Rye-on-Rye - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Rye-on-RyeRye-on-Rye

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Rye Beer |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 02-16-2010

Why Rye? This assertively flavorful grain is more often associated with whiskey than with ales. Even in that arena, it has largely been eclipsed by corn and barley, the sources of bourbon and scotch. But when we procured some seasoned barrels from our friends at Templeton Rye, we asked ourselves, “Why not?” Why not brew a rich, tawny rye ale, then mellow it in the warmth of charred oak rye whiskey casks? Two kinds of malted rye provide spicy sweetness, giving way to notes of caramelized wood and the citrusy tang of Perle, Magnum, and Saphir hops before easing into a dry, lingering finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rye-on-Rye Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,408 | Reviews: 348

EPIC! I never rate beers because I feel they are a personal choice. This one was on another level! Seriously I've had all of the top 5 or more and this one is the best! Thanks Boulevard for doing such a good job with this beer and please, PLEASE, make more for me to imbibe.

Best beer I've drank in 2012!
There is nothing wrong with this beer, and shame on anyone who's rated this below a 5.0.
To truly appreciate this beer, you must appreciate the bourbon barrels in which it was aged...
Templeton Rye Whiskey (http://www.templetonrye.com/home/) is something special, even when not coming from the Branch River. Distilled in Iowa, by the distiller above, as well as continued by the original bootleggers of Al Capone's time, I've had the chance to taste both side by side (age only difference). How and why Boulevard got a hold of barrels, I'll never know. A special rye ale + aged in special rye barrels = taste bud enlightenment.

I believe Jim has outdone himself here...now if I could just get my hands on the Irish Ale I hear is aging in the same barrels...I may say different.

On tap, this beer is too drinkable. Masking the 11% beautifully with wave after wave of eye-opening flavors; the balanced sweetness of complex malts and whiskey notes, the richness of the tamed rye, while accompanied by a surprising overall lightness in both color and weight.
I highly recommend this on draught, if you can find it...now if I could only find a bottle...or 12.
Cheers and enjoy--Nastic

hard to tell where the rye beer ends and the rye whiskey begins.
a: light brown, nice head retention for a beer this strong, whispy lingering coat
s: toffee and rye whiskey, vanilla
t: sweet whiskey. thick body from the rye.very vanilla and drying oak on finish.
o: would prefer this to BCBS to be honest. I am partial to rye over bourbon, but this may be my new favorite BA beer

Smooth as Smooth gets!

This rye beer leans away from the hops and has more of a barleywine taste. In my opinion this is the best beer Boulevard has made so far. You will never have a rye beer quite like it.

A - Dark orange and amber color with a half inch of head. Translucent, almost ruby-like appearance.

S - Rye whiskey aroma is dominant, as it should be and it is complemented by a very slight burn from the alcohol. Some sweeter fruits come through here as well such as raisin and fig.

T - Delivered as promised, strong rye whiskey character with a strong rye bread (caraway seed) backbone. Slight alcohol burn, by nothing deterring. I expected to be overwhelmed by too much of a rye flavor, but this isn't the case; the two rye types go well together. No hop character, but a sweet malt profile to hold everything in place.

M - Spicy and warm rye aftertaste that properly tops off this full-bodied rye brew.

O - This is easily my favorite beer of the year because of its amazingness and that it promises exactly what it provides. 5's across the board.

Oh my... Can you mess any beer up by aging it in whiskey barrels? I digress... this beer is awesome... please do not drink this cold; let it sit out for a good hour before you pour, then the flavors really come out. in my opinion, it's kind of a cross between a wit and a farmhouse ale with added oak and lots of whiskey flavor. There is also a bit of funk in there that makes it unique. You could pound this beer if you wanted to... no sipping desert wine. This is arguably my favorite beer this year, since they killed the production of Bourbon Barrel Quad this year.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Boozy number here no doubt. Enjoyed growler from Lincoln Filling Station. Another tremendous beer from Boulevard. At 12% this is a sipper for sure . meant to be enjoyed at a slow pace. Appearance is caramel colored and cloudy. Smell is boozy and rye whiskey. Taste is rye and caramel, booze. Mouthfeel is warming thick and creamy with whiskey notes. Overall a solid 5 best whiskey barrel aged beer I've tried

4.92/5  rDev +16%

2012 bottle 750ml - Poured into a Belgium glass.

