Chocolate Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Chocolate AleChocolate Ale

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

One of the brightest stars in a city filled with culinary treasures, Christopher Elbow has been handcrafting masterpieces in chocolate for more than ten years. In that time the reputation of his artistic delicacies has spread around the globe. Elbow’s sweets are distinguished by their use of unusual and sometimes surprising flavors and ingredients; in that adventurous spirit we joined forces to bring you a very special Chocolate Ale.

In developing this beer, Elbow and Boulevard brewmaster Steven Pauwels sought to harmonize the interplay of chocolate and malt, with each supporting and enhancing, but not overwhelming, the other. Just the right chocolate was essential. Elbow recommended a rare variety from the Dominican Republic, prized for its robust flavor and aroma, and a personal favorite. More than a mere flavoring, the chocolate — in the form of nibs, or crushed, roasted beans – was incorporated into the brewing process itself.

(Beer added by: HOPPYKC on 02-09-2011)
2.63/5  rDev -29.3%

A: It's an interesting beer right off the bat. The body of the beer is a very hazy orange light brown color, with a fairly light eggshell white head.It has an enormous amount of carbonation, and I want to emphasize the importance of a careful pour with this one. The head is ridiculously huge. I had a bit of a gusher, but I eventually got it settled down. Aside from the foam fountain, the beer really is fantastic looking!

S: I get some spice on the nose. It's a bit hard to place, it is just very spicy. It's a bit of a conundrum, because the beer smells quite wonderful but I get absolutely no smell of chocolate! The beer says "Chocolate Ale" which leads me to believe there is chocolate in this. I get zero chocolate aroma. I suppose I will just go on to describe this wonderful spicy aroma. It's slightly peppery, and smells a bit like crushed salad greens. I am rating this beer as outstanding because it is quite wonderful, but I want to make a public declaration that this smells nothing of chocolate. As the beer warms up, the scent of alcohol begins to voyeur. This beer is leading a double life. It is quite good smelling but for all the wrong reasons! I feel that perhaps I have received a beer that was mislabeled or bottled incorrectly? In the grand scheme of things it still smells outstanding...just no chocolate...

T: Very uneventful in the taste department. I get some alcohol and a tad of caramel. Where is this mythological chocolate that the label claims?! For shame!

M: Admittedly it is hard to focus on something as simple as the mouthfeel when I am cheated at taste. It's fine. I'll rate it "okay" because I am quick to move on with this beer. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

O: No chocolate. That should be enough to deter any drinker with the literary aptitude to read a bottle. I can't say in good conscience that it is a horrible beer, but it is quite poor. I feel that my expectations have been ransacked; that I've been bamboozled! How could a beer boast the proclamation of chocolate and stand with nothing to offer? For those who live in the world of summation and "buzz-words," where is the chocolate???

teromous, Apr 17, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark amber color. The head is about two and a half fingers high, and pale yellow in shade. Very fluffy and soft-looking, the retention is quite good. On the other hand, no real lacing is left behind.

S: Opening the cork reveals a borderline spectacular bouquet of dark chocolate. Then I pour it into the glass, and I'm left wondering - what happened to the chocolate? In the glass, I'm getting notes of vanilla, banana, roasted nuts, caramel, but minimal chocolate. I'm also getting touches of spicy Belgian yeast. Somewhat disappointing; if this smelled like it did from the bottle as it does now, it would be an easy 4+.

T: Some sweet dark chocolate opens it up, along with some caramel and vanilla. There's a genuine white chocolate vibe with the flavor profile. It's even brownie-esque at times. After that, this one stumbles somewhat - some fruity, mildly spicy yeast enters in the middle and finishes it off. The yeast character seems to lack definition (disappointing considering who makes it) and obstructs some of the nice chocolate notes.

M: Rather heavy on the palate, and quite sweet. This doesn't have the deceptive drinkability Boulevard's other 750s have. The carbonation is pretty low, as well - put simply, it's a sipper, not a chugger.

