Harvest Dance - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Harvest DanceHarvest Dance

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Wheatwine |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: bort11 on 10-30-2009

John Barleycorn is memorialized in English folk tradition as the personification of the barley plant, sacrificed at harvest time and then reborn as beer or ale. Our Harvest Dance Wheat Wine is a celebration of John’s Midwestern cousin, wheat. Beginning with a large portion of wheat malt, we add an equally generous helping of Hallertau and Citra hops and age the ale on both French and American oak. The result is a big, warming burst of tropical fruit flavors, highlighted by subtle wine-like notes, and rounding slowly to a long, dry, oaky finish.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harvest Dance Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch #:1/2009
Best by date: 10/2010

Poured into a snifter - first time I've tried this particular style. Served at cellar temp.

A - A semi-delicate pour yields a massive bubbly white head. Pours a hazy bright amber orange, like a color in a sunset.

S - Floral and fruity. Notes of honey, apples, citrus fruit, hops, yeast, and some spice. Bit of alcohol as well.

T & M - Surprising smoothness. Lots of malt. Very dry. Fruit flavors are there, but very muted and I can't quite pin them down. Bready with a slight sweetness, but a peppery presence seems to dominate over the fruit and sweetness, especially on the finish. Warming alcohol presence.

D - Quite tasty and overall smooth but very potent as well. A sipper for sure.

Really wish I had tried this fresh so I could compare this one, especially since Boulevard has pulled out of this area. Oh well - being a fan of wheat beers in general, this one did not disappoint.

4.23/5  rDev +5%

248th review on BA
Bottle to oversized wine glass
C/C 750 ML
Batch 2010-1
Best by: 07/2011

App- A very dark orange with yellow highlights and 2 1/2 fingers of super puffy head. This beer looks gorgeous to me. I've never had a wheatwine but if all of them pour this good then DAMN! Sign me up for more!

Smell- It's got the smells of a big DIPA. Super fruity with an undercurrent of hops and wheat.

Taste- As mentioned I never had a wheatwine but this has a smoky, malty, dry taste to it. The fruit taste follows the nose but only with the flavor of peaches that are a bit musky.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carbonation. It's dry with an aftertaste I cant place. The flavors are very new and can't seem to get a feel for what they are.

Drink- It's a new taste but it's very good. The 9.1% is well hidden within this big beer. The profile is very nice. I'll have to find some more wheatwines to try. It was dry and spicy(wrong adjective in my head) but all I can think. Maybe musky I guess.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

Thanks to bort11 for the trade!

Lemme start by saying that I've never come across a wheatwine that I have enjoyed. No. That's no typo I don't like wheatwines. But this one? Damn good!

Appearance: Poured into tasting glass. Poured a nice golden amber color with a nice fluffy white head.

Smell: Interesting hints of apples, pineapple, honey, banana and hops.

Taste: Nice tropical fruit taste with hints of pepper, oak and honey. WOW!

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: I hate wheatwines. Not anymore. This is a fantastic brew and I will be looking for more!

4.03/5  rDev 0%

A: hazy golden apricot, one finger head that is thick and frothy and has great retention. Creamy lacing.

S: sweet and sour fresh yeast, like the good parts of homebrew, floral hops, butterscotch, honey, wheat bread, banana, peach.

T: super peachy, the bready wheat/yeast combine with the sugar from the malt, the peachy hops and a pleasantly tart finish to create what is especially liquid peach cobbler. Delicious.

M: strong carbonation, light to medium bodied, very dry and bitter finish, no hint of the high alcohol content.

D: I've never tried this style before but I found this really interesting--it's kind of like an imperial witte.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy, about the same color as honey.

Smell: Belgian fruitiness, cloves, a little banana.

Taste: Peppery taste, warming alcohol, Belgian fruitiness, strawberry jam, pineapple, spicy hops.

Mouthfeel: Neither smooth nor overly carbonated.

Drinkability: Splitting a 750 mL bottle with a friend is about all I can handle. Not that that's a bad thing.

A fantastic beer. The aroma and taste constantly changed as I drank it. Good job, Boulevard.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Bottle courtesy of welosiped. Served in a tulip.