I've had the opportunity to drink 4 of these big boy bottles over the course of the year, and every time I revisit this brew, I like it more and more.

Pouring it never gives me more than a medium sized head that doesn't stick around too long. It's a brownish color that when held up to light shows a heavenly dark auburn red color that's moderately clear as you peer through it.

Be ready for a predominant thought the very first time you sip it. Woah, it's sweet. Almost gimmickly so. There are grander plans afoot though, as by the 3rd or 4th sip the flavors of rye and a warm burn start to linger and everything blends together beautifully.

Many people prefer a beer with this level of alcohol (11%) to mask it's boozy potency as a sign of worthiness. For some types of beers, I don't disagree. Not for a kissing cousin of whiskey. This warming flourish of alcohol endears this brew to me, rather than resisting it.

Sipping this in front of a fire or at least while some flakes fall outside would be an enviable state of relaxation for any beer lover.

This isn't just my favorite Boulevard Beer, it's my current favorite beer, period.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

served in the boulevard glass

I sit here drinking this, and am in awe. It is unbelievable how Boulevard has somehow married whisky and beer together in such a perfect matrimony. This has been sitting in my fridge waiting for me to drink it for a little over a week now, and it was torture waiting. It came highly recommended, and was even said to be the best brew from the smokestack series, by one of the beer experts at a local liquor store, and sweet heaven and earth they may actually be right.

Its dark burnt orange and hazy brown appearance with a consistent half finger head atop a beautiful reverse waterfall of carbonation is immaculate.

the taste is something like i've never had before. like i said before, this marriage was meant to be. to have a 12% brew be so classy and smooth with little to no sign of an alcoholic bite is beyond me. This is a must try for anyone and everyone.

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

Tawny clouded body wit outstanding rocky cream head that goes the distance.

The nose is huge! Charred oak, spicy rye bread, tons of whiskey saturated fruits(maraschino cherries)caramalized sugar, perhaps some Jager??

THe taste is full on whiskey, very smokey with huge notes of caramel and vanilla, charred oak is also really prevelant. Some mild fruit flavors and a malt sweetness come to fruition before a dryish close. This is one boozey and complex ride.

The beer is well carbonated medium to full bodied and has a very syrupy but not heavy texture.

I absolutely love all of the Smokestack Series brews, but I think this is the best one by far. I WAS never a whiskey drinker, but the more brews that I sample that have been aged in whiskey barrels, the more I am seeing myself grow a liking for that smokey goodness.

4.86/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance- Less than a finger head, little visible carbonation and a straight amber color. See some immediate lacing.

Smell- this has an understated perfume scent that reminds me of alcohol sweetness, some floral hops and slight rye bread; nothing far off from what the name implies. Not much there even after teasing it but enough for me to complement the flavor profile.

Taste- You get hit with a strong cherry-whiskey-rye profile right at the front and it quickly mellows out to a more orange/lemon citrus. There are some spices such as coriander and cinnamon but not much distinguishable outside of that. This is my favorite rye beer that I have found on the market thanks to its ability to balance the old fashoined rye feel with a refreshing taste (Founders Red's Rye in close second for the hop characteristics).

Mouthfeel- medium-low carbonation and medium mouthfeel. This beer is more of a sipper and the body reflects that; great balance.

Overall- With the 2014 in hand, I have the last few years of this delicious beer and am excited to give them all a shot thisyear. This beer ages extremely well while still being drinkable first year.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my go to when my growler shop has it. It is smooth tasty and packs a punch. The barrel aging does its magic in this one.

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

Dense, sand colored head atop a near opaque dark brown beer. Fair amount of sediment bobbing around. Nice crescent moon of retention that leaves heavy trails of foam sliding down my glass.

Sharp rye immediately leaps into the nose. Whiskey soaked raisin bread and treacle. Smells like everything I'd want from a big rye beer.

Tastes as good as it smells. Rum raisin, rye whiskey spice. Between the carbonation and rye spice flavors seem to bounce gleefully around the palette. Gleefully I say. Tastes big and alcoholic but not hot.

Hands down my new favorite big beer. I'm reticent to give 5s but there's nothing I would change about it other than wishing it came in smaller bottles so I could have one by myself. Like a hermit.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - An absolutely stunning reddish brown with 2 fingers of a beautifully white head. Nice retention and lacing.

