Chocolate Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Chocolate AleChocolate Ale

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

One of the brightest stars in a city filled with culinary treasures, Christopher Elbow has been handcrafting masterpieces in chocolate for more than ten years. In that time the reputation of his artistic delicacies has spread around the globe. Elbow’s sweets are distinguished by their use of unusual and sometimes surprising flavors and ingredients; in that adventurous spirit we joined forces to bring you a very special Chocolate Ale.

In developing this beer, Elbow and Boulevard brewmaster Steven Pauwels sought to harmonize the interplay of chocolate and malt, with each supporting and enhancing, but not overwhelming, the other. Just the right chocolate was essential. Elbow recommended a rare variety from the Dominican Republic, prized for its robust flavor and aroma, and a personal favorite. More than a mere flavoring, the chocolate — in the form of nibs, or crushed, roasted beans – was incorporated into the brewing process itself.

(Beer added by: HOPPYKC on 02-09-2011)
archmagi1

javincik

02-05-2012 18:45:42 | More by javincik
ajzbedo73

1.6/5  rDev -57%

Been waiting 3 years to try this! Lucked into 1 bottle. Here goes.

A: Poured from a 750ml bottle corked and caged into a tulip glass. 2 fingers white/cream head. Body is amber and murky. Minimal lacing that disappears quickly.

S: Hmm. No chocolate. As a matter of fact, its the goddamned green beans! Damn it!

T: A little boozy. A tootsie roll, a damn tootsie roll. WTF! The finish is funky. Like...well, the green beans I smelled. Dirty green beans. Unpleasant to say the least.

M: Watery, watery, watery...did I mention watery? Damn it!

O: I wanted to love this beer. I'm a boulevard freak. But I'm let down big time. A waste of 14 bucks. I hate that I hate it. I feel like I'm betraying you boulevard. Maybe it is you that betrayed me! I got caught up in the hype. I feel stupid. You should feel stupid, because the beer is horrible. A damn tootsie roll? After all the hype I get a goddamned tootsie roll that smells like dirty green beans? I will never, never buy this beer again!

Note: I realize people smelled and tasted green beans from the "infected" batch 2 years ago. That did not influence my review. I smelled what I smelled and tasted what I tasted. I'm starting to think the batch wasn't infected at all. Its just a bad, bad beer.

02-09-2014 03:59:25 | More by ajzbedo73
Fender616

Georgia

1.7/5  rDev -54.3%

I was really excited when I bough this beer, completely happy to pay around $14 for it. Boulevard is an amazing brewery, and produce some of my favorite beer. This little nugget was unfortunately nowhere close amazing, and pretty far off from decent.

A - Definitely not the color I was expecting. Amber, not dark at all. Fine, cool, whatever.

S - Dingy liquid Motrin. Vague Tootsie Roll smell. Smell's like the spray they use in the Hershey's gift shop.

T- Truly terrible. Hardly any "chocolate" at all, except for that weird off-Tootsie Roll flavor. Something akin to cough syrup.

M - Fine, well carbonated, light bodied.

Overall- Really, really disappointed. What the impression I came away with was a Michelob Ultra flavored with Tootsie Roll extract.

Definitely not worth $14. If you're curious about trying this beer, I'd save your money. Or get your friend to buy it. Total disaster, I literally poured this down the drain.

02-24-2014 22:31:47 | More by Fender616
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

1.83/5  rDev -50.8%

From 750mL C&C bottle to Portsmouth glass on 3/29/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, Eric. Well...sort of. --

A: Huh. You'd think a beer called "Chocolate Ale" would look, you know, chocolatey. It doesn't. It's a clean amber color, not too dissimilar to Vienna Lager. Heck, maybe a bit lighter, even. A generous pour yields a .5 finger head that fades too quickly for my liking. No lacing or collar.

S: Terrible. Just God awful. The group thought it smelled like green beans. I thought it smelled like the rotting veggies you see crammed in the back of a refrigerator on A&E's "Hoarders". Letting it warm doesn't help a bit. It just becomes more pronounced. Even if I tried, I couldn't brew a beer that smelled this rank.

T: Meh. I get more white chocolate (which isn't even chocolate) then milk or dark, though it certainly doesn't scream "CHOCOLATE!" Lots of off-putting minerality and baby powder. Very geen, with more of that rotting vegetal quality.