O: A solid beer in small doses - the chocolate flavor (despite the disappointing aroma) is moderately prevalent, but it's a bit of hard work to imbibe. If this were closer to a stout or even a brown instead of an amber/red, I'd like this much better. This is something that you split between 6 or so people instead of drinking by yourself.

ThisWangsChung, Mar 26, 2014

KAP72, Sunday at 08:18 PM

Kevinpitts, Sunday at 08:14 PM
4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Corked caged bottle into tulip. Nice amber brown color with fluffy head. Fantastic chocolate Belgian aromas. Flavor of chocolate, Belgian style trappist yeast, tobacco, really well balanced and unique. A bit of an ommegang style going on here which is fine by me, The chocolate is obvious but not over done. Really perfect balance of flavors. Great brew.

DrinkSlurm, Sunday at 06:31 PM

TigerOwl, Oct 07, 2014
4.16/5  rDev +11.8%

LSDIIS, Oct 03, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -14%

I was disappointed by this offering from Boulevard, which I was really looking forward to trying. I just didn't taste the chocolate as much as I should have. Reviews were pretty hit or miss, and I knew that before I bought it, but was hoping it would be more of a hit for me. Oh well. I'll try another Smokestack Series release eventually since most of the rest of them appear to have been more successful.

dcscientist, Sep 29, 2014

Therealfootball, Sep 18, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +26.3%

Kcskeils, Sep 17, 2014
3.51/5  rDev -5.6%

Type: 750-ml glass (25.9 oz.)
Glass: Sea Smoke oversized wine glass
From: Bine & Vine Bottle Shop in Normal Heights (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $9.99
Purchased: Aug. 20, 2014
Consumed: Aug. 23, 2014
Misc.: No. 14 in Boulevard Smokestack Series; Batch No: CH13365-1; Best by Sept. 2014; Twist off cap and cork

Poured a brownish, caramel, murky color with 3-to-4 fingers of frothy off-white head. Thought the color would be darker. Average amount of foamy lacing along the sides of the glass. Good retention on the top all the way down. (Sight - 3.88)

Smell surprised me a bit. I was expecting straight chocolate, kind of like the imperial stout I had from Boulevard’s a few months ago. Got caramel, toffee, butterscotch, popcorn and creamy vanilla before I even reached the chocolate. Then got dark, rich chocolate, but still had to work for it. Overall this wasn’t too appealing on the nose. (Smell - 3.38)

First taste was like the smell, but it got slightly better. Got caramel, toffee, butterscotch, peas (I know), chocolate, cocoa, chocolate syrup, buttery malts and more green veggies (I know). (Taste - 3.50)

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long, somewhat smooth finish. (Feel - 3.63)

This beer just wasn’t really for me, which is something I rarely would say with Boulevard. Just an OK ASA. (Overall - 3.50)

3.51 | 80 | B-

BucannonXC5, Sep 16, 2014

thumperskibum, Sep 15, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle batch number/best-by date: CH13354-1 09-2014

A strong copper-gold color with a thick, creamy white head (3.75). Vinegar and boiled vegetable aroma! Sour wine (1.5). Smooth mint chocolate flavor with a tart, grapefruit-like undertone; tart cherry with cocoa (4.0). Mouthfeel is relatively light and smooth; fine carbonation (3.75).

I have never had a more interesting and conflicting beer. If this tasted anything like the aroma, it would have been a drain pour, yet the appearance, flavor, and mouthfeel all redeem this thing!. Being heralded as a chocolate ale, I was expecting a dark brown or black colored beer, so what appeared was surprise number 1. The smell really gave me the heebie-jeebies as it smelled nothing like I would expect for a chocolate ale and expected some kind of sour wine/vinegar flavored beer - surprise number two. Lo and behold! The flavor was exceptional smooth, soft, and subtly chocolate overall, nothing at all like what the aroma suggested - surprise number three!. I can't get over the extremely weird smell, but with everything else considered, this is a very tasty, fine looking beverage. A conundrum with depth, complexity, and surprises!

beergoot, Sep 09, 2014

mjanderson, Sep 06, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

ToddBeans, Sep 04, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

mozim, Sep 02, 2014

Hellpop65, Sep 01, 2014
Chocolate Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.