Rye-on-Rye - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Rye-on-RyeRye-on-Rye

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Rye Beer |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 02-16-2010

Why Rye? This assertively flavorful grain is more often associated with whiskey than with ales. Even in that arena, it has largely been eclipsed by corn and barley, the sources of bourbon and scotch. But when we procured some seasoned barrels from our friends at Templeton Rye, we asked ourselves, “Why not?” Why not brew a rich, tawny rye ale, then mellow it in the warmth of charred oak rye whiskey casks? Two kinds of malted rye provide spicy sweetness, giving way to notes of caramelized wood and the citrusy tang of Perle, Magnum, and Saphir hops before easing into a dry, lingering finish.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rye-on-Rye Alström Bros

EPIC! I never rate beers because I feel they are a personal choice. This one was on another level! Seriously I've had all of the top 5 or more and this one is the best! Thanks Boulevard for doing such a good job with this beer and please, PLEASE, make more for me to imbibe.

Best beer I've drank in 2012!
There is nothing wrong with this beer, and shame on anyone who's rated this below a 5.0.
To truly appreciate this beer, you must appreciate the bourbon barrels in which it was aged...
Templeton Rye Whiskey (http://www.templetonrye.com/home/) is something special, even when not coming from the Branch River. Distilled in Iowa, by the distiller above, as well as continued by the original bootleggers of Al Capone's time, I've had the chance to taste both side by side (age only difference). How and why Boulevard got a hold of barrels, I'll never know. A special rye ale + aged in special rye barrels = taste bud enlightenment.

I believe Jim has outdone himself here...now if I could just get my hands on the Irish Ale I hear is aging in the same barrels...I may say different.

On tap, this beer is too drinkable. Masking the 11% beautifully with wave after wave of eye-opening flavors; the balanced sweetness of complex malts and whiskey notes, the richness of the tamed rye, while accompanied by a surprising overall lightness in both color and weight.
I highly recommend this on draught, if you can find it...now if I could only find a bottle...or 12.
Cheers and enjoy--Nastic

Rye-on-Rye from Boulevard Brewing Co.