Dark Truth Stout - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Dark Truth StoutDark Truth Stout

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.70% ABV

Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 02-28-2010

Throughout the ages, man has been fascinated by the quest for hidden knowledge, the search for the secret to transforming the elemental into the extraordinary, the simple into the sublime. Ladies and gentlemen, we present for your consideration this exotic, inky concoction, the almost magical creation of our modern day alchemists who have turned humble grains—barley, wheat, rye, and oats—into black, liquid gold. Layers of complex flavors slowly emerge from the glass: espresso, roasted fig, crème brulée. Belgian yeast provides a plum-like fruitiness, noble German hops reveal spicy, herbal notes, while the rich, velvety mouthfeel mellows to a dry, smoky finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Truth Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 679 | Hads: 2,354

A. Aggressive poor Awesome reverse waterfall of brown bubbles. 2 inch of tan/brown head. No carbonation. Color is brow/black, looks delicious. 5
S. Instant wall of cocoa then roasted malt. Smell of alcohol is slightly over powering. 4.75
T. Stout, roasted malt, liquorish, cocoa, very light espresso, alcohol. 4.75
M. Thick creamy syrup, borderline chewy. 5
O. Very good. I’m going to cellar the rest of the 4 pack, I hope it keeps. One of the top IS I’ve had but then again RIS are my favorite style of beer. Very weak buzz for 9.7% ABV. The alcohol stays in the chest but in a good way.5

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

A+ /4.9
look 5 smell 5 taste 4.5 feel 5 drink 5
750mL batch 2010-1 poured into tulip shape

Went to grab a Boulevard Brewing Rye on Rye but it was gone so on a whim picked up a 750ml Dark Truth Stout #14 in the Smokestack series, 9.7% alcohol... I'm not an especially big Boulevard Belgian series guy so I was prepared to be underwhelmed or surprised by "something completely different". Opened up the bourgeois cork and cage seal and poured "the Truth" into a tulip style glass to start the show and ended up enthusiastically consuming the bottle with minimal restraint. Next day went back and got 3 more. Leaving as soon as I finish this to grab an additional 2 before they run out. Yikes! I'm addicted. What'll I do when it's gone. Clearly Boulevard is evolving and this stuff is mother's milk so I'm hoping they wrote down this recipe run and make some more.

Pours with a big head and takes time to settle, affording time for light conversation, leaves the glass with a pretty tan lace.

This ambrosia is a beautiful brown/black liquid with a sexy silky mouth feel. Small beautiful bubbles that hang around and regenerate with a swirl so they really got the carbonation right.

I prefer my fermented beverage temperature just right and as this stout(?) warmed the "Dark Truth" became apparent. Have to say that this hits my flavor profile at just the right place. Wonderful aromas of fig, roasted grains, maltiness; flavors of dark roast coffee, dark chocolate with just a bit of bitterness to spice things up and keep you anticipating another sip; wonderful rich dark choc o lot finish without that fauxchoc taste.

Wish this had been released in December as I don't want winter to be over just yet. Must stop drinking to go buy more. PS. Capped a bottle w/about 3/4 glass left and relived the sensory magic the next day in the daylight.

4.87/5  rDev +23.3%

Pours a thick thick black. There’s no seeing anything on the other side of this glass. It’s completely opaque. The head is miniscule and a chocolate brown with the consistency of a cappucino.
The smell is out of this world. I smell chocolate, old fruit, and a sweetness.
Now for the best part. The taste is astounding. Better than I expected from the smell, even. As anyone who’s read most of my ratings knows, I’m not a fan of hops. I think that in many beers, they’re overused. Now, the hops in this beer hit first. They play a noticeable role and they are definitely astringent, however they are present in jus the right amount. It is the perfect mix of hops, malt, and sweetness. It provides some astringency that allows the beer to be thick and dark without becoming cloyingly sweet. These are hops used right. As for the rest of it, it’s thick, malty and sweet just like a stout should be. It’s a bit thicker, stickier and sweeter than many stouts, almost like a cream stout, but it’s also pretty high in alcohol for a stout, so that’s not surprising. Man, what a great beer. I always thought that a stout high in alcohol would be a good idea. I was right. This stuff is absolutely delicious. Plus, I can’t even taste the high alcohol content. I almost find that disappointing, but this brew tastes so good, I can’t complain. Good job, Boulevard. You are a good brewing company, even if your irish reds aren’t quite up to par.