M: Just ok. It's fairly thin. You'd think this would have a thick, liquid chocolate mouthfeel. But but like the rest of this mess called a beer, it dissapoints.

O: Not good or even close to it. Boulevard brews some solid beers. This, though, ain't one of them. Nothing here would ever get me to return to it. Easily one of the bottom five to ten worst beers I've had the displeasure of quaffing.

Fail.

*This is not from the infected batch.

04-03-2012 19:27:06 | More by Rhettroactive
Mein_Bier_Stein

Wyoming

1.9/5  rDev -48.9%

750ml 09-2014, tulip, drank 2/2014

Loud pop, too much carbonation. Not what I was hoping. Have had previous iterations of BCA. They were MUCH better. They had less carbonation, more sweetness and a fantastic aroma, but not this bottle. Have had previous years, both 750s and on tap.

A - Copper / amber color, very much what I expected. Lots of carbonation, not expecting this. Halfway expecting a dry finish beer due to bottle fermentation. Head dies quickly, light lacing.

S - Yeast. Where is the chocolate? Where is the vanilla? If you wait minutes and sneak up on the glass then you can get a faint chocolate aroma. I get more chocolate aroma from a reeses peanut butter cup package, ugh. If you want to smell the cocoa, then you will have to wait again for it to come back, because it goes away very quickly. Never got vanilla from it this time.

T - Dusty, dry finish slightly bitter finish that may be due to the bitter cocoa. Tangy. Guessing that is what they intended because the bottle reads 'fruity cocoa', but more Saison like.

M - Bit of carbonation bite, after it sits while awaiting the cocoa aroma. Much more carbonation at the first pour.

O - A disappointment. Seriously, avoid this.

I could claim I was spoiled by the previous BCA offerings, but I do not think so. I get more chocolate aroma from beers that lay no claim to using chocolate in the brew!

General commentary; I do not know what is going on with Boulevard, I have had plenty of misses with their smokestack 750ml and this is certainly one of them. Yeast poisoning? Remember a couple of years ago they pulled BCA off the market? Yep, due to yeast poisoning. Read the reviews of on tap vs 750 for the 2014 BCA, they seem to vary greatly.

02-28-2014 02:15:26 | More by Mein_Bier_Stein

Reed

Kansas

03-04-2012 02:32:09 | More by Reed
RyanLigeia

Appearance- 3.5 Looks interesting, not what I was expecting. Orangy/brown in color, somewhat cloudy, not much of a head on this one.

Smell- 2 Not a fan. Small hints of cocoa but I cant name what this mostly smells like. Its just...odd.

Taste- 1.5 Again, I can't even pinpoint what the most prominent taste is here. An earthy sort of cocoa powder comes secondly maybe? No hops, no caramel or vanilla like the bottle claims just some sort of intense, bad taste. Did I get a bad batch? The strong ABV is what earned it the .5 only because I like that boozyness in most of my beers.

MF- 2.5 Medium to heavy body with a fizzy carbonation level.

Overall- 2 One of the most unique beers I have ever had but NOT in a good way. Very surprised/let down by this beer. First time boulevard has ever failed in my eyes. Maybe its just a fancy culinary move by Christopher Elbow that went over my head, maybe its just an awful beer. Either way I will NOT be rebuying this one OR recommending it. Pissed I spent $11 on this bottle.

EDIT- Turns out it was a bad batch and the company reimbursed me 100%! VERY VERY cool of them! I'd love to find this beer again and have the chance to give a review on a good batch

02-16-2012 16:43:27 | More by RyanLigeia

drummermattie02

01-05-2012 23:13:41 | More by drummermattie02
DominoDoug

2.18/5  rDev -41.4%

Copper appearance. Almost a tart/sour smell to it. Zero chocolate flavor. I saw people raving about this and had to buy a bottle. Brewer commented via twitter that "it's not a chocolate bar". What about any chocolate at all? Rather persuaded to see if I can return this bottle for a refund after feeling rather cheated.

2014 vintage

02-17-2014 00:56:01 | More by DominoDoug
Prestonlegal

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

09-28-2012 20:34:20 | More by Prestonlegal
Domvan

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

05-17-2014 00:38:53 | More by Domvan
Chocolate Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.