. Overall it wasn't a bad beer but I think I've had better.

02-06-2012 05:31:43 | More by Knapp85
inlimbo77

Delaware

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

WARNING: Reviewing an old bottle here.

750ml, Batch 1-2009, BBD 10/10. Poured into a Victory GM tulip.

A: Pours a hazy, dark orange color. Lots of carbonation. Four fingers of nice Boulevard bottle carbonation. Fluffy white head. Lingers for a while. Leaves some nice lacing stickiness.

S: Through the head I get strange bready notes. It's almost like a barleywine with some caramel and toffee notes. There is some hop aroma too but it's subdued for sure. Wish I had a fresher bottle.

T: Tastes like a light barleywine. I guess that is from the wheat. Definitely get nice sweet malt flavors of caramel and toffee. There is no real bitterness up front. Hops have died that much. It's sweet and easy drinking malt bomb now. Hints of citrus, mostly orange for sure. Rather pleasant.

M: Medium bodied.

05-14-2012 14:50:35 | More by inlimbo77
Harvest Dance from Boulevard Brewing Co.