2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Truth Stout - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Dark Truth StoutDark Truth Stout

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.70% ABV

Throughout the ages, man has been fascinated by the quest for hidden knowledge, the search for the secret to transforming the elemental into the extraordinary, the simple into the sublime. Ladies and gentlemen, we present for your consideration this exotic, inky concoction, the almost magical creation of our modern day alchemists who have turned humble grains—barley, wheat, rye, and oats—into black, liquid gold. Layers of complex flavors slowly emerge from the glass: espresso, roasted fig, crème brulée. Belgian yeast provides a plum-like fruitiness, noble German hops reveal spicy, herbal notes, while the rich, velvety mouthfeel mellows to a dry, smoky finish.

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 02-28-2010)
View: Beers (44) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Truth Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,604 | Reviews: 570 | Show All Ratings:
grover37

District of Columbia

1.98/5  rDev -50.1%

12oz bottle picked up at Whip In of Austin in April, so this bottle is about 7 or 8 months old. I think I picked up a four pack for around $9. Poured into a New Belgium snifter.

Appearance (5): Very dark brown with reddish-brown around the edges. An aggressive pour produced about three fingers of dark creme colored head. This settles to a pretty thick layer and leave a thick coating of lace all the way around the glass.

Aroma (2): Dark, dark roasted malts and a weird soy aroma. The soy mixes with ethanol and isn't very pleasant at all. The chocolate and mocha notes are there if you dig, but the booziness dominates.

Taste (1.5): Surprisingly thin and watery for its ABV and devoid of the strong, roasty flavors I expect. I drink some water to make sure it's not me, but that doesn't help. I don't remember it being like this fresh either, so perhaps this is a bad bottle (?). Dark chocolate up front which gives way quickly to an overwhelming heat (and that soy again) that leaves gasoline on my breath. The finish is nice and roasty with a touch of char, but this only kicks in several seconds after the burn subsides. A touch of pine as well makes this the most enjoyable part, but this just does not taste right.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Fairly smooth and light. Medium to heavy bodied and medium carbonation. Probably not as heavy as I would expect and definitely higher carbonation.

Overall (2): Pretty disappointing as the owner of Whip In hyped this beer to me and the first two bottles fresh weren't nearly as bad (iirc). Maybe it just doesn't age well (?) or my palatte is just off today. I'll re-visit this in a couple months with the last bottle and change my review if necessary.

11-29-2011 02:16:53 | More by grover37
bashiba

Iowa

2.23/5  rDev -43.8%

Poured super, super, super foamy, took forever to settle enough even to drink. Enormous Head, actually to much.

The smell was thin and one dimensional, just a dark grain quality. Really lacking in the aroma.

The taste is very flat, a big burnt malt base with a dark green fresh hop flavor, just sort of a big burnt hop taste, not balanced, not complex, very underwhelming. The more I drink the more a light underlying sweetness comes through, buts to little to late.

The mouthfeel is very thin and watery.

Very mediocre, especially for the ridiculous price tag.

03-15-2010 22:11:24 | More by bashiba
jsh420

2.23/5  rDev -43.8%

batch 2010-1

pours dark dark ruby brown with a huge 4+ finger head that has good retention and left lacing all over the glass

smell - almost none - watery some fruity malt?

taste just slightly better then the nose - some roasted and chocolate malts along the tangy fruity malts - but overall a complete watery mess

mouthfeel is way over carbonated - it feels like i am swallowing all foam

drinkability is bad - i will never drink this again and i think they should stop making it

04-07-2010 02:11:07 | More by jsh420
MbpBugeye

2.38/5  rDev -40.1%

One of 3 smokestacks sent to me by BedetheVenerable.

A- I literally said out loud "these smokestack beers always have a huge, huge head". At just that very moment a massive head comprised of fairly large bubbles rushed up. In many cases I find this sort of thing to be desirable, but with an imperial stout thats a different story. In this case it screams over carbonated and thin body.

S- Uh, wait... what? I havent washed this glass with soap, ever. So why does this smell like a used pan half washed out with dish soap? Burnt food, soap and some grape soda.

T- The taste is some what of a redeeming quality, but the beer advocate scale only has half points. Grape soda, roasted malts, some hops, I think, and glue. The flavors of some sort of "charcoal tea" linger and build on the palate.

M- Back to that huge head. I was right to think that it was a harbinger of over carbonation to come.

D- Bleck. This is like an amalgam of grape soda, burnt food and dish soap. It reminds me of concocting things in the kitchen as a kid and daring my friends to eat it.