4.82/5  rDev +22%

Big big nose on this one! I get vanilla, a little cherry, and a woody character. I would guess that this is barrel aged, but I don't think it is. Excellent smell, especially if it isn't barrel aged, very impressed.

Dark Truth is as black as you can get. Highlights are a deep deep brown, but they are few and far between. The head is a dark mocha, like the foam you would find on hot chocolate, and it laces nicely for a 9+%ABV beer.

I get big roast on the midpalate and finish. Chocolate with slight caramel, like a Resin candy. I would swear that this is barrel aged, I get an almost bourbon quality coming off of this beer in the finish. Tastes amazing.

Moderate carbonation with a full but not syrupy body. Finishes a bit sweet, but that is to be expected, and it is delicious. A sipping beer to have with cheesecake for sure.

4.81/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

12oz bottles (many of them)

Exceptional beer. A perfect example of the imperial stout category; perfectly balanced roasted malts, well masked alcohol content but just enough to let you know it earns it's 9.7% labelling, not too sweet and not too bitter, the Belgian yeast provides a unique and winning flavor. This is an everyday drinker that is incredibly consistent from batch to batch.

This beer should probably command a much higher price than it does as it far outclasses many special release stouts which sell for 4 times as much. I can't help but think it would have a higher rating if it were bottled as such, but I'm certainly happy Boulevard offers Dark Truth as a reasonably priced 12oz 4-pack.

4.79/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look black with two finger head.
Smell some roast with a lot of Belgian yeast character coming through.
Taste drinks like a quad with a little bit of roast. Great Belgian stout.
Feel medium body, finishes really smooth.
Overall blend between a quad and a stout. If you like both styles pick it up.

4.78/5  rDev +21%

Fantastic beer. Was the first i've tried from the Boulevard Brewary and i'm very impressed. Nice mocha finish to it and pours nearly black. Was extremely shocked by the alcohol content after first tasting the beer, certainly does not taste like a stout that contains 9.7% alcohol.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

750 ml corked and caged bottle, poured into a my Smokestack tulip glass, quite appropriate. Tall and chunky head, the color of cola foam. Dark tan with a hint of red. Color is a dense cola brown. Light just skirts around the outer edges of the glass, I cannot see into the center.

Smell is a little light at first. It needs to warm up a little to expand. When at the right temperature there is a mild spiciness from the hops that lingers with a dark fruit sweetness. There are some plums, dried dark berries and fig leaves. Espresso bitterness comes in strong with the taste and then shifts to a ghostly raspberry tartness.

Mouthfeel is a little light for an Imperial Stout, but the complexity of flavors makes it an after thought. Carbonation is strong and keeps the flavors agitated. There are tons of layers here. It's easy enough to drink through, but slow down and really explore. Eye popping.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

In my short experience cellaring, this was the best experiment. I did not care too much for the fresh beer and left it in the back of my basement avoiding it. The beer was cellared for about 12 months, it was remarkable. One of the best beers I had in 2014. The Belgian yeast shows off, creating a complex layer of flavors, quite a treat. The ratings for the older version is 4.75 and 3.9 fresh.

4.74/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served in a snifter at cellar temperature.

I poured it really slowly, but couldn't stop this stout from accumulating a fantastically frothy three-finger mocha-brown head that's so thick it even formed a mound rising a bit above the rim of the glass. Few beers other than Duvel can accomplish such a feat. It's pretty dang black and thick-looking, too.