Pours a hazy golden-yellow color with a good white head and a bit of lacing as it goes down. The nose is pretty nice with a bit of hops in the finish, preceded by a bit of sweetness, citrus, and some mild spice. The flavor has a bit of light pale malt and white with a touch of hops and some mild fruit. Body is medium with a dry finish. Wow, a wheatwine that's actually pleasurable rather than just being somewhat I can palate. What a novel concept. Thanks, Boulevard.

4.7/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING BEER!

Appearance: It pours a golden straw color with a heavy VERY DENSE soapy head that yields to creamy and lacy as it settles.

Aroma: BANANA ester throughout when you pop this baby open. Absolutely amazing. Reminded me of the aroma of a Duvel, but without the bullshit.

Taste: Very complex, yet surprisingly simple. Not very yeasty, but it has a very complex wheat malt flavor. Yeast obviously contributes to this, but its not the predominant factor in the flavor. Flavor lingers nicely in your mouth. A slight pucker to this one, but in character for this style of beer. AMAZING.

Food pairing: Meat and Cheese. OH BABY SOME MEAT AND CHEESE! I'd actually have it with a nice light cheese, nothing too strong. Maybe a feta or gouda. This would pair nicely with some foul or a slow cooked venison.

Overall impression: Orgasm in a glass. What can I say?!?!

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Bottle shared by Thorpe during the Bears game yesterday, #1 wheatwine and this totally deserves it, since it's the first wheatwine I'd drink more of.

Beer is yellow and hazy with a soft white head of small bubbles that leaves lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a little bready and bright, not hot though, a big yeast character but it's not banana or cloves as with some wheatbeers, mildly sweet overall decent.

Beer is medium bodied and a little heavy on the lead off and the finish is oddly dry and bitter. The mid palate is yeast / wheat goodness. This beer is quite drinkable, not as sweet as other wheatwines and not as harsh as some. If it weren't for the dry / bitter finish I would really recommend this beer.

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

750ml bottle, split during some saturday nfl playoff action

2009 vintage

this beer had a long trail to my liver - purchased in south bend, left at a friends house months ago and returned to me a few months later

appearance: served in my hopleaf tulip, bright golden orange body, heavy carbonation with a big foamy white head. awesome label.

smell: surprisingly quite hoppy, orange citrus, leafy green hops, belgian yeast, sugar

taste: not your average wheatwine - heavy lean to the belgian side and a real crowd pleaser. bright citrus hops remain 2 years in the bottle, belgian yeast, clove, white pepper, lots of fresh fruit, peach

mouthfeel: slick and oily, medium body

drinkability: nice.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Smokestack glass. Batch number: 1-2009. Best by date: 10/10. (So this is presumably the "best" by date).

A: Amber orange color with lots of yeast particulates floating in it. About a 1.5 finger thick off-white head with moderate lacing and above average head retention.

S: Lots of citrusy aromas hit right up front with notes of lemon and orange peel. Nice belgian-style yeast/spice notes coming through. Some light hints of oak. I really enjoyed this smell, I feel like I detect some brett notes but its hard to say for sure.

T: Lots of oak flavors are present here and it was one of the first flavors I was able to determine. Surprisingly I get a lot of blue cheese / Gorgonzola cheese flavors. I'm not sure why but this is the flavor I'm most able to pick out. There is an assertive bitterness that tastes like grapefruit which hits towards the middle and end.

M: Medium to light bodied with a very dry finish which I assume is due to the oak.

D: This is a very complex beer with a lot of different flavors going on. The alcohol is hardly noticeable but the coplex array of flavors may start to get tedious after a while. I could drink a entire 750ml of this one.

Notes: This is probably my second wheatwine I've had and I enjoyed this one the most. The complex and interesting flavors really keep you engaged with the beer. This beer was supposedly past its best by date but I was truly impressed with this one with a year on it. I will be picking up one now to try fresh and another to age.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to onion for tossing this one in as an extra in Blind Beers #3 BIF. Split three ways and poured into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: Very pale khaki colored, highly carbonated brew. Two inch pure white head caps a spritzy looking beer. Surprising given ABV, but very nice.

S: Sweet, in a fruity, very light way. Some malt sweetness, additionally, but not a whole lot... notable wheat aroma as well. Surprisingly, not an overwhelming amount of hop bitterness apparent here, either.

