Chocolate Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Chocolate AleChocolate Ale

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: HOPPYKC on 02-09-2011

One of the brightest stars in a city filled with culinary treasures, Christopher Elbow has been handcrafting masterpieces in chocolate for more than ten years. In that time the reputation of his artistic delicacies has spread around the globe. Elbow’s sweets are distinguished by their use of unusual and sometimes surprising flavors and ingredients; in that adventurous spirit we joined forces to bring you a very special Chocolate Ale.

In developing this beer, Elbow and Boulevard brewmaster Steven Pauwels sought to harmonize the interplay of chocolate and malt, with each supporting and enhancing, but not overwhelming, the other. Just the right chocolate was essential. Elbow recommended a rare variety from the Dominican Republic, prized for its robust flavor and aroma, and a personal favorite. More than a mere flavoring, the chocolate — in the form of nibs, or crushed, roasted beans – was incorporated into the brewing process itself.

to view more.
Ratings: 854 | Reviews: 262
Reviews by teromous:
2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

A: It's an interesting beer right off the bat. The body of the beer is a very hazy orange light brown color, with a fairly light eggshell white head.It has an enormous amount of carbonation, and I want to emphasize the importance of a careful pour with this one. The head is ridiculously huge. I had a bit of a gusher, but I eventually got it settled down. Aside from the foam fountain, the beer really is fantastic looking!

S: I get some spice on the nose. It's a bit hard to place, it is just very spicy. It's a bit of a conundrum, because the beer smells quite wonderful but I get absolutely no smell of chocolate! The beer says "Chocolate Ale" which leads me to believe there is chocolate in this. I get zero chocolate aroma. I suppose I will just go on to describe this wonderful spicy aroma. It's slightly peppery, and smells a bit like crushed salad greens. I am rating this beer as outstanding because it is quite wonderful, but I want to make a public declaration that this smells nothing of chocolate. As the beer warms up, the scent of alcohol begins to voyeur. This beer is leading a double life. It is quite good smelling but for all the wrong reasons! I feel that perhaps I have received a beer that was mislabeled or bottled incorrectly? In the grand scheme of things it still smells outstanding...just no chocolate...

T: Very uneventful in the taste department. I get some alcohol and a tad of caramel. Where is this mythological chocolate that the label claims?! For shame!

M: Admittedly it is hard to focus on something as simple as the mouthfeel when I am cheated at taste. It's fine. I'll rate it "okay" because I am quick to move on with this beer. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

O: No chocolate. That should be enough to deter any drinker with the literary aptitude to read a bottle. I can't say in good conscience that it is a horrible beer, but it is quite poor. I feel that my expectations have been ransacked; that I've been bamboozled! How could a beer boast the proclamation of chocolate and stand with nothing to offer? For those who live in the world of summation and "buzz-words," where is the chocolate???

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark amber color. The head is about two and a half fingers high, and pale yellow in shade. Very fluffy and soft-looking, the retention is quite good. On the other hand, no real lacing is left behind.

S: Opening the cork reveals a borderline spectacular bouquet of dark chocolate. Then I pour it into the glass, and I'm left wondering - what happened to the chocolate? In the glass, I'm getting notes of vanilla, banana, roasted nuts, caramel, but minimal chocolate. I'm also getting touches of spicy Belgian yeast. Somewhat disappointing; if this smelled like it did from the bottle as it does now, it would be an easy 4+.

T: Some sweet dark chocolate opens it up, along with some caramel and vanilla. There's a genuine white chocolate vibe with the flavor profile. It's even brownie-esque at times. After that, this one stumbles somewhat - some fruity, mildly spicy yeast enters in the middle and finishes it off. The yeast character seems to lack definition (disappointing considering who makes it) and obstructs some of the nice chocolate notes.

M: Rather heavy on the palate, and quite sweet. This doesn't have the deceptive drinkability Boulevard's other 750s have. The carbonation is pretty low, as well - put simply, it's a sipper, not a chugger.

O: A solid beer in small doses - the chocolate flavor (despite the disappointing aroma) is moderately prevalent, but it's a bit of hard work to imbibe. If this were closer to a stout or even a brown instead of an amber/red, I'd like this much better. This is something that you split between 6 or so people instead of drinking by yourself.