S - Smells of huge rye and bourbon with dark fruits becoming more apparent as it warms. Bit of spiciness comes through here as well.

T - Oh man, this is something else! Huge notes of toffee, vanilla, dark fruits such as cherries and raisins, caramel and rye. Finishes with a nice sweetness leaving barely any alcohol to be detected; impressive!

M - Medium body on this one, lighter than I would expect. Makes for a dangerously drinkable and amazing brew.

O - This was my first rye beer and it really impressed the hell out of me. Extremely delicious while being drinkable and is one of my favorites.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

No. 1726 of 12148...batch 2010-1, best by 01/13.

Pours a slightly hazy orange copper color with a BIG foamy light pastel matte tan colored head that fades slowly leaving sheets of Belgian lacing behind. The smell has a really appealing complexity and uniqueness. Aggressive sweet grainy rye malt whiskey balanced by a fruity citrus character. The flavor lines up really nicely with the nose. Appropriately carbonated, a tangy liveliness yields to the creamy smooth texture that compliments the drinkability. The 11.0% ABV is neither timid nor distracting...hey, this one is billed as a Rye's Rye. This is beyond a doubt my favorite Boulevard ale. Scoring major points for imagination and creativity. This ale is a gateway to WHISKEY!!

This remains my all time favorite. (7/17/2010)

4.76/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 release

A: pours an awesome hazy light orange/brown like rust that is not completely opaque. the pour created a solid fingers worth of off-white head formation, and the lacing was very nice as well.

S: wow this is immensely complex. definitely taken by suprise. massive toffee, caramel and vanilla sweetness, alcohol soaked raisins, rye whisky, some plums, brown sugar, and oak. this is honestly one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. and it is so damn well balanced.

T: strong whiskey and oak comes out here more, but the massive sweetness from the toffee, caramel and vanilla help prevent the whiskey from overtaking the brew. i also pick up on berries, a slight waffer note, as well as bubble gum. massive complexity

M: coats the mouth with immense vanilla and oak sweetness with an inviting heat from the alcohol. solid medium bodied brew. nice carbonation, and the sweetness sparks salivation.

O: a best friend of mine said that this is like an English Barleywine, and I must admit that his statement is very true. Immense complexity, and it has a terrific balance. For being 12%, it is one of the best balanced brews I have had. This will be one that I consistently seek out. A well done brew.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 version...very interesting beer. The whiskey flavor was very balanced ie you could taste it but it was not overpowering. Plus the 12% ABV added a nice kick.
Enjoyed this one a lot and will try to get another when available.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Color- hazy dark maple syrup. Medium head.

Aroma- pecan pie and bourbon.

Taste- A rich, deep masterpiece. Starts sweet and "hot" from the high alcohol, followed by a fantastic bourbon barrel note that reminds us of a good time on a warn Kentucky evening, finishes long and tasty with remaining hints of bourbon, grain, and raisin. Don't serve too cold; it needs to warm a bit to develop its optimum flavor. .A fantastic cold weather brew! Purchased Feb. 2014. Tasted 5/28/14.

Poured from a corked 750 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass),

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

cloudy and sediment-ridden. smells like raisin and sweet biscuit. big ol' rye & whiskey barrel taste, with some nice plum/dark fruit notes. aftertaste is the same. delicious!

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

To start, cold has a huge effect on this brew, lots of chill haze. I've reviewed it one it warmed up...

A - Clear mahogany, great clarity for a complex brew. Nice strong carbonation and wonderful foamy and soapy tan head. no lacing or residue.

S - Huge rye and vanilla scents. You can smell the heat too.

T/M - Awesome smoothness and vanilla feel. Perfect moderate carbonation. The rye stands out, but is not overwhelming. Lots of heavy barley and delicate hops. The heat is very well hidden and does not stand at the forefront. The heat is detectable, but not over top or annoying. Very wet, heavy, and roasty.

O - Awesome first impression of Rye on Rye! Great brew! Highly recommended, i'll be anxious to see where this one goes with a bit of time. Huge and enjoyable!

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Beautiful caramel color, hazy, with a decent head.

S- The nose is dominated by a huge oak-vanilla-whiskey note, with spicy rye and some booze.

T- Much like the nose, there are big rye, whiskey, vanilla, oak flavors. There is also some caramel sweetness, fruitiness, and toffee.