B+ in the Imperial Stout category actually converts to about a D, so I think Im being generous.

11-06-2010 04:41:45 | More by MbpBugeye
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.42/5  rDev -39%

750ml caged and corked bottle(batch 2010-1 best by 1/13) courtesy of my pal, russpowell. Thanks Russ!

The cork was not a problem to remove so...it pours a pitch black with a 3 finger head of tan foam.

The smell is nice with lots of roasted malt and dark fruits with side notes of coffee and dark chocolate.

The taste starts off roasty with some coffee and dark fruitiness, the latter of which comes off as really tart bordering on sour. Hmmm..I didn't expect that and I don't openly welcome it. There's some good smokiness and hop bitterness now and they kind of counteract the sourness but not enough to put a smile on my face. This is a very *weird* brew as there is no harmony at all with the flavours.

No complaints about the mouthfeel as the body and carbo are done right.

Drinkability? Setting aside the fact that this is 9.7%abv, this is by far the hardest to drink beer I've ever had from Boulevard. Now my decision is, finish drinking it or pour it down the drain.

05-08-2010 18:19:51 | More by Bitterbill
Halcyondays

2.48/5  rDev -37.5%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours black with a small tan head, poor head retention, no lace.

S: Dark fruit and soy, the Belgian yeast influence is clear.

T: Roasted malt, some light dark chocolate. Overall a cloying, plummy raisiny soy like flavour, that in a way tastes more like a BSDA than an Imperial Stout.

M: Medium-bodied, cloying sugar, a tad boozy, crisp carbonation character that gets fizzy at the end.

O: For me a poor example of an Imperial Stout, the beer simply was never interesting and left me wanting. Even at the low price point this is a pass.

10-23-2012 20:47:23 | More by Halcyondays
codewarrior

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Cork and Caged 750mL Bomber into a Chalice. Batch 2010-1, Best by of January, 2013.

Was on sale for $6, and I LOVE Boulevard Smokestack bottles, so I picked it up, first major let-down in the series.

A: Pretty dark, as things go. An absurd amount of head. Took 5 attempts at pouring to fill my 16oz snifter without overflow. Absurd.

S: Crisp with a ton of booze. Lots of licorice and something else ... nailpolish remover? Very odd smelling stout, and I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

T: Yup, I don't like it. The front and the back are smokey caramel and are quite salvageable. The central vein (which ultimately destroys the finish as well) is naked booze with a touch of cough-syrup, licorice and acetone.

F: Hella-thick, but massively over-carbonated.

D: Not for me. A rare fail for Boulevard. This was such a huge miss that I wasn't even sure what they set out to achieve.

11-09-2010 06:14:53 | More by codewarrior
snilsen13

2.6/5  rDev -34.5%

This is a negative review. As a regular beer consumer, home brewer and general beer nut I know ONE THING. Two 10%ers will not give me a hangover. UNLESS those two 10%ers are were loaded with too much or really terrible sugars to ferment.

As tasty and quaffable as this beer was, it is UNJUSTLY tormenting my skull this morning and I would like to just say THAT SUCKS!!!

Why am I not surprised. I got 4 strong beers for under $10. While this is sometimes a good deal (in MA), in this case it was not.

Crap quality underscores this deceptive beer. AVOID.

01-20-2012 18:38:51 | More by snilsen13
KarlosT

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Had this beer at the Amesbury Beer Festival on Sep 22 2012.

Most of the beers were served from bottles into small 3oz plastic pixie cups.

Although I took notes on the 20+ different beers that I tried, it is difficult to remember all of the details associated with each beer. My apologies to readers of these notes. However, I did pay attention to my overall scores, and noted what I thought were unique positives and negatives w/ each beer.

Note that for me:
< 2.5 = probably would not finish the beer
3.0 = drinkable beer, but likely would not buy again or look for
>3.5 = will try to buy again in the future

Love imperial stouts. But I'm not a fan of belgian beers, and the spice that it tends to add.

Bottle label is very cool. And the description is wonderful:
Belgian yeast provides a plum like fruitiness. with layers of espresso, roasted fig, reme brules, and spicy, herbal notes.

09-23-2012 14:57:26 | More by KarlosT
sweemzander

2.63/5  rDev -33.8%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to kstrickler for this one! Best by 01/2013.

(A)- Pours a thick and pitch black color that produced a great tan colored fluffy head that stuck around for awhile. Plenty of lacing here and there.

(S)- Some light dry roasted characters. Woody. Raisin and molasses/cocoa. Hints of a peanut-like nuttiness.