Molasses, rich chocolate of both the milk and dark varieties, roasty coffee, raisins, and some sweet berry fruitiness waft up seductively as I take a whiff of this brew. The aroma definitely has strong elements of both imperial stouts AND Belgian strong dark ales, which isn't surprising considering the Belgian yeast mentioned on the label. There might also be a bit of rye in the scent, or rather the dough of a dark bread made with said type of flour. I haven't even taken a sip yet, and this stuff is already intoxicating me.

Whoa. The flavor delivers the goods. More molasses and raisins, along with other dark fruits like figs, all cloaked in luscious dark chocolate and a delightfully smoky finish of earthy coffee. It's got the most excellent combination of everything I love about imperial stouts and Belgian strong dark ales. Chocolaty, fruity, spicy, bready, roasty, and just delectable.

The feel matches the flavors wonderfully. Carbonation is pretty lax, and the viscosity is thick, like the molasses I was mentioning.

An outstanding stout, without a doubt.

4.71/5  rDev +19.2%

Bought a 4-pack of 12oz bottles, freshness date 7/30/11. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- A pitch black body, with a beautiful 3 finger tan/mocha head. I can't ask for much more in the appearance of a stout. Looks great, can't wait to taste it.

S- Smell is a lot of chocolate, but it's subtle. There is almost a sour smell (like a sour fruit) with a deep inhale. Not at all off-putting, just difficult to detect. The smell is not as robust as I would have hoped, cold or warm.

T- The initial taste is initially a sting of yeast, but follows with bittersweet chocolate and coffee. Thankfully, the coffee is not overwhelming and makes for a nice mid-palate flavor. Malt and a slight alcohol burn (but not unpleasant at all) finish off this beer. Outside of the initial spike, this beer has a deep, robust flavor that I enjoyed, even after swallowing.

MF- Not too thick, but not exactly thin either. Honestly, I would have enjoyed it more had it been a touch more substantial. The carbonation is just right though, and it sticks with you.

D- the four pack I bought was well split between my friend and I. I could have easily drank more than two, but it wasn't necessary at all. The ABV is a little sneaky in this beer, you can taste the slight burn, but it's not overwhelming enough to let you know what is coming. I could easily drink 4 or more of these in a session as a stout fan.

While it isn't the best stout, I have a special place in my heart for Boulevard beers, and this is one of their best efforts. I was not disappointed at all, and as long as you go into this with realistic expectations (above average stout, but not the best) you will enjoy this beer thoroughly.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark walnut brown/black with one of the most mammoth heads I've ever seen on a beer. Brown head that lasts forever and laces thickly, though unevenly. This one gets a 5 from me by just how monstrous this beer's head is. Unreal.

S - Very earthy smelling, alcohol, smells a lot like dark rum. Dark chocolate malts. Infusing.

T - Very interesting flavors. Roasted chocolates, milky dark fruits, tree bark. One of the most unique flavor profiles I've ever encountered; it literally tastes like it was brewed in a smokehouse, in the presence of beef and pork. This one is interesting to the max.

M - Full-bodied, alcohol really comes through here. A little too carbonated for my sake but still TREMENDOUSLY SILKY.

D - This is a BOLD beer. This is the first brew I've tried from Boulevard and I'm very impressed by the risks they've taken here. There's a lot going on that differs from your regular imperial stout. It almost tastes like meat. I will definitely be getting this one again - phenomenal for fall and winter! - and I look forward to trying other beers from Boulevard! Spectacular introduction here.

PS: I imagine Tom Waits drinking this one!

4.7/5  rDev +19%

750mL batch 2010-1 bottle served into a snifter.