T: Similar to the aroma. A nice, mildly wheaty flavor with some fruit sweetness. Faint but noticeable bitterness; extremely well balanced overall.

M: Extremely nice. Well carbonated, light bodied and refreshing.

D: Very high. Flavor is excellent and creative, not at all cloying or overwhelming. Extremely drinkable.

Allegedly this was primed with grape juice, which explains some of the nice fruit flavors. I really enjoyed this one and was amazed at the drinkability and light nature of this... never quite had a wheatwine that fit the bill like this, but it was quite nice.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

I've really enjoyed the Smokestack Series, for some reason I haven't managed to knock this one down yet; especially odd given my affinity for wheatwines. Split with my lovely, discerning, kind, observant wife.

Pour is massively overcarbonated. The head threatens spillover even on a gentle exit into a pair of goblets, even with only half the bomber poured. Orange. Unclear. Sweet wheat in the nose.

Harvest Dance is classic wheatwine hopped up past the legal limit. Enough lemon & lime bounce from the glass to qualify for Margueritaville, but their held in check, then drowned like worms in a heavy rain, but a rampant sweetness. Sweetness holds up the hops, ricochets off of a scented spiciness & more lemon/lime/orange. Oak sneaks in, succeeds in drying out the taste & leavening it with woody undertones, but is rebuffed. Spoonfulls of raw sugar & yeast round it out.

You need a sweet tooth to enjoy this beer. But despite the sugar charge & high ABV, this is almost spritely in the mouth. High carbonation & light taste contribute nicely. A bit much to slug; a half-bomber of this will do me well.

Very good beer. The hops are a nice interpretation. Keep cranking these brews out, please.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Pours a hazy gold color into my tulip glass with 2+ fingers of fluffy head, nice retention and lacing, very visible carbonation.

S - Wonderful combination of wheat, hops, tropical fruit, honey, clove, banana and oak.

T - Tastes really good, but the flavors are all mushed together and to be honest the heat on it from the alcohol is a little on the high side. Nonetheless, I get apples and pears, banana, clove, peppery notes, hops, sweet honey, and the various oak notes.

M - Well balanced, crisp and clean even with a heavier body

D - Very drinkable and very delicious, my only complaint is the heat on this one pronounced.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

750mL corked and caged. Batch 2010-1 with a best by date of 07/2011.

Orange in color and slightly hazy, this brew had a huge head that lasted with great lacing and fine rising bubbles dancing up the sides of the snifter.

Lovely fruits and spices dominate the aroma. There's some citrus and floral aspects as well. I detect a light hoppiness.

Sweet pears, apples and peaches come to mind when I'm sipping this one. The spices are well chosen, with a peppery theme to them. Hops and malts are pretty balanced. There's a touch of yeast in there too and some grainy/wheat flavors. It's very tasty, better than I expected for the style.

Feel is medium to full with a slight warming. Somewhat dry in character even though there's a residual sweet, fruity aftertaste.

Drinks quite well. I'd certainly like to have this one again. Smokestack scores another hit on this one.

Just a quick add-on for my second bottle of this beer: Excellent stuff. I'm not changing a thing. Very easy to drink, flavorful, aromatic, and (from what I've read of wheatwines) probably an ambassador for the style. Not only is it downright delicious, it's also refreshing and easy to drink after a day's work (although I admit I didn't work all that hard today).

No surprise, since it's boulevard smokestack, It's just plain fabulous.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Brown color with lots of orange - big ass bubbling is frankly pretty surprisingly, although the difficulty I had getting the cork off would attest to the carbonation. Good chunkiness and stick to the foam.

Aromas are citric and herbal, with an earthy character that nicely complements the caramel sweetness. Riding high on the wave of Citra hopping is a touch of alcoholic pepper.

Somewhat hoppy, but this wheat wine is a hint different from the barleywine style. While sweetness

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

Beers with heads like this impress me. This one is just plain dense, small tight bubbles that are rather sticky. It's pretty clear also, great stuff.
The aromatics are great too, very stong and mixes of lemon, wheat, honey and peaches. Very good, i'd say one of the better wheat wine aromas by far.
The taste is good but doesn't have the same impact as the aroma does, it's really smooth but i think in comparison a bit more subtle then the aroma, this bottle is 2 months past it's best by date so maybe that factors in, but i'd assume that would effect the aroma more so. In any event alot of the same flavors come through but the Honey and wheat are more prominant.
The carbination is light and being "only" 9% this is one really drinkable Wheatwine, 750ml alone.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

The back label indicates this is batch 1-2009.