750ml bottle

It pours a nice amber color with a creamy white two finger head. Good retention with notes of lacing throughout my glass. Smell is like an expensive box of chocolates with milk and dark chocolate, toffe, vanilla, and dark fruits. Taste is just exactly like it smells with a slight bitter balance to it with hops. Medium body with nice carbonation. Very superb beer and excellent.

3.24/5  rDev -12.7%

750ml bottle, best by 9/2011. Pours a hazy orange amber with a huge creamy off-white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is bakers chocolate, caramel, vanilla and a touch of cinnamon.

The flavor is sweet chocolate and vanilla with a little alcohol and green hoppiness in the finish. Although it's sweet, it does have a dry finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an interesting beer. It's interesting to see a lighter chocolate beer. I don't really think the execution followed through though.

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: 3/4 inch head, moderate carbonation, brownish-orange in color, cloudy

Smell: toasted malt and chocolate

Taste: toasted malt and caramel at the start, pale malt, then big cocoa in the middle an at the end

Mouthfeel: sweet with a slightly bitter backbone, moderate-high carbonation, light bodied

Overall: Very chocolaty. Love the big cocoa taste and it still tastes like beer. This is another beer from Boulevard, that when I first started drinking it, I was like this is just above average. Then it will hit me that it is very good, then I will go back and forth between above average and good until I discovered I finished the bottle and want more...So long story short--a good beer, but Boulevard makes better--or maybe they don't...yes I will get this again--once a year for Valentine's day.

4.12/5  rDev +11.1%

The beer pours a dark amber with a cream-colored head.

The aroma is a nice mix of chocolate, bready malt and some grassy hops. The hops, chocolate and malt all mix very well together.

The flavor is heavy on the milk chocolate. Overall, the beer is very sweet. There are a lot of creamy, milk notes in the beer. There is also some nice biscuit and caramel malt as well as some grassy hops. The hops contribute more flavor than bitterness, but there is a tad bit of bitterness to keep the beer from being overly sweet.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%

a) Great color, a dark amber clear pour with a 1 finger head that was slow to dissipate.

s) Chocolate was evident right away followed by a sweet malt fragrance. All indications that this would be a great tasting chocolate infused ale.

t) Wow, got hit with a bad bitter chocolate after taste that is spoiling the other flavor profiles in the beer if there. I love my dark bitter chocolate but in this configuration it is not just working for me. The chocolate here is not complimenting the beer rather dominating it and it just taste bad.

m) Very thin and light, expected for a regular ale, I would say right on par with the style.

o) Just not a beer for me. All indications were that it would be tasty but it just hit my taste buds wrong. Surprised as I have had great success with other Smokestack series beers.

Found this one just chilling on the shelves, apparently unaware that elsewhere it would be sought after. Poured into my lovely Edwinton snifter.

Appearance: Very suprisingly light in color, not at all what I expected. Orange to amber-tinged brown. Generous head which dissipates quickly.

Smell: Milk chocolate hit my nose the moment the cork popped. Definite milk chocolate smell, not picking up any bitter notes that would annotate darker chocolate. A slight orange/tangerine aroma peeks out quick before the chocolate overtakes. If I get my nose down in the cup I can smell the alcohol, but casually, it's not present.

Taste: Very, very interesting. I think the chocolate may have faded somewhat on this one, wish I would've had this a bit fresher. Most unlike any chocolate beer I've ever had. More bitterness is picked up in the taste than the aroma. The cocoa taste hits in the middle which is rounded out at the end with bitter, slight tangerine taste. The cocoa lingers in the mid, and the bitter at the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Light, perhaps a bit thin. Moderate carbonation which pops at the beginning and all but disappears at the end. Decidedly, however, less of a sipper than its imperial stout counterparts.

Overall: Was delighted and more than a bit surprised to see it on the shelves, had little expectation. To reiterate, quite unlike any beer I've had up to this point. I think I prefer chocolate and cocoa notes in my stouts, but I do thoroughly enjoy this beer. The taste isn't terribly complex, but I think the way it all comes together is rather pleasant.

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am drinking this on tap at the Bryant Lake Bowl. It pours a light, slightly hazy brownish amber with a thin white cap that leaves whore stocking lace. The nose is chocolate over light grains with some light sugars. It has a very intensely chocolate palate which is surprising for a beer this light colored. It actually starts a little thin and grows in body and character as it moves over the tongue and finishes with lingering chocolate tastes. The chocolate is semi-sweet to a little more. Medium body and medium levels of fine soft carbonation.

4.16/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a corked 750 ml bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice. Label best by date of 09/2014.