Pours into the snifter a succulent deep brown. Fine, its black. Inky, Imperial Stouty black. This is a Smokestack Series beer, so one expects a lot of head. Last year's limited-release Imperial Stout has a humongous head. Dark Truth (being nearly the same beer) follows suit with its three fingers worth of thick, creamy bright tan foam. It looks like a damn souffle on top of coffee! The viscosity seems to be respectable; the lacing just grips the sides of the snifter and chokes it into submission. You can't get a better looking stout than this; I hate to give so many Boulevard Smokestack Series beers a 4.5 or 5.0 in appearance but in truth they absolutely earn those scores.

"Holy fuggg...mmm" That is a quote from me, said audibly upon first whiff of Dark Truth Stout. It seems that I was taken aback by the surprise of the fruit aromas up front, began to curse, and then slipped into a reverie as the chocolate caught up with the fig, black cherry and grassy hop scents. That was one tremendous first sniff. Going back to the snifter I can pick out honest-to-goodness grapefruit from the lupulin. What kind of hoppy beast is this? As my hands warm the beer a bit the spicy quality of the rye opens up. Roasted barley malt differentiates itself from the rye and provides a stabilizing, familiar background. This is unreal.

On the tongue, Dark Truth first presents itself with traditional Impy Stout flavors. Light espresso and, not milk chocolate exactly, but more like Hershey's chocolate syrup combine effortlessly. In their wake the hops give some grassy, spicy, noble-hopped brightness on the top of the palate. This stout has a Belgian yeast strain and damn can you ever tell. Black currant, fig, maybe some star anise all provide a substantial fruit character to this stout. It already tastes like you are pairing it with dessert! On the finish the chocolate rears back and melds with the noble hops and the distinct taste of rye to make this ashy, leathery bitterness that finishes dry. This beer is fucking great.

The mouthfeel, while perfectly competent, is the closest thing that Dark Truth has to a setback. The beer looks, smells and tastes like it should be really thick in the mouth but this is much thinner than I expected. The relatively light body helps to carry the fruit flavors and its enjoyable on its merits but I do wish that the body was more substantial. Despite my qualms you can tell that oats were part of the grain bill from the creamy quality the beer has on your tongue. The drinkability is truly insane. It sits at just a shade under 10% ABV (9.7%) and the alcohol has been Houdini'd straight out of the bottle. No fusel alcohol smell or heat at all. The flavors and finish command subsequent sips which you are more than eager to oblige.

I had massive expectations for this beer, perhaps unfairly so. See, I LOVED last January's limited-release Imperial Stout from Boulevard. This is nearly the same beer; the major differences being that spelt is no long part of the multigrain grain bill and Imperial Stout had blended into it bourbon barrel aged version of the beer (Dark Truth contains no such bourbon barrel aging). I don't miss either aspect. Dark Truth absolutely meets my expectations. I bought ten bottles and I'm going to seek out more. People -- trade for this beer, I'm telling you! It isn't going to out-flavor the barrel-aged big'uns like Black Tuesday or Dark Lord but this is a refined, surprising, off-the-charts good imperial stout that deserves to be recognized and celebrated.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving type: Bottle with "Best by May 18, 2014." It was cold, but I let it warm a bit.

Appearance: Black. Deep space black. A finger of tan head follows a standard pour. Thick lacing in layers.

Smell: This is a super complex beer, and my nose isn't yet educated enough to do it justice. See the Bros.' opinion for that one. Rich, rich, rich.

Taste: Shit's earthy as hell! "Taste explosion" comes to mind. Bitter, but not overly, and boozy enough. Obvious bit of smoke too. The high ABV doesn't overpower this one. This is probably my second imperial stout ever, and the first one, I was too drunk to remember. Again, I've had lots of beer, and know what I like and don't, what's good and what isn't, but I'm still working on flavor education. Hell of a stout flavor...

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy, as it should be.

Overall: I am very happy I picked up this four pack at the grocery today. I'd been eyeing them every time I came in, and no one in my little town drinks the craft stuff, so there's dust all over that section. Stout fans should absolutely give this one a try. Very nice, warming winter beer.

