1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rye-on-Rye - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Rye-on-RyeRye-on-Rye

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Rye Beer |  12.00% ABV

Why Rye? This assertively flavorful grain is more often associated with whiskey than with ales. Even in that arena, it has largely been eclipsed by corn and barley, the sources of bourbon and scotch. But when we procured some seasoned barrels from our friends at Templeton Rye, we asked ourselves, “Why not?” Why not brew a rich, tawny rye ale, then mellow it in the warmth of charred oak rye whiskey casks? Two kinds of malted rye provide spicy sweetness, giving way to notes of caramelized wood and the citrusy tang of Perle, Magnum, and Saphir hops before easing into a dry, lingering finish.

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 02-16-2010)
View: Beers (44) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rye-on-Rye Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,106 | Reviews: 319 | Show All Ratings:
Archimedes

Smooth as Smooth gets!

This rye beer leans away from the hops and has more of a barleywine taste. In my opinion this is the best beer Boulevard has made so far. You will never have a rye beer quite like it.

02-18-2012 16:10:35 | More by Archimedes
BeerMaverick

A - Dark orange and amber color with a half inch of head. Translucent, almost ruby-like appearance.

S - Rye whiskey aroma is dominant, as it should be and it is complemented by a very slight burn from the alcohol. Some sweeter fruits come through here as well such as raisin and fig.

T - Delivered as promised, strong rye whiskey character with a strong rye bread (caraway seed) backbone. Slight alcohol burn, by nothing deterring. I expected to be overwhelmed by too much of a rye flavor, but this isn't the case; the two rye types go well together. No hop character, but a sweet malt profile to hold everything in place.

M - Spicy and warm rye aftertaste that properly tops off this full-bodied rye brew.

O - This is easily my favorite beer of the year because of its amazingness and that it promises exactly what it provides. 5's across the board.

04-09-2012 01:34:48 | More by BeerMaverick
jimnastic

Best beer I've drank in 2012!
There is nothing wrong with this beer, and shame on anyone who's rated this below a 5.0.
To truly appreciate this beer, you must appreciate the bourbon barrels in which it was aged...
Templeton Rye Whiskey (http://www.templetonrye.com/home/) is something special, even when not coming from the Branch River. Distilled in Iowa, by the distiller above, as well as continued by the original bootleggers of Al Capone's time, I've had the chance to taste both side by side (age only difference). How and why Boulevard got a hold of barrels, I'll never know. A special rye ale + aged in special rye barrels = taste bud enlightenment.

I believe Jim has outdone himself here...now if I could just get my hands on the Irish Ale I hear is aging in the same barrels...I may say different.

On tap, this beer is too drinkable. Masking the 11% beautifully with wave after wave of eye-opening flavors; the balanced sweetness of complex malts and whiskey notes, the richness of the tamed rye, while accompanied by a surprising overall lightness in both color and weight.
I highly recommend this on draught, if you can find it...now if I could only find a bottle...or 12.
Cheers and enjoy--Nastic

11-04-2012 03:07:00 | More by jimnastic
irongator

Kansas

Oh my... Can you mess any beer up by aging it in whiskey barrels? I digress... this beer is awesome... please do not drink this cold; let it sit out for a good hour before you pour, then the flavors really come out. in my opinion, it's kind of a cross between a wit and a farmhouse ale with added oak and lots of whiskey flavor. There is also a bit of funk in there that makes it unique. You could pound this beer if you wanted to... no sipping desert wine. This is arguably my favorite beer this year, since they killed the production of Bourbon Barrel Quad this year.

12-29-2012 12:55:50 | More by irongator
campuschief

EPIC! I never rate beers because I feel they are a personal choice. This one was on another level! Seriously I've had all of the top 5 or more and this one is the best! Thanks Boulevard for doing such a good job with this beer and please, PLEASE, make more for me to imbibe.

01-19-2013 02:26:07 | More by campuschief
Chirpie

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

2012 bottle 750ml - Poured into a Belgium glass.

I've had the opportunity to drink 4 of these big boy bottles over the course of the year, and every time I revisit this brew, I like it more and more.

Pouring it never gives me more than a medium sized head that doesn't stick around too long. It's a brownish color that when held up to light shows a heavenly dark auburn red color that's moderately clear as you peer through it.