M- Medium bodied, perfectly carbonated, and smooth.

O- This is a great beer, especially considering the price. Definitely pick this one up if you come across it.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this bottle up from Friar Tuck in Savoy, IL (thanks Blaine). Number 10605 of 12148. Uncorked with a strong pop. Carbonation was a little more than I expected from an 11% beer. Two finger head retained a nice lacing throughout. Color was similar to a Belgian Dark Strong.

Smells sweet with overtones vanilla and caramel due to the Templeton Rye barrel aging. The rye barreling is very balanced, neither dominating nor hidden. The use of rye grains is most notable in the mouthfeel - a very smooth beer.

Drinkability is limited to your means and ability to acquire this limited edition from Boulevard. I've consumed all of the Boulevard Smokestack series and I would consider this one, along with the Saison with Bret as the best.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy amber with a burgundy hue. Thick, creamy off-white head that thins out but remains full.
Rye, hops, whiskey, and vanilla all come into play on the nose. Dry, pickled aroma is the foundation of the smell--very reminiscent of a Frontenac wine, and it's quite appealing. I became quite fond of Frontenac wines after a visit to Falconer Vineyards in Red Wing, so the smell of this beer is quite welcoming.
Taste is whiskey notes up front, with vanilla and oak accompanying. Malts and grassy hops follow. Pickled vegetables (celery) come in near the finish and carry through.
Mouthfeel is excellent. Medium bodied, with an optimal level of crispness and a slightly dry finish.
Very good on drinkability. The alcohol presence is very well-hidden in both the smell and taste. I have another bottle, and I'd love to open it, but I've designated that one for the "cellar."
This is a superb beer. Perhaps my favorite of the Smokestack Series so far.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Had this beer on tap at the horseshoe pub in Hudson MA.

Poured a clear tan body with a small off-white head.

Nose was amazing with a strong caramel malt, but loads of rye whiskey.

Taste is along the same lines. Big body, but not over the top. No hint whatsover this beer is 11%abv. Lots of absoultely delicous caramel and bready malt mixed with layers of rye whiskey. Flavor. Oak, mild touches of vanilla, some leather. Your typical barrel aged sort of flavor.

What an AMAZING beer. I could drink this all day. (Technically I did). :-) I really wish this was a full time brew from Boulevard. Awesome stuff. I ordered a second round, then went back later in the day to order a 3rd and 4th. Seriously, awesome beer.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Well, where to start...

I thought they weren't releasing this beer for some reason, then I see an entire case of it at work. Bought the whole thing, based on last year's batch. Anyway... Allagash Toulip/chalice thing (laser etched, favorite drinking vessel). I feel it necessary to preface by saying that I HATE rye bread.

Appearance: I HATE hwne people use this word to describe food or beer, but... Sexy. Fantastic golden/amber/orange color that is clear, but that you can't see through... it'll make sense when you have it. Head is fluffy, caramel colored, creamy, and fades slowly. The lacing (as per usual from boulevard) is absolutely insane. Stick, Stuck.

Aroma: Depends on the temp you smell it at. Colder = Resin, Citrus, fresh cut wood, spicy grain, vague caramelized flavors... warmer = vanilla, Whiskey, toasted wood, molasses, peat, earth... unreal.

Taste: I have made a living, and dedicated my life, to figuring how to make things complex, decadent, flavorful, and intriguing... and this is everything I've ever sought, in a bottle. I know that you're probably rolling your eyes, but I'm serious. Starts out with fantastic malt flavors, yielding caramel, molasses, and treacle... then yields to a very nice earthy/floral hop presence, followed quickly by a very well balanced rye spiciness.... and finishes like a world-class barrel aged beer, with hints of vanilla, oak, char, brown sugar, and the faintest hint of peat. I've paid three times as much for a beer, and haven't gotten as much flavor and depth as this beer offers.

Mouth feel: The sweetness is balanced by the earthiness is balanced by the spiciness is balanced by the the hopiness is balanced by the barrel is balanced by the whiskey. Not too clingy, just enough "stick" o make it incredibly memorable. If they made a more syrupy version, it would be the only beer I drank.

Overall: Enjoyed more than any of the silly $25+ beers that I've paid for. will spend the rest of my life figuring out how to brew this. Buy it, age it, enjoy it.

Rye-on-Rye from Boulevard Brewing Co.