4.69/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer. Pours pitch black with a thick tan head made of lots of tiny bubbles. Lots of fruit in the nose, not much cocoa, but it comes on full in the front of the taste, with the fruit following.

4.68/5  rDev +18.5%

Dark, heavy black with a thick brown head. I've had 3 (12 oz.) bottles of this now, and all of them have poured a massive head that stays throughout the entire beer with enormous amounts of lacing.

The smell on this reminds me of candied fruits, raisins being predominant. There's also a hint of coffee/chocolate, but the sweet candy takes over the nose.

There's a lot of complexity on this one, with bittersweet cocoa, espresso, dark fruit, and smoky oak all taking turns hitting the palate. The lingering flavor is definitely the smoky oak, but it doesn't overpower past the first sip.

Silky smooth creaminess that's possibly due to the massive head that's retained throughout every one of these I've had. Just viscous enough to remind you its a stout, creamy enough to accentuate the right flavors.

This beer only shows a hint of the almost 10% ABV, and the creaminess just leaves you wanting more after every sip. If you are a malty guy, this beer is close to heaven. I originally bought a single bottle of this because of the flashy artwork on the bottle, and because I knew Boulevard as a brewery with the potential for some outstanding brews (and a few flops.) After 3 of these bad boys, I'm completely sold - this has taken the crown from Ten Fidy as my favorite Imperial Stout, and its one I'll be buying for as long as I can find it.

4.65/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours a rich, opaque sable with a very thick and rather persistent yellowish-tan head. Nose-filling aroma has tones of chocolate, quality coffee, fresh-cut wood and molasses along with hints of caramel and licorice. Fabulous flavor is rather sweet but not cloying, like mocha made from excellent coffee and fine chocolate. A woody overtone provides a little hoppy bitterness to offset the sweet flavor, and hints of caramel, molasses and licorice round out the lip-smacking flavor. Texture has substantial body and a fair amount of tingle, Finish is fizzy and has chocolate and woody tones. Recommended!

4.62/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Deep, lush, velvety brown. Two finger tan head.

Smell: Chocolate, coffee

Taste: Coffee, caramel, hints of chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Slightly on the thick side. Bubbly.

Overall: Outstanding beer. Delicious. Pleasing to all the senses. Bold and demure all at once.

4.61/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours espresso dark with a finger of dark brown head that clings to the glass. Aroma is subdued at first, but strengthens as the glass empties and warms. Smells like dark roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Some roasted malt is also present.

Taste is also intensly roasted and toasted with semi-sweet chocolate. A touch smokey. Maybe some dried dark fruit. The chocolate turns milky by the end of the glass. Mouthfeel is very creamy, light in carbonation. A nice, heavy body. There's no burn of alcohol in the taste, but a noticeable, pleasent warmth in the chest and stomach.

This is a great entry from Boulevard's Smokestack Series. A definite sipper with a pleasent warmth to remind you of what you're drinking. I drizzled a few teaspoons of this over a slice of chocolate cake that had gone a little dry, and it did wonders for it.

4.59/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is quite a good stout, one of the most complex beers from Boulevard for sure.

A: Very dark, as the marketing says ("inky") with a thin, caramel-ish head.
S: Mostly espresso, with some hops, unlike most stouts I've tried.
T: This is where it shines. You would never know it's 9.7% because the delicately balanced flavors of roasted coffee, fruitiness, and hops take over. Smooth, but with just enough of a bite.
F: Goes down fairly easy, but it's substantial. Full bodied on the entry, a bit dry on the finish.

O: Fantastic beer. I would recommend this to anyone who's a fan of stouts or porters, since it takes the best things about that style of beer and amplifies them.

4.59/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pitch black. Poured a huge creamy head with not so aggressive pour.

S- Plum, cherry, dark chocolate and oats. Seems to be a touch of banana around the edges as well.