Be ready for a predominant thought the very first time you sip it. Woah, it's sweet. Almost gimmickly so. There are grander plans afoot though, as by the 3rd or 4th sip the flavors of rye and a warm burn start to linger and everything blends together beautifully.

Many people prefer a beer with this level of alcohol (11%) to mask it's boozy potency as a sign of worthiness. For some types of beers, I don't disagree. Not for a kissing cousin of whiskey. This warming flourish of alcohol endears this brew to me, rather than resisting it.

Sipping this in front of a fire or at least while some flakes fall outside would be an enviable state of relaxation for any beer lover.

This isn't just my favorite Boulevard Beer, it's my current favorite beer, period.

11-26-2012 21:03:19 | More by Chirpie
alex_hart

Oklahoma

4.91/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

served in the boulevard glass

I sit here drinking this, and am in awe. It is unbelievable how Boulevard has somehow married whisky and beer together in such a perfect matrimony. This has been sitting in my fridge waiting for me to drink it for a little over a week now, and it was torture waiting. It came highly recommended, and was even said to be the best brew from the smokestack series, by one of the beer experts at a local liquor store, and sweet heaven and earth they may actually be right.

Its dark burnt orange and hazy brown appearance with a consistent half finger head atop a beautiful reverse waterfall of carbonation is immaculate.

the taste is something like i've never had before. like i said before, this marriage was meant to be. to have a 12% brew be so classy and smooth with little to no sign of an alcoholic bite is beyond me. This is a must try for anyone and everyone.

03-03-2013 02:27:38 | More by alex_hart
bonsreeb85

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Tawny clouded body wit outstanding rocky cream head that goes the distance.

The nose is huge! Charred oak, spicy rye bread, tons of whiskey saturated fruits(maraschino cherries)caramalized sugar, perhaps some Jager??

THe taste is full on whiskey, very smokey with huge notes of caramel and vanilla, charred oak is also really prevelant. Some mild fruit flavors and a malt sweetness come to fruition before a dryish close. This is one boozey and complex ride.

The beer is well carbonated medium to full bodied and has a very syrupy but not heavy texture.

I absolutely love all of the Smokestack Series brews, but I think this is the best one by far. I WAS never a whiskey drinker, but the more brews that I sample that have been aged in whiskey barrels, the more I am seeing myself grow a liking for that smokey goodness.

05-06-2010 02:19:23 | More by bonsreeb85
SavvyStudent

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance- Less than a finger head, little visible carbonation and a straight amber color. See some immediate lacing.

Smell- this has an understated perfume scent that reminds me of alcohol sweetness, some floral hops and slight rye bread; nothing far off from what the name implies. Not much there even after teasing it but enough for me to complement the flavor profile.

Taste- You get hit with a strong cherry-whiskey-rye profile right at the front and it quickly mellows out to a more orange/lemon citrus. There are some spices such as coriander and cinnamon but not much distinguishable outside of that. This is my favorite rye beer that I have found on the market thanks to its ability to balance the old fashoined rye feel with a refreshing taste (Founders Red's Rye in close second for the hop characteristics).

Mouthfeel- medium-low carbonation and medium mouthfeel. This beer is more of a sipper and the body reflects that; great balance.

Overall- With the 2014 in hand, I have the last few years of this delicious beer and am excited to give them all a shot thisyear. This beer ages extremely well while still being drinkable first year.

01-29-2014 19:59:57 | More by SavvyStudent
donkeyrunner

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Dense, sand colored head atop a near opaque dark brown beer. Fair amount of sediment bobbing around. Nice crescent moon of retention that leaves heavy trails of foam sliding down my glass.

Sharp rye immediately leaps into the nose. Whiskey soaked raisin bread and treacle. Smells like everything I'd want from a big rye beer.

Tastes as good as it smells. Rum raisin, rye whiskey spice. Between the carbonation and rye spice flavors seem to bounce gleefully around the palette. Gleefully I say. Tastes big and alcoholic but not hot.

Hands down my new favorite big beer. I'm reticent to give 5s but there's nothing I would change about it other than wishing it came in smaller bottles so I could have one by myself. Like a hermit.

09-02-2012 14:10:43 | More by donkeyrunner
DemoniChris

Nebraska

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - An absolutely stunning reddish brown with 2 fingers of a beautifully white head. Nice retention and lacing.

S - Smells of huge rye and bourbon with dark fruits becoming more apparent as it warms. Bit of spiciness comes through here as well.

