Chocolate Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Chocolate AleChocolate Ale

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

One of the brightest stars in a city filled with culinary treasures, Christopher Elbow has been handcrafting masterpieces in chocolate for more than ten years. In that time the reputation of his artistic delicacies has spread around the globe. Elbow’s sweets are distinguished by their use of unusual and sometimes surprising flavors and ingredients; in that adventurous spirit we joined forces to bring you a very special Chocolate Ale.

In developing this beer, Elbow and Boulevard brewmaster Steven Pauwels sought to harmonize the interplay of chocolate and malt, with each supporting and enhancing, but not overwhelming, the other. Just the right chocolate was essential. Elbow recommended a rare variety from the Dominican Republic, prized for its robust flavor and aroma, and a personal favorite. More than a mere flavoring, the chocolate — in the form of nibs, or crushed, roasted beans – was incorporated into the brewing process itself.

(Beer added by: HOPPYKC on 02-09-2011)
2.63/5  rDev -29.3%

A: It's an interesting beer right off the bat. The body of the beer is a very hazy orange light brown color, with a fairly light eggshell white head.It has an enormous amount of carbonation, and I want to emphasize the importance of a careful pour with this one. The head is ridiculously huge. I had a bit of a gusher, but I eventually got it settled down. Aside from the foam fountain, the beer really is fantastic looking!

S: I get some spice on the nose. It's a bit hard to place, it is just very spicy. It's a bit of a conundrum, because the beer smells quite wonderful but I get absolutely no smell of chocolate! The beer says "Chocolate Ale" which leads me to believe there is chocolate in this. I get zero chocolate aroma. I suppose I will just go on to describe this wonderful spicy aroma. It's slightly peppery, and smells a bit like crushed salad greens. I am rating this beer as outstanding because it is quite wonderful, but I want to make a public declaration that this smells nothing of chocolate. As the beer warms up, the scent of alcohol begins to voyeur. This beer is leading a double life. It is quite good smelling but for all the wrong reasons! I feel that perhaps I have received a beer that was mislabeled or bottled incorrectly? In the grand scheme of things it still smells outstanding...just no chocolate...

T: Very uneventful in the taste department. I get some alcohol and a tad of caramel. Where is this mythological chocolate that the label claims?! For shame!

M: Admittedly it is hard to focus on something as simple as the mouthfeel when I am cheated at taste. It's fine. I'll rate it "okay" because I am quick to move on with this beer. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

O: No chocolate. That should be enough to deter any drinker with the literary aptitude to read a bottle. I can't say in good conscience that it is a horrible beer, but it is quite poor. I feel that my expectations have been ransacked; that I've been bamboozled! How could a beer boast the proclamation of chocolate and stand with nothing to offer? For those who live in the world of summation and "buzz-words," where is the chocolate???

teromous, Apr 17, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark amber color. The head is about two and a half fingers high, and pale yellow in shade. Very fluffy and soft-looking, the retention is quite good. On the other hand, no real lacing is left behind.

S: Opening the cork reveals a borderline spectacular bouquet of dark chocolate. Then I pour it into the glass, and I'm left wondering - what happened to the chocolate? In the glass, I'm getting notes of vanilla, banana, roasted nuts, caramel, but minimal chocolate. I'm also getting touches of spicy Belgian yeast. Somewhat disappointing; if this smelled like it did from the bottle as it does now, it would be an easy 4+.

T: Some sweet dark chocolate opens it up, along with some caramel and vanilla. There's a genuine white chocolate vibe with the flavor profile. It's even brownie-esque at times. After that, this one stumbles somewhat - some fruity, mildly spicy yeast enters in the middle and finishes it off. The yeast character seems to lack definition (disappointing considering who makes it) and obstructs some of the nice chocolate notes.

M: Rather heavy on the palate, and quite sweet. This doesn't have the deceptive drinkability Boulevard's other 750s have. The carbonation is pretty low, as well - put simply, it's a sipper, not a chugger.