T- Plum, dark cherry, espresso, and caramel up front. Big char and spicy, earthy hops follow. That unique spicy/sour rye flavor is there as well. Bittersweet chocolate and smoke on the finish. Slight bourbon-like quality. I occasionally got a very noticeable fig flavor in the aftertaste.

M- Medium body. Creamy and smooth.

O- This was a damn good beer. The more you drank, the more you knew how much work was put into it. Aromas moved around, the flavors shifted delicately from sip to sip, and the mouthfeel was smooth and lightly viscous. I would have again in a heartbeat.

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

OOOHHH SH%T! What an awesome STOUT! I love chocloate stouts that have a creamy smooth body...kinda like the way I like my women! But I digress....The color is dark...like dark chocolate, the head is tan and creamy which yield a nice lace. The aroma is a mix of sweet chocolate and booze! The high ABV detracts from teh mouthfeel, but it is a very good beer. No way to session this bad boy unless you want a huge hang-over. Try this beer with some chocolate, brownie or cookie....BOOOYA!

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into bordeaux glass.
Best by 7/20/11

Aroma: Surprising fresh-cut green grass hop aroma appears first. Then powdered hot cocoa, dark chocolate, and vinous cabernet sauvignon. A deep, complex aroma that quickly evolves.

Appearance: Dark dark brown opaque espresso body. Two-fingered dark tan head settles to a persistent layer of hot cocoa-like foam. Light lacing remains on the inside of the glass

Flavor: Dark chocolate roast and fudge brownie sweetness balance more to the malt, but there's enough hoppy bitterness to keep the beer from being cloying and one-dimensional. The label mentions plum flavor, and I definitely caught this. (although, it's more of a dried plum flavor) Dark chocolate bitterness on the back of the tongue, and a welcomed subtle smokiness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Full body with rich, creamy carbonation, and an enjoyable flash of peppery heat at the finish.

Overall: This was a great one! I loved the complexity of the aroma and flavor, the balance between the malt and hops, and the brewer's ability to create a >9% ABV brew where the beer dominates the alcohol profile and not the other way around. Excellent job, Boulevard!

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured into a pint glass. Body is black with a half inch tan head. With a lot of lacing all down the glass the glass.

S: A lot of roasty malt and fruit - think plums or red grapes.

T: Chocolate malt, dark fruits (plums again come to mind), a hint of molasses all on top of a decently roasted malt foundation. Heat from ABV is noted on the back of the palate and on the way down. As it warms, more chocolate - think dark dark hot chocolate on a winter night.

M: Active carbonation that's real fizzy in feel. Intriguing and makes it drink "lighter" than your standard Double imperial stout.

O: Interesting Imperial Stout. I REALLY ENJOY this stout, roasty and chocolatey.

Serving type: bottle poured into a pint glass

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

Snifter Night! Purchased 12oz bottle (only one available here) of this from Lukas Liquor in Ellisville, MO for $3.49. Poured from the 12oz bottle in my Schlafly Snifter glass. Has a BEST BY 07/30/11 engraved on the top of the glass.

Appearance- Has a darkest brown color body with a 3 finger of micro bubbles and tan head that keeps around 1 finger for almost the whole drink. Nice dark lacing that covers almost every part of the glass!

Aroma- Very roasty with a chocolate/cherry smell and then sour cherries on the back end.

Taste- Starts off roasty (like the smell) and has a deep cherry stout flavor! Coffee takes over in mid-drink and can taste a smoke characteristic that keeps it very interesting. At the end, a prune taste is present. Nice layers of attributes!

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Good Carbonation, and leaves a roasted coffee flavor on the palate (no cherry though!).

Overall- Nice stout by Boulevard! Part of the Smokestack Series, I enjoyed this one thoroughly. Could have another as well! Very strange attributes with the sour aroma and cherry taste. Will like to have again.

Dark Truth Stout from Boulevard Brewing Co.