T - Oh man, this is something else! Huge notes of toffee, vanilla, dark fruits such as cherries and raisins, caramel and rye. Finishes with a nice sweetness leaving barely any alcohol to be detected; impressive!

M - Medium body on this one, lighter than I would expect. Makes for a dangerously drinkable and amazing brew.

O - This was my first rye beer and it really impressed the hell out of me. Extremely delicious while being drinkable and is one of my favorites.

06-04-2013 11:09:37 | More by DemoniChris
jjayjaye

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

No. 1726 of 12148...batch 2010-1, best by 01/13.

Pours a slightly hazy orange copper color with a BIG foamy light pastel matte tan colored head that fades slowly leaving sheets of Belgian lacing behind. The smell has a really appealing complexity and uniqueness. Aggressive sweet grainy rye malt whiskey balanced by a fruity citrus character. The flavor lines up really nicely with the nose. Appropriately carbonated, a tangy liveliness yields to the creamy smooth texture that compliments the drinkability. The 11.0% ABV is neither timid nor distracting...hey, this one is billed as a Rye's Rye. This is beyond a doubt my favorite Boulevard ale. Scoring major points for imagination and creativity. This ale is a gateway to WHISKEY!!

This remains my all time favorite. (7/17/2010)

04-15-2010 04:00:56 | More by jjayjaye
chugalug06

Colorado

4.75/5  rDev +12%

To start, cold has a huge effect on this brew, lots of chill haze. I've reviewed it one it warmed up...

A - Clear mahogany, great clarity for a complex brew. Nice strong carbonation and wonderful foamy and soapy tan head. no lacing or residue.

S - Huge rye and vanilla scents. You can smell the heat too.

T/M - Awesome smoothness and vanilla feel. Perfect moderate carbonation. The rye stands out, but is not overwhelming. Lots of heavy barley and delicate hops. The heat is very well hidden and does not stand at the forefront. The heat is detectable, but not over top or annoying. Very wet, heavy, and roasty.

O - Awesome first impression of Rye on Rye! Great brew! Highly recommended, i'll be anxious to see where this one goes with a bit of time. Huge and enjoyable!

03-25-2012 03:56:24 | More by chugalug06
tut2528

4.75/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 release

A: pours an awesome hazy light orange/brown like rust that is not completely opaque. the pour created a solid fingers worth of off-white head formation, and the lacing was very nice as well.

S: wow this is immensely complex. definitely taken by suprise. massive toffee, caramel and vanilla sweetness, alcohol soaked raisins, rye whisky, some plums, brown sugar, and oak. this is honestly one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. and it is so damn well balanced.

T: strong whiskey and oak comes out here more, but the massive sweetness from the toffee, caramel and vanilla help prevent the whiskey from overtaking the brew. i also pick up on berries, a slight waffer note, as well as bubble gum. massive complexity

M: coats the mouth with immense vanilla and oak sweetness with an inviting heat from the alcohol. solid medium bodied brew. nice carbonation, and the sweetness sparks salivation.

O: a best friend of mine said that this is like an English Barleywine, and I must admit that his statement is very true. Immense complexity, and it has a terrific balance. For being 12%, it is one of the best balanced brews I have had. This will be one that I consistently seek out. A well done brew.

01-25-2013 01:50:33 | More by tut2528
genefruit

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this bottle up from Friar Tuck in Savoy, IL (thanks Blaine). Number 10605 of 12148. Uncorked with a strong pop. Carbonation was a little more than I expected from an 11% beer. Two finger head retained a nice lacing throughout. Color was similar to a Belgian Dark Strong.

Smells sweet with overtones vanilla and caramel due to the Templeton Rye barrel aging. The rye barreling is very balanced, neither dominating nor hidden. The use of rye grains is most notable in the mouthfeel - a very smooth beer.

Drinkability is limited to your means and ability to acquire this limited edition from Boulevard. I've consumed all of the Boulevard Smokestack series and I would consider this one, along with the Saison with Bret as the best.