The beer pours a honey apricot color with good head retention and lacing. This beer is very active out of the bottle, and it took some time for the large, rocky white head to subside and settle down. The nose is fairly sweet (as one would expect), with nuanaces of honey, sweet orange citrus and vanilla. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely in this sweet wheat wine, though in this case I get more of a range of tropical fruit on the palate as well (cherry, sweet peach and considerable sweet orange citrus). It's pretty good, though there was also some noticeable heat for the alcohol as well on the finish. However, in a 9% wheat wine, I almost expect that. Mouthfeel was medium bodied to full, with almost a creamy soft finish. Drinkability was pretty good, and despite the sweetness and high high alcohol, this beer wasn't the least bit heavy or tiring on the palate.

Have to confess that wheatwines are not one of my favorite styles, but I thought this was a pretty tasty beer nonetheless. Nicely done...

3.83/5  rDev -5%

750mL showing Batch Number / Best By Date : 2010-1 / 07/2011.

Golden apricot color, hazy by the end. Big head like Duvel.

Smell reminds me of their Tank 7 Saison. Tropical fruits, honey, and hay.

This really reminds me of their Tank 7 and Imp Pils with Orval - that's not a bad thing though! I wouldn't have thought Barley Wine at all, other than the label. Earthy. The wood is subtle but very nice. Could use some more complexity, but I enjoyed it.

Fairly dry for the abv. Not too sweet - the French and American oak, and unique hops, help with that too.

Very drinkable, I easily drank most of the 750 before starting the review. I think the high amount og wheat makes it deceptively light and drinkable.

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%

Batch 1-2009

A- Pours a hazy orange/golden color with a massive, thick, creamy bone-white head. Looks outstanding.

S- Caramel, cotton candy, and a decent amount of hoppiness. Smells like a slightly aged well made barleywine.

T- Loads of citrusy hops right up front with a simple malt backing... then nothing on the finish. Slightly metallic and empty on the finish. Very strange and empty.

M- A nice creamy body with a great level of carbonation. The finish is thin and slightly metallic, which kind of kills it.

D- Starts out fantastic, but the flat, boring, finish really seems odd and is disappointing. Not all that intriguing.

3.46/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Sampled on 11-26-10
Batch 1-2009
Best before October 2010

Pours a hazy golden orange color, with a huge, dense white head that sits on top and doesn't move. Lacing is the entire head, and just stays there.

Smell all hop fruitiness, with a subtle but present malt backbone. Lots of citrus and bitterness, with just a hint of alcohol.

Taste is very sharp, tons of hops and booze. Definitely needs a lot of time in the cellar, and is hot, sweet, and slightly metallic right now.

Mouthfeel is thin, which does not help the huge hop imbalance.

Drinkability is decent, see above.

Overall, a cellar beer if I've ever had one. I wish I had another.

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

A: The label art is awesome. Death dancing with a bunch of wheat. Which is usually how my nights end when drinking wheatwines. Hazy golden color with some yeast floating in suspension. Poured with almost 3 fingers of white head. Really nice sticky lacing. Visible carbonation emitting from the bottom of my tulip.

S: The nose is still fairly hoppy especially considering the style and age on the bottle. Nice sweetness. Earthy breadiness. Not the most complex nose but right to style.

T: The wheat and hops are really crisp and this beer has almost a year on it. Super well balanced even though this is probably the hoppiest example of the style that I have ever had. The alcohol is super well hidden as well which is nice/bad.

M: Fairly light in body for the style. Usually they are a bit viscous but this is nice and light with a good amount of carbonation.

D: The most drinkable example of the style I have ever had by far. I really enjoy the style but it is hard to get beers. Really a tasty beer. They need to make this again and again.

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

Thank you n8dietz for picking this up for me.

This wheat wine has the most carbonation I've ever seen for this style of beer. Three fingers easy. It isn't until the beer is close to room temperature that the retention billows down. The color is a merengue toasted bread crust of caramel.