(T)- It has a malty rich backbone. Bits of raisin, molasses, and cocoa with that same peanut-like aspect from the smell that is becoming a bit overpowering.

(M)- A good carbonation level. A good malty background with a mellow sweetness. That peanut-like nutty character is really annoying in this.

(D)- A good stout, but that peanut butter like creamy nut thing really throws off the flavor in my opinion.

11-22-2010 18:49:28 | More by sweemzander
corby112

2.63/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours a dark chocolate brown that appears black in the glass with a two finger, frothy beige head that very slowly fades into a lasting cap/ring. Sporadic streaks of lacing left behind.

Slightly smokey roasted malt aroma with a subtle earthy hop presence that counters the dark malt and chocolate. Hints of dark chocolate, toast, rye, oatmeal and some dark fruit.

Thinner bodied than expected, slightly watered down with soft carbonation up front and a deeply roasted malt character that provides a lingering bitterness. Hints of burnt toast, oatmeal, dark chocolate and coffee bean. There's also some rye sweetness along with some subtle dark fruit notes. The ABV is well masked but this beer is a bit one- dimensional and boring.

01-02-2012 06:17:19 | More by corby112
tigg924

2.68/5  rDev -32.5%

Appearance: black in color with 1/3 inch head, opaque, medium-high carbonation

Smell: roasted malt and Bosco

Taste: creamy start, burnt malt and dark coffee middle with black licorice, dark fruit, and small alcohol burn at the end

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, medium carbonation, bitter with slight sweetness

Overall: This one was a bit of a disappointment. It is my least favorite from Boulevard and probably the only one I would not buy again. This is not a bad beer, but not on the same level as the others in the Smokestack series. I do not think the flavors jump as much here as some of their other beers. Those who like stouts, this is worth a try, but is not my cup of tea.

02-01-2012 13:28:03 | More by tigg924
isualum12

Idaho

2.73/5  rDev -31.2%

Picked up the 750 with caged cork. Really cool looking bottle. I have been decently impressed with Boulvard up to this point so I grabbed this bottle for a good price.

Batch 2010-1, Best by of January, 2013.

A: Really dark. A 3 finger head. Couldn't pour a 16 with out some crazy overflow with out being really careful. This was a.OK. with me.

S: It is rich with a medical alchol smell almost. I can smell the bourbon in it as well.

T: First impression was gross. I was really surprised. It is accually the carbonization and aftertaste that gets me. I really was not to excited after first taste. Their is a strong smoke flavor coming through on the ring of flavor. Caramel comes in light.

F: massively over-carbonated.

D: wouldn't go out of my way for another bottle, just not for me.

03-26-2011 00:56:53 | More by isualum12
Dcmpres

2.74/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Jet black with rocky tan head that leaves spotty lacing throughout.

S: Expresso, tobacco and herbal aroma's.

T: Burnt coffee, dark molasses and hint spiced dark fruit carry on to a dry talc-like finish.

M: Medium bodied, but lacks any complexity due to its high astringency. I get the sensation that I just smoked a hot cheap cigar.

O: This beer shows more of its belgian yeast complexity and drinkability when it is consumed on the warmer side, but didn't impress me to say the least.

02-28-2013 03:00:56 | More by Dcmpres
Alieniloquium

2.88/5  rDev -27.5%

12 oz. bottle to a Kate the Great snifter. Best by 10/29/2011.

Appearance - Black with a sizeable head. Good retention and even some lacing. Decent looking stout.

Smell - Chocolate and a bunch of weird aromas. Different esters, presumably from the Belgian yeast. Fruits and even a lactose aroma. The aroma has depth, but not all of it is good.

Taste - There's an acidic component to this that persists throughout the entire flavor. I'd call it a bit of lactic sour, but I'm not really sure. It's not dominant, but definitely present. Chocolate is still the most dominant, but lots of weird flavors come through again. Strong coffee flavor and bitterness throughout. Yeasty byproducts that come off as fruit and somewhat unpleasant acids.

Mouthfeel - Bitter and slightly tangy. Faint, but unpleasant nonetheless. Perhaps it's a bad bottle, I don't know. Well carbonated.

Overall - Bad bottle? No idea. It's not that off for me to think infection, but there's a lot of off flavors. Maybe they're just from the yeast. Maybe I'll have this again and change my mind.

06-27-2012 03:54:59 | More by Alieniloquium
Blakaeris

Iowa

2.9/5  rDev -27%

Pours very dark brown, almost black with a massively foamy head. Huge globs of sticky lacing.