02-20-2010 22:02:11 | More by genefruit
Parrotbeak

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy amber with a burgundy hue. Thick, creamy off-white head that thins out but remains full.
Rye, hops, whiskey, and vanilla all come into play on the nose. Dry, pickled aroma is the foundation of the smell--very reminiscent of a Frontenac wine, and it's quite appealing. I became quite fond of Frontenac wines after a visit to Falconer Vineyards in Red Wing, so the smell of this beer is quite welcoming.
Taste is whiskey notes up front, with vanilla and oak accompanying. Malts and grassy hops follow. Pickled vegetables (celery) come in near the finish and carry through.
Mouthfeel is excellent. Medium bodied, with an optimal level of crispness and a slightly dry finish.
Very good on drinkability. The alcohol presence is very well-hidden in both the smell and taste. I have another bottle, and I'd love to open it, but I've designated that one for the "cellar."
This is a superb beer. Perhaps my favorite of the Smokestack Series so far.

03-20-2010 01:58:08 | More by Parrotbeak
Buster

Oklahoma

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Beautiful caramel color, hazy, with a decent head.

S- The nose is dominated by a huge oak-vanilla-whiskey note, with spicy rye and some booze.

T- Much like the nose, there are big rye, whiskey, vanilla, oak flavors. There is also some caramel sweetness, fruitiness, and toffee.

M- Medium bodied, perfectly carbonated, and smooth.

O- This is a great beer, especially considering the price. Definitely pick this one up if you come across it.

04-06-2013 02:52:01 | More by Buster
taez555

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Had this beer on tap at the horseshoe pub in Hudson MA.

Poured a clear tan body with a small off-white head.

Nose was amazing with a strong caramel malt, but loads of rye whiskey.

Taste is along the same lines. Big body, but not over the top. No hint whatsover this beer is 11%abv. Lots of absoultely delicous caramel and bready malt mixed with layers of rye whiskey. Flavor. Oak, mild touches of vanilla, some leather. Your typical barrel aged sort of flavor.

What an AMAZING beer. I could drink this all day. (Technically I did). :-) I really wish this was a full time brew from Boulevard. Awesome stuff. I ordered a second round, then went back later in the day to order a 3rd and 4th. Seriously, awesome beer.

04-06-2012 00:23:01 | More by taez555
mobyviacheslov

Washington

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

A - Thick root beer head. Cloudy, thick, rich amber color.
S - Citrus and malt jump out. Slight cinnamon and vegetable aromas emerge as well.
T - Bold but balanced, and delicious. Wood, red wine, caramel malt, orange, and vanilla. More flavors with each sip, but very balanced. The finish is a bit boozy, but it's not overpowering, and doesn't interfere with the more subtle flavors.
M - Pure velvet.
D - This is worth devoting a night to. One person, one 750ml bottle...taste it, enjoy it, and call it a night. I wasn't sure how to score the drinkability on this one. It is a stroonnnng beer, but it is supposed to be.
I started this guy in a balloon glass at about 55deg, and let it sit as I drank...took me about an hour and a half to fully enjoy this beer, and was therefore finishing it a room temperature. Quite a journey of a beer.

06-01-2010 02:41:23 | More by mobyviacheslov
Hopdaemon39

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a corked bomber into a corsendonk christmas chalice- pours a slightly hazy rusty reddish brown with a one finger head that quickly dissipated and left very light lacing.

Smells a LOT like whiskey- definitely get the booze, a very sharp rye smell, and a good amount of wood.

Taste is incredible- rye whiskey beer simply put. Sharp rye and alcohol burn at the beginning; the rye smoothes out into a sweet rye malt and finishes with a little earthy yeast, wood, and rye.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a light to moderate carbonation- alcohol warming and burn is a big part of this brew as it seems to be brewed to taste like rye whiskey. They did exceptionally well. Get this beer if you like whiskey!

04-22-2012 23:32:17 | More by Hopdaemon39
jgagne

Kentucky

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

A-deep ruby red color. Nice off white head. Beautiful looking beer.

S-wonderful smell permeates off this beer. Smells like you are walking into bourbon distillery. Intense vanilla, caramel, brown sugar aroma. Great stuff.

T-wonderful, sweet malty body. Great rye characteristics. Not as intense as most rye beers. Drinks more like a barleywine, which I really enjoy.

M-big heavy body. Great carb and really smooth.

O-I love Boulevard. There smokestack series is some of the best beers I have ever had. and this might be the best I have had yet. Highly recommended if you can get one.

Cheers!

11-04-2012 20:34:51 | More by jgagne
Spica66

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Received this as an extra from iasanlee. Thanks, Jason!!

Shared with gwuilliums at Camp Lawrence last night.