The is a spicey marmalade. Teh spice seems to first from the hops, then the alcohol adds some fire to the nostrils. The hops seem to imbue a more peppery fruit aroma. The alcohol is a bit scorching.

Mild bitter oranges and lots caramel and crystal toasted mlats are the first and second wave of flavor. The alcohol and the hops take over on the finish and the lingering flavors of this beer. The hops add a little more to the orange peel flavor and the alcohol gives the finish a lot of fruity warmth.

Fruity and spicey nightcap . Good for sipping.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Another want off my list by BedetheVenerable. Batch Number 1-2009 Best By Date 10/10.

A- Im no longer surprised to see a huge, rowdy head form when I pour anything from Boulevard into my glass. This one follows suit with a big dollop of froth that has the density to stand out above the rim of my snifter. Orange pith in color with a murky figure.

S- Who doesnt like the smell of Citra in the morning? Its 10:23pm and it still smells good. Citrus fruit is the favored aroma here but its not, by any means, the only aroma. Some spicy hops and snappy wheat. Alcohol is there just enough to keep things massive. Even a very understated note of chocolate can be found.

T- Citra hops bring the ruckus with lots of tangerine and lemon-lime. With this beer probably being a year old I can imagine how hop forward it must have been. Perhaps too hop forward, as things are currently just about right. Wheat brings along what fruits and spices the hops forgot.
The bottle claims "a long, dry, oaky finish". They aren't lying. The finish is mighty oaky with flavors of wood pulp and shop class.

M- Thinner than I expected, and perhaps hoped, it would be. Despite the wild head, carbonation is about spot on, if a bit fluffy.

D- This is really nice stuff. This beer reminds me why wheatwines are one of my favorite styles. On a cool autumn evening this is just what the doctor ordered. Thanks Dan!

4.23/5  rDev +5%

Batch 1-2009. Harvest orange with butter rum borders and near riotous bubbles that are racing up to a massive crown of pale cork colored foam. The head is decently creamy and is doing a respectable job sticking to the upper reaches of the chalice. In the end, the crown is Alps-like rocky and chunks of suds are sticking all over the damn place.

The aroma is primarily citrusy (Citra hops) and minimally herbal-earthy (Hallertau hops). The grains don't make much of an olfactory impact. Then again, alcohol doesn't either. Warming opens things up in fine fashion, allowing the hops to shine even more brightly.

Harvest Dance Wheat Wine Style Ale has quite a bit in common with a DIPA. The brewers must have added a ton of hops (especially Citra) because hop flavor and bitterness are still going strong after more than one year in the bottle. Alcohol is masked very well too, especially since there are no strong flavors from the malt to cover it up.

Specifics include rock candy, white grapefruit and lemon zest, clover honey, and several staves worth of toasted oak. This is pretty simple big beer, but the flavors fit together beautifully. It also helps that the finish strongly favors dry and crisp over sticky and sweet, which is unusual for barleywines and wheatwines. Good design decision.

Each subsequent pour results in a controlled explosion of foam that threatens to overflow the glass. It also requires several minutes of waiting for things to settle down enough for another sip to be possible. Warming emboldens the beer, but doesn't otherwise change it. In some ways, I'm reminded of one of my favorite single malts (Talisker 10). Both are peppery and fiery, yet still mellow and impressively drinkable.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly light for the style and the ABV... and it works. Wheatwines should have a lighter touch than barleywines, after all. The carbonation isn't as ferocious as feared. Actually, it's well done once several minutes have passed since the last pour.

Even though the final score won't necessarily reflect it, Harvest Dance is one of the best wheatwines that I've had so far. The taste score *just* missed the next highest number. It might be the alcohol talking, but what the hell, 4.5 it is. I'm not sure if Boulevard has plans to release this Smokestack Series beer yearly, but it would be great if they did.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a wonderful cloudy copper with excellent head and some decent lacing. Very deep malty scent, nice and wheaty with huge spice (pepper mostly) tones. Very nice taste, a wonderful deep and thick wheat maltiness with huge (almost too much) spice flavors (pepper again mostly). Goes down really smooth with almost no hint of the high ABV.

Harvest Dance from Boulevard Brewing Co.