Aroma is musty charred dark grain and herbal hop.

Taste is similar to the nose with a burnt malt smokey bitterness. Coffee and sweet dark fruit make an appearance but seem overshadowed burnt quality. Finish holds more of the herbal hop from the nose and a lingering chocolate sweetness that doesn't quite work with the rest of the flavors.

Mouthfeel is light-medium in body. Unusually thin for a stout.

The Smokestack series has been great so far. However this offering was underwhelming. This stout was average, when I was expecting a really full and rich flavor.

03-15-2010 22:19:55 | More by Blakaeris
jjanega08

2.93/5  rDev -26.2%

A= Pours a pitch black color with an enourmous head!!!! Possibly a gusher if I didn't pour right away. The head takes over the glass rising over 4 fingers. The heads color is a nice mocha color. The retention luckily isn't that great but it's still nice. The head dies down a little so I don't have to take a couple swigs of foam.

S= The smell is somewhat neutral. Sort of smell some typical stout smells but that may be just because I expect them. The smell isn't offensive so I can't say it's bad but it isn't really there.

T= Pretty basic taste to it. There is some chocolate roast and coffee flavors. The taste is not as intense as I'm use to. Really quite calm. There is a little bit of a grainy taste that isn't typical of most Impy stouts.

M= Over carbonated. Not the smoothest drink I've had for an Imperial stout.

D= What the hell? I'm pretty dissapointed. This is really a let down for the smokestack series. This was the most average tame stout I've ever tasted. A let down for sure.

03-25-2010 03:06:03 | More by jjanega08
drewba

2.95/5  rDev -25.7%

A - Deep dark brownish black with a giant fluffy tan head with a ton of retention. The lacing is fluffy as well. It really does look exceptional.

S - Roast and nail polish remover. That's it. Disappointing.

T - Huge amount of roast, ash and peat. Like, huge. Those flavor combos hit immediately, hang on the tongue and go long into the finish. This There is a fair amount of chocolate (most dark chocolate, which is adding some bitterness), honey, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon spice and leather.

M - viscous, great carbonation, a touch chalky but overall very satisfying.

O - This is a bold and beefy beer, but ultimately not quite my cup of tea.

06-10-2011 01:52:14 | More by drewba
birchstick

Colorado

2.98/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A -pours as dark as the truth it claims to be with a nice chocolaty head that lingers around for a while.

S - deep, dark chocolates and toffee are most dominant with support from spicy dark fruits. Awesome nose, can't wait to try it!

T - whoa, a lot different than I had anticipated from the nose. It starts off very sweet and citrusy. Following this are tart green apples and pears. Is this an imperial stout? Wait for it...burnt chocolate malts arrive on the scene to rescue this beer from its identity crises. It finishes with spritzy and spicy hops and a lot of luxurious dark chocolates with a nice undertone of coffee. I wasn't expecting this at all - not bad, but certainly different.

M - tons of carbonation with a medium body. Not what I would expect from an imperial stout.

D - I really don't know how I feel about this beer. I feel like it had nice complexity, but the flavors didn't seem to mesh well for me. If the citrus flavors were toned down and the chocolates turned up this would be an awesome stout. Not that this was bad, but I think I'll grab something else from the smokestack series next time.

01-06-2011 01:53:54 | More by birchstick
falloutsnow

From: Binny's, Champaign, IL
Date: Best by 2014-11-09
Glass: Tulip

Boulevard's Dark Truth stout is an imperial version of a stout recipe fermented with a Belgian yeast, leading to expressive ethanol and prune ester flavors, with strong remnants of bitter char and burned toast. Without a counterbalancing sweetness, the beer is a bit two-dimensional, and the ethanol a bit too strong flavor-wise, even after being aged for several months, for my enjoyment. Not a bad imperial stout, but not the right flavor combination for me and not one I'd return to.

Pours a 2cm tall head of tan-colored foam, made up of small-sized bubbles, creating a frothy appearance with average retention of about one minute, eventually fading to a thin ring of foam around the perimeter of the glass. Lacing is excellent, with heavy honeycomb-like patterns clinging to the walls of the glass. Body is a dark brown to black color, with light bringing out slightly lighter brown-orange-black hues along the edges of the beer. Carbonation is visible along the sides of the glass, but not through the opaque body, high in number and activity.

Aroma is surprisingly mild, with moderate cocoa followed by light prune and slight sweetness. Not bad, but timid, fairly boring.