I let mine warm to room temperature to get the full effect of this beer before reviewing.

A: Copper/amber color with excellent head formation and retention. Nice lacing left behind as the glass is emptied.

S: Slightly boozy nose with the aroma of caramel and well-done bread. Very "fresh" smelling.

T: [I have never had rye whiskey or a rye beer, so this was uncharted territory for me.] Wonderful, spicy/fruity flavors on top of a bready/caramel malt base. There is a slight bitterness at the end that I cannot tell if it is from the hops or the rye, but it is wonderful.

M: Medium body. Very creamy and round mouthfeel. Perfect level of carbonation. The alcohol leaves just a very slightly dry finish that allows for the wonderful bitterness to take over.

D: Slam dunk as the easiest to drink high ABV beer that I have ever had. The alcohol is so hidden and the flavors so fresh and light that there is no doubt that this ranks a 5 (imo)!

This beer has been added to my Wants. I sure hop that they make it again!

12-20-2010 19:20:09 | More by Spica66
LiquidAmber

Washington

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a Black Raven pint glass. Pours a medium to dark red amber with ruby tones. Fine light tan head that slowly dissipated to a film and ring, leaving lacing. Light but delicious aroma of rye whisky, wood and dark malt. Wow, this is a great first taste. Complex flavor of whisky, wood, vanila, dark fruit and malt. The rye sourness appears fleetingly to keep things interesting. Finishes rich with the rye element coming out more, but combined with oaky wood and fruit. Only medium bodied, but still have a very nice creaminess and mouth feel. This is an outstanding beer. I wish it wasn't so high ABV because I had to force myself to pace this tasty rye. An exceptional beer and one I will buy every year.

05-08-2012 03:58:02 | More by LiquidAmber
mwilbur

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into NBB snifter. Bottle number 10324 of 12148.(batch 2010/1).
A: Pours a nice murky dark caramel brown with 2 inch bubbly tan head. Excellent retention. Decent lacing.
S: Spicy rye, bourbon, alcohol, soft caramel malt, and sweet smelling yeast.
T: Wow...spicy rye, whiskey, and bourbon all wrapped up in a big boozy wallop. Perfect melding of beer and whiskey. Phenomenal. Hint of vanilla and wood with warming.
M: Surprisingly smooth and silky feel. Just a hint of alcohol burn and tingle. Nice lingering and maturing on the palate...eventually all that's left is a faint and smooth whiskey note.
D: Amazingly drinkable given the ABV and the potentially overpowering flavor profile. One of the best in the Smokestack series to date. Hats off once again to Boulevard.

11/19/13:
Poured from 750 mL bottle into snifter. Bottle number 10128 of 12148 (batch 2010/1). Says best by 1/2013...we'll see how this held up.
A: Pours a dark, murky caramel brown with 1/4 inch tan head with good retention. A bit less vigorous with age (4).
S: Spicy rye, whiskey, and wood. A bit less here with age (3.75).
T: Still quite potent here...although it has definitely mellowed with age. Whiskey, spicy rye, vanilla, and wood. The big boozy wallop has turned into a gentle but persistent pressure (4).
M: Medium-heavy body. Smooth with a mild alcohol burn. Some sweetness throughout that becomes more prominent in the finish (4).
D: Definitely has lost a step with age, but not too bad for almost a year past the best by date. If you happen to have any left, drink it up...this will continue to fade (4).

11-07-2010 04:03:11 | More by mwilbur
WankelEngine

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a hazy brown-ruby color. There is a light tan head that fades quickly to a thin cap. Very light spotty lacing.

S: The first scent I get is whiskey barrel. Sweet vanilla follows with some dark malt and fruit.

T: Right off the bat I get whiskey and oak. Dark, sweet malt quickly comes to meet this. Burnt caramel, toffee and maybe molasses. Vanilla is still present but less powerful. There are dark fruit flavors of cherry, raisin and fig. The rye contributes some interesting spice and I can feel it in my nose when I exhale. This combines with some alcohol heat to create a hot, lingering but enjoyable aftertaste.

M: Medium-full bodied and fairly sticky. Alcohol heat is notable.

O: A fantastic, complex beer. So many flavors. The alcohol heat is notable but complements the whiskey flavor. Might want to age another one to take some of the heat off.

05-11-2012 04:27:43 | More by WankelEngine
Rye-on-Rye from Boulevard Brewing Co.