Dark Truth Stout - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Dark Truth StoutDark Truth Stout

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.70% ABV

Throughout the ages, man has been fascinated by the quest for hidden knowledge, the search for the secret to transforming the elemental into the extraordinary, the simple into the sublime. Ladies and gentlemen, we present for your consideration this exotic, inky concoction, the almost magical creation of our modern day alchemists who have turned humble grains—barley, wheat, rye, and oats—into black, liquid gold. Layers of complex flavors slowly emerge from the glass: espresso, roasted fig, crème brulée. Belgian yeast provides a plum-like fruitiness, noble German hops reveal spicy, herbal notes, while the rich, velvety mouthfeel mellows to a dry, smoky finish.

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 02-28-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Truth Stout Alström Bros

1.08/5  rDev -72.8%

1.12/5  rDev -71.8%

1.98/5  rDev -50.1%

12oz bottle picked up at Whip In of Austin in April, so this bottle is about 7 or 8 months old. I think I picked up a four pack for around $9. Poured into a New Belgium snifter.

Appearance (5): Very dark brown with reddish-brown around the edges. An aggressive pour produced about three fingers of dark creme colored head. This settles to a pretty thick layer and leave a thick coating of lace all the way around the glass.

Aroma (2): Dark, dark roasted malts and a weird soy aroma. The soy mixes with ethanol and isn't very pleasant at all. The chocolate and mocha notes are there if you dig, but the booziness dominates.

Taste (1.5): Surprisingly thin and watery for its ABV and devoid of the strong, roasty flavors I expect. I drink some water to make sure it's not me, but that doesn't help. I don't remember it being like this fresh either, so perhaps this is a bad bottle (?). Dark chocolate up front which gives way quickly to an overwhelming heat (and that soy again) that leaves gasoline on my breath. The finish is nice and roasty with a touch of char, but this only kicks in several seconds after the burn subsides. A touch of pine as well makes this the most enjoyable part, but this just does not taste right.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Fairly smooth and light. Medium to heavy bodied and medium carbonation. Probably not as heavy as I would expect and definitely higher carbonation.

Overall (2): Pretty disappointing as the owner of Whip In hyped this beer to me and the first two bottles fresh weren't nearly as bad (iirc). Maybe it just doesn't age well (?) or my palatte is just off today. I'll re-visit this in a couple months with the last bottle and change my review if necessary.

I'm not gonna say too much about this. I drank all 4 in the pack hoping it'd warm up to me, it didn't. Way, way, way too sweet. I don't find it very deep either, though as stated on the label it does finish with a slight smokey feel and flavor. To me, it hits me with so much VERY sweet raisin/black currant that I can't enjoy this. It's very sugary and rich and I feel like if I dropped a bit on my computer desk it'd be sticky within 20 minutes. Something about this beer is very viscous. It's incredibly rich like a good stout, but somehow doesn't taste like one. Anyway, just my opinion. I'm glad everyone else enjoyed it enough.

2.23/5  rDev -43.8%

Poured super, super, super foamy, took forever to settle enough even to drink. Enormous Head, actually to much.

The smell was thin and one dimensional, just a dark grain quality. Really lacking in the aroma.

The taste is very flat, a big burnt malt base with a dark green fresh hop flavor, just sort of a big burnt hop taste, not balanced, not complex, very underwhelming. The more I drink the more a light underlying sweetness comes through, buts to little to late.

The mouthfeel is very thin and watery.

Very mediocre, especially for the ridiculous price tag.

2.23/5  rDev -43.8%

batch 2010-1

pours dark dark ruby brown with a huge 4+ finger head that has good retention and left lacing all over the glass

smell - almost none - watery some fruity malt?

taste just slightly better then the nose - some roasted and chocolate malts along the tangy fruity malts - but overall a complete watery mess

mouthfeel is way over carbonated - it feels like i am swallowing all foam

drinkability is bad - i will never drink this again and i think they should stop making it

2.25/5  rDev -43.3%

2.38/5  rDev -40.1%

One of 3 smokestacks sent to me by BedetheVenerable.

A- I literally said out loud "these smokestack beers always have a huge, huge head". At just that very moment a massive head comprised of fairly large bubbles rushed up. In many cases I find this sort of thing to be desirable, but with an imperial stout thats a different story. In this case it screams over carbonated and thin body.

S- Uh, wait... what? I havent washed this glass with soap, ever. So why does this smell like a used pan half washed out with dish soap? Burnt food, soap and some grape soda.

T- The taste is some what of a redeeming quality, but the beer advocate scale only has half points. Grape soda, roasted malts, some hops, I think, and glue. The flavors of some sort of "charcoal tea" linger and build on the palate.

M- Back to that huge head. I was right to think that it was a harbinger of over carbonation to come.

D- Bleck. This is like an amalgam of grape soda, burnt food and dish soap. It reminds me of concocting things in the kitchen as a kid and daring my friends to eat it.

B+ in the Imperial Stout category actually converts to about a D, so I think Im being generous.

2.42/5  rDev -39%

750ml caged and corked bottle(batch 2010-1 best by 1/13) courtesy of my pal, russpowell. Thanks Russ!

The cork was not a problem to remove so...it pours a pitch black with a 3 finger head of tan foam.

The smell is nice with lots of roasted malt and dark fruits with side notes of coffee and dark chocolate.

The taste starts off roasty with some coffee and dark fruitiness, the latter of which comes off as really tart bordering on sour. Hmmm..I didn't expect that and I don't openly welcome it. There's some good smokiness and hop bitterness now and they kind of counteract the sourness but not enough to put a smile on my face. This is a very *weird* brew as there is no harmony at all with the flavours.

No complaints about the mouthfeel as the body and carbo are done right.

Drinkability? Setting aside the fact that this is 9.7%abv, this is by far the hardest to drink beer I've ever had from Boulevard. Now my decision is, finish drinking it or pour it down the drain.

2.48/5  rDev -37.5%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours black with a small tan head, poor head retention, no lace.

S: Dark fruit and soy, the Belgian yeast influence is clear.

T: Roasted malt, some light dark chocolate. Overall a cloying, plummy raisiny soy like flavour, that in a way tastes more like a BSDA than an Imperial Stout.

M: Medium-bodied, cloying sugar, a tad boozy, crisp carbonation character that gets fizzy at the end.

O: For me a poor example of an Imperial Stout, the beer simply was never interesting and left me wanting. Even at the low price point this is a pass.

2.5/5  rDev -37%

Dark Truth Stout from Boulevard Brewing Co.