O: A solid beer in small doses - the chocolate flavor (despite the disappointing aroma) is moderately prevalent, but it's a bit of hard work to imbibe. If this were closer to a stout or even a brown instead of an amber/red, I'd like this much better. This is something that you split between 6 or so people instead of drinking by yourself.

ThisWangsChung, Mar 26, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +26.3%

Kcskeils, Yesterday at 11:57 PM
3.53/5  rDev -5.1%

Type: 750-ml glass (25.9 oz.)
Glass: Sea Smoke oversized wine glass
From: Bine & Vine Bottle Shop in Normal Heights (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $9.99
Purchased: Aug. 20, 2014
Consumed: Aug. 23, 2014
Misc.: No. 14 in Boulevard Smokestack Series; Batch No: CH13365-1; Best by Sept. 2014; Twist off cap and cork

Poured a brownish, caramel, murky color with 3-to-4 fingers of frothy off-white head. Thought the color would be darker. Average amount of foamy lacing along the sides of the glass. Good retention on the top all the way down. (Sight - 3.94)

Smell surprised me a bit. I was expecting straight chocolate, kind of like the imperial stout I had from Boulevard’s a few months ago. Got caramel, toffee, butterscotch, popcorn and creamy vanilla before I even reached the chocolate. Then got dark, rich chocolate, but still had to work for it. Overall this wasn’t too appealing on the nose. (Smell - 3.40)

First taste was like the smell, but it got slightly better. Got caramel, toffee, butterscotch, peas (I know), chocolate, cocoa, chocolate syrup, buttery malts and more green veggies (I know). (Taste - 3.53)

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long, somewhat smooth finish. (Feel - 3.63)

This beer just wasn’t really for me, which is something I rarely would say with Boulevard. Just an OK ASA. (Overall - 3.50)

3.53 | 80 | B

BucannonXC5, Tuesday at 07:49 AM
3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle batch number/best-by date: CH13354-1 09-2014

A strong copper-gold color with a thick, creamy white head (3.75). Vinegar and boiled vegetable aroma! Sour wine (1.5). Smooth mint chocolate flavor with a tart, grapefruit-like undertone; tart cherry with cocoa (4.0). Mouthfeel is relatively light and smooth; fine carbonation (3.75).

I have never had a more interesting and conflicting beer. If this tasted anything like the aroma, it would have been a drain pour, yet the appearance, flavor, and mouthfeel all redeem this thing!. Being heralded as a chocolate ale, I was expecting a dark brown or black colored beer, so what appeared was surprise number 1. The smell really gave me the heebie-jeebies as it smelled nothing like I would expect for a chocolate ale and expected some kind of sour wine/vinegar flavored beer - surprise number two. Lo and behold! The flavor was exceptional smooth, soft, and subtly chocolate overall, nothing at all like what the aroma suggested - surprise number three!. I can't get over the extremely weird smell, but with everything else considered, this is a very tasty, fine looking beverage. A conundrum with depth, complexity, and surprises!

beergoot, Sep 08, 2014

nerual96, Aug 22, 2014

jplopez21, Aug 20, 2014

Bnoise11, Aug 20, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Two fingers of rocky foam cover the clear copper liquid but leave just a few spots of lacing

Smell: Chocolate spread, toast, peanut butter

Taste: The peanut flavor jumps forward though there is a nut skin astringency that follows into the middle; toast and a powdery chocolate element merge, in the middle; the aftertaste is very phenolic with a medicinal character

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate to high carbonation

Overall: Not quite sure what to make of this; I know this beer is eagerly anticipated in Kansas City each year when it is released but I find the aftertaste so off-putting that I can barely bring myself to have another sip now that I have finished my notes

brentk56, Aug 20, 2014

Zimm, Aug 16, 2014

Daniellobo, Aug 11, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

niqhoward, Aug 11, 2014
Chocolate Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.