Appearance: Pours a surprisingly light amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Solid two fingers of off white head that quickly fade into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a decent amount of lacing.

Smell: A roasty and sweet malt forward aroma with big hints of chocolate and vanilla. Toasted malts with big hints of sweet chocolate and cacao nibs. Also some malt hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, yeast, grains, oats, milk, wheat, and nuts. Sweet hints of brown sugar and vanilla. Subtle hints of earthy hops in the background. Very chocolate forward but doesn't smell like a stout. Interesting aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a roasty and sweet toasty malt forward taste with big notes of chocolate and caramel. Upfront toasted malts with a big taste of sweet chocolate and cacao nibs. Notes of caramel, coffee, biscuit, toasted bread, yeast, grains, wheat, oats, milk, and nuts. Sweet notes of vanilla and brown sugar. Some earthy hop notes mingle in the background. Very forward with the chocolate and fairly dry. Tastes good.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. Toasty, creamy, and pretty drying on the finish. Alcohol heat is hidden well.

Overall: A pretty interesting and good take on a chocolate beer. Lighter bodied but a big chocolate malt taste.

3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap at the 2014 Secret Stash Bash (Atlanta).
Pours clear dark amber. Very good head.

Nose is mainly rousted chocolate nibs. Chocolate really comes out in this ale.\: Ii's actually the main flavor component. Still, not as tasty as fine chocolate on its own, but an impressive brewing achievement.

Medium light body medium carbonation.

O: exceptional and unusual.

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

750 ml into a tulip glass

Appearance is a cloudy gold tinged copper. Foamy tan head that fades to decent lacing. Pours really carbonated and thick initially.

Smells like nutty chocolate, vanilla, and caramel. Not a very big aroma.

Tastes are cocoa powder, vanilla, butterscotch. Certainly chocolate is the forefront but not as big as I was expecting.

Mouthfeel is a thin medium. Creamy and well carbonated.

Overall is good not great. Probably won't buy again this year at least.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottle shared by Chris – thanks!

Pours a hazy medium brown color with a half-finger light tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of robust chocolate – more on the milk chocolate side than more bitter and earthy dark chocolate. Also present are very slight caramel malt aromas.

Tastes more beer-like than it smells. Light caramel malt flavors kick things off and are quickly overtaken by large amounts of light chocolate flavors. The chocolate carries through until near the end of the sip, when slight amounts of leafy hops make an appearance before fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I enjoyed this beer more than I anticipated, not due to the fact that Boulevard made a beer with so much chocolate influence, but that they managed to let it retain some beer characteristics and not overdo the sweetness. Worth a shot.

4.67/5  rDev +25.9%

From the moment that I heard about this beer I was super excited to drink it. Especially while i was on a tour, I saw a box of vanilla sitting out on the brewery floor, and pondered to my self, "this must be in their chocolate ale". And I was Correct in this assumption.

Right off on the pour it is a nice dark amber color. Not what one would expect for a chocolate ale. The head is a little off white, with tiny little bubbles and don't really lace too well (could be the glass).

The nose here is an interesting bouquet of smells. Right off, the chocolate isn't quite in the forefront. I get some interesting fruits, round fruity flavors. Next there is some nice grassy smelling hops. They add a nice level of brightness and spice. Then we get to the chocolate, which isn't quite as hidden as I may have made it seem. But, it is there, framed by the other notes.

The first sip that I had of this was really awesome. It literally melts on your tongue then proceeds to melt the rest of you. There is quite a bit on the tongue that is in the nose. The fruits are there. The grassiness is there. The alcohol plays a little bit on the taste here. Nothing detracting in my opinion. The chocolate here is really nice and intriguing. At first, I didn't see where everyone is coming with all the bitter darks. I kept getting the same flavor/smell of what the center of a tootsie pop. But, now on a proper drink there is indeed that bitter chocolate. Leave a finish that is, bitter sweet, dark, and dry.

This mouthfeel is nice, smooth. Silky. Lush in the start of the drink but leaves a nice dry feel. A nice carbonation adds its brightness to this.

All in all this is one damn unique and tasty beer. Perfect for a night, (there will only be one or two...or none..depending) where you can just sit down with a trashy novel and read you single sorrows away.

4.09/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap at Trinity while waiting for Younger.