Overall flavor palette consists of ethanol, substantial black malt leading to heavy char and burnt toast flavor, cocoa, alcohol-soaked prunes and faint sweetness. Front of palate is of light caramel-like sweetness with char and burnt toast flavors, a touch of ethanol, anise, and slight acridity from roasted malts. Mid-palate of roasted malts, including heavy use of very dark malts (English black patent?), that bring out charred toast and a bit of cocoa, mixed with prune, ethanol, anise, and light bitterness from roasted malts. Back of palate tastes ethanol, anise, charred toast, light cocoa, alcohol-soaked prunes, and light bitterness. Aftertaste is of burnt toast, char, light smoke, a bit of cacao nib and burnt coffee bean, and lingering ethanol (probably the best-tasting part of this beer).

Beer is medium to medium-heavy in body, with carbonation of high intensity, resulting in a fizzy, then fully foamy mouthfeel. A bit overcarbonated for the style. Ethanol felt as a slight burn on the palate and back of throat, very little warmth in nostrils, though; ethanol fairly well integrated and hidden in beer. Closes dry, with heavy stickiness clinging to the palate and lips.

01-20-2014 06:27:10 | More by falloutsnow
hopluva1

Washington

3.05/5  rDev -23.2%

12oz. bottle into a snifter @ 50*

Pours very dark brown/black with a nice 2 finger tan head that sticks around.
Aroma is roasted malt first, then the dark fruits. It reminds me of a Belgian dubbel.

Flavor is prominent Belgian fruitiness with a good roasted backbone. It is a fairly simple stout that relies on the Belgian yeast for its complexity.
I was looking forward to trying this beer. I love a good stout, but am not a huge fan of Belgians. I am disappointed in this beer, but allot of that is personal preference.

06-04-2011 02:51:50 | More by hopluva1
Lledd

3.05/5  rDev -23.2%

12oz bottle into Hill Farmstead snifter ;) I let this beer sit out for about 20 minute to warm. That's how I like stouts.

A: Pitch black, looks thick. Big head even with a gentle pour. I couldn't fit the whole bottle in the glass.

S: Banana bread up front big time. Nutty, walnuts. It sounds weird, but if I really focus on the aroma, it almost smells like a dairy freezer, like in a super market. Maybe a bit of dark rum.

T: The banana bread from the aroma is in the taste too. The nutty aroma comes through in the taste as a must, not wonderful, but not the dominant flavor. Slightly boozy on the backend. Bitter, hoppy finish, burnt oats.

M: Carbonation is fine. Body is thick. It's a little less smooth than other stouts.

O: I'm not crazy about this stout. The aftertaste is funky, the booze isn't masked well, and the mouthfeel is a little harsh for the style. The aroma was definitely the best part of this beer.

04-24-2013 02:27:00 | More by Lledd
harrymel

Washington

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Batch 2010-1, Best by 01/13
Poured to NB globe.

A: Pours a deep black stout with single finger head which retires leaving half as much in a latte color. The beer retains the head throughout the life. Thick, resounding lacing.

S: Dark, cocoa, malts, coffee. Moderate hints of copper smell which is a hare offsetting. Hint of lacto smell. Cautious about tasting this one...

T: Dark, dry, malty beer. Hints of licorice, anise, malts, cocoa, espresso. Okay, the perception earlier of lacto (I believe) was the belgian yeast showing through. It's a good flavor, but not the best as far as IS's. Rye adds a woody flavor here.

M: Thick, viscous, sticky beer. Nice, moderate carbonation. Heavy body.

D: I would rather have shared this with others. Not great. I think the I am disappointed in the yeast addition to this beer.

02-22-2011 23:31:27 | More by harrymel
biglite351

3.1/5  rDev -21.9%

A - just a bit of red around the edges with an amazing looking tall dark tan creamy head. A lot of lacing as the head falls.

S - bitter creamy fruit with something like toasted hops.

T - smokey malts with some coffee and dark chocolate. Some fruit comes through the after taste. A bit bitter though.

M - very thick with a lot of coating. Only a mild tingle under tongue.

D - a bit too bitter for more than one glass.

12-20-2010 02:02:40 | More by biglite351
rye726

Colorado

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours near black with a thin tan head. Nose is roasty with black malts, rye and hops. Taste is dry with a bit if bitterness. Lacks complexity. Medium body over carbonated. Intersting stout, but not worth $10 a 750. I think this would be much better if they turned it into a coffee stout. Right now it lacks direction.

11-20-2010 01:11:19 | More by rye726
Dark Truth Stout from Boulevard Brewing Co.