Pours much lighter than I was expecting, looks more like a light tan soda than a beer, very clear with minimal head. Whoa, the smell is pure chocolate. Like taking a container of unsweetened cocoa powder and snorting a line. Very bitter and complex without the usual sweetness I associate with chocolate, even dark chocolate is sweeter smelling than this. Very unique aroma. The taste is good but not quite as good as the aroma. Definitely still get a heavy chocolate taste with just enough malt backbone to remind you this is a beer. Hard to discern any hop presence behind the the bitterness of the cocoa. The mouthfeel was good, very easy to drink especially for 9%. Overall this is a very unique beer. Most chocolate beers I have tried have been beers flavored with chocolate, this is more like chocolate in beer form.

4.32/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle made a sissy out of me trying to open it. Seriously, holy crap, I almost gave up on getting the cork out. After I finally got the cork out, I was surprised with what I saw. Chocolate beer to me = black in color? This poured a transparent amber color, with nice head that has good retention. Almost looks like an IPA, minus the lacing!

Smell- chocolate, pepper flakes, tobacco.

Taste- big chocolate flavor up front! Wow. Tobacco flavor, with some spicy alcohol notes on the end. Nice warming.

Mouthfeel- creamy, smooth, but could use more carbonation.

Drinkability- pretty easy, the chocolate flavor is a little dominating, so I see this one as an occasional drinker.

2.94/5  rDev -20.8%

A earthy/dirt like aroma followed by a thin ale that while hiding it's alcohol well, doesn't make sense with the lightly noticeable chocolate notes. A rare miss by Boulevard in their Smokestack series.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Big thanks to lnashsig for the chance to try this. I'm quite enamored with the Smokestack series, and always excited to try Blvd's new releases. Batch 2010-2; best before September, 2011.

Poured from a caged-and-corked 750mL bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Turbid raw sienna liquid with a teeming upthrust of micro bubbles feeding the finger high layer of deep beige foam. Superior retention. Thick pasty lacing leaves unusual petroglyphs in its wake, suspended in delicate pools of viscous tears.

Soft but rich bready malt, lightly phenolic and tart yeast, and spicy/fruity cocoa notes in the nose.

Malt and yeast up front on the palate give way rapidly to a long complex array of chocolate flavors. The lush bittersweet ganache-like tones meld well with a touch of spicy hops mid-palate - though the chocolate flavors continue to evolve well into the finish. Beeswax, coffee, dried bananas, orchid, cinnamon, cherry pits, and more come forward - you can tell the source is a good quality chocolate. Finishes bittersweet and peppery.

Effervescent, medium-bodied, and surprisingly crisp/buoyant.

This serves as a wonderful contrast to other top-tier chocolate beers, distinguishing itself by allowing the complexity of the chocolate to speak through the ale, the base of which is closer to Belgian or Italian styles than a rich dark stout (the more traditional vehicle for chocolate in beer). Smart, daring, and enjoyable concoction, this.

3.19/5  rDev -14%

Appearance:
The color caught me off guard, I was expecting a dark brown or black body... What I got was a hazy rust colored body, that is topped with a fantastic, porous off-white head. The retention is poor though as the head was almost entirely gone in about a minute. No lacing and minimal carbonation.

Aroma:
When I close my eyes, I don't have to stretch the imagination much.. what I get is rich, sweet fondue chocolate. Heavy cocoa laced with fruit notes, mostly orange and strawberry. A bit of caramel is noticeable.

Taste:
Unfortunately, the flavor profile isn't as well received as the aroma. Sweet notes of milk chocolate notes hit upfront, until darker chocolate hit bringing along with it some bitter notes. I get some fruit notes, but they aren't pronounced like they were in the aroma. For being 9%, the alcohol isn't detectable at all - unfortunately, this is the highlight. The chocolate notes mentioned are just not enjoyable and the aftertaste is that of cocoa powder with an almost chalky quality.

Mouthfeel:
Smooth and easy to drink and surprisingly light-bodied. Light carbonation and semi-dry finish.

Overall:
I was really looking forward to this, as I do all of Boulevard's Smokestack beers. To say I'm a fan of Boulevard is an understatement. Sadly, as I glared at the empty bottle, I wish I hadn't purchased it - a first for a BLVD beer. It's worth sampling, as it's unique enough to warrant the addition to your palette... BUT(!) I'd recommend going in on a bottle with a bunch of friends - finishing a bottle by yourself might prove a challenge otherwise.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

25.4oz bottle, Bruery tulip, best by September, 2011.

The color is a murky amber, not unlike an IPA, and the head is fantastic. All that foam is tight, creamy, khaki and is sticking breathtakingly to the glass.

I'm not getting a bold chocolate bar aroma, rather sweet cocoa powder with a big earthiness. Warmer, there is a presence of 85% or darker chocolate and a little boozy warmth. It smells a bit like chocolate chip cookies.

Earthy, nutty, bitter, creamy dark chocolate is the most obvious flavor. A bit of fruitiness and herbal hopping play around with more cookie maltiness. A higher level bitterness lays down on the tongue; it mimics that of chocolate.

Mouthfeel is little thin, thin but bitter. Tickling but restrained carbonation works well.

I'd really like to see this be more like 6% abv. It's not that the alcohol hurts the flavor or aroma, but that it doesn't at all add and is unnecessary. This is a well crafted beer, but I have a hard time believing that anybody is going to drink this more than once, twice at the most.

4.28/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very cloudy, hazy rusted copper,
small sand pit on the bottom of my glass

Smell: Malty coco, earthy off the nose

Head: Dirty yellow

Taste: A bit chock coco, little hops and medium maltyness, almost as if it was a McDonalds watered down chocolate milk shake

Weight: Medium to light body

Finish: Malty and a little heat, all the chocolate left my palate

3.62/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to TheDudeRules by way of the 666 BIF round 4 for this one. Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Darkness snifter.

My initial reaction is that I'm surprised by the color. An unappealing cloudy muddy-peach is much lighter than I expected. Nice thick, one finger, cream-colored fine head with great retention. Lacing is spotty and sparse with little cling.

Nose smells almost exactly like a milk chocolate bar. Amazing! Very deep with some spiciness around the edges. Not the most aromatic though.

Opens sweet and sugary. Chocolate overtones in the background from the get-go but very subtle. Cream. Some spiciness creeps in towards the middle along with some fruity esters. Some dark chocolate and cocoa powder at the middle to end, finishing with a chocolatey aftertaste. Lives up to its name.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Some bubbles in the mouth and smooths quickly. Oily and silky going down. Finish is quick with a lingering aftertaste. Appropriate. Nice that this one's not hot at all given the style.

This beer provides som really nice balance between the fruit, spices, and chocolate notes. What is nice is that the chocolate is not overwhelming and there's not a dominant sweetness or booziness. Well executed and very enjoyable overall.

4.27/5  rDev +15.1%

My excellent neighbor once again provides a wonderful delight from Boulevard. The Chocolate Ale deom the smoke stack series hits a home run! The color was a complete surprise to me....I was expecting a dark rich color, but instead it was a cloudy amber beer with thin white head. The aroma screammed dark choclate. The tast starts as a normal ale, then the finish is a sweet hersey chocolate bar. The mouthfeel is quite nice, the abv is nicely balanced.

2.63/5  rDev -29.1%

I must agree with many of those who have tried this 2014 batch of Boulevard chocolate ale, the chocolate is faint and barely noticeable. Two years ago I kept going back to BCA because it was quite simply one of the best beers I've ever had. It was a surprisingly easy drinker back then as well, which was strange for a chocolate beer (of course it's not a stout or porter). The balance of chocolate was spot on, a perfect blend that was just sweet enough. It appears this beer has fallen victim to the cost-cutting methods or alternate recipes so many brewers implement to stretch out ingredients and increase production on high-demand limited release beers. I had been eagerly awaiting this beer perhaps more than any other in the last two years and am severely disappointed with the bottle I drank. I just paid 13.99 + tax for a beer that had absolutely no business being in a high priced bomber. Sure it's a solid "3.0" beer to be put in a 6 pack for 7.99 and sold as a typical craft amber ale or something, but with chocolate that isn't pronounced, and sold as "chocolate ale" for around 15$, ratings should be adjusted accordingly. The difference between the bottles I bought in 2012 and 2014 was night and day. I even think 2012 was clearer copper color, while 2014 looked cloudy when poured. I have one more bottle I'll put away and pray for some miraculous aging and I'll try to find it on tap to compare, but wow. MAJOR letdown. Looking at all the wildly variable reviews on this beer... maybe it's just one of those inconsistent beers where every now and then you get a special batch. *sigh*

2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

great beer! however the chocolate is not there or to subtle for me. I enjoyed it but not sure it should be called a chocolate ale

to view more.
Chocolate Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.